Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Indiana Hoosier Football Reaches Pivot Point

Guest DT

4 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

A B10 championship for Purdue is a pipe dream right now and talks of play hopes is living in fantasy land. 

Wisconsin is and will for the time being be the class of the West. Minnesota may be pushing the needle but Purdue is way below the curve.

I think Illinois might actually be slightly ahead of Purdue.  Lovie had a nice season and the Wisky win was huge.  Same as PU win over OSU last year

And the Illini smacked the Boilers in WL.  Illini recruiting is on the strong uptick.  That could make life difficult for Brohm

Edited by DT

2 minutes ago, DT said:

I think Illinois might actually be slightly ahead of Purdue.  Lovie had a nice season and the Wisky win was huge.  Same as PU win over OSU last year

I’m not sure I agree with that. The worse thing to happen to Illinois was Michigan State’s colossal choke job that allowed Illinois to get to bowl eligibility and will likely net Lovie an extension. This is an Illinois team that lost at home to Northwestern and Eastern Michigan and barely beat UConn. Illinois had a bevy of grad transfers who won’t be with the program next year.

2 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

I’m not sure I agree with that. The worse thing to happen to Illinois was Michigan State’s colossal choke job that allowed Illinois to get to bowl eligibility and will likely net Lovie an extension. This is an Illinois team that lost at home to Northwestern and Eastern Michigan and barely beat UConn. Illinois had a bevy of grad transfers who won’t be with the program next year.

Illinois is a lot like Indiana was before the Allen hiring.  Who really wanted that job?  I was shocked when Lovie wound up there.  The worst is now behind him.  He is filling out his roster and the program has momentum.  

That idea that PU under Brohm at the end of Year 3 has no momentum must be very disturbing to Boiler fans.  

Outside of Nowlen, do any PU fans see light at the end of the tunnel?

11 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

A B10 championship for Purdue is a pipe dream right now and talks of play hopes is living in fantasy land. 

Wisconsin is and will for the time being be the class of the West. Minnesota may be pushing the needle but Purdue is way below the curve.

So those in Purdue program should stop doing anything to bridge that gap and leapfrog Wisconsin or anyone else their way and just accept that Wisconsin should win every year??    

I say along with the current Regime at Purdue from Prez on down, why not Purdue?   

1 minute ago, DT said:

Until its on the dotted line, by Verbals only, here is Lovie right now:

https://247sports.com/Season/2020-Football/CompositeTeamRankings/?Conference=Big-Ten

Yup, right behind IU and in front of Rutgers......

1 minute ago, Coach Nowlin said:

So those in Purdue program should stop doing anything to bridge that gap and leapfrog Wisconsin or anyone else their way and just accept that Wisconsin should win every year??    

I say along with the current Regime at Purdue from Prez on down, why not Purdue?   

Until its on the dotted line, by Verbals only, here is Lovie right now:

https://247sports.com/Season/2020-Football/CompositeTeamRankings/?Conference=Big-Ten

Yup, right behind IU and in front of Rutgers......

The bottom dwellers are the bottom dwellers.  And its going to get tougher now with Greg Schiano in the mix.  Rutgers recruiting will get an immediate bump, as did Purdues.

I dont expect Mike Locksley to last at maryland.  Actually, I expect to see him fired next year, either in season or just after.  

10 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

I never said that, but again, looking at the bigger picture, Purdue is nowhere near leapfrogging Wisconsin. The only way "B10 title" and "playoff hopes" and Purdue belong in the same sentence is the fact that Purdue is paying their coach top 10 money.

As I said above, looking at Purdue's schedule next year, I don't think 6+ wins is a foregone conclusion. It would mean Brohm did better with the dumpster fire he inherited in years 1 and 2 over the teams he recruited for years 3 and 4. 

2 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

I never said that, but again, looking at the bigger picture, Purdue is nowhere near leapfrogging Wisconsin. The only way "B10 title" and "playoff hopes" and Purdue belong in the same sentence is the fact that Purdue is paying their coach top 10 money.

As I said above, looking at Purdue's schedule next year, I don't think 6+ wins is a foregone conclusion. It would mean Brohm did better with the dumpster fire he inherited in years 1 and 2 over the teams he recruited for years 3 and 4. 

PU much closer to the bottom in the West than the top.

They may have made a colossal mistake with the extension.

Edited by DT

6 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

4 minutes ago, DT said:

PU much closer to the bottom in the West than the top.

They may have made a colossal mistake with the extension.

And if the Boilers get to 8 + wins next year???   

I am sure it will be crickets.......

Time will tell 

2 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

sure, then it negates everything. But I think Purdue is much closer to a 5-6 win team next year than an 8 win team looking at the schedule

@ Nebraska---Frost loses this game he may lose the fan base

Memphis---game just got a little easier with Norvell leaving but Memphis returns a ton and should be nationally ranked to start the year

Air Force---Another team ranked in the top 25 to end the year; never easy to prep for the triple option

@ Boston College----all world RB is gone and they have new coach, game Purdue should win even if on road

Rutger--Win

@ Illinos----Should win

@ Michigan-----loss

Northwestern--should win

@ Minnesota---should lose

Wisconsin---going with Badgers until Purdue beats them, what's it been since 04?

Iowa---Purdue has fared well against Iowa under Brohm; still a tough game

@ Indiana---Rivalry game and probably a toss up; would say any Purdue fan that thinks this is a gimme win will be in for a rude awakening.

12 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

I am sure it will be crickets.......

Time will tell 

Based on their relative youth, inexperience and lack of offseason momentum, they look closer to a 4 win team than an 8 win team.

If they get to 8, I will take you out for a Chuck Wagon.  

2 minutes ago, DT said:

Based on their relative youth, inexperience and lack of offseason momentum, they look closer to a 4 win team than an 8 win team.

If they get to 8, I will take you out for a Chuck Wagon.  

Please GID GODS, don't let us crash again!!  Daddy wants some Chuck Wagon!!    :classic_laugh:

9 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

sure, then it negates everything. But I think Purdue is much closer to a 5-6 win team next year than an 8 win team looking at the schedule

Memphis---game just got a little easier with Norvell leaving but Memphis returns a ton and should be nationally ranked to start the year

Air Force---Another team ranked in the top 25 to end the year; never easy to prep for the triple option

@ Boston College----all world RB is gone and they have new coach, game Purdue should win even if on road

Rutger--Win

@ Illinos----Should win

@ Michigan-----loss

Northwestern--should win

Wisconsin---going with Badgers until Purdue beats them, what's it been since 04?

@ Indiana---Rivalry game and probably a toss up; would say any Purdue fan that thinks this is a gimme win will be in for a rude awakening.

Good Times!!     

Nebraska:   Toss Up:   Purdue won last time they visited Lincoln 

Memphis:   Take the Boilers at Home

Air Force:   Take the Boilers at Home

Boston College:  Take the Boilers on the Road

Rutger:  Scarlet Knights beat them last time they played, though I take Boilers at Home

Illinois:   Snag that Cannon back 

Michigan:  Tough one:  Maybe out score them??   Doubtful 

NW:   DUBS baby

Minnesota:   Why should lose?   Major Blizzard game, I will concede to Gophers in the Blizzard 

Wisconsin:   Boilers finally get them at Home 

Iowa:   Purdue owns Iowa!!!   

IU:   WIN BABY!!! 

I got me 9 wins baby!!!   Maybe 11 if they get Nebraska and Minny!!   LETS GO !!!  

:classic_laugh:

In all honestly, it really does change projections week to week.   Health in sports always a concern in any sport, any level.   

18 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

Please GID GODS, don't let us crash again!!  Daddy wants some Chuck Wagon!!    :classic_laugh:

Good Times!!     

Nebraska:   Toss Up:   Purdue won last time they visited Lincoln 

Memphis:   Take the Boilers at Home

Air Force:   Take the Boilers at Home

Boston College:  Take the Boilers on the Road

Rutger:  Scarlet Knights beat them last time they played, though I take Boilers at Home

Illinois:   Snag that Cannon back 

Michigan:  Tough one:  Maybe out score them??   Doubtful 

NW:   DUBS baby

Minnesota:   Why should lose?   Major Blizzard game, I will concede to Gophers in the Blizzard 

Wisconsin:   Boilers finally get them at Home 

Iowa:   Purdue owns Iowa!!!   

IU:   WIN BABY!!! 

I got me 9 wins baby!!!   Maybe 11 if they get Nebraska and Minny!!   LETS GO !!!  

:classic_laugh:

In all honestly, it really does change projections week to week.   Health in sports always a concern in any sport, any level.   

would be a helluva coach em up job if Brohm gets the Boilers to 9 wins next year given that schedule and inexperience.

I think Purdue starts the year 0-2 (Purdue susceptible to slow starts under Brohm) and then wins their next 4. They then lose 3 of their next 4 and are 5-5 heading into the Iowa game. 

Edited by Footballking16

I really think it will be hard to defend Purdue next year:   The question will be can they get enough stops. 

You saw a walk on come in and light up teams ( I thought he looked better than Plummer from simple aspect that he got the ball out on time with some zip but does have mobility  concerns) without their All American Slot WR.  

You add Rondale on the same formation with David Bell, capable TE (Durham, 2 RS Frosh they will have) and Combo of Milton Wright, Amad Anderson, TJ Shelfield, ole reliable Jackson Anthrop, newest 4 star WR incoming in Malik Carr and a capable run game with King Duruane, Horvath, incoming RB Murphy.     That is really tough for defenses to figure out how to stop.   

Maybe they do turn into a B12 type team as DT said, win them 56-48 baby!!!    

35 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

I really think it will be hard to defend Purdue next year:   The question will be can they get enough stops. 

You saw a walk on come in and light up teams ( I thought he looked better than Plummer from simple aspect that he got the ball out on time with some zip but does have mobility  concerns) without their All American Slot WR.  

You add Rondale on the same formation with David Bell, capable TE (Durham, 2 RS Frosh they will have) and Combo of Milton Wright, Amad Anderson, TJ Shelfield, ole reliable Jackson Anthrop, newest 4 star WR incoming in Malik Carr and a capable run game with King Duruane, Horvath, incoming RB Murphy.     That is really tough for defenses to figure out how to stop.   

Maybe they do turn into a B12 type team as DT said, win them 56-48 baby!!!    

He lit up a young Indiana secondary who had built a lead and 3-9 Northwestern. Did alright against Wisconsin but like Indiana had built a big lead and was content giving up the underneath routes.

Need to establish a running game and a line that gives the QB time to go through all his progressions for them to be consistent, but yes getting stops will be the death of Purdue next year in my opinion.

I watched for 3-4 years as Kevin Wilson trotted out an NFL caliber QB with NFL caliber skill position players (and a good line as well) lose shoot out after shoot out because they didn't have a defense. Might be Purdue's best bet next year, but the B10 has much better defenses than the Big 12.

Edited by Footballking16
  • Like 1

Just now, Footballking16 said:

Need to establish a running game and a line that gives the QB time to go through all his progressions for them to be consistent, but yes getting stops will be the death of Purdue next year in my opinion.

I watched for 3-4 years as Kevin Wilson trotted out an NFL caliber QB with NFL caliber skill position players (and a good line as well) lose shoot out after shoot out because they didn't have a defense. Might be Purdue's best bet next year, but the B10 has much better defenses than the Big 12.

No doubt there pal!!! 

I thought in all honestly, when they moved the walk on Center Garvin in at Center, the OL started to come together and you saw RUN game improve:   I thought Nebraska,  NW and IU were good running games towards the end of the year.  I think the goal for PU run game should be anything over 4 yards a carry and that will continue to loosen up the defense 

57 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

Just saw IU got Dylan Powell,  OL who originally committed to Hazel's Boilers, went to Stanford, then transferred out now to IU:   I believe 2 years left to play.  

Jovan Swann could be next

4 hours ago, Footballking16 said:

Rutger--Win

@ Illinos----Should win

@ Michigan-----loss

Northwestern--should win

The biggest difference between Indiana and Purdue is that one AD was smart enough to schedule cream puffs in order to inflate win totals and qualify for a bowl game while the other insists on consistently playing power five teams in the non-conference and even made a trip to Nevada!

52 minutes ago, Temptation said:

The biggest difference between Indiana and Purdue is that one AD was smart enough to schedule cream puffs in order to inflate win totals and qualify for a bowl game while the other insists on consistently playing power five teams in the non-conference and even made a trip to Nevada!

A lot of football schedules are made years (sometimes decades) in advance so a lot of PU’s non-conference opponents were scheduled under a different regime, but yes it is funny to listen to some Purdue fans down play IU’s schedule and subsequent 8-4 record all while sitting at home.

54 minutes ago, Temptation said:

😅😂🤣

59 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

A lot of football schedules are made years (sometimes decades) in advance so a lot of PU’s non-conference opponents were scheduled under a different regime, but yes it is funny to listen to some Purdue fans down play IU’s schedule and subsequent 8-4 record all while sitting at home.

1.  They doubled down on my point.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/saturdaytradition.com/purdue-football/we-like-to-schedule-the-best-opponents-we-can-how-purdue-is-setting-an-example-for-non-conference-scheduling/%3famp

2.  NOT a Purdue fan.

1 hour ago, Temptation said:

Know your place in the college football landscape.  Schedule two money games and a home and home with a power 5 opponent and cruise to bowl eligibility.

I kind of miss the IU-KY game

Would rather play KY than TN in the Gator

22 hours ago, Coach Nowlin said:

I do not need instant gratification, I am not looking for "likes" 

6-6 would be a disappointment, never state otherwise 

Not making excuses, speaking in facts, you continually say that PU ignored OL and DL:    I have actually paid attention ALL THE TIME, and I know they have NOT in fact ignored it, they attempted, didn't land JUCO guys, it happens, all the time in recruiting.   

IU has been "suffering" a lot longer than Purdue has.  I've said several times that IU needs to get to the place where Iowa is at:  7 to 9 wins every year and a bowl.  Why do people want to begrudge Tom Allen a raise?  He has 8 wins this season (non conference schedule be damned).  Again I will say it is the first time it's happened since 1993 (and a winning B1G record).  Think of all of the coaches that IU has had since 1993 and none of them had his success.  IU STILL beat the teams they were supposed to this season.  It takes a while to rebuild a program.  Allen has IU trending in the right direction.  I believe another couple of years and you will see IU beefing up their non conference schedule.  For now, Allen is rebuilding the program after years of being in shambles.  You don't do that by playing top 25 teams every week.  If that is what Purdue wants to do, so be it.  That is their "problem".  if people want to pooh pooh IU's "soft" non conference schedule, let them.  It doesn't take away anything from their 8 wins.  The foundation for IU's future is being built on that softer schedule (for now).  Besides, Alabama has done it for years.  They play powerhouse non conference teams like Chatanooga.  Seriously???  Why throw rocks at IU for it?