Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Linton Miners vs North Knox Warriors

I’m with you on this.

North Knox is a known quantity. We know they’ll have big boys up front and employ a power running game. As they usually do. And Holtman Doades has been impressive so far.

I’ll admit the Warriors got my attention when they caught Boonville sleeping. NK is capable. And they pushed Sullivan.

But the Miners handled Sullivan pretty easily. In the end I think Linton’s speed and quick-strike, big play capability will be too much for the Warriors.

It seems like it's been brought up several different games how Linton's offensive and defensive line would be undersized compared to their counterparts. Yet I've not seen a game where I felt like Linton's line has been manhandled on either side of the ball. I think they've done really well especially when technically being undersized. 

I also feel like Linton's defensive backs and their safeties have made some great improvements on defending against the pass. 

In short, I guess I'm just trying to say I like what I've been seeing and it looks like the team and coaches are still working hard to improve each and every week. 

Our punting and extra point attempts leave me nervous each and every single time, but I hope to see improvement there too. 

As always, go Miners. 

I believe NKs line is big and strong, but how is their conditioning? Can they keep it going for 4 quarters? think the only way NK has a shot is by passing the ball. Although improved, that is Linton' s biggest weakness. Boonville, Southridge, and North Vermillion all moved the ball much better in the air, and Boonville didn't score until they started passing more. This game should be interesting, but i believe Linton will win by at least 3 scores due to speed and depth.

8 hours ago, globemstr3 said:

Sagarin has this a 4 point spread. I cant see it as the Warriors opponents are like 10-26 and the Miners are like 20-15 schedule. I actually think this will very well turn out to a replica of the ND game. Your thoughts are welcome.

I show Sagarin favoring the Miners on a neutral field by 9 (predictor) and 12.5 (recent). Home field is valued at 1.5.

Official Sagarin line: Miners -7.5 (P) or Miners -11 (R)...Official Hick line: Linton -27.5

North Knox has a solid team. They thrive on imposing their physicality in the run game. If you let NK pound you in the face it will be a long night. Fortunately for L-S this is right up their Defense's wheelhouse. They excel when the walls close in. I suspect the Miner defense will lock down the run game enough to force NK into uncomfortable situations. Couple that with Linton scoring fast and often..not a great matchup for NK. 

To be in the game late, NK needs at least 28 points, more likely low to mid 30's. In two matchups vs defenses that challenged them physically in the run game....Warriors tallied just 18 points in those 8 quarters. Can't see the Warriors getting enough points to hang around.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lp3coda said:

How is NK's passing game? I can see Linton maybe going with a 5 man front in this game to hopefully dampen the pound and ground aspect of NK. 

Passing game isn't bad. Effectiveness correlates to run game success. When they're playing their style and tempo the run to pass ratio is roughly 5:1.

Out of necessity they threw more vs Sullivan & VL. Both held NK to less than 4ypc on the ground. In both games they got behind and were forced to put in the air more.  Not suprisingly, those we're NK's least efficient passing games statistically.

Warrior Field, one of my favorite stadiums to visit.  Love the elevated view from the home side and usually watch the game from there although not from the stands.  Seen too many big teams already have to chase Linton's skill guys from sideline to sideline.  All of them get worn out.  Why will North Knox be any different?  Speed on both sides of the ball has served the Miners well along with sure tackling.  Harrell says 28 - 24?  Don't expect the actual final to be close to that.  The only way the Warriors keep it close is to win time of possession.  Unless they have 3 or 4 long drives and keep the Miner offense off the field, I don't see them keeping up on the scoreboard.

• Like 1

I dont wanna jinx my Miners but now the Big Picture is this.I think the Miners take care of NK. Handily. But maybe not. Thats why we play. EG might as well cancel now. Im concerned about a needless injury. Providence I know nothing about other than its pretty shaky. Bar injury win lose or draw for the Miners. I expect it will be Scenina, Mater Dei, Or Linton representing the South at Lucas Oil.I understand dont load the cart before the horses. But isn't this a fair assessment? I really think so. Thats a better place than we were last year! Kudos to Coach Ollie

Edited by globemstr3

2 hours ago, globemstr3 said:

I dont wanna jinx my Miners but now the Big Picture is this.I think the Miners take care of NK. Handily. But maybe not. Thats why we play. EG might as well cancel now. Im concerned about a needless injury. Providence I know nothing about other than its pretty shaky. Bar injury win lose or draw for the Miners. I expect it will be Scenina, Mater Dei, Or Linton representing the South at Lucas Oil.I understand dont load the cart before the horses. But isn't this a fair assessment? I really think so. Thats a better place than we were last year! Kudos to Coach Ollie

You can not count out Heritage Christian nor the defending Class 2A State champion Western Boone.

5 hours ago, miner_35 said:

You can not count out Heritage Christian nor the defending Class 2A State champion Western Boone.

I'm not so sure about Heritage Christain.

I do like Triton Central and would add them into the mix.  North Putnam is in Webo's sectional.  They could also be a factor.  

10 hours ago, hick said:

I'm not so sure about Heritage Christain.

I do like Triton Central and would add them into the mix.  North Putnam is in Webo's sectional.  They could also be a factor.  

I only mention Heritage Christian due to their game with Guerin Catholic. But I agree that North Putman could have a say as well.

21 hours ago, globemstr3 said:

Well, you all know how I love the Miners, and I would love to see us make a long run in the playoffs but realistically I think the season would be a success if we could win our first 2A Sectional title.  Anything beyond that would be icing on the cake.  We have a good shot this year but Mater Dei will be a tough out, not to mention a couple of others. 

• Like 1

I had two things quickly.

1. According to Calpreps, Linton now beats the Parke Heritage Wolfs 31-30 on a neutral field. I would have to see it happen to believe it.

2. It has been confirmed to me that Linton has an endzone camera. Does anyone know if North Knox has one?

C. According to Calpreps, the Parke Heritage Wolfs beat North Knox 38-20 on a neutral field.

18 minutes ago, Tanka Jahari said:

1. According to Calpreps, Linton now beats the Parke Heritage Wolfs 31-30 on a neutral field. I would have to see it happen to believe it.

2. It has been confirmed to me that Linton has an endzone camera. Does anyone know if North Knox has one?

C. According to Calpreps, the Parke Heritage Wolfs beat North Knox 38-20 on a neutral field.

Why would you need to see Linton beat Park Heritage to believe it could happen? Last year they had a common opponent in North Vermillion. Linton beat North Vermillion 34-7. Park Heritage lost to North Vermillion 36-27. Linton's results are better this year compared to last year.

36 minutes ago, Tanka Jahari said:

You could have seen it had Coach Moore agreed to schedule us like Linton requested. 

2 hours ago, kingtut said:

Well, you all know how I love the Miners, and I would love to see us make a long run in the playoffs but realistically I think the season would be a success if we could win our first 2A Sectional title.  Anything beyond that would be icing on the cake.  We have a good shot this year but Mater Dei will be a tough out, not to mention a couple of others. 

Totally agree, Tut!  It would be great for the Miners to get that first 2A sectional.   However, don't ever get fooled by Mater Dei's record.  They always play one of the toughest 2A schedules in the state.  They will always be in the mix in sectional 40 because of the competition they play every week.  Unless they have some key injuries, they will be tourney ready by the end of the season and a favorite to win it.  I think this is the best shot the Miners have had to win their sectional since moving up to 2A.image.thumb.png.a97065f9929e8c49d2635cc00090cf1f.pngsince moving up to 2A.  

I suspect that North Knox could have success initially with their brand of smash mouth football.  THey don't impress with the pass game at all.. and I think Linton will undoubtedly load the box and force NK to do just that. THe Warriors will either win the battle upfront and churn out a win.. or as is the case in most these meetings...they have to try to do things they are not comfortably doing.  THe other thing is that Linton's offense... can NK's D get stops..make plays, and chase these guys for 4 quarters.  ANother trademark of this game is that Linton gets up by 2 scores or more..and NK can't just run off 8:00 drives and expect to get back in the game. Now they could...if their D can make the plays.  If you get Lannan, Dyer and Howard into the 2nd tier... could be a long night for NK... they will have to get penetration up front to disrupt...but their LB's must also make the tackle in the open field.  I think both teams know each other pretty well in terms of what both do.  Linton has an added level of passing success that I think really really puts defenses in a tough spot.  A game like this.. on the road for Linton... with NK just losing to Vincennes.... the Miners cannot afford to come in flat or slow... seems like we've done just that in recent games with NK.. I know the scores don't indicate it.. but the opening quarter last year was 7-0 until less that a minute in the opening quarter..and just 21-6 at half.   And recall that NK drove 71 yards on 15 plays using over 8 minutes to the miner 5  fumbling on 4th and 3. IN 2017 it was 0-0 after 1... 20-6 LInton at half.  Again, NK's 1st possession they got to the Miner 10 1st and goal.. reaching the 2 and failing on 4th down.

NK is better this year...but so is Linton...by leaps and bounds...  

16 hours ago, Tanka Jahari said:

yes...NK has end zone camera.

7 minutes ago, Tanka Jahari said:

THAT IS AWESOME!!!!! BOTH TEAMS WILL BE FILMING WITH ENDZONE CAMERAS FRIDAY NIGHT!!!! WAY TO GO LINTON AND NORTH KNOX!!!!!!

we have had one for 3 or 4 years now...trying to talk HC into hudl assist...were we can watch on the sideline...lol...so far, that has been a no go...lol

17 hours ago, Miner_Pride said:

I suspect that North Knox could have success initially with their brand of smash mouth football.  THey don't impress with the pass game at all.. and I think Linton will undoubtedly load the box and force NK to do just that. THe Warriors will either win the battle upfront and churn out a win.. or as is the case in most these meetings...they have to try to do things they are not comfortably doing.  THe other thing is that Linton's offense... can NK's D get stops..make plays, and chase these guys for 4 quarters.  ANother trademark of this game is that Linton gets up by 2 scores or more..and NK can't just run off 8:00 drives and expect to get back in the game. Now they could...if their D can make the plays.  If you get Lannan, Dyer and Howard into the 2nd tier... could be a long night for NK... they will have to get penetration up front to disrupt...but their LB's must also make the tackle in the open field.  I think both teams know each other pretty well in terms of what both do.  Linton has an added level of passing success that I think really really puts defenses in a tough spot.  A game like this.. on the road for Linton... with NK just losing to Vincennes.... the Miners cannot afford to come in flat or slow... seems like we've done just that in recent games with NK.. I know the scores don't indicate it.. but the opening quarter last year was 7-0 until less that a minute in the opening quarter..and just 21-6 at half.   And recall that NK drove 71 yards on 15 plays using over 8 minutes to the miner 5  fumbling on 4th and 3. IN 2017 it was 0-0 after 1... 20-6 LInton at half.  Again, NK's 1st possession they got to the Miner 10 1st and goal.. reaching the 2 and failing on 4th down.

NK is better this year...but so is Linton...by leaps and bounds...  

I'm looking at losses to get some feel for this game. The Warriors lost 15-12 in week one to Sullivan.  They lost last week to V. L., 12 -6.  The Miners lost week one to Southridge, 28 -20.  The Warriors have 2 close losses, but I'm seeing they only scored 18 total points in both games.  18 won't win this game.  Unless something crazy happens, Miners should win by 2+ scores.