Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Cathedral at Brebeuf Jesuit

Catholics vs. Catholics is always tough!  I'm sure ex-Cathedral OC Mic Roessler, now HC at Brebeuf, would like nothing better than to pull off another upset win over the Irish.  The Irish will have to be at their best Friday night for this one.

27 minutes ago, PHJIrish said:

Catholics vs. Catholics is always tough!  I'm sure ex-Cathedral OC Mic Roessler, now HC at Brebeuf, would like nothing better than to pull off another upset win over the Irish.  The Irish will have to be at their best Friday night for this one.

Irish should win this by at least 3 TDs

11 hours ago, CaptainHook said:

interesting stat . . . Orin Edwards has 18 TD passes . . . Cameron Jordan has 13 TD receptions . . .

interesting stat...Kyle Cheek has 18 TD passes...Andrew Sowinski has 15 TD receptions...

I know this is not a Chatard topic, but the similarity is interesting...

12 hours ago, PHJIrish said:

My friends that attended Creighton would spend hours explaining to me that Catholic and Jesuit aren't the same thing. LOL

The Chatard scores would indicate that Cathedral is the favorite.  Based on past history though, Brebeuf week 1 and week 8 are completely different teams.  Coach Roessler's teams get better as the season wears on.

55 minutes ago, Trojan88 said:

interesting stat...Kyle Cheek has 18 TD passes...Andrew Sowinski has 15 TD receptions...

I know this is not a Chatard topic, but the similarity is interesting...

Funny - was thinking the exact same thing last night when I saw the earlier post.

44 minutes ago, oldtimeqb said:

Coach Roessler's teams get better as the season wears on.

Seems to be the case (as both Cathedral and West Lafayette learned a couple of years back) but the Brebeuf/Culver game every year baffles me as to how close it ends up (or even when Culver won) when Brebeuf should be a huge favorite.  Last week’s Brebeuf/Terre Haute score made me scratch my head a bit also.

13 hours ago, PHJIrish said:

Catholics vs. Catholics is always tough! 

But I thought Brebeuf was no longer a Catholic institution, at least according to the Indy Archdiocese :  https://www.indystar.com/story/news/education/2019/08/05/brebeuf-jesuit-appeals-split-catholic-church-barred-holding-mass/1920187001/

The Indianapolis high school stripped of its Catholic identity over the employment of a gay teacher in a same-sex marriage has taken its case to Rome.

Brebeuf Jesuit Preparatory School is appealing the decision of the Indianapolis Archdiocese to no longer recognize the school as Catholic. Archbishop Charles C. Thompson issued a decree cutting ties with Brebeuf in June after the school refused to fire Layton Payne-Elliott.

• Disdain 1

19 minutes ago, Lysander said:

Seems to be the case (as both Cathedral and West Lafayette learned a couple of years back) but the Brebeuf/Culver game every year baffles me as to how close it ends up (or even when Culver won) when Brebeuf should be a huge favorite.  Last week’s Brebeuf/Terre Haute score made me scratch my head a bit also.

1 hour ago, oldtimeqb said:

My friends that attended Creighton would spend hours explaining to me that Catholic and Jesuit aren't the same thing. LOL

The Chatard scores would indicate that Cathedral is the favorite.  Based on past history though, Brebeuf week 1 and week 8 are completely different teams.  Coach Roessler's teams get better as the season wears on.

Without question - Brebeuf has always trended up as the season progresses. They are more than ready come playoff time and usually trending in the right direction.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

But I thought Brebeuf was no longer a Catholic institution, at least according to the Indy Archdiocese :  https://www.indystar.com/story/news/education/2019/08/05/brebeuf-jesuit-appeals-split-catholic-church-barred-holding-mass/1920187001/

It's definitely Catholic as it is still recognized by the Jesuit order, it just isn't recognized by the Archdiocese of Indianapolis.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Footballking16 said:

It's definitely Catholic as it is still recognized by the Jesuit order, it just isn't recognized by the Archdiocese of Indianapolis.

So the "Catholic authority" if you will of the Jesuit order trumps that of an Archdiocese?  Sorry,  just trying to understand the Catholic hierarchy/bureaucracy here.

• Disdain 2

24 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

So the "Catholic authority" if you will of the Jesuit order trumps that of an Archdiocese?  Sorry,  just trying to understand the Catholic hierarchy/bureaucracy here.

The Vatican has paused the decision in Indy until a full hearing takes place. 

https://www.indystar.com/story/news/education/2019/09/23/brebeuf-jesuit-vatican-temporarily-suspends-indianapolis-archdiocese-suspension-over-gay-teacher/2421202001/

39 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

Hard to do, really!  

2 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

Brebeuf isn't an Archdiocesan school.

Then why did the Archdiocese supposedly think it had the authority to declare Brebeuf "no longer a Catholic school"?

Sounds like a job for the Pope to straighten this out.

• Disdain 1

4 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

Then why did the Archdiocese supposedly think it had the authority to declare Brebeuf "no longer a Catholic school"?

Sounds like a job for the Pope to straighten this out.

The Archdiocese not recognizing Brebeuf as a catholic school has no bearing on Brebeuf's catholic affiliation. Brebeuf is still recognized as a catholic school by the Jesuit order and the Jesuit's are the ones who run and fund Brebeuf. Brebeuf doesn't need the Archdiocese and vice versa. 

• Like 1

Get back to the game talk. If you have other questions, there is already a topic on the ongoing matter in the Out of Bounds forum. 

I love seeing these two teams playing each other. Both are well coached teams. Having friends on both teams’ staffs, I am staying neutral. Best of luck to both teams. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Lysander said:

Sounds like a great discussion for the “Out of Bounds”....

Yep!  I had a feeling that Muda would muddy up this thread.  

I think I read somewhere that Brebeuf Jesuit will be on the New Pal schedule next year.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Lysander said:

Sounds like a great discussion for the “Out of Bounds”....

I take responsibility for starting the Jesuit/Catholic discussion. My fault for trying to use humor.

My line? It was a smart line. And a smart crowd would appreciate it. I’m not gonna dumb it down for some bonehead mass audience! 

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, oldtimeqb said:

I take responsibility for starting the Jesuit/Catholic discussion. My fault for trying to use humor.

My line? It was a smart line. And a smart crowd would appreciate it. I’m not gonna dumb it down for some bonehead mass audience! 

No need for taking responsibility. I chuckled when I read it, but you went right back to the game discussion. Someone else chose to go “deeper”. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, oldtimeqb said:

Unfortunately, thanks to our maligned, self serving Archbishop, both schools have been dealing with the fallout of his actions for more than 24 months now. Though we would all like to joke about it, it has pretty much shredded the local Catholic community between the schools (and across the entire Indy Archdiocese). Brebeuf will be entangled with the Vatican for months to come as they search to usurp the Indy Archdiocean scourge with the Jesuits as their advocate. Cathedral will be entangled as a key witness in a major federal discrimination suit that will go to the highest levels of the US federal courts. 

As for the game, the 2017 upset was Brebeuf’s greatest win ever in my opinion. A perfectly coached game by Coach Roessler had 3 huge punts pinning the Irish inside our own 10 yard line 3 times. Another bold 4th and 2 call from Brebeuf’s own 40 for a TD was game breaker. I hope the boys all remember that game. If so, the Irish should win big. 

• Like 1