Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Indiana Hoosier Football Reaches Pivot Point

Guest DT

Just now, itiswhatitis said:

Gotcha.  Wasn't considering Ramsey as the starter.  I see what you did there you rascal.  I don't know who the backup would be.  Let's hope they don't have to worry about that.

No problem.  I think I heard the other QB that came in to challenge for the starting position had left the program. I haven't seen the roster, but I think Taylor might be the guy.  The way Ramsey runs an injury isn't out of the question.  And, I'm pretty sure Nebraska is a little more physical than either Rutgers or Maryland.

2 minutes ago, Staxawax said:

No problem.  I think I heard the other QB that came in to challenge for the starting position had left the program. I haven't seen the roster, but I think Taylor might be the guy.  The way Ramsey runs an injury isn't out of the question.  And, I'm pretty sure Nebraska is a little more physical than either Rutgers or Maryland.

Maryland tried to be physical,  but I agree.  Nebraska will be more physical than those 2 teams you named.  I would have to say that Michigan State was probably the most physical team that IU has played, even more so than the Buckeyes.  I still think the Buckeyes are the best team in the country.  They still have Wisconsin and Penn State to play (the Buckeyes that is).  I'm thinking IU will probably win 7 games this year.  

30 minutes ago, Staxawax said:

Ramsey is a very good passer.  Penix is an elite passer.  He shouldn't be running at all.  Just after the commentators said Tom Allen wants his QB's running more, Penix ran and was tackled hard......... result?  Out for the rest of the game.  He should remain a pocket passer and if forced to run slide baby slide.  

But, having said this IU's weak spot was and is it's defense.  They will stand up a RB for a loss one play, then give up 40 yards the next.  

If Penix can't play against Nebraska, who is the backup?  Reese Taylor?

Hate quoting my own post....... Checked the roster and there are 4 other QB's listed, including Jack Tuttle, the red-shirt freshman that transferred from Utah.  I had heard he was going to leave but I cannot confirm that.  The other 3 I don't think have taken any practice snaps to speak of.  Reese did play some offense last year so he has some experience handling the ball.  But hope it doesn't come down to this.

If Penix can get and stay healthy, he will surpass all other Hoosiers as the all-time leading passer.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Staxawax said:

Hate quoting my own post....... Checked the roster and there are 4 other QB's listed, including Jack Tuttle, the red-shirt freshman that transferred from Utah.  I had heard he was going to leave but I cannot confirm that.  The other 3 I don't think have taken any practice snaps to speak of.  Reese did play some offense last year so he has some experience handling the ball.  But hope it doesn't come down to this.

If Penix can get and stay healthy, he will surpass all other Hoosiers as the all-time leading passer.

Halfway thru this critical 4 week stretch and 2-0 so far.

Now comes the big trip to Lincoln.  

Stevie Scott reminded me a little of Tevin Coleman against Maryland.  Would like to see him get more carries and see IU pick up on the rushing yardage.  

Thought Ramsey wasnt going to get up a few times after getting hit in the open field.  he needs to learn to slide and not try to be a running back and pick up the extra 2 yards.  Have a feeling that Penix might be one of those chronically injured guys.  Hope not, just a feeling.

Thomas Allen was a growing factor on defense.  Hoosier Dline looked pretty stout as well.  We have an NFL TE in Hendershot that should be getting 8 to 10 looks per game.

Huskers are a shell of their past.  IU in a great spot to pull the upset, assuming NU is favored.  

Edited by DT

If the IU defense ever gets consistent, then IU could be a "dangerous" team for others to play.  But it seems to be that way the past few years with the defense.  For several years, IU has an offense who is top 5 in the conference, but the defense isn't strong enough to put them totally in the top 5 best teams.  They'll play well for a few downs and then give up the big play.  I half expected Maryland to pull that game out especially when they got the ball with time winding down.  But the defense did make a play at a critical time and sealed the win.  It shouldn't have come to that.  The game should have been decided before then.

32 minutes ago, itiswhatitis said:

If the IU defense ever gets consistent, then IU could be a "dangerous" team for others to play.  But it seems to be that way the past few years with the defense.  For several years, IU has an offense who is top 5 in the conference, but the defense isn't strong enough to put them totally in the top 5 best teams.  They'll play well for a few downs and then give up the big play.  I half expected Maryland to pull that game out especially when they got the ball with time winding down.  But the defense did make a play at a critical time and sealed the win.  It shouldn't have come to that.  The game should have been decided before then.

I was very concerned as well.  

One thing I really like about Ramsey is that he doesn't make a lot of bad mistakes.  He is very steady and doesnt get overly excited when things are going well or too down when things are rough.  The team has great confidence in him.  Penix has not earned that trust and respect yet from the team.  Time will tell if he can

19 minutes ago, DT said:

I was very concerned as well.  

One thing I really like about Ramsey is that he doesn't make a lot of bad mistakes.  He is very steady and doesnt get overly excited when things are going well or too down when things are rough.  The team has great confidence in him.  Penix has not earned that trust and respect yet from the team.  Time will tell if he can

I do know this:  whoever is at QB, they have a ton of good receivers to throw to.  IMO this is one of the best receiving groups that IU has ever had.  From the WR's to the TE's to the backs, they are all very good.  Not so sure about Penix not having any respect or trust from the team.  And yes, Ramsey doesn't make mistakes with the ball.  He sees the field really well, but I think Penix does also.  Penix's play reminds me of a "poor man's" version of Fields (QB from Ohio State) in that he is a dual threat without really being considered a dual threat per se.

5 hours ago, DT said:

Stevie Scott reminded me a little of Tevin Coleman against Maryland.  Would like to see him get more carries and see IU pick up on the rushing yardage.  

2 completely different running backs.  Coleman had elite speed.  Most memorable game was in Columbus when he ran through and away from the OSU defense twice for 2 TD runs of more than 70 yards.

Scott is bigger and stronger, has very good speed but harder to bring down.  I think he also has a future in the NFL.

2 hours ago, itiswhatitis said:

Never mind.  I just saw the Hoosiers are a 1.5 point favorite.

Incredible!  lol

What's the bigger story?

Indiana's climb or Nebraska's fall?

Edited by DT

1 hour ago, DT said:

Incredible!  lol

What's the bigger story?

Indiana's climb or Nebraska's fall?

Man, that's a tough call.  I was hoping Nebraska would get back to National prominence, but they can't seem to find the right coach to turn it around.   The conference needs them to step up.  Same for Michigan.  Ohio State, Wisconsin, and occasionally Michigan State has carried the conference for a few years now.  We need Penn State, Michigan, and Nebraska to all get better.  Penn State has gotten better, but still need to get a couple of those teams to rise up and get in the playoff picture and get those nasty SEC pukes out of there.  LOL  I'd say at least for this year, IU has improved (climbed) while Nebraska has fallen, although they have been falling for a while now.  A couple more wins and IU is going to get votes in the polls!  Now there is a crazy thought.  

2 hours ago, itiswhatitis said:

Man, that's a tough call.  I was hoping Nebraska would get back to National prominence, but they can't seem to find the right coach to turn it around.   The conference needs them to step up.  Same for Michigan.  Ohio State, Wisconsin, and occasionally Michigan State has carried the conference for a few years now.  We need Penn State, Michigan, and Nebraska to all get better.  Penn State has gotten better, but still need to get a couple of those teams to rise up and get in the playoff picture and get those nasty SEC pukes out of there.  LOL  I'd say at least for this year, IU has improved (climbed) while Nebraska has fallen, although they have been falling for a while now.  A couple more wins and IU is going to get votes in the polls!  Now there is a crazy thought.  

Im not sure the BIG will rise up much further.  Penn State looks like the main threat to OSU.  They have the talent and are recruiting at a very high level.  If Harbaugh cant turn Michigan back into a national power, Im not sure who can.  The Dantonio majic is starting to wear off at MSU.  Wisconsin gets lucky playing in the weak west.  Scott Frost is the right guy at Nebraska, but I doubt they will ever regain the glory of the past.  NU used to run rampant through the Big 8, and the Big 12 North.  Cant do that in the Big Ten.  Too many tough programs week after week.  

Northwestern is slipping.  Fitz is a great coach, but his pixie dust is running out.  Iowa is Iowa.  Ferentz SR will likely be followed by Ferentz JR and Iowa will continue to be in the mix.  

To me, the real interesting story in the Big is the rise of IU, MN and PU.  Maybe even Lovie has Illinois turning the corner.

14 hours ago, DT said:

Im not sure the BIG will rise up much further.  Penn State looks like the main threat to OSU.  They have the talent and are recruiting at a very high level.  If Harbaugh cant turn Michigan back into a national power, Im not sure who can.  The Dantonio majic is starting to wear off at MSU.  Wisconsin gets lucky playing in the weak west.  Scott Frost is the right guy at Nebraska, but I doubt they will ever regain the glory of the past.  NU used to run rampant through the Big 8, and the Big 12 North.  Cant do that in the Big Ten.  Too many tough programs week after week.  

Northwestern is slipping.  Fitz is a great coach, but his pixie dust is running out.  Iowa is Iowa.  Ferentz SR will likely be followed by Ferentz JR and Iowa will continue to be in the mix.  

To me, the real interesting story in the Big is the rise of IU, MN and PU.  Maybe even Lovie has Illinois turning the corner.

I mentioned Michigan, Nebraska, and Penn State because those programs are "brands" and have storied histories.  The conference needs them back in the top 10 - 15 in the polls.  I would disagree about Frost being the right guy at Nebraska.  They don't seem to have done much since he's been there.  I think they aren't getting the high caliber recruits like they used to.  Could be wrong.  I agree about Fitz.  Northwestern isn't exactly a hotbed for football and the magic is fading  I think we'll see Dantonio retire in the near future.  He doesn't seem to have the fire he used to have.  Wisconsin ALWAYS has those road graders for linemen.  Doesn't matter much who the running back is.  But not being able to pass, doesn't cut it.  Actually I forgot about Iowa.  I have mentioned them in other posts and said that IU needs to get where Iowa is.  Some years when you think they are going to be down and Boom!  They go to a bowl game.  Sneaky good.  I thought Harbaugh was the guy at Michigan, but apparently he isn't.  Maybe one of these other teams should try to snatch up Ferentz Jr BEFORE dad retires.  LOL  As far as IU is concerned, they appear to be on the rise.  I think Allen is doing a better job at head coach then Wilson ever did.  Is he their guy?  I guess that remains to be seen.  I know one thing:  the man IS passionate about football and his team.  And he is recruiting better than a lot of the other coaches before him did.  I know he has "connections", but sometimes that helps.  Going forward, it will be interesting to see how long IU's rise will last.  I believe this last recruiting class was one of the best that IU has had in a long time.  Getting to a couple of bowl games will only enhance the recruiting (or that's the rumor anyway).

20 minutes ago, itiswhatitis said:

I mentioned Michigan, Nebraska, and Penn State because those programs are "brands" and have storied histories.  The conference needs them back in the top 10 - 15 in the polls.  I would disagree about Frost being the right guy at Nebraska.  They don't seem to have done much since he's been there.  I think they aren't getting the high caliber recruits like they used to.  Could be wrong.  I agree about Fitz.  Northwestern isn't exactly a hotbed for football and the magic is fading  I think we'll see Dantonio retire in the near future.  He doesn't seem to have the fire he used to have.  Wisconsin ALWAYS has those road graders for linemen.  Doesn't matter much who the running back is.  But not being able to pass, doesn't cut it.  Actually I forgot about Iowa.  I have mentioned them in other posts and said that IU needs to get where Iowa is.  Some years when you think they are going to be down and Boom!  They go to a bowl game.  Sneaky good.  I thought Harbaugh was the guy at Michigan, but apparently he isn't.  Maybe one of these other teams should try to snatch up Ferentz Jr BEFORE dad retires.  LOL  As far as IU is concerned, they appear to be on the rise.  I think Allen is doing a better job at head coach then Wilson ever did.  Is he their guy?  I guess that remains to be seen.  I know one thing:  the man IS passionate about football and his team.  And he is recruiting better than a lot of the other coaches before him did.  I know he has "connections", but sometimes that helps.  Going forward, it will be interesting to see how long IU's rise will last.  I believe this last recruiting class was one of the best that IU has had in a long time.  Getting to a couple of bowl games will only enhance the recruiting (or that's the rumor anyway).

Fred Glass would like for Tom Allen to be the next Bill Mallory   He would like to have a 15 year HC.  Allen could do that and is on the right path.  I doubt Brohm will stay at PU.  That will set the program back when he leaves.  PJ Fleck will likely also leave MN for a bigger college job or the NFL.  IU is ahead of maryland, Rutgers and Illinois, and on par with Northwestern.  Still a little behind MSU.  We will see if they are on par with NU this weekend.  

Fitz should have left last year after the BT CHampionship game and taken the Green Bay job.  Big mistake.  He has now lost a lot of his bargaining power

Maybe he is waiting for the Bears job to open up.

Edited by DT

18 minutes ago, DT said:

Fitz should have left last year after the BT CHampionship game and taken the Green Bay job.  Big mistake.  He has now lost a lot of his bargaining power

Maybe he is waiting for the Bears job to open up.

Think he'll make it in the NFL?  Interesting.  Never thought of him as an NFL coach.

24 minutes ago, DT said:

Fred Glass would like for Tom Allen to be the next Bill Mallory   He would like to have a 15 year HC.  Allen could do that and is on the right path.  I doubt Brohm will stay at PU.  That will set the program back when he leaves.  PJ Fleck will likely also leave MN for a bigger college job or the NFL.  IU is ahead of maryland, Rutgers and Illinois, and on par with Northwestern.  Still a little behind MSU.  We will see if they are on par with NU this weekend.  

I agree that Allen is on the right path.  Fleck has Minnesota playing really well this year so he probably could be a player in the coaching market..  I think for this season, I'd say IU is ahead of Northwestern.  Nebraska?  We'll find out this weekend.  As I posted earlier, IU is a slight favorite, but I don't think they would have been had they lost to Maryland.

3 minutes ago, itiswhatitis said:

I agree that Allen is on the right path.  Fleck has Minnesota playing really well this year so he probably could be a player in the coaching market..  I think for this season, I'd say IU is ahead of Northwestern.  Nebraska?  We'll find out this weekend.  As I posted earlier, IU is a slight favorite, but I don't think they would have been had they lost to Maryland.

I don't necessarily look at it from one season to the next.  The Northwestern program is still ahead of the Indiana program.  We are in he process of closing the gap.  

Edited by DT

In the Tom Allen era, tomorrow's game is a big one.  Have the Hoosier's stepped up?  IU has two really good QB's and I heard that Penix is a game time decision.  Either way, the defense has got to step up. If Nebraska is held under 17 points, IU wins and gets to bowl eligibility. 

• Like 1

Solid road win for the Hoosiers...JUST enough defense to hang on. And becoming bowl eligible is a bonus...even at their best in recent years, they were not in a spot to be bowl eligible at this point in the season. On a personal note, I am so happy for Coach Allen; love seeing him lead this team to this point; definitely something to build on.