Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Whats wrong with Lawrence Central?

Guest DT

22 minutes ago, DannEllenwood said:

If you are not a resident of Carmel, In., does this really even matter?  It is their choice.

Then why even have a message board about anything?

I'm not on the Cathedral football team either...

I don't coach football anywhere...

I don't even have a specific school on here that I "support..."

Am I allowed to talk about those things?

18 minutes ago, Temptation said:

Then why even have a message board about anything?

I'm not on the Cathedral football team either...

I don't coach football anywhere...

I don't even have a specific school on here that I "support..."

Am I allowed to talk about those things?

There it is.

Have a great day.  Be well.

10 minutes ago, DannEllenwood said:

There it is.

Have a great day.  Be well.

I noticed your Cubs avatar.  Are you allowed to give your opinion about them?  Just making sure I am following your rules...

11 minutes ago, Temptation said:

I noticed your Cubs avatar.  Are you allowed to give your opinion about them?  Just making sure I am following your rules...

Have a great day Temptation.  I have detracted from the Lawrence Central thread enough by engaging your diatribe about Carmel.

Thank you for your support.

That's fine.  I'll accept the victory.

If you don't think that the influx of athletes at Brebeuf/Guerin/etc are due to some overpopulation/saturation of athletes at Carmel, I can't help you.

Take a look at the addresses...

45 minutes ago, Temptation said:

That's fine.  I'll accept the victory.

If you don't think that the influx of athletes at Brebeuf/Guerin/etc are due to some overpopulation/saturation of athletes at Carmel, I can't help you.

Take a look at the addresses...

In 1990, Carmel lost a potential 6A second string DE (me) to Heritage Hills (father left Ellis for another plastics sales job). 

96th and Lakeshore, grandmother (Class of 57) is a legacy and shocked the family by marrying a Southside Catholic who went to Cathedral. Their children went to NC. 

29 minutes ago, hhpatriot04 said:

In 1990, Carmel lost a potential 6A second string DE (me) to Heritage Hills (father left Ellis for another plastics sales job). 

96th and Lakeshore, grandmother (Class of 57) is a legacy and shocked the family by marrying a Southside Catholic who went to Cathedral. Their children went to NC. 

So I guess you must meet @DannEllenwood's criteria for being able to speak on this subject?  

Carmel to Santa Claus/Mariah Hill huh?  😁

7 hours ago, Temptation said:

Going to play devils advocate here but only 11 football players can see the field at a time...you can only enter 2 athletes per event in the track state tournament, you have to trim your roster to a certain amount for the tournament series in every sport.

At what point is 5,000 kids too many and are you costing student athletes opportunities?  First world problems, but how many junior varsity SWIMMERS at Carmel would walk on to another high school campus and be the best swimmer on the team?

A 2500/2500 split and Carmel would STILL be a powerhouse in most sports...

But its "about the kids" right?

Carmel hosts a JV swim meet every year so their JV swimmers can compete. Swimmers are seeded in the heats from slowest to fastest (heat 1 are the slowest swimmers and heat 4 are the 8 fastest swimmer by seed time). Every event the 8 swimmers in the last heat are always from Carmel. It probably wouldn't be a lot different if the other teams brought their varsity swimmers.

On 10/3/2019 at 7:54 AM, Temptation said:

Going to play devils advocate here but only 11 football players can see the field at a time...you can only enter 2 athletes per event in the track state tournament, you have to trim your roster to a certain amount for the tournament series in every sport.

At what point is 5,000 kids too many and are you costing student athletes opportunities?  First world problems, but how many junior varsity SWIMMERS at Carmel would walk on to another high school campus and be the best swimmer on the team?

A 2500/2500 split and Carmel would STILL be a powerhouse in most sports...

But its "about the kids" right?

My kid is one of those kids that doesn't get much playing time and/or opportunity, but I gave them the choice of going to Westfield or another school in the area and they chose Carmel.  

You played football in the MIC, you know what it's like to go to a large school.  Would you have rather went to a smaller school to have a better opportunity?

8 minutes ago, HoosierFB_JG said:

My kid is one of those kids that doesn't get much playing time and/or opportunity, but I gave them the choice of going to Westfield or another school in the area and they chose Carmel.  

You played football in the MIC, you know what it's like to go to a large school.  Would you have rather went to a smaller school to have a better opportunity?

I did not play football in the MIC but was a MIC athlete.  It's a catch 22.  I'm talking about those WAAAAYYYY down the depth chart.

C team game on Monday or varsity time on Friday night?  That's an easy choice in my opinion.

2 minutes ago, Temptation said:

I did not play football in the MIC but was a MIC athlete.  It's a catch 22.  I'm talking about those WAAAAYYYY down the depth chart.

C team game on Monday or varsity time on Friday night?  That's an easy choice in my opinion.

Most of the kids way down the depth chart participate in other activities too, such as the Carmel MB.  They don't care about playing time because they've got other opportunities.  My son is involved in so many other extra-curriculars that he is just excited to stand on a sideline with a full home crowd.  It's his choice to play and participate.  I've always told him it's his choice, but if he makes a commitment, he sticks with it until the end and gives it his best.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, HoosierFB_JG said:

Most of the kids way down the depth chart participate in other activities too, such as the Carmel MB.  They don't care about playing time because they've got other opportunities.  My son is involved in so many other extra-curriculars that he is just excited to stand on a sideline with a full home crowd.  It's his choice to play and participate.  I've always told him it's his choice, but if he makes a commitment, he sticks with it until the end and gives it his best.

"The Carmel difference"

Being from Cincy, I have known Coach Rodenburg for a long time, and we got to talk a couple weeks ago.  He told me, "The program was not in the situation I was told it was in when I was hired,  and it will take us a little longer to get it going than we thought, but we will get there."  He has great resume and built a great progam at a smaller school in Cincy before he went to Moeller which is typically very talented. Hang in there LC fans, he is a good man, doing the right things to get LC where it belongs.

On 10/2/2019 at 1:42 PM, TrojanDad said:

But a few years ago, NC didn't seem to respond to Rick Streiff, who had been very successful prior at Cathedral.  He went back to Cathedral and excelled again.  I will never forget Streiff many years at ago while coaching NC playing at CG, called 3 consecutive time outs to up/down his players on the field during the game.  That one will stick in the memory bank.

Clearly today, Coach O'Shea is doing a marvelous job....it's clicking....and his resume speaks for itself.

Actually North Central was starting to turn things up while Coach Streiff was there. His first season they went 3-8 and 2nd season 5-7. He then went 6-4 and 7-4. They were gradually getting better. When he left stepped away as Head Coach after 2006 for family reasons NC went 9-4 first year under Coach Haste. Coach Streiff did not Coach in 2007, but did become the Head Coach in 2008 at Cathedral after Coach O'Hara retired.

Edited by FastpacedO
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, FastpacedO said:

Actually North Central was starting to turn things up while Coach Streiff was there. His first season they went 3-8 and 2nd season 5-7. He then went 6-4 and 7-4. They were gradually getting better. When he left stepped away as Head Coach after 2006 for family reasons NC went 9-4 first year under Coach Haste. Coach Streiff did not Coach in 2007, but did become the Head Coach in 2008 at Cathedral after Coach O'Hara retired.

This be gospel.

9 hours ago, FastpacedO said:

Actually Streif was coaching in 2007 - St. Matthew’s 4th Grade CYO team.

• Like 2

On 10/4/2019 at 12:03 PM, bucksfan said:

Being from Cincy, I have known Coach Rodenburg for a long time, and we got to talk a couple weeks ago.  He told me, "The program was not in the situation I was told it was in when I was hired,  and it will take us a little longer to get it going than we thought, but we will get there."  He has great resume and built a great progam at a smaller school in Cincy before he went to Moeller which is typically very talented. Hang in there LC fans, he is a good man, doing the right things to get LC where it belongs.

Bill Peebles had that program going in a good direction. He rebuilt the Southport program and had LC headed north. 12-9 after two years after a three year 10-21 stretch under the previous coach. If Coach Rodenberg didn't investigate the program before he took the job, that's on him. Sorry, this doesn't make much sense to me.

Edited by BDGiant93
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, BDGiant93 said:

Bill Peebles had that program going in a good direction. He rebuilt the Southport program and had LC headed north. 12-9 after two years after a three year 10-21 stretch under the previous coach. If Coach Rodenberg didn't investigate the program before he took the job, that's on him. Sorry, this doesn't make much sense to me.

Maybe Peebles is a great coach who was able to overcome the many flaws within LC’s program.

8 hours ago, TrojanDad said:

That’s fair. 

Wonder what reversed NC’s direction?  Streiff and Haste had excellent coaching resumes. 

I think Haste got in over his head.  Tri West to NC was a huge jump   He's just a good ole boy from the country.  Probably didn't fit in at haughty North Central.  

Streiff had NC on the move.  Steady improvement.  Not sure why he decided to go back to Cathedral.  NC was the greater challenge with the bigger potential reward.  Maybe he was chasing coaching records.  

Edited by DT

16 hours ago, DT said:

I think Haste got in over his head.  Tri West to NC was a huge jump   He's just a good ole boy from the country.  Probably didn't fit in at haughty North Central.  

Streiff had NC on the move.  Steady improvement.  Not sure why he decided to go back to Cathedral.  NC was the greater challenge with the bigger potential reward.  Maybe he was chasing coaching records.  

Coach Streiff left NC so he could watch his son, John, play at Cathedral.  He sat in the stands with the rest of us in 2007.  I believe he had no other motive than that to leave NC.  When Coach Jim O'Hara had health problems, Rick was the logical choice to come back.  It worked out pretty well.