Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Indiana Hoosier Football Reaches Pivot Point

Guest DT

34 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

dangerous game for IU forthcoming

PU has nothing to lose, will continue to play loose with a boatload of 18-19 year old players.     

PU starting walk on at Center and QB last few games, all freshman WR core, a reshuffled OL, and a Defensive Front 7 that are so undersized and small.   Not to mention the 2 freshman on the back end of the defense.   

Sounds like they are several years away

4 minutes ago, DT said:

If not for Fleck, Allen would be a shoe in for B10 COTY.

But there is just something about his pregame speeches that makes me blush.

Its almost like he KNOWS the camera is on him, lol.

Edited by Guest

5 minutes ago, Temptation said:

If not for Fleck, Allen would be a shoe in for B10 COTY.

But there is just something about his pregame speeches that makes me blush.

Its almost like he KNOWS the camera is on him, lol.

It's very high schoolish

22 hours ago, DT said:

I was watching BTN last night and caught some hilites of the Wisconsin - Purdue game

As I watched the Badgers line up to run a play to run out the clock, UW still had their first team offensive line in the game

The size difference between Wisconsin's offensive line and Purdues D line and backers was frightening.  It looked like a 6A offensive line vs a 2A defensive line

I wonder if Brohm  will ever get enough big bodies in the trenches to compete against the conference titans.  

We keep hearing about kids in the pipeline and recruiting.   It's the end of year 3 and this PU team looks completely physically overmatched

Edited by DT

As you know, because you have wrote about it before, Wisconsin is a Nationwide OL factory, who sends dudes to the NFL year in and year out.   Like Iowa and TE's.   So it is not surprising that Wisconsin OL dominated.  

However, it has been well documented that Purdue's issues defensively has been youth and size.   Playing without 2 Seniors has hurt PU all year, these were All B10 performers in  NEAL and Bailey on DL and LB.   Honestly, the season Karlaftis is having is just that much more impressive because he is NOT big compared to B10 OL he has faced all year and he is producing.   

Purdue knows they need to find bigger bodies, they are trying, they have more offers out to JUCU LB and will be looking at OL in Grad Transfer market as well.    

https://www.si.com/college/purdue/football/purdue-football-patience-key-with-young-team/

On the other side of the ball, Purdue has also seen some of its best play from a group of freshmen, defensive end George Karlaftis, cornerback Cory Trice, safety Cam Allen, and nickel Jalen Graham. Karlaftis has been the leader of the defense, with six sacks on the season, Trice had a breakout game against Maryland with two interceptions and a touchdown, and Allen and Graham have stepped up nicely for a secondary needing help.

“It’s a young team,” Brohm said. “Our goal is always to win now but you also have to make sure that you’re realistic with your players, and you understand that you’ve got to step on the field and compete and try to get better.”

RS Freshman from FW Snider has been getting lots of reps this season as well at NG/DT  

Hoosier nation can breathe.......

Very Very surprised Coach Brohm elected to go to 2nd OT instead of the win.  Defense has struggled all year get stops consistently, especially on 3rd and 8 and longer, PU has to lead the nation in not getting off the field in those situations.  IU made the plays they needed and won the game. 

I predict PU Offense average 500 yard + next year.   

On 11/30/2019 at 6:36 PM, Coach Nowlin said:

Very Very surprised Coach Brohm elected to go to 2nd OT instead of the win.  Defense has struggled all year get stops consistently, especially on 3rd and 8 and longer, PU has to lead the nation in not getting off the field in those situations.  IU made the plays they needed and won the game. 

I REALLY thought he would pull the trigger and go for 2. Why not? Nothing to lose, and since he has focused soooooo much on the rivalry with his program, put them away, and spoil the end of their season....and against that porous defense. 

• Like 1

On 11/30/2019 at 6:36 PM, Coach Nowlin said:

Starting to question Brohm and his authenticity. How in the hell does he not go for 2 there?

I realize Purdue was banged up most the year, but really amazed at the lack of progression (especially on the defensive side of the ball) all year. Schematically they were terrible against IU and if IU had their full arsenal on offense, it may have (and still should have been) a 3 TD beat down.

I'm still waiting for Brohm to develop on offensive line. You could have 4 and 5 star skilled position players all over the field (which Purdue will have next year) but if you don't have an OL, it won't matter. Really surprised Brohm didn't go to the JUCO or GT ranks to shore up an offensive line.

I had a bunch of Purdue fans telling me as I was leaving Ross-Ade to enjoy the bucket while I could, and just couldn't help myself in thinking why Purdue is going to be significantly better next year. If you're putting a bunch of stock into a bunch of redshirt freshman who haven't or guys who missed most of the year and didn't get a chance to develop, how it puts them in a much better spot next year? IU returns 80% of it's 2 deep next year and many of those guys were freshman and sophomores. Looking at Purdue's schedule next year, I'm not sure I see 6 guaranteed wins. How long do Purdue fans justify paying a guy $6/mil to keep him away from Louisville that isn't reaching a bowl game?

I think recruiting is eventually going to find it's level in West Lafayette. Brohm has had the luxury of promising immediate playing time this last year along with next due to the lack of upperclassmen, but that is eventually going to wear out. He needs an offensive and defensive line quick, or things will go south quickly. Kevin Wilson was able to put up 500 yards of offense a game, but never had a defense and was outscored every game.

Im thinking 

10 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

Starting to question Brohm and his authenticity. How in the hell does he not go for 2 there?

I realize Purdue was banged up most the year, but really amazed at the lack of progression (especially on the defensive side of the ball) all year. Schematically they were terrible against IU and if IU had their full arsenal on offense, it may have (and still should have been) a 3 TD beat down.

I'm still waiting for Brohm to develop on offensive line. You could have 4 and 5 star skilled position players all over the field (which Purdue will have next year) but if you don't have an OL, it won't matter. Really surprised Brohm didn't go to the JUCO or GT ranks to shore up an offensive line.

I had a bunch of Purdue fans telling me as I was leaving Ross-Ade to enjoy the bucket while I could, and just couldn't help myself in thinking why Purdue is going to be significantly better next year. If you're putting a bunch of stock into a bunch of redshirt freshman who haven't or guys who missed most of the year and didn't get a chance to develop, how it puts them in a much better spot next year? IU returns 80% of it's 2 deep next year and many of those guys were freshman and sophomores. Looking at Purdue's schedule next year, I'm not sure I see 6 guaranteed wins. How long do Purdue fans justify paying a guy $6/mil to keep him away from Louisville that isn't reaching a bowl game?

I think recruiting is eventually going to find it's level in West Lafayette. Brohm has had the luxury of promising immediate playing time this last year along with next due to the lack of upperclassmen, but that is eventually going to wear out. He needs an offensive and defensive line quick, or things will go south quickly. Kevin Wilson was able to put up 500 yards of offense a game, but never had a defense and was outscored every game.

Im thinking Louisville is very happy with their choice of Scott Satterfield as HC.  The Cards rebounded nicely this year to finish second in their division in the ACC at 7-5 and will go to a decent bowl game.

While not a fan, I dont like the way Brohm is building this team.  Perhaps his vision is more short term than long term.  

1 hour ago, Footballking16 said:

No doubt about it, go for 2 was the call, no hindsight about it.   

I know I have stated a few times on here that they DID indeed offer guys who ended up not choosing to come to Purdue to help on OL 

I had seats directly behind PU bench this past weekend, right behind OL area, on the 4th down play that OL missed their assignment, OL Coach Williams came unglued and benched the OL who messed up and inserted True Freshman, Craig, who went on and had a tremendous rest the game at LG.   I believe a lot of those young OL were used sparingly to keep their 4 game minimum in place so they can tag them with a Red Shirt.  Craig being one of them.  It is easier to sell skill kids to come to Purdue then OL, but they are working very hard at it, they also have 4 or 5 more offers out currently right now to JUCO and Grad Portals,  Powell from Stanford in Grad Portal and this kid from INDY JUCO:  who PU is in his final 3.   I will say, I thought the offensive line played much better when they inserted another walk on, GARVER in at Center.   

Front 7 is Light, no doubt.  even Karlaftis is undersized, right now, for his position, but he is working his tail off to still be impactful and he was.   Losing Neal for the year really really hurt them inside, and of course Bailey, because the DEPTH is not there....YET, but they have some pieces to put in there to build around, they are just young. 

In 2020:  Purdue's Defense just has to be Above average and they will win alot of games, Purdue is going to score points next year, just need to get enough stops throughout the game, I will be disappointed if they do not eclipse the 8+ win mark in 2020.  

SCHEME WISE:    it was disappointing to see so many 3rd and longs ALL YEAR long get converted, bugaboo again this year for Holt's defense.   I could see Brohm giving him 1 more year to fix it, if its much more the same in 2020, i cannot fathom he gets retained.  Too many miscommunications on the back end throughout the year, I am sure youth related, but your job as a coach is to make sure at the minimum they are in the right spot, whether they can make the play is the other issue.   I know Brohm has made a few comments throughout the year on how he wants to see the defense aggressive at all times, it just seemed to me, there was too many times 3rd and 8 + that Holt went to zone with 4 man rush, Karlaftis would turn the corner, QB Step up, no other pressures from the other 3 and all LB in zone, QB would run for 1st or WR sit in soft spot for easy compeltion.   Case in point,  3rd and 13 in 1st OT vs Hoosiers:   CB looked to be in a cover 3 and he bailed all the way 7 YARDS INTO THE ENDZONE, IU WR literally just ran to the front pylon, turned around, waited for the ball.   4 man rush, no pressure, CB is covering back 3rd of the EZ on 3rd and 13!!!!   UGH

48 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

No doubt about it, go for 2 was the call, no hindsight about it.   

I know I have stated a few times on here that they DID indeed offer guys who ended up not choosing to come to Purdue to help on OL 

I had seats directly behind PU bench this past weekend, right behind OL area, on the 4th down play that OL missed their assignment, OL Coach Williams came unglued and benched the OL who messed up and inserted True Freshman, Craig, who went on and had a tremendous rest the game at LG.   I believe a lot of those young OL were used sparingly to keep their 4 game minimum in place so they can tag them with a Red Shirt.  Craig being one of them.  It is easier to sell skill kids to come to Purdue then OL, but they are working very hard at it, they also have 4 or 5 more offers out currently right now to JUCO and Grad Portals,  Powell from Stanford in Grad Portal and this kid from INDY JUCO:  who PU is in his final 3.   I will say, I thought the offensive line played much better when they inserted another walk on, GARVER in at Center.   

Front 7 is Light, no doubt.  even Karlaftis is undersized, right now, for his position, but he is working his tail off to still be impactful and he was.   Losing Neal for the year really really hurt them inside, and of course Bailey, because the DEPTH is not there....YET, but they have some pieces to put in there to build around, they are just young. 

In 2020:  Purdue's Defense just has to be Above average and they will win alot of games, Purdue is going to score points next year, just need to get enough stops throughout the game, I will be disappointed if they do not eclipse the 8+ win mark in 2020.  

SCHEME WISE:    it was disappointing to see so many 3rd and longs ALL YEAR long get converted, bugaboo again this year for Holt's defense.   I could see Brohm giving him 1 more year to fix it, if its much more the same in 2020, i cannot fathom he gets retained.  Too many miscommunications on the back end throughout the year, I am sure youth related, but your job as a coach is to make sure at the minimum they are in the right spot, whether they can make the play is the other issue.   I know Brohm has made a few comments throughout the year on how he wants to see the defense aggressive at all times, it just seemed to me, there was too many times 3rd and 8 + that Holt went to zone with 4 man rush, Karlaftis would turn the corner, QB Step up, no other pressures from the other 3 and all LB in zone, QB would run for 1st or WR sit in soft spot for easy compeltion.   Case in point,  3rd and 13 in 1st OT vs Hoosiers:   CB looked to be in a cover 3 and he bailed all the way 7 YARDS INTO THE ENDZONE, IU WR literally just ran to the front pylon, turned around, waited for the ball.   4 man rush, no pressure, CB is covering back 3rd of the EZ on 3rd and 13!!!!   UGH

Has there been any discussion about moving GK to LB?

on Purdue Message boards there is chatter, I don't see how that is good move.  

https://purduesports.com/sports/football/roster/george-karlaftis/8323

Purdue site listed him 6'4 265 and he still has TON of room to grow it seems, so I do not see how that translate as a MIKE LB:   

They have some JUCO offers out at LB position as well and incoming Frosh, Ben Krual and another BLUE SHIRT LB that will be available next year.   

Greg Schiano hired at Rutgers.

This is a direct threat to IU football.

Schiano's first targets will be Indiana and Maryland as he works to get out of the BT East  basement.

Edited by DT

14 hours ago, DT said:

Greg Schiano hired at Rutgers.

This is a direct threat to IU football.

Schiano's first targets will be Indiana and Maryland as he works to get out of the BT East  basement.

Rutgers is a threat to NO ONE except folks who tune in expecting to see competitive football.

Edited by Guest

On 12/3/2019 at 8:16 AM, Temptation said:

Rutgers is a threat to NO ONE except folks who tune in expecting to see competitive football.

I couldn't disagree more.

Schiano didn't take that job just to fail.  

He is extremely well known and beloved in the northeast.  Rutgers recruiting will see an immediate uptick and in 3 years they will start to win.  The easy low hanging fruit is Maryland and Indiana

Coach Allen will surely be digging in his heels to defend his new found status in The BT

9 minutes ago, DT said:

I couldn't disagree more.

Schiano didn't take that job just to fail.  

He is extremely well known and beloved in the northeast.  Rutgers recruiting will see an immediate uptick and in 3 years they will start to win.  The easy low hanging fruit is Maryland and Indiana

Coach Allen will surely be digging in his heels to defend his new found status in The BT

The Big Ten East has pretty much been OSU, MSU, UM & PSU in the top four, and IU/MD/RU fighting each other for fifth-sixth-seventh most years. The path to a bowl for those three teams is always going to be beat the other two, sweep the non-conference, and pick off one of the crossover games. 

IU this year went 3-0 in the non-conference, 2-0 against MD/RU and 3-0 in the crossover games (Nebraska, Northwestern, Purdue). 

Schiano may be well-known in the northeast, but Rutgers is an athletic department that has been in disarray for years. The benefit is, there's not a lot of P5 competition in the northeast for recruits (Syracuse, Penn State & Boston College are basically the only P5 teams in the northeast). But it's going to be a very slow build and Rutgers is budget-wise and facility-wise in the bottom tier of P5 schools. 

Right now, IU is the top of those three programs, but things are cyclical. What I like about IU is that most of the talent is frosh/sophs and Tom Allen is getting a lot of talent out of Florida and Georgia in addition to the recruiting base in the Midwest (especially IN/MI/OH). IU's recruiting under Tom Allen is as strong as it has ever been. 

2 minutes ago, crimsonace1 said:

The Big Ten East has pretty much been OSU, MSU, UM & PSU in the top four, and IU/MD/RU fighting each other for fifth-sixth-seventh most years. The path to a bowl for those three teams is always going to be beat the other two, sweep the non-conference, and pick off one of the crossover games. 

Schiano may be well-known in the northeast, but Rutgers is an athletic department that has been in disarray for years. The benefit is, there's not a lot of P5 competition in the northeast for recruits (Syracuse, Penn State & Boston College are basically the only P5 teams in the northeast). But it's going to be a very slow build and Rutgers is budget-wise and facility-wise in the bottom tier of P5 schools. 

Right now, IU is the top of those three programs, but things are cyclical. What I like about IU is that most of the talent is frosh/sophs and Tom Allen is getting a lot of talent out of Florida and Georgia in addition to the recruiting base in the Midwest (especially IN/MI/OH). IU's recruiting under Tom Allen is as strong as it has ever been. 

Agree on all points.  

But to not expect improvement out of Rutgers would be foolish.

They will start getting their full share of BT money soon.  Schiano is getting $4M per year for 8 years.  Allen gets $1.5M.  Rutgers has cash apparently.  

https://iuhoosiers.com/sports/football/schedule/2020

Interesting schedule for the Hoosiers next year.

They open up at Wisconsin.  Hate to get beat up in the opener but it is what it is.

They then have a shot to rip off 6 straight wins, including Mich State.  Sparty on the decline.  

I'm not sold on Penn State.  They are beatable, especially at home

Best case scenario next year looks like 9-3 regular season, 6-3 BT.  Chance for a 10 win season with a bowl win.  

Edited by DT

1 hour ago, DT said:

Agree on all points.  

But to not expect improvement out of Rutgers would be foolish.

They will start getting their full share of BT money soon.  Schiano is getting $4M per year for 8 years.  Allen gets $1.5M.  Rutgers has cash apparently.  

When you go 0'fer in the conference there is no direction OTHER than improvement.  You mentioned yourself that the gap between the heavy hitters and the bottom feeders is growing and Rutgers is a 4-5 win team (assuming they are smart and have a pathetic non-conference schedule) in a GOOD year MAX.

Only a few more days (Sunday) and the bowls will be announced.  I saw a projection that had IU playing in the Gator Bowl against Tennessee.  The game is January 2nd.  The Gator Bowl is in Jacksonville, Florida.  They have a very nice greyhound track there, not to mention several nice golf courses.  Wagering on the greyhounds and playing golf.  I'd be broke in no time and probably have to hitch hike home.  LOL

• Like 1

10 hours ago, TrojanDad said:

My guess is that Allen is going to get a nice raise after the season.  I believe he's currently at the bottom of the Big 10 with a $1.5M annual salary.  That just blows be away that this is the lowest salary in the conference.....

What a decision he will have next year deciding Penix vs. Ramsey.  It was tough enough for him last year....now after the season Ramsey has had after Penix went down.  They each bring something excellent to the table.

As I was reading your post TJD, the words Transfer Portal popped into my head.

Got a hunch we might lose Penix.

Frankly, with an opportunity to have one of the best seasons next year in school history, Id be inclined to firm up now with the seasoned senior QB 

Penix appears to be very injury prone.  Id let him walk.

Edited by DT

12 hours ago, DT said:

As I was reading your post TJD, the words Transfer Portal popped into my head.

Got a hunch we might lose Penix.

Frankly, with an opportunity to have one of the best seasons next year in school history, Id be inclined to firm up now with the seasoned senior QB 

Penix appears to be very injury prone.  Id let him walk.

Penix is the most talented QB IU has had since Sudfeld, for sure, and possibly since ARE. 

Ramsey is a good game manager. Penix is a unique talent ... and has three years of eligibility remaining after this year (and he's already burned his redshirt year). CTA was very adamant that Penix was the starter and he only "lost" the job because of injury. Ramsey does well, but Penix is the better QB and should be the starter if he is healthy. 

Meanwhile, Tuttle has already transferred once (from Utah to Indiana).