Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Indiana Hoosier Football Reaches Pivot Point

Guest DT

1 hour ago, TrojanDad said:

And they literally walk into an angry Lion's den on national TV.....no chance that will be a trap game for PSU now.....

I sorta disagree.  PSU travels to Columbus the following weekend so I could easily  see them coming out flat/overlooking IU.

Without a signature win, I'd be surprised if anyone gave Allen a serious look. He still has something to prove at IU. I think there is a better than 50% chance they finish the season 0-3. Now, if he can go 2-1? Then I think there could be some serious interest. I like Allen, I'm just not sold yet. 

Born and raised in Indiana, would he even consider leaving IU as long as they are within salary range of other programs?

1 hour ago, BTF said:

Without a signature win, I'd be surprised if anyone gave Allen a serious look. He still has something to prove at IU. I think there is a better than 50% chance they finish the season 0-3. Now, if he can go 2-1? Then I think there could be some serious interest. I like Allen, I'm just not sold yet. 

Born and raised in Indiana, would he even consider leaving IU as long as they are within salary range of other programs?

S&P has IU as a 0.5 home favorite against Michigan and 2 TD favorite on the road against Purdue. Would be shocked if they went 0-3 to end the year.

1 hour ago, BTF said:

I'm thinking it won't matter much how IU finishes the season.  The bowl game will be the one remembered.  It's always about  the last game.  I know how much Glass likes Allen so if another program comes calling, I would think Glass would pony up some cash to match the offer and keep Allen.  I believe if IU goes bowling again next year, Allen may get some suitors, but this year?  Don't think so.  He's in the beginning stages of rebuilding the football program.  I don't see him leaving before it's in full swing or close to it.

6 hours ago, itiswhatitis said:

I'm thinking it won't matter much how IU finishes the season.  The bowl game will be the one remembered.  It's always about  the last game.  I know how much Glass likes Allen so if another program comes calling, I would think Glass would pony up some cash to match the offer and keep Allen.  I believe if IU goes bowling again next year, Allen may get some suitors, but this year?  Don't think so.  He's in the beginning stages of rebuilding the football program.  I don't see him leaving before it's in full swing or close to it.

Indiana's finish to the Big Ten regular season schedule will be much more relevant to potential suitors than an IU appearance in the Pinstripe Bowl, Astro Bluebonnet Bowl or any other Tier 3 bowl matchup.   These bowl  games mean nothing and rosters and coaching staffs are in a state of flux

Allen has a golden opportunity to test his mettle against college football bluebloods Penn State and Michigan in the next two weeks.   These two games are much bigger than any bowl matchup IU might see.   

Edited by DT

9 hours ago, DT said:

Indiana's finish to the Big Ten regular season schedule will be much more relevant to potential suitors than an IU appearance in the Pinstripe Bowl, Astro Bluebonnet Bowl or any other Tier 3 bowl matchup.   These bowl  games mean nothing and rosters and coaching staffs are in a state of flux

Allen has a golden opportunity to test his mettle against college football bluebloods Penn State and Michigan in the next two weeks.   These two games are much bigger than any bowl matchup IU might see.   

It's not going to matter how IU finishes this season, Allen isn't going anywhere.  There aren't going to be AD's lining up to offer him other HC jobs even after the bowl game.  One winning season and one bowl game doesn't exactly influence people to beat down your door in the hope you will leave and coach their program.  Maybe if he does a repeat next season, there may be some rumblings starting, but that's next year.  There isn't  much to discuss this year about him leaving or even others pursuing him.

Frankly, there is a dearth of capable big time coaches currently available in the market

The laws of supply and demand work in Allen's favor

Unfortunately, the new setup in college football has created a reality where the four playoff teams are winners and everyone else is a loser.  Game attendance and tv ratings are down for the non playoff bowl games.   Only the Rose Bowl is still a top level draw.   

The fact that Allen has already been mentioned for openings at FSU and Arkansas is clear indication of the lack of potential candidates.   

21 hours ago, Footballking16 said:

S&P has IU as a 0.5 home favorite against Michigan and 2 TD favorite on the road against Purdue. Would be shocked if they went 0-3 to end the year.

Interesting how we are all still so skeptical about our Hoosiers

13 hours ago, DT said:

Could not agree more.  

IU wins out, they are going somewhere very warm and sunny!!! 

1 hour ago, DT said:

Interesting how we are all still so skeptical about our Hoosiers

I'm not.

Recruiting has seen an uptick the last two years and its starting to pay dividends. We had some heartbreaking endings the last 2 years but we were playing with an extremely young core and they are only getting better with experience.

I fully expect IU to compete Saturday with Penn State and absolutely believe they can beat Michigan at home. Not only do I expect them to beat Purdue Thanksgiving weekend, I expect them to win by 2 TDs. This isn't your fathers Indiana team. They have talent, they have depth, and most importantly they have absolutely bought into the culture that Allen is instilling.

On 11/13/2019 at 12:07 PM, Footballking16 said:

I'm not.

Recruiting has seen an uptick the last two years and its starting to pay dividends. We had some heartbreaking endings the last 2 years but we were playing with an extremely young core and they are only getting better with experience.

I fully expect IU to compete Saturday with Penn State and absolutely believe they can beat Michigan at home. Not only do I expect them to beat Purdue Thanksgiving weekend, I expect them to win by 2 TDs. This isn't your fathers Indiana team. They have talent, they have depth, and most importantly they have absolutely bought into the culture that Allen is instilling.

I am.

They need a good win against a ranked opponent. Right now, I have no reason to believe they will do any better than 1-2 over the next few weeks. They've only played two better than average teams this year and lost both games. They were waxed by 41 to a great OSU team and by 9 to an average Michigan State team. I think we all have reason to be skeptical. Are they playing good right now according to the eye test? Absolutely. But I'm ready to see a win against a ranked opponent.

I like Tom Allen and Indiana, I wish them the best. They will finish 8-4 this year with a very close win against Purdue. They are heading in the right direction. 

It was disappointing to see IU dropped from the top 25 even though they gave themselves a chance to beat PSU.  Perhaps if that "Chuck Pagano fake punt" fiasco wouldn't have happened they might have pulled this one out.  

I think this proves a couple of things......1. IU should be very competitive against Michigan, perhaps even favored.  2. PSU will have nothing for Ohio State.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Staxawax said:

It was disappointing to see IU dropped from the top 25 even though they gave themselves a chance to beat PSU.  Perhaps if that "Chuck Pagano fake punt" fiasco wouldn't have happened they might have pulled this one out.  

I think this proves a couple of things......1. IU should be very competitive against Michigan, perhaps even favored.  2. PSU will have nothing for Ohio State.

It was a frustrating game on a number of levels. First, it was another in such a long line of close games that they have not won in sooooo many years now. Second, number of mistakes made on the field that allowed Penn State drives to continue, or ended good IU drives were far too many, as you point out, the fake punt being one of the most glaring ones. Third, it was a HUGE uphill climb. It was frustrating from the start. The muffed punt call was a horrible call. It was clear the ball never altered how it was turning. That leads to a PS scoring drive. The targeting that somehow was not targeting leads to a turnover and a score. Bottom line is IU had to play perfect to not only upset Penn State, but to upset B1G leadership because it would have put an enormous damper on the Penn State Ohio State match up this weekend. To me, that will again be an obstacle against Michigan. The historic Thanksgiving Saturday matchup of OSU and UM has some intrigue now. But if UM loses to IU, it takes a lot of that shine off next week. 

9 minutes ago, Irishman said:

It was a frustrating game on a number of levels. First, it was another in such a long line of close games that they have not won in sooooo many years now. Second, number of mistakes made on the field that allowed Penn State drives to continue, or ended good IU drives were far too many, as you point out, the fake punt being one of the most glaring ones. Third, it was a HUGE uphill climb. It was frustrating from the start. The muffed punt call was a horrible call. It was clear the ball never altered how it was turning. That leads to a PS scoring drive. The targeting that somehow was not targeting leads to a turnover and a score. Bottom line is IU had to play perfect to not only upset Penn State, but to upset B1G leadership because it would have put an enormous damper on the Penn State Ohio State match up this weekend. To me, that will again be an obstacle against Michigan. The historic Thanksgiving Saturday matchup of OSU and UM has some intrigue now. But if UM loses to IU, it takes a lot of that shine off next week. 

Not getting the muffed punt call right is a direct result in the lack of camera angles. This was not a network marquee game, so not as many cameras were in play. I see this on Sundays some times also. I too was puzzled they at least didn’t stop and review for targeting. But, I never thought while watching that PSU was getting any type of advantage. I agree that IU squandered opportunities, but in the past I would have expected a 35-14 type of game. This is a very good football team.

Close, but no cigar.  Thought they would catch Penn State napping.  The Hoosiers still need that "signature" win.  They have another shot at it this week.  While I don't expect them to beat Michigan, I do think they'll not get embarrassed like in years past.  If they do beat Michigan, it will be one of the biggest wins in a long time for the IU program.  It will be interesting to keep an eye on the officiating this week.  IU seems to get no respect.  Ohio State is going to throttle Penn State.  They'll win by at least 3 scores.

Edited by itiswhatitis

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/college/indiana/2019/11/19/iu-football-gets-major-interest-music-city-bowl/4243001002/

The Music City Bowl will have a representative in Bloomington this weekend for IU’s senior-day matchup with Michigan, as the Nashville-based game reviews the Hoosiers for possible postseason selection.

Scott Ramsey, president and CEO of the Music City Bowl, told IndyStar on Tuesday he plans to attend.

“They are in our mix,” Ramsey told IndyStar.

The Music City and Gator bowls enjoy a joint tie-in between the Big Ten and the Atlantic Coast Conference. Each bowl picks a team from one of those conferences to face an SEC opponent each year. 

While the injuries are mounting, this was an underwhelming performance to say the least, and so disappointing to see it fall apart as the game progressed. Seeing the record in this series flash on the screen was pretty depressing. While the competitive level was there for most of the game against Penn State, that gave us the feeling the program was still on the right track; it was not there today. The lack of depth in key spots was exposed. Even though they are bowl eligible, I think the Purdue game is a MUST win now. 

Don't like our chances against Purdue

Looks like Harbaugh has the wolves playing Michigan style football again

I feared we would follow up the the four game winning streak with a matching 4 game losing streak to close out the season.   

Thud.  So THAT’s what happens when you play a real football team, lol?

All kidding aside, 7 wins (with a shot at 8/9) is a great step forward for IU football but they padded their record by feasting on some BAD teams.

Past IU teams fold at Maryland/Nebraska and get blown out at PSU though, so kudos to Allen.

IU simply beat the teams they were supposed to beat, unlike teams of the past.  They are supposed to beat Purdue.

Michigan's physicality almost knocked the rest of the season out of the Hoosiers.  The O'line was simply too slow and too small for the fast Michigan defense.  Ramsey seldom had more than 2 seconds to unload.  Seems Harbaugh took this game seriously and had his boys pumped and ready. But they will still get blown out by T OSU.

dangerous game for IU forthcoming

PU has nothing to lose, will continue to play loose with a boatload of 18-19 year old players.     

PU starting walk on at Center and QB last few games, all freshman WR core, a reshuffled OL, and a Defensive Front 7 that are so undersized and small.   Not to mention the 2 freshman on the back end of the defense.