Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Whats wrong with Lawrence Central?

Guest DT

5 minutes ago, hhpatriot04 said:

Why and when did Lawrence Township split into two school systems? For the record, I was born in Indianapolis and would've gone to Carmel. However, at a young age my family moved to Santa Claus, which is comprised of two townships (Clay and Carter). The entirety of Spencer County with a population of just over 20,000 has two high schools and school systems, South Spencer (HS by the same name) and North Spencer (Heritage Hills HS). 

I bring this up because school districts in Indiana are based on townships, not counties. In the case of Marion, we have many exceptions, but little coordination on definining boundaries. Unfortunately political gerramdering comes into play, but the IHSAA has the ability to limit a program size... Let's say they put the 6A maximum at 2,500 enrollment. What're the ups and downs? 

Lawrence North started in 1976 and it's first graduation class was 1978.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lawrence_North_High_School

I seem to recall from way back when, that at the time Lawrence schools split, there was an attempt made by the powers that be (not sure if it was the school board or who) to offer combined sports teams for the district rather than having each school have its own teams. Not sure how serious this proposal was but in any case it was shot down by the IHSAA.

On ‎9‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 9:51 PM, CaptainHook said:

LC has the athletes, as demonstrated by their runner up finish in 2010 and state championship in 2012 . . . both under Jayson West.

I remember watch LN at the same time, and, if i am wrong please tell me but,  i am thinking  that LN was very very bad like getting bet by 50 and 60 points to everyone  I think in 2012 they just had around 40 kids or so on the team. so from someone one the outside when have 2 schools in one township and one is winning state and the other one has trouble with numbers for at the time a 5a something looks odd. 

10 hours ago, Trojanmp52 said:

I remember watch LN at the same time, and, if i am wrong please tell me but,  i am thinking  that LN was very very bad like getting bet by 50 and 60 points to everyone  I think in 2012 they just had around 40 kids or so on the team. so from someone one the outside when have 2 schools in one township and one is winning state and the other one has trouble with numbers for at the time a 5a something looks odd. 

The players didn't want to play for the coach at the time at LN. Good coach but they didn't mesh. They had 50 players that last year he was there. When Mallory took over he had 120 players in the weight room that Spring. There were football players who wanted to play football. They just didn't want to play for the previous coach. There may have been some defection to LC for some players, but I doubt it was more than a handful. Tre Roberson lived in a neighborhood his senior year that feeds into LN based on the garage sign I saw in my neighborhood. No idea if he lived somewhere else to start HS and stayed at LC because of that.

6 hours ago, JustRules said:

The players didn't want to play for the coach at the time at LN. Good coach but they didn't mesh. They had 50 players that last year he was there. When Mallory took over he had 120 players in the weight room that Spring. There were football players who wanted to play football. They just didn't want to play for the previous coach. There may have been some defection to LC for some players, but I doubt it was more than a handful. Tre Roberson lived in a neighborhood his senior year that feeds into LN based on the garage sign I saw in my neighborhood. No idea if he lived somewhere else to start HS and stayed at LC because of that.

I understand what you are saying and belive what you said is truth, just from the out side it looked a little odd and thank you clearing it up.

8 hours ago, JustRules said:

Entitled student athletes who didn't care for the stern tactics employed by a Catholic school head coach.  But the entitled kids at North Central appear to be responding to their own Catholic task master.  Hmmm......

On 10/1/2019 at 6:07 AM, DanteEstonia said:

If your end goal for not splitting a school is sports, you don’t have your priorities right.

Two birds one stone. The arguments for splitting Carmel are very valid despite Carmel being a top academic and athletic school. If the population of Hamilton County continues to increase, won't Carmel need to be split? It's larger than many private colleges in Indiana. (If another Moderator feels my post is off topic, please split it off...)

4 hours ago, hhpatriot04 said:

Two birds one stone. The arguments for splitting Carmel are very valid despite Carmel being a top academic and athletic school. If the population of Hamilton County continues to increase, won't Carmel need to be split? It's larger than many private colleges in Indiana. (If another Moderator feels my post is off topic, please split it off...)

Don't think you will ever see Carmel split.  Another private school perhaps would thrive in Clay Township.  Carmel just doesn't have too much more room to grow.  

Fishers on the other hand, does.  There has been talk of a 3rd  HS, strictly for academics. I don't know the details and haven't heard anything for a couple of years, but I think the plan is still there.

1 hour ago, TrojanDad said:

But a few years ago, NC didn't seem to respond to Rick Streiff, who had been very successful prior at Cathedral.  He went back to Cathedral and excelled again.  I will never forget Streiff many years at ago while coaching NC playing at CG, called 3 consecutive time outs to up/down his players on the field during the game.  That one will stick in the memory bank.

Clearly today, Coach O'Shea is doing a marvelous job....it's clicking....and his resume speaks for itself.

I think it might have something to do with the retirement of Doug Mitchell (NC basketball coach).  For years, NC was a basketball school and it was pretty well publicized he did not prefer his basketball players play another sport.  

Not discrediting O'Shea at all as I think he is an amazing coach, but I do not think it is a coincidence that both the football and track programs took off once Mitchell retired.

2 hours ago, Temptation said:

I think it might have something to do with the retirement of Doug Mitchell (NC basketball coach).  For years, NC was a basketball school and it was pretty well publicized he did not prefer his basketball players play another sport.  

Not discrediting O'Shea at all as I think he is an amazing coach, but I do not think it is a coincidence that both the football and track programs took off once Mitchell retired.

When did Mitchell retire? Early 2000's? I think NC won a few track titles around then.

52 minutes ago, Justasportsfan said:

When did Mitchell retire? Early 2000's? I think NC won a few track titles around then.

He retired after the 2018 season so right before NC’s break out year on the gridiron. Their track program won the state title this past spring.

39 minutes ago, Warren Central Warrior said:

He retired last year after the Panthers lost to Warren Central in the Sectional 10 semifinal.

You have no shame...

5 hours ago, Staxawax said:

Don't think you will ever see Carmel split.  Another private school perhaps would thrive in Clay Township.  Carmel just doesn't have too much more room to grow.  

Fishers on the other hand, does.  There has been talk of a 3rd  HS, strictly for academics. I don't know the details and haven't heard anything for a couple of years, but I think the plan is still there.

Carmel will probably top out at around 6,000 kids.  Carmel could’ve been much larger such as a Fishers but hospitality and businesses were also very important to them.

You’ll never see them split and it’s not necessary.  Athletics is a powerhouse.  Arts is a powerhouse.  Academics is fantastic.  It’s one of the countries best schools.

13 hours ago, HoosierFB_JG said:

Carmel will probably top out at around 6,000 kids.  Carmel could’ve been much larger such as a Fishers but hospitality and businesses were also very important to them.

You’ll never see them split and it’s not necessary.  Athletics is a powerhouse.  Arts is a powerhouse.  Academics is fantastic.  It’s one of the countries best schools.

Going to play devils advocate here but only 11 football players can see the field at a time...you can only enter 2 athletes per event in the track state tournament, you have to trim your roster to a certain amount for the tournament series in every sport.

At what point is 5,000 kids too many and are you costing student athletes opportunities?  First world problems, but how many junior varsity SWIMMERS at Carmel would walk on to another high school campus and be the best swimmer on the team?

A 2500/2500 split and Carmel would STILL be a powerhouse in most sports...

But its "about the kids" right?

Edited by Guest

49 minutes ago, Temptation said:

Going to play devils advocate here but only 11 football players can see the field at a time...you can only enter 2 athletes per event in the track state tournament, you have to trim your roster to a certain amount for the tournament series in every sport.

At what point is 5,000 kids too many and are you costing student athletes opportunities?  First world problems, but how many junior varsity SWIMMERS at Carmel would walk on to another high school campus and be the best swimmer on the team?

Wait a second....Wasn't it just last week when you said athletes aren't discouraged to come out due to large participation numbers?

Oh the irony.

38 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

Wait a second....Wasn't it just last week when you said athletes aren't discouraged to come out due to large participation numbers?

Oh the irony.

Oh, they "come out" but are playing B/C team games...

Don't twist my words...

40 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

lol

I was very clear and concise in stating that kids would much rather sport the jersey to school on Friday and say they are "on the football team" than go out for another sport.

It's not rocket science my friend...

Now go back to your virtual reality that IS Cathedral.

15 minutes ago, Temptation said:

I was very clear and concise in stating that kids would much rather sport the jersey to school on Friday and say they are "on the football team" than go out for another sport.

It's not rocket science my friend...

Now go back to your virtual reality that IS Cathedral.

lol

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Temptation said:

If you are not a resident of Carmel, In., does this really even matter?  It is their choice.