Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Shortest game this season? Mercy Rule?

I'm not suggesting that we invented the idea.  I'm suggesting that our lobbying efforts were recognized and influential relative to the final outcome.

I have no doubt that the IHSAA was fully aware of the heavy PP pushback that was clearly evident on this forum, and took that into account when watering down the proposal to limit potential legal exposure.

I know SN's record.  Although disappointing, I don't believe it means black SUVs full of IHSAA officials are going to raid the athletic department ad confiscate all of the football equipment, carve a giant X in the middle of the field, blow up the scoreboard, and let out Lucky, the team mascot (goat if you will).  This crap was funny, but now it has turned personal.

5 hours ago, DT said:

I disagree

The Multiplier discussion on this forum from 2003-2007 was a lobbying tool that brought a great deal of attention to the issue, as both sides of the debate were represented.  

Do we influence policy?  Debateable

Do we shed light on critical issues impacting the game?  Definitely.  Moreso then than now, as The Forum is not nearly as widely read as it used to be.  

TA, rest in peace, would also disagree. I have stood on enough state final sidelines and been in the boxes to know that IHSAA board members and administrators know and read TGD. Some may poke fun at what is said, ADs and coaches may dismiss it, but it reasonates. I don't think we get the Success Factor implemented as quickly as it was if it were not for TGD.

Conference rearrangements have also been sparked by TGD discussions. I don't agree with a lot of what you say, but you are right on, on this topic.

20 hours ago, Gipper said:

I know SN's record.  Although disappointing, I don't believe it means black SUVs full of IHSAA officials are going to raid the athletic department ad confiscate all of the football equipment, carve a giant X in the middle of the field, blow up the scoreboard, and let out Lucky, the team mascot (goat if you will).  This crap was funny, but now it has turned personal.

And nobody is saying that the IHSAA will send the "black SUV's" to South Newton.  But one has to ask; has this complete lack of competitiveness over an extended period of time become a serious topic of discussion among SN administrators and most importantly the SN school board?  

Just now, Impartial_Observer said:

This may come as a shock to you Muda, but some of us have ties to Indiana HS Football other than our interactions on this board. 

Not a shock to me at all IO.  I would just like to see some concrete evidence of your assertion.  That's all.

3 hours ago, Impartial_Observer said:

Sure, I made it up. 

P/P dominance in November just happened to coincide with this forum opening up. 

There were definitely jealousy talks in the 1990s, but most conversations were very local (old time Bosse and Evansville Central alumni complaining about Memorial's rise in the 1980s come to mind). What didn't really exist until you had email and lists was people from across the state debating. I still see baseball statistician (professional) email lists with "threads" dated back pre-1995.

@DK_Barons or @77Jimmie may be able to elaborate on if there were IN HS football mailing lists, and if so, what the main topics were and who was involved.

8 minutes ago, hhpatriot04 said:

There were definitely jealousy talks in the 1990s, but most conversations were very local (old time Bosse and Evansville Central alumni complaining about Memorial's rise in the 1980s come to mind). What didn't really exist until you had email and lists was people from across the state debating. I still see baseball statistician (professional) email lists with "threads" dated back pre-1995.

@DK_Barons or @77Jimmie may be able to elaborate on if there were IN HS football mailing lists, and if so, what the main topics were and who was involved.

I'm not going to argue that point to the masses. Memorial wasn't a local issue, it was discussed in Football "networks" (remember when there was face to face networking) around the state. I don't recall any mail lists, usenet groups, or even chat rooms back in the day devoted to Indiana HS Football, I'm not saying they weren't out there, I just never ran across any. 

8 minutes ago, Impartial_Observer said:

I'm not going to argue that point to the masses. Memorial wasn't a local issue, it was discussed in Football "networks" (remember when there was face to face networking) around the state. I don't recall any mail lists, usenet groups, or even chat rooms back in the day devoted to Indiana HS Football, I'm not saying they weren't out there, I just never ran across any. 

Not meant to be argumentative. Eventually, when I chronicle more of IN HS football on Wikipedia (if @Rudy doesn't beat it to me first), having that knowledge and some of those old email chains are invaluable. Having worked in newsrooms, so much data is lost when writers retire. The Bloomington H-T, which had some of the best preps coverage due to the team that included Harrell had all kinds of box scores from the 1970s in all sports and team records for all the local schools going back to the early 1900s just sitting in a file organizer... In another life, I would tour every small newspaper and AD office and digitize it all. TA had started doing around the state podcasts, but monetizing it was difficult at the time. Perhaps now it's easier. 

@Rudy's books make great Christmas presents... http://almanacsports.com/football/

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, hhpatriot04 said:

Not meant to be argumentative. Eventually, when I chronicle more of IN HS football on Wikipedia (if @Rudy doesn't beat it to me first), having that knowledge and some of those old email chains are invaluable. Having worked in newsrooms, so much data is lost when writers retire. The Bloomington H-T, which had some of the best preps coverage due to the team that included Harrell had all kinds of box scores from the 1970s in all sports and team records for all the local schools going back to the early 1900s just sitting in a file organizer... In another life, I would tour every small newspaper and AD office and digitize it all. TA had started doing around the state podcasts, but monetizing it was difficult at the time. Perhaps now it's easier. 

@Rudy's books make great Christmas presents... http://almanacsports.com/football/

Word. 

4 hours ago, Impartial_Observer said:

Word. 

This is why I wouldn't use Facebook for documentation purposes. Wikipedia is a better option as any media posted must not already be copyrighted or have explicit written permission to share... Trademarks can be a bit different. Working in a sector and geographic region where copyright law is not enforced, but still using Facebook/Twitter, has forced me to learn much about how much protected material can be shared and end-use agreements.

Thankfully, as most schools are funded by taxpayers, their information can be openly dissemenated without much concern for infringing on copyright. I would need some clarity on P/P school information (i.e. posting a yearbook photo of Chatard's 2000 football team).