Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Keyboard Coaches: What is your favorite offensive and defensive scheme?

I'll change the pace up here a little bit and just talk football. Not teams, not players, just football. My question up for discussion is, what is your favorite scheme?

I'll admit that I'm not much of a defensive guy. I could coach a position, but I probably wouldn't make the best defensive coordinator. Or at least, not the best coordinator the first season as one. What I do know and do enjoy is offense. I think I understand offensive scheming. I know what you run should always be to the strength of your personnel, but if I was going to be the man calling the offensive shots, I'd probably run the flexbone. Not necessarily a pure option scheme, but definitely would pride myself on run first(65-70% run to 30-35% pass ratio). I'd try to incorporate as much passing as I could if I had the players to execute it. Play action, yes, but mainly taking as many shots from a 3-5 step drop within 10-15 yards at the outside hashes as I could to spread a defense out that is putting 6-8 players in the box.

The reason I would run the Flexbone is the advantage it can put you at when you are disadvantaged. If I don't have the biggest players around, but if I have an smart, athletic line and skill position players, I think the schemes we could put in place will put up points on teams we have no business scoring on.

Now, if I'm wrong in my thinking, and you can educate me as to why, I'm open to it. I love a good discussion I learn something from.

2 hours ago, RedwoodCowTippers said:

I'll change the pace up here a little bit and just talk football. Not teams, not players, just football. My question up for discussion is, what is your favorite scheme?

I'll admit that I'm not much of a defensive guy. I could coach a position, but I probably wouldn't make the best defensive coordinator. Or at least, not the best coordinator the first season as one. What I do know and do enjoy is offense. I think I understand offensive scheming. I know what you run should always be to the strength of your personnel, but if I was going to be the man calling the offensive shots, I'd probably run the flexbone. Not necessarily a pure option scheme, but definitely would pride myself on run first(65-70% run to 30-35% pass ratio). I'd try to incorporate as much passing as I could if I had the players to execute it. Play action, yes, but mainly taking as many shots from a 3-5 step drop within 10-15 yards at the outside hashes as I could to spread a defense out that is putting 6-8 players in the box.

The reason I would run the Flexbone is the advantage it can put you at when you are disadvantaged. If I don't have the biggest players around, but if I have an smart, athletic line and skill position players, I think the schemes we could put in place will put up points on teams we have no business scoring on.

Now, if I'm wrong in my thinking, and you can educate me as to why, I'm open to it. I love a good discussion I learn something from.

Tanka is consulting with Coach Moore.  He'll get back to you soon. 

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, hick said:

Tanka is consulting with Coach Moore.  He'll get back to you soon. 

This is an incorrect assumption.

The wrc coach I would choose to consult with would be Herb King. Herb is a sly tactician with the skill and cunning of Loki.  

14 hours ago, FarmerFran said:

But have you heard about endzone cameras???

They have single handedly changed the game of football. Endzone cameras are probably the most important football invention since headphones.

• Like 2

Depends on personnel..get as many playmakers on the field as possible. Of everything is copacatic..l favor 4-3 D with a wing T or wishbone O for high school...I know spread offenses create havoc yet Indiana weather creates worry..also if defenses hold true.. option attacks don't work if the opponent has BFS athletes and vice versa ala WC circa 03-06.. ahh keyboard coaching!😉