Sign in to follow this  
DT

Indiana Hoosier Football Reaches Pivot Point

2 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

After the 1st singing period:  https://247sports.com/Season/2020-Football/CompositeTeamRankings/

Purdue 30th

Louisville:  39th 

IU 50th 

Illinois 64th

Rutgers 67th

Maybe a couple difference maker on rankings left to be signed but as it stands right now

Big Winner last 4 weeks:  Scott Frost and Nebraska:  big finish in December leaped them into 20th.  

I believe that there could be a big 4 star QB out of Texas that could have given Boilers the David Bell, Rondale Moore, big time silent verbal and will do the hat dance live at the US All America game just like Bell and Moore did.   Down to Baylor Purdue, Oregon 

If he jumps with the Boilers, could push them into top 25 range.   

Great results for Brohm and his staff.  Boilers appear to have the market cornered on QBs and receivers.  Are they plugging the other gaping holes?  

Nebraska has a nice class going.  Frost is leveraging his Florida connections.  That gives IU more competition in FL.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DT said:

Great results for Brohm and his staff.  Boilers appear to have the market cornered on QBs and receivers.  Are they plugging the other gaping holes?  

Nebraska has a nice class going.  Frost is leveraging his Florida connections.  That gives IU more competition in FL.  

According to who?  

23 hours ago, DT said:

I really believe they will snag this Hornsby kid too out of Texas.  

The NW verbal, 4 star WR absolutely looked at Fitz offense vs Brohm and how they develop and throw to WR and flat out made a business decision. 

If I was a DB, I would look at PU from the simple fact of who you would be competing against in practice daily to get to that level to earn a check on Sundays.   

I believe I read that Brohm's initial JC/Grad Portal OL and DL targets were all off the board else where, so maybe there will be another wave he has in mind.  But yes, that and potential of a Grad Transfer QB is being talked about, but I rather get the kid in Texas.  

20 hours ago, itiswhatitis said:

According to who?  

every national recruiting service last 2 years.

48 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

I really believe they will snag this Hornsby kid too out of Texas.  

The NW verbal, 4 star WR absolutely looked at Fitz offense vs Brohm and how they develop and throw to WR and flat out made a business decision. 

If I was a DB, I would look at PU from the simple fact of who you would be competing against in practice daily to get to that level to earn a check on Sundays.   

I believe I read that Brohm's initial JC/Grad Portal OL and DL targets were all off the board else where, so maybe there will be another wave he has in mind.  But yes, that and potential of a Grad Transfer QB is being talked about, but I rather get the kid in Texas.  

every national recruiting service last 2 years.

Then why aren't they winning more if they have the market cornered?  Not buying it.

49 minutes ago, itiswhatitis said:

Then why aren't they winning more if they have the market cornered?  Not buying it.

Feel free to go back thru this thread

Purdue thread

I have opined the reasons from my eyes why. 

Man I wish Brohm would of went for 2 and won last week of season......   

I love your IU pride my friend, but just understand that the Train is continuing to come....... 

Last 3 years:

IU is 18-18

PU is 17-21 with a 1-1 Bowl Record 

Many would agree that Wilson left Coach Allen a FAR better roster and shape then Hazell left Brohm. 

1 hour ago, Coach Nowlin said:

any would agree that Wilson left Coach Allen a FAR better roster and shape then Hazell left Brohm

true statement

• Like 1

Do not see him in West Lafayette 

He will have just about anywhere to go in the nation is my guess 

If I was the Cronk family, I would look to see where I can play to maximize his draft stock.   Doubt IU or PU unfortunately is those places

48 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

If I was the Cronk family, I would look to see where I can play to maximize his draft stock.   Doubt IU or PU unfortunately is those places

Alabama is losing an OT this year.

3 hours ago, Coach Nowlin said:

Probably so...but he is coming off of an injury.

On the other hand, both schools have put OL's in the pro's in the past.  Although to your point, other schools have put volumes more into the pro's.

I am surprised a team captain would bail now...he could be thinking about his field of study maybe....just makes me wonder if there are things going on that isn't so rosy......

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Coach Nowlin said:

I would agree to an extent. I believe the B1G has rules that really restrict transfers within the conference. I know for certain they did just a few years ago. Maybe the setup of this portal changed them? I would add that IU has been a decent place to find o linemen over the years. 

9 minutes ago, Irishman said:

I would agree to an extent. I believe the B1G has rules that really restrict transfers within the conference. I know for certain they did just a few years ago. Maybe the setup of this portal changed them? I would add that IU has been a decent place to find o linemen over the years. 

I think the portal changed those rules where schools could block other schools etc etc  

• Thanks 1

Would not be shocked to see him declare for the draft, especially after being injured.

Reason I’m hearing he’s in the portal is that IU told him he’d be moving to guard. True Freshman Matthew Bedford supplanted him in the line up last year and has NFL talent written all over him. Not sure why Cronk wouldn’t accept the move to OG as that is likely his projected position in the NFL. I highly doubt he’s going to ND or Alabama to play LT.

Also, love the hire of Kevin Wright.

• Like 1

On 1/9/2020 at 1:43 PM, Coach Nowlin said:

Promoting TE coach to OC over Hart?   

Hart is the new associate head coach

Kevin Wright was destined to be with Tom Allen 

He will eventually work his way up to Power5 HC.    

Big Get for IU

16 hours ago, Coach Nowlin said:

Cronk to Iowa 

IU and Iowa don't meet in 2020.  Not sure if that played at all into that decision.

On 1/11/2020 at 1:22 PM, Coach Nowlin said:

Kevin Wright was destined to be with Tom Allen 

He will eventually work his way up to Power5 HC.    

Big Get for IU

https://iuhoosiers.com/news/2020/1/19/football-allen-rounds-out-coaching-staff.aspx

Wright is a 20-year head coaching veteran with 13 of those years in the state of Indiana and the last five at IMG Academy in Bradenton, Fla.

"I've known Kevin for many, many years" Allen said. "He's been one of the most successful high school coaches in the country and has done a tremendous job working with some of the top talent in the country at IMG. Kevin allows us to expand our recruiting base and continue our success in the state of Florida. He's a great fit for our program in so many ways, and we are excited to welcome Kevin and his family to IU."

Wright owns an overall record of 229-65 (.779), eight Top-10 national rankings, four state championships and two state runner-up finishes as a head coach. He has mentored four national players of the year, 39 All-Americans and over 150 Division I student-athletes.

"It's very exciting to be coming home to Indiana to join the IU football program," Wright said. "Coach Allen and his staff have done a great  job building a culture based on players and staff who care about each other and play the game with tremendous passion. I think Hoosier fans across the country recognize that and are excited for the future."

At IMG, Wright posted a 44-2 mark in five seasons (2015-19). The program posted three-straight undefeated seasons (2015-17) and five-consecutive Top-6 national rankings.

He guided Carmel (Ind.) High School (2010-14) to a 54-11 record and three state championship game appearances, with a title and No. 4 national ranking in 2011. Wright became the fifth coach in Indiana history to claim state titles at multiple schools.

From 2003-05, he led Indianapolis power Warren Central High School to three-consecutive state championships. The 2005 team finished the season ranked fifth in the nation and the Warriors were ranked nationally for four-consecutive years.

Wright began his head-coaching career at Noblesville (Ind.) High School (1992-98) and spent one season in charge at Louisville Trinity (2000) before moving to Warren Central (2000-05).

Prior to his stint at Carmel, he served as the offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach at Western Kentucky University (2007-08). The 2007 Hilltoppers finished seventh in the country in rushing offense and 28th in scoring offense.

Wright's father, Bud, is the winningest coach in Indiana high school football history and one of the top 15 all-time winningest coaches nationally. A member of the Indiana High School Football Hall of Fame, Bud is in his 53rd year at Sheridan High School.

Kevin and his wife, Elizabeth, have one daughter, Trinity (18), and one son, Will (14).

2 hours ago, Coach Nowlin said:

big time hire for Tom Allen, no way around it 

We'll see about that

Wright is a good coach, not a great one.   He has had elite talent everywhere he has coached in the past 20 years.   Winning at a very high level was the only expectation

In my view, this is all about Wright's ability to deliver IMG talent to Bloomington

Looking forward to watching that play out.  

• Like 2

Tough schedule for IU next season. Open up with Wisconsin in Madison. 

F7FB62C1-0DA1-4248-A0CF-71DB33C588F3.jpeg