Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Indiana Hoosier Football Reaches Pivot Point

Guest DT

For IU fans, we have reached a very familiar point in the 2019 football season.

The Hoosiers are 3-2, with three wins over non con patsies and two losses against Big Ten East divisional foes.

Sound familiar?

It certainly is.

Which way will this Indiana team go from here?  Will they pick up their usual 1 to 3 conference wins and chase a shitty bowl berth until the outcome of the Purdue game or will they step on the gas and make this season a real turning point in Tom Allen's tenure in Bloomington?

The schedule is very favorable to IU.  No Wisconsin or Iowa this year from the west, nor a resurgent unbeaten 5-0 Minnesota team.  

The next 4 weeks line up perfectly for Indiana

Rutgers at Home

at Maryland

at Nebraska

Northwestern at Home

Penn State and Michigan follow, and than Purdue.

Allen, ever the optimist, is surely eyeing a sweep of the next 4 games, which will make Indiana bowl eligible at 7-2 heading in the road game at Penn State.  The Lions look like a top ten team.  Michigan, the following week, looks vulnerable, as does one win Purdue.

This is the most critical stretch for Allen since he arrived in B Town.  His program can take a huge step forward in the next month, or it can also be the same old IU.

Indiana should light up Rutgers this week, and then go into College Park , Maryland with a chance to build some momentum.  

Lets see what Allen can do with this opportunity.

Edited by DT

Hoping the Hoosiers can get on a roll here. The next four are definitely winnable. I get that this is a pivotal moment for Allen here. But reality is that there are not a lot of coaches knocking down the door to take the program over. If there is a change even after next season, then it sets the program back yet again. It is a vicious cycle the AD has in place here.

On 10/7/2019 at 1:53 PM, Irishman said:

Hoping the Hoosiers can get on a roll here. The next four are definitely winnable. I get that this is a pivotal moment for Allen here. But reality is that there are not a lot of coaches knocking down the door to take the program over. If there is a change even after next season, then it sets the program back yet again. It is a vicious cycle the AD has in place here.

Big win today. 4-2. Now just need two more. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ultimate Warrior said:

Big win today. 4-2. Now just need two more. 

I’m glad the Hoosiers won today. But going into the game, Rutgers was #139 in Sagarin ratings ... behind 21 FCS teams, including traditional powers like Dartmouth, South Dakota St., and Nichols St. If that’s your “big” win ...

1 hour ago, Bobref said:

I’m glad the Hoosiers won today. But going into the game, Rutgers was #139 in Sagarin ratings ... behind 21 FCS teams, including traditional powers like Dartmouth, South Dakota St., and Nichols St. If that’s your “big” win ...

Any conference win is a big win.

6 hours ago, Ultimate Warrior said:

Any conference win is a big win.

I think it would be more accurate to say that “any conference win is bigger than any non-conference win.” But if you’re looking at a game to serve as a barometer, telling you where your program is at a given time, a home win over Rutgers doesn’t tell you much.

On 10/13/2019 at 11:20 AM, TrojanDad said:

Bottom line, IU did what they were supposed to do....looked sluggish in the 2nd quarter...coaching staff woke them up for the 2nd half.  They won easily, got some reps for players needing them.  On to the next game.

Says a lot when IU is a 28 point fav over a fellow Big 10 team.  I get Rutgers is in the NYC market, but I have to wonder if the Big 10 is questioning themselves......

Would like to see Rutgers out and Missouri in.  That would push Purdue over to the east.  LOL

Edited by DT

1 hour ago, Gipper said:

I wouldn't mind seeing Pitt in the league.  But UNC is the Holy Grail and to a certain extent Texas.

UNC was Jim Delaney's Holy Grail.  He is gone and that likely now will never happen.  Big Ten only takes major land grant institutions.  Missouri is one.  Pitt is not.  Penn State would likely block Pitt anyway.  

Edited by DT

57 minutes ago, DT said:

UNC was Jim Delaney's Holy Grail.  He is gone and that likely now will never happen.  Big Ten only takes major land grant institutions.  Missouri is one.  Pitt is not.  Penn State would likely block Pitt anyway.  

Methinks that would change should the likes of Notre Dame come a calling...................

• Disdain 1

Just now, Muda69 said:

Methinks that would change should the likes of Notre Dame come a calling...................

I believe they are attached to The ACC my friend.

Typical.  A tread on IU football and all of a sudden, Notre Dame is the topic.  :classic_sleep:

Getting back to the Hoosiers, Saturday will tell a lot about this team.  Going into a hostile environment and needing a win to keep the bowl game alive.

This years team is improving and Maryland is up and down this year but are at home.  The Hoosiers are going to need a great game out of Penix and the defense needs to hold Maryland under 20 points.  This happen and the Hoosiers head home at 5-2.

• Haha 1

IF (big if) IU is improved, then they should win the next 3.  If it's still the same old IU, then they will lose to Maryland and Nebraska.  They will have to wait until the bucket game to be bowl eligible and somehow I'm not sure they can even win that one.  Purdue can practically be winless and still pull out that game.

17 hours ago, CoachK5 said:

Typical.  A tread on IU football and all of a sudden, Notre Dame is the topic.  :classic_sleep:

Getting back to the Hoosiers, Saturday will tell a lot about this team.  Going into a hostile environment and needing a win to keep the bowl game alive.

This years team is improving and Maryland is up and down this year but are at home.  The Hoosiers are going to need a great game out of Penix and the defense needs to hold Maryland under 20 points.  This happen and the Hoosiers head home at 5-2.

It is getting awfully close to Reversible jacket season!!!!   

5 minutes ago, TrojanDad said:

I was in Memorial Stadium as a high school kid when the Huskers came into town....back in the Corso and Osborne days.

IU won the toss and received to open the game.  WR/KR Duane Gunn took the opening kick back for a TD....IU led 7-0.

Final score Nebraska 63 IU 17..........

I can't remember....is that the game Corso got a picture of the scoreboard after the kickoff??

https://www.huskermax.com/games/indianaBT.html

Indiana actually leads the all time series against NU 9-8-3.

My Dad played in the 1959 game in Lincoln, 23-7 IU win.

Yes, That was the corso scoreboard game.  LOL

Edited by DT