Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Field Turf @ Northrop

19 hours ago, Coach Nowlin said:

only field in Ft Wayne that needs turf ASAP is one that resides at 

333 E Paulding Rd, Fort Wayne, IN 46816

Careful what you wish for. Imagine if Jaylon had turf 😲

Putting in turf at a parochial school would most likely mean it would be used for other sports as well.  Without knowing much of anything about Luers (except football is pretty good) I would imagine it would be a major investment from alumni, boosters and sponsors, with a less money coming from the school/athletic dept.  The turf would have to be used by soccer and lacrosse (if applicable) and possibly track, softball, baseball, cross country for conditioning purposes.

How much of a priority is turf to the Luers folk?  Asking because I honestly don't know.  Maybe other school matters are deemed more important than turf for now?  Football seems pretty high on the list, so  I would venture to guess it might be on their minds, but haven't found a way to finance it yet?  That's a sizeable amount of dough to cough up on top of existing tuition, fees & other school or sports related expenses for the parents - and  sizeable for  some of the alumni as well, I'd think.

I'm going out on a limb here and guessing that if Luers already had the funds appropriated they probably would have "just put it in" by now.  Correct me if I'm wrong, though.

Is there a sentimental or nostalgic component at play here?  Luersfield is an iconic place for a lot of people.  Maybe keeping it grass is a way to keep the "feel" of the place the same?  Just a thought....

Edited by Bonecrusher

12 hours ago, LuersLurker said:

Luers is a parochial school.  In the end, they answer to the Bishop

Yes, I know that. What I'm saying is they are a private school so if they want to do, they can. They don't need school board approval.

8 hours ago, Bonecrusher said:

How much of a priority is turf to the Luers folk?  Asking because I honestly don't know.  Maybe other school matters are deemed more important than turf for now?  Football seems pretty high on the list, so  I would venture to guess it might be on their minds, but haven't found a way to finance it yet?  That's a sizeable amount of dough to cough up on top of existing tuition, fees & other school or sports related expenses for the parents - and  sizeable for  some of the alumni as well, I'd think.

I'm going out on a limb here and guessing that if Luers already had the funds appropriated they probably would have "just put it in" by now.  Correct me if I'm wrong, though.

Is there a sentimental or nostalgic component at play here?  Luersfield is an iconic place for a lot of people.  Maybe keeping it grass is a way to keep the "feel" of the place the same?  Just a thought....

Years ago, money for Luers field was raised by such things as bingo.  Donations have helped with some improvements over the years (the track, for example), but the care of the field turf has always been done by a volunteer group of Luers Dads.  Some  nostalgia may be involved.  A major capital campaign has been going for a number of years now to improve the school building.  Field turf is probably low priority.  However, if a donor wanted to donate for just turf, they won't turn that person down

23 hours ago, LuersLurker said:

Years ago, money for Luers field was raised by such things as bingo.  Donations have helped with some improvements over the years (the track, for example), but the care of the field turf has always been done by a volunteer group of Luers Dads.  Some  nostalgia may be involved.  A major capital campaign has been going for a number of years now to improve the school building.  Field turf is probably low priority.  However, if a donor wanted to donate for just turf, they won't turn that person down

Jaylon could step up and donate a fraction of his $, Just saying.

7 hours ago, Mebuck said:

Love how everyone thinks NFL players have extra money.  Jaylon is still in his rookie contract.  It has a cap on it. They don't make that much. When he becomes a free agent then he will have more in his bank account. 

There are plenty of NFL/MLB/MLS riches from the SAC, but that money is fleeting.   Why don’t HWI, Steel Dynamics, Vera Bradley, Lincoln Financial or other insurance company in town, paintball gun wizards, or Sweetwater step up? Lots of big companies in Fort Wayne. 

Edited by Robert

On 1/20/2019 at 12:51 AM, Mebuck said:

Love how everyone thinks NFL players have extra money.  Jaylon is still in his rookie contract.  It has a cap on it. They don't make that much. When he becomes a free agent then he will have more in his bank account. 

Yea, I forgot how hard it is for those to live off a million or two for 3-4 years. It's not forget about all those endorsements, that likely adds a few million. 

On 1/19/2019 at 9:06 PM, psaboy said:

Jaylon could step up and donate a fraction of his $, Just saying.

He will never make up the $20M he lost due to the injury so he is probably pinching his pennies very carefully.