Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Sectional 34

6 minutes ago, from_the_sidelines007 said:

Anyone out there with a recommendation on places to eat on the way to Walton, IN.?

Looks like LaVille to take on #1 Lewis Cass for a Sectional title.

Early precincts indicate Kings by 28 points.

as always,  the game is better 

from_the_sidelines007 

I agree with 28+ Cass victory

22 minutes ago, SteelCurtain88 said:

Come on, 28 and 40 points!!  Laville is 9-2 for reason!  They will score and I say 35-21 game at most!  I think they are primed for an upset.  

I don't dislike LaVille but if Pioneer can't score more then 8 in sectionals. What makes you think LaVille can? 

I predict a 49-7 game. 

• Like 2

Here are the opponents records of teams Laville and Cass have beat this season.  As much as I would like to see the kids get a championship, it is going to be a very tall task.  This is where Laville has always had problems, winning the big games.  Looks like it may be the case this year too. Laville beat 2 teams with winning records and they were 1A.  Cass has beaten 6 teams with winning records.  I guess this could be worse than I thought!  

3-8  Bremen

2-8  Triton

5-6  Winamac

0-10  Caston

3-7  John Glenn

6-4  North Judson

4-6  Wabash

7-4  Culver

30-53  Totals

8-2  Pioneer (Twice)

7-3  Maconaquah

1-9  Benton Central

6-5  Tipton

0-10  Northwestern

6-4  Western

2-8  Hamilton Heights 

9-2  West Lafayette 

4-7  Rochester

43-50  Totals

Edited by SteelCurtain88

Hey, it’s tournament time, all those records are thrown out the window.  Both teams are 2-0 and if Lewis Cass comes in looking pass the Lancers, they may be in trouble.  LaVille plays very physical and have some very skilled kids, so I wouldn’t count them out quite yet.  If they can prevent Lewis Cass from getting the big play scores and protect the ball, it will be a game.

SECTIONAL 34
LaVille (9-2) at Lewis Cass (10-1)
GAME TIME: 7 pm ET, Owens Stadium.
COACHES: Will Hostrawser, 55-25 in 7th year at LaVille. Jeff Phillips, 25-20 in 4th year at Cass, 71-54 in 12th year overall.
SAGARIN RATINGS: Cass, 78.81, 33rd overall, 1st in 2A. LaVille, 49.26, 132nd overall, 14th in 2A.
LAST OUTING: LaVille defeated Bremen, 34-14. Cass defeated Rochester, 53-9.
VS. COMMON FOES: LaVille 0-1; Cass 2-0.
OPPONENTS' RECORDS: LaVille 51-64. Cass 60-54.
SERIES LAST 35 YEARS: Cass, 4-0
LAST MEETING: Cass, 49-6, Aug. 27, 2004.
jh PREDICTION: Cass, 38-17.

All I’m saying is that history shows that Laville has not been able to win BIG games under Hostrawser.  That’s not a knock, just truth.  I want to see the kids win!  But after looking at who they have beaten this season compared to Cass, I think Laville will have problems coming close in this BIG game too.

20 hours ago, cpg1970 said:

Hey, it’s tournament time, all those records are thrown out the window.  Both teams are 2-0 and if Lewis Cass comes in looking pass the Lancers, they may be in trouble.  LaVille plays very physical and have some very skilled kids, so I wouldn’t count them out quite yet.  If they can prevent Lewis Cass from getting the big play scores and protect the ball, it will be a game.

Although I agree with your statement that last sentence has been a problem for teams against the Kings including teams that are better than Laville.  

You can bet the Kings will not be overlooking Laville at all. They are good football team with only 2 losses. They seem to have fewer than usual 2 way starters for a 2A program, a kicker who can kick 40 yard field goals, and a potent passing game. 

This should be a very good football game. Cass hosting the championship game is huge. Our community is really fired up and will more than likely be a full house. Looks like the temps will be in the 30s - perfect November football. 

Friday can't get here soon enough!!!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, SteelCurtain88 said:

All I’m saying is that history shows that Laville has not been able to win BIG games under Hostrawser.  That’s not a knock, just truth.  I want to see the kids win!  But after looking at who they have beaten this season compared to Cass, I think Laville will have problems coming close in this BIG game too.

I would agree that strength of schedule plays a big role.

You can play several teams that don't have a winning record, and one with a winning record.

Look at the type of competition that both LaVille and Lewis Cass play.

If LaVille plays teams that do not have a winning record, there is a reason for that. and would reflect on preparedness.

If Lewis Cass plays teams that have a winning record, there is a reason for that, and would reflect on preparedness.

Just as cpg1970 said . . . it is tournament time.  Anything can happen!

Cass is a senior-dominated team and that has its advantages.

Both LaVille and Lewis Cass have big--play guys.

Had a chance to watch Lewis Cass ...  Nice team ... not afraid to mix it up.  Very Physical. Playmakers.

These things stand out to me . . . . who can run the ball more efficiently?  Field position?  What offense can keep the other defense on the field the longest?   Turnovers?

LaVille's offense can not be predictable .... LaVille has to establish a running game and that starts up front ... LaVille has to play assignment defense.  If somebody gets caught sleeping, that big-play will happen.

Might be Captain Obvious here

This could be an instant classic or this could be a blowout.

That, my friends, is why we play the games.

I'm glad Lewis Cass is fired up for this one.   They are #1 and should be fired up for every game they play, not just this one.

I would, however, like to think that LaVille is fired up for this one, as well.  I think LaVille will travel well.

Bottom Line: Execution! Execution! Execution!

as always, the game is better

from_the_sidelines007

• Like 2

On 11/4/2019 at 10:21 AM, TacklingFuel_10 said:

Kings are too well coached and senior led to overlook any opponent from here on out. While Laville has had a great year, I don't see them coming away with this one, 35-7 at half and a running clock somewhere in the 3rd quarter.

The more things change the more they stay the same. Two weeks ago was the first Cass game I had been too since I coached against them. Nothing really has changed the mentality is still there they just go out and try to out work everyone they play against. I don't know much about this Laville team but from what I have read on here there is a reason that they are 9-2. I hate to miss this one this week. Good Luck to both teams. 

44 minutes ago, Obi-Wan said:

The more things change the more they stay the same. Two weeks ago was the first Cass game I had been too since I coached against them. Nothing really has changed the mentality is still there they just go out and try to out work everyone they play against. I don't know much about this Laville team but from what I have read on here there is a reason that they are 9-2. I hate to miss this one this week. Good Luck to both teams. 

I'm going to be quite honest and say the same. I haven't seen or been to a game since I coached against them either. 2 weeks ago was indeed my first game as well. I will say this THEY ARE INSANELY PHYSICAL. I remember hearing this my whole life, DO NOT take a play off and give it your all between whistles 110%. I also have preached that to my kids I coach now. If any of the 11 for LAVILLE take a play off or even just a second. THEY WILL NOT WIN. THEY WILL END UP ON THEIR BACK. THEY WILL GET BEAT DEAP.. THEY WILL GET RAN OVER. This CASS team is NASTY, they play fast, VERY FAST, and they play smart. MOST IMPORTANTLY THEY ARE VERY PHYSICAL. When they played PIONEER first week of Sectionals I watched 3RBs and 2OLs all have individual PANCAKES on the same snap. ALL 5  DEFENSE PLAYERS for PIONEER WERE 10 YARDS DEEP AND ON THEIR BACKS. Then I noticed this wasn't a highlight. THIS WAS EVERY SNAP. As the Game progressed it was more and more prevalent.  I was astonished by the pure DOMINANCE. 

With that being said LAVILLE is a very good football team. If anyone on here thinks that LAVILLE is being overlooked you are wrong. The coaching staff at CASS will have these boys ready. LEWIS CASS WILL NEVER VIEW A GAME AS A CUPCAKE.

The players know LAVILLE'S record and will not. I REPEAT WILL NOT LOOK PAST THIS TEAM. Looking forward to watching this game. BEST OF LUCK TO BOTH TEAMS

41 minutes ago, TheWaterBoii said:

I'm going to be quite honest and say the same. I haven't seen or been to a game since I coached against them either. 2 weeks ago was indeed my first game as well. I will say this THEY ARE INSANELY PHYSICAL. I remember hearing this my whole life, DO NOT take a play off and give it your all between whistles 110%. I also have preached that to my kids I coach now. If any of the 11 for LAVILLE take a play off or even just a second. THEY WILL NOT WIN. THEY WILL END UP ON THEIR BACK. THEY WILL GET BEAT DEAP.. THEY WILL GET RAN OVER. This CASS team is NASTY, they play fast, VERY FAST, and they play smart. MOST IMPORTANTLY THEY ARE VERY PHYSICAL. When they played PIONEER first week of Sectionals I watched 3RBs and 2OLs all have individual PANCAKES on the same snap. ALL 5  DEFENSE PLAYERS for PIONEER WERE 10 YARDS DEEP AND ON THEIR BACKS. Then I noticed this wasn't a highlight. THIS WAS EVERY SNAP. As the Game progressed it was more and more prevalent.  I was astonished by the pure DOMINANCE. 

With that being said LAVILLE is a very good football team. If anyone on here thinks that LAVILLE is being overlooked you are wrong. The coaching staff at CASS will have these boys ready. LEWIS CASS WILL NEVER VIEW A GAME AS A CUPCAKE.

The players know LAVILLE'S record and will not. I REPEAT WILL NOT LOOK PAST THIS TEAM. Looking forward to watching this game. BEST OF LUCK TO BOTH TEAMS

Any chance this game will be streamed or carried by IHSAA?

34 minutes ago, Punttheball said:

I don't think so.  It is sectional finals week for 6a and 5a.  2a will take a backseat for a while.

I was surprised at how many games were broadcast last week.  I know I was able to watch at least parts of 4 different 2A games online last Friday and there were probably another 2A game or two that was available that I didn't tune into.