Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Purdue Basketball

Coach Nowlin

Read on Sunday that the biggest change over the last two weeks for the Purdue offense is that they have gone back to a previous staple, the MOTION offense.  I went back and watched Saturday's game again and it is extremely noticeable.  Far less standing around and great spacing, leads to smoother basketball, even late in the shot clock!  Hope this continues, as they have been really enjoyable to watch lately!  BOILER UP

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

So is Purdue's Zach Edey basically too big for today's basketball game?:  https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/columnists/gregg-doyel/2020/12/08/purdue-basketball-blows-20-point-lead-miami-matt-painter-zach-edey/6492120002/   (Note: Article is behind a paywall.)

This was one of those games where Purdue coach Matt Painter does his best work afterward, calling out his team for looking as poorly as the Boilermakers looked Tuesday night in a 58-54 loss to Miami in the ACC/Big Ten Challenge.

And they looked bad. Like, what was the ugliest thing you’ve seen all week? Whatever it was, it couldn’t have been as ugly as Purdue big man Trevion Williams trying to dunk the ball from eight feet from the basket, or Purdue wing Mason Gillis catching the ball unprepared to shoot, pausing, and then apparently thinking “the hell with it” and shooting it anyway. Both guys missed, as you can imagine.

Everybody missed for Purdue. Well, almost everybody. I’ll go there in a minute.

But one thing we know. Purdue freshman Zach Edey is going to be a problem for college basketball. Opponents don’t know how to stop him, but they have some help: They’re defending the Purdue big man 8-on-5, because officials have no idea how to officiate him.

Purdue has had issues like this before, considering this is its ninth consecutive year with at least one 7-footer on roster, never more glaring than when Isaac Haas was here and was consistently in foul trouble for two reasons: One, he was slow and large and prone to foul. But, two, officials would call stuff on him that was patently unfair, with Haas making the same “basketball moves” as other players, forcing the same contact as everyone else, but being penalized because it just looked different when that 7-2, 300-pound slab of marble we called Isaac Haas was initiating it.

It’s happening again with Edey, who fouled out in 14 minutes on Tuesday night, with four of those fouls coming on the offensive end, where Edey was generally guilty of being way too large. It’s where his shoulders are, nearly a foot higher than most players’ shoulders. So when Edey moves his arms, whether carving out position in the lane or just swinging his arms, his elbows land in unusual places.

Hear that? Somewhere, a whistle blows.

Edey scored 15 points in those 14 minutes. He was 5-for-5 from the floor and 5-for-6 from the line. He was, and is, and forever will be, simply dominant with the ball in his hands. He’s too big, too strong, and surprisingly agile for someone this large. If he gets the ball, the other team is powerless to stop him.

Well, it’s powerless unless the whistle blows, as it kept blowing on Tuesday night, and at halftime ESPN analyst Sean Farnham, who played at UCLA, was saying Edey committed three fouls in the first half because he was guilty of being large. Purdue assistant coaches were literally pantomiming movements to officials, trying to get a handle on how, exactly, Edey is supposed to move on the basketball court without being called for a foul simply for moving on the basketball court.

Games like this, when nobody for Purdue can hit a shot but Zach Edey, are going to be hard to watch. Especially since Zach Edey will probably be watching with the rest of us.

I'm generally not a Purdue fan but it's sad if what Mr. Doyel is saying about young Mr. Edey is true.

3 hours ago, Muda69 said:

So is Purdue's Zach Edey basically too big for today's basketball game?:  https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/columnists/gregg-doyel/2020/12/08/purdue-basketball-blows-20-point-lead-miami-matt-painter-zach-edey/6492120002/   (Note: Article is behind a paywall.)

I'm generally not a Purdue fan but it's sad if what Mr. Doyel is saying about young Mr. Edey is true.

I was able to catch the first half of last nights game and what he was saying is true. There were multiple plays in which Edey was making normal basketball moves, posting up, etc, and his elbows would hit the opposing player simply because he's so much taller than his opponent. Even the announcers were bringing this up and were defending Edey, mentioning that a normal sized player, making the same moves as Edey, wouldn't have any fouls called on him because his elbows would be hitting the defender in the chest. They were simple moves such as Edey moving and rotating his elbows to take a shot and etc.

The saddest part is that Edey has been playing basketball for only 3 years or so now. He's a natural and is already one of Purdue's best players, but I'm afraid that he might become discouraged and have mental issues if these types of calls continue to happen.

Edited by AG

• 1 month later...

201 February 15, 2014 West Lafayette, IN Purdue 82–64
202 January 28, 2015 West Lafayette, IN Purdue 83–67
203 February 19, 2015 Bloomington, IN Purdue 67–63
204 February 20, 2016 Bloomington, IN #22 Indiana 77–73
205 February 9, 2017 Bloomington, IN #16 Purdue 69–64
206 February 28, 2017 West Lafayette, IN #16 Purdue 86–75
207 January 28, 2018 Bloomington, IN #3 Purdue 74–67
208 January 19, 2019 West Lafayette, IN Purdue 70–55
209 February 19, 2019 Bloomington, IN #15 Purdue 48–46
210 February 8, 2020 Bloomington, IN Purdue 74–62
211 February 27, 2020 West Lafayette, IN Purdue 57–49
212 January 14, 2021 Bloomington, IN Purdue 81–69
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...

MISERY loves company. 

Thanks to there other 9 Big 10 teams to join my Boilers.....   

tough first weekend....  no doubt.     interesting stat:   PU is 17-3 in 1st round games here in their last 20... the 3 losses,  2014,2015, 2021:  ALL IN OT. 

this team exceeded EVERYONE's expectations this year, sucks to go out the way they did, but they have not been shooting the ball very well since Sasha went out with Covid, and the lack of making shots from 3 from working off the post was a huge issue last month .    

IVEY stock was bought by me way back in December 😀

• Like 2

On 3/25/2021 at 10:41 AM, southend said:

Lol, misery loves company, PU goes out in first round.Indiana’s not up to Purdue’s level, lol. That’s how bad it is. 

Maybe IU should hire Painter.  He knows how to win at Assembly.

I'll show myself out.  

• Haha 1

• 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...

unbelievable......
2022 Purdue team....that was the worst loss in program history

2023 Purdue team....hold my beer

Edey takes one shot in the last 12 minutes???? 3 point shooting was atrocious. You had FDU guys in serious foul trouble. WTF? 

• 8 months later...