Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Louisville Trinity vs. Cathedral at Arlington

38 minutes ago, DanteEstonia said:

Wasn’t there a “CYO Field” that Cathedral used back in the day?

I believe if I am not mistaken, when Cathedral was at 10th and Meridian, they played at what is now Kuntz Soccer Stadium across from the old Bush Stadium on 16th Street.  @IndianaWrestlingGuy1 isn't that where your dad played when he was a stud defensive lineman?

1 hour ago, IndplsCathedral_Dad said:

This is an ignorant comment.  

How is what I said an ignorant comment? Other schools use donations from people in their community to fund school items. You guys have the whole state of Indiana to find donations from, you should feel fortunate.

2 minutes ago, POTLUCK said:

How is what I said an ignorant comment? Other schools use donations from people in their community to fund school items. You guys have the whole state of Indiana to find donations from, you should feel fortunate.

Anyone who seriously thinks a a parent from Evansville, Lawrenceburg, Mishawaka, Angola, etc is going to send their child to a school on East 56th street in Indianapolis and have them commute have to be kidding themselves. 

That being said even the school you have listed "Avon" has open enrollment i.e. non-resident enrollment:

https://www.avon-schools.org/cms/lib/IN01001885/Centricity/Domain/4744/Oriole Blast 3-16-17.pdf

I've trouble understanding why some still make this tired argument a thing still. Back to the game at hand. Best of luck to the Irish tomorrow against the Rocks.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, POTLUCK said:

It's ignorant, because your are lacking knowledge due to the fact that it's not about money.  It's about land.  Where would they find a property large enough in a close proximity to the school to build a football stadium?  That's why Arlington is the best option.  So just to generalize and make a comment that you did, shows ignorance to Cathedral's situation.  Remember, there is a difference between ignorance and stupidity.

Edited by IndplsCathedral_Dad
punctuation
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, FastpacedO said:

Anyone who seriously thinks a a parent from Evansville, Lawrenceburg, Mishawaka, Angola, etc is going to send their child to a school on East 56th street in Indianapolis and have them commute have to be kidding themselves. 

That being said even the school you have listed "Avon" has open enrollment i.e. non-resident enrollment:

https://www.avon-schools.org/cms/lib/IN01001885/Centricity/Domain/4744/Oriole Blast 3-16-17.pdf

I've trouble understanding why some still make this tired argument a thing still. Back to the game at hand. Best of luck to the Irish tomorrow against the Rocks.

I will continue to make this argument about recruiting until something is done. The only reason open-enrollment exists is so the IHSAA can turn a blind eye to the recruiting that does go on, just like everything else they do not want to deal with. I have witnessed first hand middle school kids being talked to by private schools, and I can assure you it was not about their great academics. I know coaches at the 6A level who have varsity coaches that go to the middle school games to prevent stuff like that from happening. 

On 10/1/2019 at 3:02 PM, IndplsCathedral_Dad said:

I thought the field was in excellent condition.  Heard that Turfdogs, the officail grounds crew of Cathedral, put between $5k to $10k into the field and it showed.  They had started work on it back in April.  A beautifully crowned grass field is a great site to see in 2019 at the 5A level.  

Amen!  At any level in MHO.

23 minutes ago, POTLUCK said:

I will continue to make this argument about recruiting until something is done. The only reason open-enrollment exists is so the IHSAA can turn a blind eye to the recruiting that does go on, just like everything else they do not want to deal with. I have witnessed first hand middle school kids being talked to by private schools, and I can assure you it was not about their great academics. I know coaches at the 6A level who have varsity coaches that go to the middle school games to prevent stuff like that from happening. 

source.gif

Edited by FastpacedO
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, POTLUCK said:

You do realize many middle school games are on a weeknight like say Thursday. So essentially you are saying instead of a Private Schools coach being at practice preparing his team he has driven all around the city and townships  to recruit players from middle school games. I call BS. Even if they are on Saturday most coaches are doing game film with their players running them through conditioning. Not to mention sometimes the team themselves may be playing on Saturday. 

Edited by FastpacedO

48 minutes ago, POTLUCK said:

I will say the same thing I always say as to this.  Indianapolis Archdiocesan schools can’t even talk with their own CYO kids on an individual basis as regards sports let alone kids from public schools.  These are the rules for the Archdiocese schools (and Brebeuf has signed onto that agreement as well).

That said, if you can evidence in some fashion that a private/parochial is doing the things you are accusing them of - then more power to you.  

I am all for nailing hides to the wall in the case of violators.  My guess is, though, that if there are hides at all to be nailed, a fair amount of those will be public schools.

Edited by Lysander
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, Lysander said:

I am all for nailing hides to the wall in the case of violators.  My guess is, though, that if there are hides at all to be nailed, a fair amount of those will be public schools.

Yes, but I think the nails used to nail the P/Ps’ hides to the wall have to be 1.5 times the size of those used on the publics’ ... or something like that.😂

Edited by Bobref
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, DanteEstonia said:

Wasn’t there a “CYO Field” that Cathedral used back in the day?

Yep.  Cathedral's last "home game" at CYO Field was the 3A state championship game in 1976 against Merrillville.

1 hour ago, Lysander said:

I will say the same thing I always say as to this.  Indianapolis Archdiocesan schools can’t even talk with their own CYO kids on an individual basis as regards sports let alone kids from public schools.  These are the rules for the Archdiocese schools (and Brebeuf has signed onto that agreement as well).

That said, if you can evidence in some fashion that a private/parochial is doing the things you are accusing them of - then more power to you.  

They're startin' early this year with the deja vu!😁

3 hours ago, Lysander said:

+1000

7 hours ago, IndplsCathedral_Dad said:

I believe if I am not mistaken, when Cathedral was at 10th and Meridian, they played at what is now Kuntz Soccer Stadium across from the old Bush Stadium on 16th Street.  @IndianaWrestlingGuy1 isn't that where your dad played when he was a stud defensive lineman?

Cathedral - Tech 2-0 for the Old City Title circa 1963ish. 

6 hours ago, POTLUCK said:

Potluck - Sounds like you’re emotionally attached?? Every high school recruits no matter the P/P or public designate. This is the reason Roberto Cox and his merry men granted Open Enrollment in the IHSAA 7 years ago. Build a viable program, love some parents, find a rock Star coach, and they will come. In Avon’s case, you might even have some urban sprawl that marries up west side athletes with country farm boys making a perfect storm like Brownsburg. And, did you see Ben Davis’ record this year?? Sometimes a blind squirrel finds an acorn  

If you want to pay $15k, Cathedral will take whoever you want to send from the west side. It’s a heck of a sacrifice, but he/she might have a chance cracking one of our extracurricular programs whether athletics or the arts. The competition is real though. We graduate 100% of our undergraduates and have 99% college placement. So, if you are not the 6% of Cathedral graduates that get athletic college scholarships, you might be the 30% that get academic college scholarships. Chances are you won’t get either, but you’ll certainly get a value system, a work ethic, and a diverse student body population that will make your child ready to tackle whatever they are dealt. Call it hegemony like my life coach, Muda69, likes to prognosticate. I prefer to call it sacrifice. 

PS. Send Blaze Garcia, Schoef, Conley, or one of your other stud wrestlers our way. We are looking at a 3peat at Cathedral on the wrestling mats too. Just know most of the above grew up in programs outside Avon. How did they get there???

Edited by IndianaWrestlingGuy1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, IndianaWrestlingGuy1 said:

Potluck - Sounds like you’re emotionally attached?? Every high school recruits no matter the P/P or public designate. This is the reason Roberto Cox and his merry men granted Open Enrollment in the IHSAA 7 years ago. Build a viable program, love some parents, find a rock Star coach, and they will come. In Avon’s case, you might even have some urban sprawl that marries up west side athletes with country farm boys making a perfect storm like Brownsburg. And, did you see Ben Davis’ record this year?? Sometimes a blind squirrel finds an acorn  

If you want to pay $15k, Cathedral will take whoever you want to send from the west side. It’s a heck of a sacrifice, but he/she might have a chance cracking one of our extracurricular programs whether athletics or the arts. The competition is real though. We graduate 100% of our undergraduates and have 99% college placement. So, if you are not the 6% of Cathedral graduates that get athletic college scholarships, you might be the 30% that get academic college scholarships. Chances are you won’t get either, but you’ll certainly get a value system, a work ethic, and a diverse student body population that will make your child ready to tackle whatever they are dealt. Call it hegemony like my life coach, Muda69, likes to prognosticate. I prefer to call it sacrifice. 

PS. Send Blaze Garcia, Schoef, Conley, or one of your other stud wrestlers our way. We are looking at a 3peat at Cathedral on the wrestling mats too. Just know most of the above grew up in programs outside Avon. How did they get there???

You stated it well!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, IndianaWrestlingGuy1 said:

How dare you forget 1 heck of a shin dig I mean tailgate!! I have to give some love to the Irish tailgaters @PHJIrish

In all seriousness the IHSAA has nothing to do with Indiana's Open enrollment IDOE would be the ones to look at for that.

Edited by FastpacedO
  • Like 1

Actually the Cathedral/Tech 2-0 classic at Bush Stadium happened in 1962.  Of course I was there.  The place was packed.

Irish running back, Bob Romberg, seemed to score the go ahead TD late in the game, but was stopped short.  On the first play after the stop, Tech RB John Smith was tackled in the end zone for the safety that won the game.  Big crowd, memorable game!

23 hours ago, IndplsCathedral_Dad said:

It's ignorant, because your are lacking knowledge due to the fact that it's not about money.  It's about land.  Where would they find a property large enough in a close proximity to the school to build a football stadium?  That's why Arlington is the best option.  So just to generalize and make a comment that you did, shows ignorance to Cathedral's situation.  Remember, there is a difference between ignorance and stupidity.

I have never visited the Cathedral campus. However, looking at it on Google Earth it looks like they have an artificial turf covered football field. It also appears that there is about 150' of woods to the north of the field separating it from the Retreat House. Wouldn't there be plenty of room to build seating there? Just asking.

Edited by gahoosierfan
sp
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, gahoosierfan said:

I have never visited the Cathedral campus. However, looking at it on Google Earth it looks like they have an artificial turf covered football field. It also appears that there is about 150' of woods to the north of the field separating it from the Retreat House. Wouldn't there be plenty of room to build seating there? Just asking.

That's a huge ravine back there and don't believe Cathedral owns that property, Fatima does. There's also a neighborhood to the East that has an ordinance preventing lights from going up. Even if all that was in Cathedral's control and they could construct a stadium, parking would be a nightmare. Cathedral doesn't have enough parking as is for the students and faculty.

• Like 1