Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Shortest game this season? Mercy Rule?

I think the WW/Crawford County game was like 1 hr 45 min. Running clock 2nd half. I dont care to pay because that money is for the school. Hell I once walked in rain....paid for ticket and food...then went back to car to watch the game from the parking lot. What's $20 to help the school? I'll never understand why some want to line up on roads to watch but avoid paying. 

• Like 8

30 minutes ago, WWFan said:

I think the WW/Crawford County game was like 1 hr 45 min. Running clock 2nd half. I dont care to pay because that money is for the school. Hell I once walked in rain....paid for ticket and food...then went back to car to watch the game from the parking lot. What's $20 to help the school? I'll never understand why some want to line up on roads to watch but avoid paying. 

Can’t agree more... I will never understand people that don’t enjoy HS sports.  Even with the recent rise in price of tickets in our area, it is STILL one of the best entertainment values anywhere.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, WWFan said:

There is something to be said about enjoying adult beverages inside the fence lines. LOL

4 minutes ago, globemstr3 said:

There is something to be said about enjoying adult beverages inside the fence lines. LOL

Haha. Well that I can see. But buy a ticket....grab a burger...and then head back. At least support the team that's providing you Friday night entertainment. Could be forced to drink with in laws!! 😳

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WWFan said:

Haha. Well that I can see. But buy a ticket....grab a burger...and then head back. At least support the team that's providing you Friday night entertainment. Could be forced to drink with in laws!! 😳

I agree. At least buy a ticket. Im only speaking for Linton. As there is a neighborhood that has open view to the game. Guys and gals are cooking on site and that's just a win win for them. But Yes buy a ticket to enjoy that event.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, IndianaWrestlingGuy1 said:

Cathedral - Jeffersonville was running clock in the 1st quarter, I believe. If not, it was first possession of Q2. 

It should not have. I'm pretty sure the rule states 35 point difference in the 2nd half.  

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, hhpatriot04 said:

What's the shortest, four-quarter game that you have been to this year (by real time)? 

Did the Mercy Rule come into play or just two running teams with long drives? 

Do you feel like you should pay less for a short game or do you see it as getting home sooner? 

Our mercy rule games have ended up being about the same real time as normal games. Since the clock doesn’t run until the second half. Of the three we’ve had, one first half was 1:40, followed by a 20 minute half and 26 minute second half. Second game started late, waited on visitors to arrive. 1:20 to play first half, a 20 minute halftime that turned into nearly 30 minutes, took about 30 minutes to play the second half with two scores. Last one similar situation, only we had a clock operator that apparently couldn’t follow instructions. I’m still icing my shoulder.

As a crew our games average about 2:12 in real time. We had one this year that was 3:10......two team that had QB’s who could sling it, just not blessed with players that could catch it. 

Not sure what game was shortest for Heritage Hills  we have had running clocks in 6 of 7 games the Jasper game being the only one without a running clock.

We had 2 games where the running clock started at halftime Mount Vernon and Pike Central, 2 started in middle of 3rd quarter Tell City and North Posey and 2 started late 4th quarter Gibson Southern and Southridge.

My guess would   be Mount Vernon because neither team scored or used a timeout in the 2nd half.

Our running clock games (3 of 7) have been 1:48, 1:51, and 2:10 (all running at halftime or early in 3rd quarter). Our average for the season is 2:16. The non-running clock games average 2:30. We had a 2:55 with a lot of scoring and passing and penalties as well as several hydration/cramping time outs.

I've talked to crews who have had a running clock at some point in every game.

No, the running clock only started in the 2nd half of the Cathedral/Jeffersonville game.  It was the quickest 2nd half you can even imagine!  The clock should have been running after the first quarter but the rule states it's only in the 2nd half.

The increase in the use of the running clock is another indication that competitive balance is severely out of alignment and contraction should be considered as the ultimate option for some schools.

Its the right thing to do in many cases.

1 hour ago, DT said:

The increase in the use of the running clock is another indication that competitive balance is severely out of alignment and contraction should be considered as the ultimate option for some schools.

Most states have been using a mercy rule for many years. It's an indication we are finally in line with the rest of the country.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DT said:

Why are there so many large school people trying to do away with football in the small schools on here?  Seriously.  

So because schools only have 300 students, they shouldn't be allowed to play football?  How dumb of a mindset is that?

2 hours ago, Daniel_Bragg said:

Why are there so many large school people trying to do away with football in the small schools on here?  Seriously.  

So because schools only have 300 students, they shouldn't be allowed to play football?  How dumb of a mindset is that?

Its not just a small school issue

20 minutes ago, Gipper said:

Get over it.  This isn’t up to you.

No its not.  But the GID Forum members certainly have a voice when it comes to major issues which impact-affect the game of high school football.

This forum is widely read by administrators, coaches, IHSAA members and other community leaders who make decisions that impact the game.  Some of us use this forum as a lobbying tool to influence those decisions.

Our greatest impact was felt during The Multiplier Debate, which ultimately was adopted by the IHSAA in the watered down format known as the Success Factor.  

It took a decade for the Success Factor to move from radical idea to actual policy.  

Contraction is a different issue, and potentially of even greater import as it deals with multiple issues including school finances, changing demographic and socio economic trends and player safety.

I would be very concerned as a parent to send my South Newton teenager out to the practice field for a team that is 1-36 in the past 4 seasons and is outscored by nearly 60 points per game weekly.  A program that barely has enough live bodies to conduct a decent practice.  A program that cannot develop young players at lower levels because participation is at all time lows.  These are real issues that are all trending in the wrong direction.  

As I have stated before many times, schools are not obligated to offer football on the extra curricular menu.  Football consumes huge amounts of resources.  Admins have an obligation to objectively evaluate their respective programs and determine if moving forward, despite these horrific results, is a wise investment for the school and a worthwhile experience for the student athlete.

1A 41 E-MAIL CORRECTIONS MAP TO SCHOOL 0-7
TOURNAMENT HISTORY
SOUTH NEWTON
REBELS
Coach: Brad Bevis, 1-36 in 4th year at school
DATE OPPONENT CENTRAL TIME OA 6.9, DA 54.7

Aug. 23   North Newton 2A © L 0 58    
Aug. 30 at West Central 1A © L 14 68    
Sep. 6   Frontier 1A © L 0 38    
Sep. 13   Carroll (Flora) 1A L 14 65    
Sep. 20 at Tri-County 1A © L 20 42    
Sep. 27 at Covington 1A L 0 52    
Oct. 4   North White 1A © L 0 60    
Oct. 11 at Casey-Westfield (Ill.) 7:00 pm    
Oct. 18 at Lake Station 1A 7:00 pm    
©MIDWEST CONFERENCE GAME

Edited by DT

9 hours ago, DT said:

No its not.  But the GID Forum members certainly have a voice when it comes to major issues which impact-affect the game of high school football.

This forum is widely read by administrators, coaches, IHSAA members and other community leaders who make decisions that impact the game.  Some of us use this forum as a lobbying tool to influence those decisions.

Our greatest impact was felt during The Multiplier Debate, which ultimately was adopted by the IHSAA in the watered down format known as the Success Factor.  

It took a decade for the Success Factor to move from radical idea to actual policy.  

Contraction is a different issue, and potentially of even greater import as it deals with multiple issues including school finances, changing demographic and socio economic trends and player safety.

I would be very concerned as a parent to send my South Newton teenager out to the practice field for a team that is 1-36 in the past 4 seasons and is outscored by nearly 60 points per game weekly.  A program that barely has enough live bodies to conduct a decent practice.  A program that cannot develop young players at lower levels because participation is at all time lows.  These are real issues that are all trending in the wrong direction.  

As I have stated before many times, schools are not obligated to offer football on the extra curricular menu.  Football consumes huge amounts of resources.  Admins have an obligation to objectively evaluate their respective programs and determine if moving forward, despite these horrific results, is a wise investment for the school and a worthwhile experience for the student athlete.

1A 41 E-MAIL CORRECTIONS MAP TO SCHOOL 0-7
TOURNAMENT HISTORY
SOUTH NEWTON
REBELS
Coach: Brad Bevis, 1-36 in 4th year at school
DATE OPPONENT CENTRAL TIME OA 6.9, DA 54.7

Aug. 23   North Newton 2A © L 0 58    
Aug. 30 at West Central 1A © L 14 68    
Sep. 6   Frontier 1A © L 0 38    
Sep. 13   Carroll (Flora) 1A L 14 65    
Sep. 20 at Tri-County 1A © L 20 42    
Sep. 27 at Covington 1A L 0 52    
Oct. 4   North White 1A © L 0 60    
Oct. 11 at Casey-Westfield (Ill.) 7:00 pm    
Oct. 18 at Lake Station 1A 7:00 pm    
©MIDWEST CONFERENCE GAME

Laughable. 

Are there some movers and shakers who read, probably, but to say we have a voice is laughable. 

• Disdain 1

10 minutes ago, Impartial_Observer said:

Laughable. 

Are there some movers and shakers who read, probably, but to say we have a voice is laughable. 

I disagree

The Multiplier discussion on this forum from 2003-2007 was a lobbying tool that brought a great deal of attention to the issue, as both sides of the debate were represented.  

Do we influence policy?  Debateable

Do we shed light on critical issues impacting the game?  Definitely.  Moreso then than now, as The Forum is not nearly as widely read as it used to be.  

Edited by DT

18 minutes ago, DT said:

I disagree

The Multiplier discussion on this forum from 2003-2007 was a lobbying tool that brought a great deal of attention to the issue, as both sides of the debate were represented.  

Do we influence policy?  Debateable

Do we shed light on critical issues impacting the game?  Definitely.  Moreso then than now, as The Forum is not nearly as widely read as it used to be.  

The multiplier issue was on the IFCA's mind long before this forum existed. The challenge was getting a formula you could get the IFCA to agree on.