Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Indiana Hoosier Football Reaches Pivot Point

Guest DT

2 minutes ago, Irishman said:

Solid road win for the Hoosiers...JUST enough defense to hang on. And becoming bowl eligible is a bonus...even at their best in recent years, they were not in a spot to be bowl eligible at this point in the season. On a personal note, I am so happy for Coach Allen; love seeing him lead this team to this point; definitely something to build on. 

Becoming bowl eligible after just 8 games is a big deal for the Hoosiers and will do wonders on the recruiting trail this year for Allen.  Win the bowl game this year and it will do wonders for recruiting the next couple of years.  There is something going on in Bloomington!  Holy crap the defense STILL needs to get more consistent.  That first quarter was really bad.  I felt as though Nebraska was going to run away with the game early on.  Ramsey is a robo quarterback.  Dude is super accurate and doesn't make mistakes even when plays break down.  He's smart enough to throw the ball away and not force anything, when nothing is there and also is good at scrambling.  I get Penix is the starter, but having Ramsey in your back pocket is a huge bonus!  Glad for the Hoosiers he decided to stay and not transfer. Allen had good things to say about him after the game.

• Like 1

That was an historic win for the Hoosiers yesterday.  Although not the same Nebraska we all knew from the 70s, 80s and 90s, still the Nebraska Freaking Cornhuskers.

Never thought I would see the day.  Almost like my beloved Chicago Cubs winning the World Series or the Blackhawks the Stanley Cup.

I read some Fred Glass comments after the game and apparently the level of disrespect shown by Nebraska to the Indiana football program has really ticked off the AD.  It sounds like this was at the coaching level and above based on what I read.  

Nebraska still thinks of themselves as an elite program and I can imagine how they looked down at the IU traveling party coming in to their hallowed football stadium, IU, one of the all time worst D1 programs in NCAA history.

Would love to get more details on this if anybody has any inside info.

Glad we were able to shove it right back up their noses. NU is not a good football team.  Very little talent on either side of the ball.  Scott Frost has a huge job ahead of himself.  In today's age, what elite athlete really wants to go to Lincoln, NE  especially with all the other great options available.   

Go Hoosiers!!!!

Edited by DT

Love where this program is at. All the talk around the state has been about the program to the north and their $6mil/yr a coach who can recruit fast and shiny WR’s.  Brohm has completely neglected his OL and I don’t see things getting better next year.

Yesterday, IU started a true freshman at LT, JR at LG, JR at RG, and a SO at RT. All four will be back next year and IU’s best OL coming into this year broke his ankle in game 3 and is eligible for a redshirt for a 5th year if he so choose. Couple that with the defensive side of the ball that features 5 FR or SO in the two deep of the front four with only one reserve SR, the future looks extremely bright with young and talented skill position players.

1 hour ago, Footballking16 said:

Love where this program is at. All the talk around the state has been about the program to the north and their $6mil/yr a coach who can recruit fast and shiny WR’s.  Brohm has completely neglected his OL and I don’t see things getting better next year.

Yesterday, IU started a true freshman at LT, JR at LG, JR at RG, and a SO at RT. All four will be back next year and IU’s best OL coming into this year broke his ankle in game 3 and is eligible for a redshirt for a 5th year if he so choose. Couple that with the defensive side of the ball that features 5 FR or SO in the two deep of the front four with only one reserve SR, the future looks extremely bright with young and talented skill position players.

I read in the Indy Star that 80 of the 115 players on the roster are either freshman or sophomores, and both classes represent the two highest rated recruiting classes in IU history.

WOW!

How could that be nothing but extremely encouraging for the future.

Edited by DT

6 minutes ago, DT said:

I read in the Indy Star that 80 of the 115 players on the roster are either freshman or sophomores, and both classes represent the two highest rated recruiting classes in IU history.

WOW!

How could that be nothing but extremely encouraging for the future.

Hmmm

I seem to recall having this discussion with you last year about the direction of the IU program in comparison to that of the Kentucky Wildcats.

Glad to have you on board 

2 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

Hmmm

I seem to recall having this discussion with you last year about the direction of the IU program in comparison to that of the Kentucky Wildcats.

Glad to have you on board 

Im a skeptic by nature.  I am an IU alum and thrilled to see what is happening in Bloomington.  But Im not all in on the koolaid yet.  Yesterday was a huge milestone.  Most people dont understand tha magnitude of that win, given the history of the Nebraska program.

We have cleared a big hurdle

Michigan.  Michigan State.  Ohio State.  Penn State.  That is the reality gauntlet that Allen must somehow navigate.  We should have won that MSU game and be 7-1 .  That is a sign of greed, and greed is good in this case.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8y6DJAeolo

3 minutes ago, TrojanDad said:

Supposedly the public address announcer at the stadium yesterday kept referencing the "university of Indiana".......

Whop Philyor had his way with the secondary.....perhaps that was also to do with the pass rush, but 14 catches for 178 yds....

Our offensive skill players (QB. WR. TE. RB) are probably second best in the conference behind Brutus.   Fun group to watch.  

5 minutes ago, Gipper said:

Do they have any signature wins?

By IU’s normal standards, sure.  Maryland and Nebraska on the road are games that this program would’ve lost in the past.  

Does Notre Dame?   One road win and home wins over overrated and unranked USC and Virginia?

Shake down the thunder!!!

2 hours ago, Temptation said:

Best division 1 football program in Indiana?

This is a great thread relating to the resurgence of the IU football program. You really have to take it there? Sorry, not gonna bite.

Congrats to Tom Allen and what he's done with IU's program. I never felt like he was the answer, but I'm glad he's proving me wrong. Can you blame me though? His teams at Ben Davis were less than mediocre by BD standards. He's certainly found the formula at the D1 ranks though. And 80 freshmen and sophomores? Looking forward to how good this team could be over the next couple of years. 

• Like 1

https://iuhoosiers.com/cumestats.aspx?path=football&year=2019

Westbrook is having a disappointing season.  Philyor is a huge surprise to the upside, but Westbrook is supposedly the sure fire NFL prospect.  Why are his numbers so low?

Barely 2 catches per game.

Would like to see Sampson James get some more carries.  Would be fun to see the Hoosiers run a two back set with James and Scott, either in I formation or pro set.

Im torn on Ramsey vs Penix.  Love the consistency and error free play of Ramsey.  Love the big play upside of Penix.  Great problem for Allen to have.  

Edited by DT

So did Philyor have 14 catches against Nebraska?  I haven't seen a box score of the game.  If so, that would be 2 games in a row with 14!  He had 14 against Maryland.  That's totally insane for a 2 game stretch by ANY receiver.  I think IU has a great stable of receivers.  All of them are good route runners, can catch the ball, and get yards after the catch.  The WR's, TEs, and RB's are all great targets for either quarterback.  With all of that youth, IU looks to be in good shape for the next few years.  As has been mentioned, the defense needs help.  If they get that figured out, IU will be a dangerous team.  With a better defense, they will start approaching a top five spot in the conference.  They'll still be below Ohio State, Penn State, Wisconsin, and probably Michigan/Iowa, but the rest of the conference will be looking up at IU.  I was thinking the Michigan game might be 50/50 this year but after what they just did to Notre Dame, I'll just keep quiet about that.  LOL

13 hours ago, itiswhatitis said:

So did Philyor have 14 catches against Nebraska?  I haven't seen a box score of the game.  If so, that would be 2 games in a row with 14!  He had 14 against Maryland.  That's totally insane for a 2 game stretch by ANY receiver.  I think IU has a great stable of receivers.  All of them are good route runners, can catch the ball, and get yards after the catch.  The WR's, TEs, and RB's are all great targets for either quarterback.  With all of that youth, IU looks to be in good shape for the next few years.  As has been mentioned, the defense needs help.  If they get that figured out, IU will be a dangerous team.  With a better defense, they will start approaching a top five spot in the conference.  They'll still be below Ohio State, Penn State, Wisconsin, and probably Michigan/Iowa, but the rest of the conference will be looking up at IU.  I was thinking the Michigan game might be 50/50 this year but after what they just did to Notre Dame, I'll just keep quiet about that.  LOL

Defense is very young. They are set to return 9/11 starters and 18/22 in their 2 deep. Have a very young secondary including a true freshman and true sophomore at corner. They play at a bend but don't break pace this year but I expect that side of the ball to be a reliable asset in the coming years.

1 hour ago, Footballking16 said:

Defense is very young. They are set to return 9/11 starters and 18/22 in their 2 deep. Have a very young secondary including a true freshman and true sophomore at corner. They play at a bend but don't break pace this year but I expect that side of the ball to be a reliable asset in the coming years.

I would hope by next year they are much improved.  As I said before, with a better defense, IU would be a dangerous team even against the top teams in the conference.  Allen has done a pretty good job assembling this team.  Hope he can continue to get some 4 star recruits.  Going bowling should help that.  I anticipate this year's recruiting will be even better than last year's.  Success breeds success.

18 minutes ago, itiswhatitis said:

I would hope by next year they are much improved.  As I said before, with a better defense, IU would be a dangerous team even against the top teams in the conference.  Allen has done a pretty good job assembling this team.  Hope he can continue to get some 4 star recruits.  Going bowling should help that.  I anticipate this year's recruiting will be even better than last year's.  Success breeds success.

I get what you're saying but numbers so far don't suggest that as this 2020 class isn't quite on par with the 19 and 18 classes IU assembled. IU still only has 14 players committed so definitely time for IU to make a late push. However, IU does bring back an insane amount of talent and depth already so they aren't pressed (like Purdue) to sign a 20+ man class. Would really like to see IU sign a couple of GT's or JUCO's to really solidify an already pretty deep team.

Edited by Footballking16

16 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

I get what you're saying but numbers so far don't suggest that as this 2020 class isn't quite on par with the 19 and 18 classes IU assembled. IU still only has 14 players committed so definitely time for IU to make a late push. However, IU does bring back an insane amount of talent and depth already so they aren't pressed (like Purdue) to sign a 20+ man class. Would really like to see IU sign a couple of GT's or JUCO's to really solidify an already pretty deep team.

Allen has a rep for recruiting.  I was thinking that being bowl eligible will be a bit more ammo for him to get some better recruits.  And if they win their bowl game, that should help even more.  I'd love to see IU start snagging more and more 4 star recruits and some day maybe even grab a 5 star or two.  If that starts happening, IU's program will be in VERY good shape.  It may take a few more years, but they have to build off of this year!   3 or 4 years in a row going to bowls would do wonders for the Hoosiers' program going forward.

• Like 2

On 10/27/2019 at 6:35 PM, Bobref said:

Sagarin has ND a 10 pt. favorite vs. IU on a neutral field.

S&P (A far more reliable metric than Sagarin) has Indiana above Notre Dame this week...

Just sayin...