Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

6A Seeded Tournament via Sagarin

11 minutes ago, BTF said:

I would like to see what it would look like if you seeded it by North and South. Although I do like some of the match-ups.

Warsaw vs Center Grove

Carroll vs Lawrence Central

Merrillville vs Pike

I can do that for 5A and 6A but the other classes I am just going to post the overall and not break it down that much.

4 minutes ago, BTF said:

I would like to see what it would look like if you seeded it by North and South. Although I do like some of the match-ups.

Warsaw vs Center Grove

Carroll vs Lawrence Central

Merrillville vs Pike

I think North/South is irrelevant in 6A.  Columbus is the farthest "south" team.  Columbus - Crown Point/Merrillville appears to be the farthest opponents, and that is still less than 3 hours according to Google Maps.  

And with most the schools concentrated around Indianapolis metro area - the north/south line is pretty fluid.  If Avon/Brownsburg/Warren are truly the top 3 teams (by Sagarin), seed them so that they can meet in the finals rather than semi-finals. 

22 minutes ago, oldtimeqb said:

I think North/South is irrelevant in 6A.  Columbus is the farthest "south" team.  Columbus - Crown Point/Merrillville appears to be the farthest opponents, and that is still less than 3 hours according to Google Maps.  

And with most the schools concentrated around Indianapolis metro area - the north/south line is pretty fluid.  If Avon/Brownsburg/Warren are truly the top 3 teams (by Sagarin), seed them so that they can meet in the finals rather than semi-finals. 

Valid point.

Bobref will love this but let's imagine the tournament took the top 16 teams only. Think about how big some of those matchups this week and next become. LN and Pike play next week for example and both could be on the bubble for a playoff spot. It would significantly ratchet up the excitement for that game. And Ben Davis-LC and Ben Davis-North Central would have big ramifications on seeding for all teams involved.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JustRules said:

Bobref will love this but let's imagine the tournament took the top 16 teams only. Think about how big some of those matchups this week and next become. LN and Pike play next week for example and both could be on the bubble for a playoff spot. It would significantly ratchet up the excitement for that game. And Ben Davis-LC and Ben Davis-North Central would have big ramifications on seeding for all teams involved.

No thanks, that leaves Carroll out. I don't mind the all-in format because there is no way to know 100% who the top 16 teams are. Seeding should be considered though. No point in the best teams playing in the first round....................and please don't give me the "we have to eventually play anyway" BS.............because that's exactly what it is. Seeding rewards good programs for a job well done in the regular season. 

6 minutes ago, BTF said:

No thanks, that leaves Carroll out. I don't mind the all-in format because there is no way to know 100% who the top 16 teams are. Seeding should be considered though. No point in the best teams playing in the first round....................and please don't give me the "we have to eventually play anyway" BS.............because that's exactly what it is. Seeding rewards good programs for a job well done in the regular season. 

Completely agree on seeding. I've worked enough sectional championship games that should have been exciting battles that were 42-7 because one team had an advantageous draw. If they get through an upset so be it.

26 minutes ago, JustRules said:

Completely agree on seeding. I've worked enough sectional championship games that should have been exciting battles that were 42-7 because one team had an advantageous draw. If they get through an upset so be it.

And how many showed up for that game? One thousand at most? Two 9-0 teams may have drawn 4000-9000. Big difference in revenue. The IHSAA is costing it's own schools thousands of dollars. Lol, seeding makes sense, it's not that hard to understand the benefits. 

10 minutes ago, BDGiant93 said:

Mike Kirschner, when he was at Ben Davis, said seed 'em 1-32 and play 'em. If you have to travel, so be it.

Whoa.  So the coach of the SECOND biggest school in the state who consistently plays a top five schedule in the state wished that sectionals were seeded?  You don't say?

I bet he wishes Chesterton or Portage would've had to travel 3 hours on a bus to get stomped by a school twice their size instead of drawing Avon, Pike, Brownsburg or Warren in the first round...🙄

Edited by Guest

2 minutes ago, Temptation said:

Whoa.  So the coach of the SECOND biggest school in the state who consistently plays a top five schedule in the state wished that sectionals were seeded?  You don't say?

I bet he wishes Chesterton or Portage would've had to travel 3 hours on a bus to get stomped by a school twice their size instead of drawing Avon, Pike, Brownsburg or Warren in the first round...🙄

I'm just telling you what he said..and judging from what he said on Twitter now that he's at Mt. Vernon, he still feels that way.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, BDGiant93 said:

I'm just telling you what he said..and judging from what he said on Twitter now that he's at Mt. Vernon, he still feels that way.

I like his thought process, especially now that he is at Mt. Vernon. But I think most coaches would probably disagree with him. Most schools will balk at the idea of traveling three hours right out of the gate. Now, seeding the sectionals the way they are? That's doable...........................and it makes sense. If it doesn't make sense, I'd love someone from the IHSAA board directors to come on here and explain to us why. 

1 hour ago, BDGiant93 said:

"But Kirschner said himself that this move was more about needing a change of pace than it was about moving up the coaching ladder. Coaching at Ben Davis is time-consuming job."

So the guy who changes positions and cites it being a "time-consuming job" is on board with 3+ hour bus rides across the state multiple times in October/November?

Mmmm, okay....

30 minutes ago, BTF said:

I like his thought process, especially now that he is at Mt. Vernon. But I think most coaches would probably disagree with him. Most schools will balk at the idea of traveling three hours right out of the gate. Now, seeding the sectionals the way they are? That's doable...........................and it makes sense. If it doesn't make sense, I'd love someone from the IHSAA board directors to come on here and explain to us why. 

I'm on board with this but there are flaws in Sagarin and if teams don't play head to head in the regular season, I am not sure how else to do it.  But I am all ears...

56 minutes ago, Temptation said:

"But Kirschner said himself that this move was more about needing a change of pace than it was about moving up the coaching ladder. Coaching at Ben Davis is time-consuming job."

So the guy who changes positions and cites it being a "time-consuming job" is on board with 3+ hour bus rides across the state multiple times in October/November?

Mmmm, okay....

I'm on board with this but there are flaws in Sagarin and if teams don't play head to head in the regular season, I am not sure how else to do it.  But I am all ears...

No doubt there are flaws with Sagarin. If it were to happen, the Sagarin would have to be used in conjunction with the AP Poll, Coaches Poll, and Gridiron Poll. Yes the Gridiron Poll. The IHSAA want's to pretend that this site doesn't even exist. But the reality is that it does exist and it's the largest of it's kind in the country. If the IHSAA wasn't so bullheaded, they'd come on here and take away some pretty good ideas. Unfortunately, it won't happen. The seeding won't happen. And if it does, it will be done their way. It won't have anything to do with the Sagarin because it wasn't their idea. The combination of the four would be my idea. 

Seeding the sectionals would do nothing to make the playoffs better. If the best 2 teams in a class are in the same sectional they would play in the sectional final when they should be playing in LOS. 

Seed the teams 1-64or 1-32 and if either team would have to travel a long distance have the game at a neutral site. 

Response from everyone-

That's a terrible idea

You are taking away home games

They will have to play eachother at some point just win the game

19 minutes ago, Warren05 said:

Seeding the sectionals would do nothing to make the playoffs better. If the best 2 teams in a class are in the same sectional they would play in the sectional final when they should be playing in LOS. 

Seed the teams 1-64or 1-32 and if either team would have to travel a long distance have the game at a neutral site. 

Response from everyone-

That's a terrible idea

You are taking away home games

They will have to play eachother at some point just win the game

How we seeding them? 

23 hours ago, Temptation said:

Mmmm, okay....

I'm quite sure I know Mike better than you.