Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Illinois Playoff Proposals

1 hour ago, DT said:

Illinois is not Texas.  We have much more brutal weather to deal with at that time of year.  I would not be at all surprised to schools with no numbers, or schools more focused on winter sports, take a pass on that meaningless final game, rather than risk injury or to the extra expense to play a meaningless game.  Just my two cents as 

I understand the difference in late fall weather between here & there. Spent the first 39 years of my life in northern Indiana. Late October can be pretty cold sometimes, but besides the occasional early storm, I would definitely not call the weather brutal.  Bad weather is football weather, that's what our coaches told us when we whined about crap weather. HTFU

Preparing for winter sports, for multi-sport athletes, I can understand. Especially if a particular school is much more competitive in b-ball/wrestling/etc than in football.

57 minutes ago, Gipper said:

I’d also have to like DT to meet him for a beer, but here’s the thing: I don’t...

I'm an acquired taste.   We would get along just fine.   

1 hour ago, Bonecrusher said:

I understand the difference in late fall weather between here & there. Spent the first 39 years of my life in northern Indiana. Late October can be pretty cold sometimes, but besides the occasional early storm, I would definitely not call the weather brutal.  Bad weather is football weather, that's what our coaches told us when we whined about crap weather. HTFU

Preparing for winter sports, for multi-sport athletes, I can understand. Especially if a particular school is much more competitive in b-ball/wrestling/etc than in football.

Spot on.  November weather is really not known for its brutality.  No coach or team worth its salt will purposefully take a dive.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DanteEstonia said:

For the purpose of student athletics, they are. Why should the football team have to qualify for playoffs when the basketball team does not?

I would like to point out that wrestling has seeded sectionals.  (Other sports do not).  Track and field, cross country, swimming, and wrestling all let athletes that lose in sectional, regional,etc advance in the playoffs.  Other sports do not.  Not all sports get treated the same, nor should they.

4 hours ago, Bobref said:

Perhaps because football and basketball are different? “One size fits all” simply means that, in most cases, the fit won’t be optimal. For example, when I was in HS, there was no football tournament, but there was certainly a basketball tournament. But as a football player, I didn’t feel cheated, or discriminated against. That’s just the way it was.

There wasn’t a 6A when I was in high school, but the IHSAA changed to meet a need. 

Nevada uses the same qualification metric across all sports, for all schools. It’s kind of like the cluster system, but applied to all sports. This way it’s fair for all players.

29 minutes ago, DanteEstonia said:

There wasn’t a 6A when I was in high school, but the IHSAA changed to meet a need. 

Nevada uses the same qualification metric across all sports, for all schools. It’s kind of like the cluster system, but applied to all sports. This way it’s fair for all players.

“Fair?” I guess I don’t understand what’s “unfair” about treating different sports differently.

1 hour ago, DanteEstonia said:

Do you believe all students should be treated fairly in school?

As a general proposition, sure. But we’ve already established that you and I have different notions of what “fair” is. So, saying someone should be treated “fairly” is, essentially, meaningless.

On 10/12/2019 at 1:04 AM, DanteEstonia said:

Why should football have a different playoff metric than all of the other sports?

Reallly not a sound argument. Wrestling has a different metric. Track is seeded according to speeds. We do have precedent for different systems in Indiana.

Ok, I am a Hoosier who relocated to Illinois 15 yrs ago. Now I am stuck here! Lol

I don't have a ton of knowledge yet on HS sports here, mainly football, but my son will be entering HS next year, and it has made me start paying attention the last few seasons.  

First off, the Illinois season starts one week later than Indiana. So any changes to the playoff format, would likely simply be addressed by moving the start of the season up one week.  

The new proposed plan has many parents scratching their heads here, as most fans truly don't understand the idea of more teams making the playoffs (God forbid they all make it).  The high number of High Schools in Illinois is balanced out with 8 classes of roughly 32 playoff teams in each class.  So basically cut out one round of Sectionals (which here is Regionals the. Sectionals). 

The ultimate goal is to cut down the amount of travel in the first two or three rounds of playoffs.  I personally believe they all end of pre-assigning Districts of 8 teams, and the top 4 in each will make playoffs.  I do NOT think they will ultimately end up having a set deal where those 8 teams will be required to play during the regular season.  

Lastly, some asked why football playoffs should be set different than any other sport.  The answer is simple.  You can play 4-5 heck even 6 basketball, soccer, baseball, etc games a week. 3-4 wrestling meets with a wrestler having 10+ matches in a week.  But playing more than one football game a week is too much to ask a HS kid.  My kid plays 8th grade football and is starting on both Defense and offensive lines.  Even at that age, he takes at least two days to recover and ice the bruises.  We have all either seen or felt that exact thing.  

26 minutes ago, Football50dad said:

Ok, I am a Hoosier who relocated to Illinois 15 yrs ago. Now I am stuck here! Lol

I don't have a ton of knowledge yet on HS sports here, mainly football, but my son will be entering HS next year, and it has made me start paying attention the last few seasons.  

First off, the Illinois season starts one week later than Indiana. So any changes to the playoff format, would likely simply be addressed by moving the start of the season up one week.  

The new proposed plan has many parents scratching their heads here, as most fans truly don't understand the idea of more teams making the playoffs (God forbid they all make it).  The high number of High Schools in Illinois is balanced out with 8 classes of roughly 32 playoff teams in each class.  So basically cut out one round of Sectionals (which here is Regionals the. Sectionals). 

The ultimate goal is to cut down the amount of travel in the first two or three rounds of playoffs.  I personally believe they all end of pre-assigning Districts of 8 teams, and the top 4 in each will make playoffs.  I do NOT think they will ultimately end up having a set deal where those 8 teams will be required to play during the regular season.  

Lastly, some asked why football playoffs should be set different than any other sport.  The answer is simple.  You can play 4-5 heck even 6 basketball, soccer, baseball, etc games a week. 3-4 wrestling meets with a wrestler having 10+ matches in a week.  But playing more than one football game a week is too much to ask a HS kid.  My kid plays 8th grade football and is starting on both Defense and offensive lines.  Even at that age, he takes at least two days to recover and ice the bruises.  We have all either seen or felt that exact thing.  

Sorry, brother.  I was a prisoner for 15 years, but made it out.  Whereabouts are you?

Edited by Gipper

On 10/13/2019 at 6:28 PM, Gipper said:

Sorry, brother.  I was a prisoner for 15 years, but made it out.  Whereabouts are you?

Morris, IL. About 20 mins SW of Joliet.  Nice town with a decent football tradition at the HS.  I honestly don't think I will ever move from Morris.  

What about you?

7 hours ago, Football50dad said:

Morris, IL. About 20 mins SW of Joliet.  Nice town with a decent football tradition at the HS.  I honestly don't think I will ever move from Morris.  

What about you?

I’m in Lowell, which isn’t that far away from you.  They also enjoy a great football tradition.  I’ll probably be a lifer here, too.

The PAC is hoping Mt Carmel doesn’t want back in at this point if this all changes.  

the small schools got GS and HH off their schedules unless they wanted to keep a rivalry game.

GS absolutely loaded up their schedule adding Columbus North and Kentucky 5A owensboro senior.  I made a post earlier this year running the numbers. In 2020 GSs opponents will go from an average of 600 students to nearly 1200 students per school. 

im not sure what HH has scheduled yet but I’m sure they are making the most of this opportunity