Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Tanka Jahari

Endzone Camera Protocol

Recommended Posts

Tonight, in two different games, both teams will have endzone cameras. North Knox and Linton both use them, as do Parke Heritage and North Vermillion. 

In the instance where both teams have endzone cameras, the proper protocol is to allow the home team to set up their camera first, and then the visiting team will set up their camera in the opposite endzone.

Does anyone have any examples of games where the visiting team set up their endzone camera first? Or where both teams chose to use the same endzone?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tanka Jahari said:

Tonight, in two different games, both teams will have endzone cameras. North Knox and Linton both use them, as do Parke Heritage and North Vermillion. 

In the instance where both teams have endzone cameras, the proper protocol is to allow the home team to set up their camera first, and then the visiting team will set up their camera in the opposite endzone.

Does anyone have any examples of games where the visiting team set up their endzone camera first? Or where both teams chose to use the same endzone?

At a school I used to coach at, the visiting team would hang their "camera" 1st.  They would pull their "camera" (man) up the flag pole and give him a polaroid and say get us our coverage.

#MakeR--GreatAgain

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, DannEllenwood said:

At a school I used to coach at, the visiting team would hang their "camera" 1st.  They would pull their "camera" (man) up the flag pole and give him a polaroid and say get us our coverage.

#MakeR--GreatAgain

According to Endzone Camera protocol, there is only one circumstance that allows the visiting team to set up their endzone camera before the home team. If the home team does not have an endzone camera, the visitors may proceed with set-up.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Tanka Jahari said:

According to Endzone Camera protocol, there is only one circumstance that allows the visiting team to set up their endzone camera before the home team. If the home team does not have an endzone camera, the visitors may proceed with set-up.

Man, I don't know, you have to take that up w Rex.  He couldn't wait to get up there.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Tanka Jahari said:

According to Endzone Camera protocol, there is only one circumstance that allows the visiting team to set up their endzone camera before the home team. If the home team does not have an endzone camera, the visitors may proceed with set-up.

It's true! I read this in the Geneva Convention.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CoachVeatch said:

It's true! I read this in the Geneva Convention.

I feel like you're mocking me. When talking Endzone Camera protocol, there is no room for funny business. Can you imagine two videographers getting into a fight during pre-game because they both want to use the same spot for their endzone camera? There are a million different scenarios to justify Endzone Camera protocol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Tanka Jahari said:

I feel like you're mocking me. When talking Endzone Camera protocol, there is no room for funny business. Can you imagine two videographers getting into a fight during pre-game because they both want to use the same spot for their endzone camera? There are a million different scenarios to justify Endzone Camera protocol.

I help run the endzone camera a lot of the time at Linton. It's first come, first serve. We usually share the same endzone, just one on each side of the goal posts. No big deal.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, miner_35 said:

I help run the endzone camera a lot of the time at Linton. It's first come, first serve. We usually share the same endzone, just one on each side of the goal posts. No big deal.

I find it fascinating that both teams would film from the same endzone. I've always wondered if that had ever happened before. In your situation were you able to have any friendly banter with the other team's endzone videographer? Did you guys compare equipment?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Tanka Jahari said:

I find it fascinating that both teams would film from the same endzone. I've always wondered if that had ever happened before. In your situation were you able to have any friendly banter with the other team's endzone videographer? Did you guys compare equipment?

Yes sir. It helps that I come off as likable, but most of the time the camera guys we deal with are just like us, there for the kids and giving back to the team and school we love and played for.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What about trade tape protocol. I don't know why some coaches employ the tactic where they have two filmers on the box. One a competent filmer with a HD camera using a tripod and the other a freshman with a handheld piece of junk, then send the latter as the trade film. I understand why endzone film is not traded. 

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, senatorcoach72 said:

What about trade tape protocol. I don't know why some coaches employ the tactic where they have two filmers on the box. One a competent filmer with a HD camera using a tripod and the other a freshman with a handheld piece of junk, then send the latter as the trade film. I understand why endzone film is not traded. 

 

I have seen that before, including in my playing days! I know that Linton has adults running both the endzone and sideline cams to get the best footage possible. Now here's to hoping they can get the south window open so the visiting team can get better quality!

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, senatorcoach72 said:

What about trade tape protocol. I don't know why some coaches employ the tactic where they have two filmers on the box. One a competent filmer with a HD camera using a tripod and the other a freshman with a handheld piece of junk, then send the latter as the trade film. I understand why endzone film is not traded. 

 

That seems bush league to me. It seems to go against the spirit of sportsmanship. 

I haven't heard of anyone trading their endzone camera recordings. It's probably too valuable to pass around willy nilly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All this frivolous end zone camera nonsense banter.

Everyone knows that games are won or lost on the quality of pre game meal, lard, bacon grease and other saturated phats.  If those ingredients are not present in a ratio (minimum) of 8 ounces per player, that team has no chance of winning.  If a few octogenarian honeys are present then that team is an automatic 2 score favorite. 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know of absolutely no "protocol" for filming.  As the home team your there first.  Set it up.  Or have your athletic director draw up a map and tell the visitors where they are allowed to put their camera.  I don't intend to mock you but no team should have to wait to see where the home team sets up. When it comes to end zone film what difference does it make?  I believe what you are calling protocol is actually a pet peeve.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/4/2019 at 2:22 PM, Tanka Jahari said:

That seems bush league to me. It seems to go against the spirit of sportsmanship. 

I haven't heard of anyone trading their endzone camera recordings. It's probably too valuable to pass around willy nilly.

We only trade endzone clips of pass plays that result in completions...it is only fair to see what QB is reading.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 10/4/2019 at 9:49 AM, Tanka Jahari said:

Tonight, in two different games, both teams will have endzone cameras. North Knox and Linton both use them, as do Parke Heritage and North Vermillion. 

In the instance where both teams have endzone cameras, the proper protocol is to allow the home team to set up their camera first, and then the visiting team will set up their camera in the opposite endzone.

Does anyone have any examples of games where the visiting team set up their endzone camera first? Or where both teams chose to use the same endzone?

Ive never heard of any formal protocol, but usually the home team has their tripod set up in the end zone before the visitors arrive.  If not, then its up for grabs by the visitors.  Also, we have had both EZ cameras in the same end zone multiple times, and it doesnt cause any issues.

Edited by Coach-Ref_Kiser

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/4/2019 at 1:09 PM, Tanka Jahari said:

I find it fascinating that both teams would film from the same endzone. I've always wondered if that had ever happened before. In your situation were you able to have any friendly banter with the other team's endzone videographer? Did you guys compare equipment?

As I recall Linton has seating in one EZ and not the other, thus they put the cameras in the EZ with no fans. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/5/2019 at 10:28 PM, coachkj said:

I know of absolutely no "protocol" for filming.  As the home team your there first.  Set it up.  Or have your athletic director draw up a map and tell the visitors where they are allowed to put their camera.  I don't intend to mock you but no team should have to wait to see where the home team sets up. When it comes to end zone film what difference does it make?  I believe what you are calling protocol is actually a pet peeve.

CoachKJ, what you have suggested with having the athletic director draw up a map telling visitors where they're allowed to put their endzone camera is a brilliant idea. It's that kind of forward thinking that leads to cutting edge innovation.

I appreciate your perspective and experience. Having said that, there is definitely a protocol for endzone camera placement and it has nothing to do with any pet peeves.

Speaking of pet peeves, the biggest one I ever saw was on my Aunt's Great Dane.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, Coach-Ref_Kiser said:

Ive never heard of any formal protocol, but usually the home team has their tripod set up in the end zone before the visitors arrive.  If not, then its up for grabs by the visitors.  Also, we have had both EZ cameras in the same end zone multiple times, and it doesnt cause any issues.

You have now after reading this topic. This is the formal endzone camera protocol. 

I'm still not sold on having both team's endzone cameras set up in the same endzone. I would think there could be some serious tower measuring contests in that situation. Imagine one team having a standard endzone camera that goes up maybe 25 feet. Then the other team shows up with a Hi-Pod X-31 and dwarfs the 25 footer with an extra 6 feet of extension. Hard feelings could be had.

Edited by Tanka Jahari

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve found that the length of the camera tripod shaft is not the most important factor in getting good video.  It is much more important what’s at the end of the pole that counts and also who is operating it.  I’ve seen satisfying video from the longer tripods, but have also seen some impressive footage from someone with the much smaller systems such as the Manfrotto 504HD with aluminum legs, mid spreader and a padded bag.  
That is a professional rig!  
 

What size system do you use, Tanka Jahari?

I assume you are a videographer yourself?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Magic 8 Ball said:

I’ve found that the length of the camera tripod shaft is not the most important factor in getting good video.  It is much more important what’s at the end of the pole that counts and also who is operating it.  I’ve seen satisfying video from the longer tripods, but have also seen some impressive footage from someone with the much smaller systems such as the Manfrotto 504HD with aluminum legs, mid spreader and a padded bag.  
That is a professional rig!  
 

What size system do you use, Tanka Jahari?

I assume you are a videographer yourself?

 

I really like the Sideline Power High Riser HD camera. It is pricey though.

Personally, to get the most bang for my buck, I would go with the Hi-Pod X31. They offer an outstanding warranty as well. 

I have done some videography in the past along with some chefin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...