Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Indiana Hoosier Football Reaches Pivot Point

Guest DT

When Brohm took over, Purdue's fanbase had low expectations and was expecting 6-6 and a bowl bid in year 3 or 4. Brohm and Co took a bunch of transfers and achieved "play 13" in years 1 and 2. Due to that early success, coupled with Brohm's reputation as an offensive genius, he became a hot target for other programs as a candidate. This left AD Bobinski in a tough spot. Should he risk letting Brohm go or show that he backs the football program, unlike previous AD and well known cheapskate Morgan Burke, and pony up a big contract? Brohm got paid. Unfortunately, this led a lot of casual fans, the ones who dont closely follow recruiting and etc, to think that Purdue was going to have a big 8-10 win season and follow a trajectory from 6-6. Even with all of the injuries last season, a total that actually led the entire nation, Brohm was probably looking at another 6-6 type of season. Most of the depth on this team was composed of true and redshirt freshman, due to years of poor recruiting left behind by the Hazell regime. That depth was then forced to start, exposing a bunch of freshman. This also gave a lot of the freshmen valuable playing time.

Honestly, next year looks like it's going to be another 6-6 type of season barring this team resembling a MASH unit once again. I'm okay with that, though, after dealing with the Danny Hope years of 6-6 mediocrity, followed by Hazell winning less than a dozen games in 4 years. There is upside, as Rondale Moore and DT Lorenzo Neal Jr. will return from injury and the offensive line should show improvement. This gives Purdue's starting QB, whomever that is, two 1000 yard receivers to target, plus the defense returns their best player.

I look forward to 2021 as the year that Purdue takes a giant step, as Purdue currently has only 19 upperclassmen on the entire roster. This includes 11 seniors and 8 juniors.

Edited by AG
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Coach Nowlin said:

Not totally a surprise.  Coach DeBoer is on a roll.  With how the Hoosiers preformed this season, finding a new OC shouldn't be too difficult.  Especially, with the talent that is returning.

First things first however, need to beat Tennessee in the bowl and get that 9th win.

• Like 1

On 12/2/2019 at 11:46 AM, DT said:

Im thinking 

Im thinking Louisville is very happy with their choice of Scott Satterfield as HC.  The Cards rebounded nicely this year to finish second in their division in the ACC at 7-5 and will go to a decent bowl game.

While not a fan, I dont like the way Brohm is building this team.  Perhaps his vision is more short term than long term.  

On 12/9/2019 at 11:19 AM, DT said:

It just seems like you are making a lot of excuses for his obvious recruiting shortcomings.  I expected better results.  Given all the hype.  

Louisville is ahead of Purdue by the way.  They seemed to have made the right choice.

I have the right to change my "take" after viewing the results on the field.

If Purdue goes 6-6 next year, which might be a stretch, Brohm will be 23-27 after 4 years at the helm.  In this era of instant gratification, that's not too impressive.

As far as Allen was concerned, I had zero expectations.  I am pleasantly surprised as an alum and a fan.

On 12/9/2019 at 11:33 AM, DT said:

I think Illinois might actually be slightly ahead of Purdue.  Lovie had a nice season and the Wisky win was huge.  Same as PU win over OSU last year

And the Illini smacked the Boilers in WL.  Illini recruiting is on the strong uptick.  That could make life difficult for Brohm

After the 1st singing period:  https://247sports.com/Season/2020-Football/CompositeTeamRankings/

Purdue 30th

Louisville:  39th 

IU 50th 

Illinois 64th

Rutgers 67th

Maybe a couple difference maker on rankings left to be signed but as it stands right now

Big Winner last 4 weeks:  Scott Frost and Nebraska:  big finish in December leaped them into 20th.  

I believe that there could be a big 4 star QB out of Texas that could have given Boilers the David Bell, Rondale Moore, big time silent verbal and will do the hat dance live at the US All America game just like Bell and Moore did.   Down to Baylor Purdue, Oregon 

If he jumps with the Boilers, could push them into top 25 range.   

2 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

After the 1st singing period:  https://247sports.com/Season/2020-Football/CompositeTeamRankings/

Purdue 30th

Louisville:  39th 

IU 50th 

Illinois 64th

Rutgers 67th

Maybe a couple difference maker on rankings left to be signed but as it stands right now

Big Winner last 4 weeks:  Scott Frost and Nebraska:  big finish in December leaped them into 20th.  

I believe that there could be a big 4 star QB out of Texas that could have given Boilers the David Bell, Rondale Moore, big time silent verbal and will do the hat dance live at the US All America game just like Bell and Moore did.   Down to Baylor Purdue, Oregon 

If he jumps with the Boilers, could push them into top 25 range.   

Great results for Brohm and his staff.  Boilers appear to have the market cornered on QBs and receivers.  Are they plugging the other gaping holes?  

Nebraska has a nice class going.  Frost is leveraging his Florida connections.  That gives IU more competition in FL.  

2 hours ago, DT said:

Great results for Brohm and his staff.  Boilers appear to have the market cornered on QBs and receivers.  Are they plugging the other gaping holes?  

Nebraska has a nice class going.  Frost is leveraging his Florida connections.  That gives IU more competition in FL.  

According to who?  

23 hours ago, DT said:

I really believe they will snag this Hornsby kid too out of Texas.  

The NW verbal, 4 star WR absolutely looked at Fitz offense vs Brohm and how they develop and throw to WR and flat out made a business decision. 

If I was a DB, I would look at PU from the simple fact of who you would be competing against in practice daily to get to that level to earn a check on Sundays.   

I believe I read that Brohm's initial JC/Grad Portal OL and DL targets were all off the board else where, so maybe there will be another wave he has in mind.  But yes, that and potential of a Grad Transfer QB is being talked about, but I rather get the kid in Texas.  

20 hours ago, itiswhatitis said:

According to who?  

every national recruiting service last 2 years.

48 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

I really believe they will snag this Hornsby kid too out of Texas.  

The NW verbal, 4 star WR absolutely looked at Fitz offense vs Brohm and how they develop and throw to WR and flat out made a business decision. 

If I was a DB, I would look at PU from the simple fact of who you would be competing against in practice daily to get to that level to earn a check on Sundays.   

I believe I read that Brohm's initial JC/Grad Portal OL and DL targets were all off the board else where, so maybe there will be another wave he has in mind.  But yes, that and potential of a Grad Transfer QB is being talked about, but I rather get the kid in Texas.  

every national recruiting service last 2 years.

Then why aren't they winning more if they have the market cornered?  Not buying it.

49 minutes ago, itiswhatitis said:

Then why aren't they winning more if they have the market cornered?  Not buying it.

Feel free to go back thru this thread

Purdue thread

I have opined the reasons from my eyes why. 

Man I wish Brohm would of went for 2 and won last week of season......   

I love your IU pride my friend, but just understand that the Train is continuing to come....... 

• 3 weeks later...
48 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

Do not see him in West Lafayette 

He will have just about anywhere to go in the nation is my guess 

If I was the Cronk family, I would look to see where I can play to maximize his draft stock.   Doubt IU or PU unfortunately is those places

Alabama is losing an OT this year.

5 hours ago, Coach Nowlin said:

Do not see him in West Lafayette 

He will have just about anywhere to go in the nation is my guess 

If I was the Cronk family, I would look to see where I can play to maximize his draft stock.   Doubt IU or PU unfortunately is those places

I would agree to an extent. I believe the B1G has rules that really restrict transfers within the conference. I know for certain they did just a few years ago. Maybe the setup of this portal changed them? I would add that IU has been a decent place to find o linemen over the years. 

9 minutes ago, Irishman said:

I would agree to an extent. I believe the B1G has rules that really restrict transfers within the conference. I know for certain they did just a few years ago. Maybe the setup of this portal changed them? I would add that IU has been a decent place to find o linemen over the years. 

I think the portal changed those rules where schools could block other schools etc etc  

• Thanks 1

Would not be shocked to see him declare for the draft, especially after being injured.

Reason I’m hearing he’s in the portal is that IU told him he’d be moving to guard. True Freshman Matthew Bedford supplanted him in the line up last year and has NFL talent written all over him. Not sure why Cronk wouldn’t accept the move to OG as that is likely his projected position in the NFL. I highly doubt he’s going to ND or Alabama to play LT.

Also, love the hire of Kevin Wright.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Coach Nowlin said:

big time hire for Tom Allen, no way around it 

We'll see about that

Wright is a good coach, not a great one.   He has had elite talent everywhere he has coached in the past 20 years.   Winning at a very high level was the only expectation

In my view, this is all about Wright's ability to deliver IMG talent to Bloomington

Looking forward to watching that play out.  

Do not fret, IU still has Ball St and UCONN to soften the blow from opening up in Madison. 

Not sure UCONN will have anybody left to field a team in 2020 

number of transfer portal players is up to 20 or so 

https://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-football/hc-sp-uconn-football-transfer-list-players-20191212-20191212-jx45cp4vvnfupahy2gwhab23om-story.html