Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Best hs player you've seen in person

It looks as if we have several young guys on here.  Rod Woodson, FW Snider.  Another "younger" guy from the Fort would be Bernard Pollard, FW South.

An Indy guy that hasn't been mentioned is Mark Clayton, Cathedral.

I had the chance to watch all of them at least once during their high school career.

• Like 1

Out of the Fort Wayne area..............Vaughn Dunbar, Miquale Lewis, Rod Smith, Jaylon Smith, John Goodman, and Selwyn Lymon. Many great players from the area, but those six just left you speechless after seeing them at the high school level. 

12 minutes ago, Major said:

It looks as if we have several young guys on here.  Rod Woodson, FW Snider.  Another "younger" guy from the Fort would be Bernard Pollard, FW South.

I had the chance to watch all of them at least once during their high school career.

Too young so I missed the Rod Woodson era in Fort Wayne.  Would have loved to see him play.  Assume he was a 2-way player, no?  I know he was also a nationally hurdler in track and field.

14 minutes ago, Major said:

NEVER knew Clayton was a Hoosier, wow.

12 minutes ago, Temptation said:

Too young so I missed the Rod Woodson era in Fort Wayne.  Would have loved to see him play.  Assume he was a 2-way player, no?  I know he was also a nationally hurdler in track and field.

Yep,  McCutcheon HS

13 minutes ago, Temptation said:

2 minutes ago, Gipper said:

Yep,  McCutcheon HS

My bad, wrong Clayton (I’ll kick my own butt later)...

I only saw Jaylon Smith as Frosh/Soph

Kyle Adams QB West Lafayette is the toughest QB I have coached against.  

Nick Zachary is the toughest Running QB I have coached against 

George Karlaftis is the toughest Defensive Player I have coached against 

Danny Anthrop was the toughest running back I coached against 

Martin Brothers at Chatard was the toughest OL i have coached against (if summer Team Camp counts) 

2 of my best players I have coached:  QB Jake Kiger and DE Austin Fleming 

Jeff George (WC)

Stephen Holman (Ben Davis '91)

Derrick Mays (NC)

Desmond Tardy (WC)

Otis Shannon (Catherdral)

George Karlaftis (WL)

That being said, I think more good players are coming out of the state of Indiana right now then ever have before, and we have put out some great ones!

• Like 4

James Banksof Ben Davis when I was still doing radio. I was shocked that it was on offense when they rested him because of his playmaking abilities on D and in the return game. Wow.

Played alongside Scot McDowell at Wawasee. Dude could change a game all by himself. 

But finding ways to contain Bronson Yoder as an opposing NLC coach was a bi&^%.

18 hours ago, FWfootball10 said:

Miquale Lewis was awesome but a little bit before my time.

I remember playing against him my junior season when he and Artis Chambers were seniors on Snider's squad. Both of them were just unbelievably talented.

18 hours ago, Olympian06 said:

Stevie Brown - Columbus East

I'll never forget going to a 7 on 7 tournament and seeing him play. REALLLYYYY glad we didn't match up against Columbus East because I would have thrown at least 6 INTs to him. Guarantee it.

Some others I'll add to the list - as a homer, current Merrillville HC Brad Seiss was/is arguably the best Warsaw Tiger to have ever played. He was a fantastic athlete and is mostly remembered for his career as a tailback, but he actually started Varisty as a freshman in the defensive backfield for the Tigers.

Another that I always like to add to this list is Chris Kramer from Huntington North. I feel like it always gets forgotten at how much of an athlete he was on the gridiron after he went on to play and start on the Purdue basketball team. We played against Huntington North my sophomore year in sectionals and he did everything for the Vikings. QB/Safety/Punter/Kick Returner. He literally never left the field. He was an absolute stud.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TheWaterBoii said:

Dexter Larimore

Merrillville High School

HW Wrestling State Runner up to Chris Kasten Winamac 2004-2005

HW Wrestling State Champ 2005-2006

DL- Ohio State

DUDE WAS A STUD ON THE GRIDIRON AND ON THE MAT.

That Chris Kasten/Larimore match at state was a CLASSIC.  Helluva good wrestler and guy too. 

16 hours ago, BLKnights7 said:

Trai Essex, Jason Fabini, James Hardy, Jaylon Smith, Anthony Spencer, Rod Smith, Tyler Eifert. 

Anthony Spencer!! I saw him play but I was too young to really appreciate how good he was (saw him in the 00 semi state when i was in 6th grade!)

Edited by Ultimate Warrior
  • Like 1

I've seen a lot of great ones in my 60+ years of watching Indiana high school football, but the best running back I've ever seen is Cathedral's Otis Shannon.  His 489 yards rushing against Cincinnati LaSalle was incredible alone.  He had great instincts.

11 hours ago, TrojanDad said:

James Banks, Chris Graham, (WC Linebacker played at Michigan) Jerimy Finch, Desmond Tardy,  Cameron McGrone, Blair Kiel

From the home team - Jeremy VanAlstyne (Michigan) and Jovan Swann (currently Stanford senior)

Good call on VanAlstyne, he was a beast.

Van Alstyne, Chris Dittoe at Dwenger, James Banks at BD, Randy Gregory at HSE, Bryant Fitzgerald at Avon, all special players I saw in person.

Edited by gaby