Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Indiana Hoosier Football Reaches Pivot Point

Guest DT

1 hour ago, Coach Nowlin said:

Do not fret, IU still has Ball St and UCONN to soften the blow from opening up in Madison. 

Not sure UCONN will have anybody left to field a team in 2020 

number of transfer portal players is up to 20 or so 

https://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-football/hc-sp-uconn-football-transfer-list-players-20191212-20191212-jx45cp4vvnfupahy2gwhab23om-story.html

Go Cardinals!  Chirp! Chirp!

On 1/29/2020 at 9:40 AM, Coach Nowlin said:

Do not fret, IU still has Ball St and UCONN to soften the blow from opening up in Madison. 

Not sure UCONN will have anybody left to field a team in 2020 

number of transfer portal players is up to 20 or so 

https://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-football/hc-sp-uconn-football-transfer-list-players-20191212-20191212-jx45cp4vvnfupahy2gwhab23om-story.html

They are seriously considering contraction

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, southend said:

Strength coach Ballou is being courted by Nick Sabin. Poor Indiana, coaching merry-go-round.  
maybe he has some loyalty. 

The implication being that if he leaves Indiana for what he perceives to be a career-advancing opportunity at Alabama that is somehow disloyal? Disagree strongly. He’s a professional football coach. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, southend said:

Your words, 

So.,,... a professional football coach can’t be loyal. 

Sure he can, but it’s a matter of priorities. He can be loyal to his family by doing the best he can to advance in his career and provide for them the best he is able. Sounds to me like that’s what he’s doing. That’s where his loyalty belongs.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, southend said:

Your words, 

So.,,... a professional football coach can’t be loyal. 

Not very many coaches are going to be loyal to a bottom-half Big Ten program when Alabama shows interest. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AG said:

Not very many coaches are going to be loyal to a bottom-half Big Ten program when Alabama shows interest. 

1 hour ago, AG said:

Agreed, it’s been happening since Wilson took over. At least thePositive of all this is we know all the lost assistants Wilson and Allen lost we’re giving Indiana at least a year of there expertises. And they must be good to get  the attention of top echelon programs. Purdue doesn’t have this problem. 

Being in the coaching ranks, and knowing a number of college coaches, one thing I have learned.......There is no loyalty to a head coach; and if there is, it is rare. It seems coaches on that level are always looking for the next opportunity.....ALWAYS. It is the nature of the business....not the game, but the business side of this sport. Greg Mattison is a prime example.....coached under Lloyd Carr as a DC; then goes to one of their big rivals at the time in ND. Comes back to UM under Harbaugh and then goes to Ohio State now. To be a strength coach at Indiana where he may be making something around $150,000 a year to Alabama where he could make twice that much is a no brainer. That said, I do not envy college coaches at all; to never really settle somewhere long term is not attractive in my mind. The travels that the ones I know have taken have been ridiculous. There are a couple of them that look back and say yeah, that was nuts. 

• Thanks 1

Alabama?   He is VERY tied in with those strength coaches, not sure they would be able to convince Saban to take him on or not. 

I am sure he will have a lot of suitors:  Sits a year, will be a RS Sophomore when eligible at new school unless NCAA passes that 1 time free transfer rule before he has to use that shirt on transfer year  

On 3/2/2020 at 10:03 PM, Coach Nowlin said:

and Sampson James who was heavily connected to strength coach has entered the Portal 

That is really disappointing, I was just thinking IU had its feature back for 2-3 years. Any chance he stays?? 

2 hours ago, Coach Nowlin said:

No idea 

Haven't seen any reports where a player enters the portal but stays......

I didn't know if that was an option. If he doesn't see fit at other places that pursue him, but player decides to stay. But, would team want that player back is also a big if !!