Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Providence Pioneers @ Linton Miners

Week 9 is upon us.  Hard to believe the tournament starts in one more week!  The Sagarin ratings (this morning) have the Miners at 7th in 2A and the Pioneers at 30th.  It would seem this game should go the Miners way, but Providence always seems to play the Miners tough.  I believe it is Senior night at Linton also.  How will those players react?  Will they play "sad" because it's their last game or will they want to go out in a blaze of glory for the Red and Blue?   I think the Miners win, but it won't be as easy as some people might think.  There are still too many mental errors bring committed by the Miners and this late in the season, that isn't a good thing.  I've lost count on how many long plays have been called back for blocks in the back.  Back to back neutral zone infractions?  C'mon Man!

Mater Dei and Linton should meet in the second round.  It looks as though the game will be at Evansville.  Linton hosts North Posey in round one and Mater Dei goes on the road to Crawford County.  Linton will need to play a near perfect game to win on the road.  No mental errors, no turnovers, and very, very few penalties if they want to win.

43 minutes ago, itiswhatitis said:

Mater Dei and Linton should meet in the second round.  It looks as though the game will be at Evansville.  Linton hosts North Posey in round one and Mater Dei goes on the road to Crawford County.  Linton will need to play a near perfect game to win on the road.  No mental errors, no turnovers, and very, very few penalties if they want to win.

I hope I'm wrong, but I think Mater Dei is a bad match up for Linton.  Would love to see Linton win the sectional.  North Posey does not pose a problem.

28 minutes ago, Reb08 said:

I hope I'm wrong, but I think Mater Dei is a bad match up for Linton.  Would love to see Linton win the sectional.  North Posey does not pose a problem.

Could you expand on why you feel that way?  Not saying your wrong. Mater Dei is obviously one the 2A favorites, but Linton isn't too bad either. 

Admittedly, I know nothing about MD this season other than they've been very competitive in a conference full of bigger schools.  I would expect them to be fundamentally sound, probably not prone to beating themselves.  Undoubtedly with their schedule, they've played a team or two better than Linton. 

My biggest concern is an opponent with a strong passing game and excellent run D. I see they've only allowed more than 14 points once.  That's very impressive against their schedule! 

Our pass D has been our soft spot, and while Goodman's had an excellent season throwing the ball I'm not sure how well we'd do if the run was shut down and we had to be a pass first team.  Of course none that matters if we don't clean up some mistakes that keep lingering.

Edited by hick

Mater Dei's SOS is the second toughest in all of 2A.  Only Ft. Wayne Luers plays a tougher schedule.  Mater Dei plays only one 2A school on their schedule.  They play two 3A schools, four 4A schools, and two 5A schools and one of the 5A schools they beat easily.  They lost only 13 - 0 to the other 5A school (Caste). Their last game they beat 6th ranked 4A Evansville North 10 - 7 and that was on the road.  Make no mistake about it, Sectional 40 is Mater Dei's to lose.  The Miners have had a great year, but unless they play a near perfect game, their season ends in Evansville.  I hope they prove me wrong and I have to eat crow!

22 minutes ago, lp3coda said:

Does anyone agree EMD will be the toughest defense Linton has seen?  Assuming Linton makes it through the 1st round. 

Yes. It's not even close.  They've held everyone below their average, held many to their season low, and allowed >14 only once.  

Mater Dei is 2nd in the SIAC conference in points allowed and 1st in points scored.  That includes games against 4A's #6 & #7 teams. Per Sagarin, MD's played 5 teams ranked 125 or better; 3 of those in the top 80.  They finish the regular season vs Reitz (#129). 

25 minutes ago, lp3coda said:

Does anyone agree EMD will be the toughest defense Linton has seen?  Assuming Linton makes it through the 1st round. 

The Miners will make it through the first round.  Southridge's defense was pretty tough, but I'd have to guess that Mater Dei's is probably better.  Holding North to only 7 points is very formidable.  

I just wanted to apologise and say I meant no disrespect to Providence (especially that's what this thread is about) or to North Posey.  I'm guilty to a fault of looking ahead, just my nature. 

If, and when, the day comes for a Linton vs MD I'm sure we'll all have plenty to talk about :). 

Good luck and good health to both teams this Friday.

We need to end this regular season on a high note.  Need to eliminate the penalties and the ball being on the ground.   We need a solid game from beginning to end.   Providence is 3-5 I realize...but they've played some big time teams down there.  THey did lose a lot from the last couple years... they ran all over us early on last year, and we played  pretty even from then... too little too late. I hope the kids remember that...   

12 hours ago, itiswhatitis said:

Mater Dei's SOS is the second toughest in all of 2A.  Only Ft. Wayne Luers plays a tougher schedule.  Mater Dei plays only one 2A school on their schedule.  They play two 3A schools, four 4A schools, and two 5A schools and one of the 5A schools they beat easily.  They lost only 13 - 0 to the other 5A school (Caste). Their last game they beat 6th ranked 4A Evansville North 10 - 7 and that was on the road.  Make no mistake about it, Sectional 40 is Mater Dei's to lose.  The Miners have had a great year, but unless they play a near perfect game, their season ends in Evansville.  I hope they prove me wrong and I have to eat crow!

Evansville Central...not north right?

You also have to remember t

On ‎10‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 8:51 PM, hick said:

Admittedly, I know nothing about MD this season other than they've been very competitive in a conference full of bigger schools.  I would expect them to be fundamentally sound, probably not prone to beating themselves.  Undoubtedly with their schedule, they've played a team or two better than Linton. 

Probably more than just 1-2 teams on MD's schedule who are better than what Linton has played.  The only teams on MD's schedule I would categorize as not competitive are Whiting and Ev. Harrison.  MD just ended a 5 game SIAC stretch with Memorial, Ev. North, Castle, Ev. Bosse and Ev. Central.  To come out of that with 3 Ws is very impressive.  If you haven't seen Central, then I think it would be hard to really understand how impressive it was for MD to hold them to 7 points and pull out the W on a last second FG.  MD is tough, will not beat themselves and they are much better this year than last year.  It will take a heck of a team to beat them in 2A South.         

1 hour ago, tango said:

You also have to remember t

Probably more than just 1-2 teams on MD's schedule who are better than what Linton has played.  The only teams on MD's schedule I would categorize as not competitive are Whiting and Ev. Harrison.  MD just ended a 5 game SIAC stretch with Memorial, Ev. North, Castle, Ev. Bosse and Ev. Central.  To come out of that with 3 Ws is very impressive.  If you haven't seen Central, then I think it would be hard to really understand how impressive it was for MD to hold them to 7 points and pull out the W on a last second FG.  MD is tough, will not beat themselves and they are much better this year than last year.  It will take a heck of a team to beat them in 2A South.         

As I posted before, MD only plays one 2A team on their schedule.  Everyone else is 3A - 5A.  I haven't seen Central but I do know they were ranked #6 in class 4A.  You don't get ranked in the top ten by just showing up every week.  It was a Very impressive win for MD to say the least.  And I've also posted that Linton will have to play a near perfect game to have a chance at winning against MD.  I still believe the winner of 40 will make it to semi-state if not state.

2 hours ago, MinerPower said:

It is game day, time to get this thread going!

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for this thread to get going.  It's been dead on here for most of the game topics this year.  Several posters who used to talk haven't been on this year and those who are still on here haven't said much, if anything at all.  Considering the Miners have had a really good year, it's been kind of a bummer.   We used to get over 100 posts or more on most Miner game topics.  These days it's mostly crickets.

1 hour ago, gahoosierfan said:

This is slightly off topic, but I wonder why Providence isn't in either the Mid Southern or Patoka Lake conferences?

I keep waiting for Silver Creek to join Hoosier Hills. Seems like a better fit

Providence comes in 3-5 after a 9-3 season in 2018, and losing 14 seniors, and another 3 juniors from the team that jumped all over the MIners 28-0 with still 9:45 in the 2nd quarter. It literally was like we didn't get off the bus. We lost 35-14 and genuinely play them pretty well from that 9:45 mark on. The Pioneers only return 2 offensive starters and just 3 on the defensive side. Gone are 2 year QB Joe Denis, and RB's Kevin Smith and Kaden WIlliams. Williams blasted Linton for 222 rush yards and 3 scores, and added another in the air. Gone as well on the D side is safety McCubbins who had a combined 41 tackles in the 2 meetings with us, but also LB Hoke who had 31.

Providence has faced some very good teams. They beat a strong Bethlehem team from Kentucky 29-20 to start the year, they were outmatched against 5A 6-2 Floyd Central 28-7 and 4A 7-1 Silver Creek 27-0.They rebounded with a 35-8 win over rival 2A 2-6 Clarksville HOwever they have dropped 3 of last 4, but again against good quality opponents. Those losses were not blowouts either: 13-7 to 6-2 3A Charlestown, 29-15 to Holy Cross in Kentucky, and last week 20-0 to 1A 6-2 Milan. They did put a 21-6 win over 4-4 2a Mitchell. They average just 14.3 ppg giving up 18.9. SAG ratings have Linton a winner by 23.7. Linton's SAT of 61.13 is 7th in 2A, Providence is 31st with a 35.44. The Pioneers have the higher ranked strength of schedule at 43.31 to Linton's 42.02, 11th and 14th in 2A. WHile the Miners lost last year, they won 40-34 in 2017 in a game Linton dominated for 3 quarters to nearly lose in the waining minutes.

INjuries have played a role in the Pioneeer's 2019 campaign. Starting WB and LB Jeremy Gettelfinger was a starter as a soph against Linton, and hasn't suited up at least for a couple weeks, and isn't listed as a starter this week. QB Bishop Edwards has missed games as well.
#4 Edwards (Sr, 6'2 190) was back in action against MIlan last week. He is a running QB for sure, and 2nd (292) for the Pioneer rushing attack. Leading that ground game is #28 Colin Flake (Sr, 5'11 165) (I have him with 613 yards and 7 TDs... but I have only 7 of 8 games worth of info). They list #8 Andrew Henderson (12, 5;10 175) as the fullback, who also is at QB when Edwards is out. WB is #6 Chase Aldridge (Sr, 5'7 160) who led Providence in rushing last week, but neither he nor Henderson have contributed much to the rushing attack. As opposed to Denis at QB the last couple years, Edwards and Providence are not a passing team. I have Edwards at just 8-22 for 147 yards, 1 TD 1 score. Flake has 5 of those catches and the TD, SE #3 Carson Heldman (Jr, 5'8 150) has 1 catch, the TE, transplanted lineman #5 Alec Fougerousse (Sr 6'0 1850 had 2 for just 4 yards.

The Oline returns 2 starters. Guard #78 Ryley Gunther (Jr 6'3 270), and Tackle #67 Brayton Gettelfinder (Sr 5'11 260). Center is #51 David Wall (Jr 6'3 180), and the other Tackle #74 Donte Davis (Sr 6'0 270) and Guard #65 Hazen Conner (Sr 5'6 185) , Providence will run a tight package, overloading one side of the line with the SE and WB, and try to overpower the D. I've also seen a bunch of direct snaps to Flake, who stands next to the QB in the set. Last week vs Milan they had a bunch of snap issues...over head, too low.... something like 50+ in negative yards, and one resulting in a scoop and score. Perhaps the weather played a big role in that result.

Defense brings back 3 starters from our game last year. Fougerousse at ILB, Flake at OLB and Aldridge at CB. Edwards, the QB, is the leading tackler at ILB. Fougerousse is the 2nd. #9 Austin Barnett (Sr 6'1 185) is the other OLB. Gunther mans one tackle, with #76 Nathan Ross (Soph, 6'0 245) at the other. DE's are #68 Vincent Benningfield (Sr. 6'2 185) and #52 Henry Jones (Sr , 6'5 200). Rounding out the secondary is #7 Jaxon Murphy (Jr, 5'7 150) and Henderson and safety. Teams haven't really pased much against the Pioneers that I can see. Floyd Central ran for 325, Charlestown for 244.. but again I don't have much info to go on. They do have size...as we can see, but we are almost always the smaller of the two teams on the field.

Providence can't be taken lightly. It they can win the battle in the trenches and get success running it will bode well for them. Flake has good speed, and have have game of 137 (Floyd Cent) 128 (Charles) and 173 against Mitchell. Edwards has two 90+ efforts. Losing Gettelfinger at WB hurt, and he had 106 in opening week, and 40+ in each of the next three weeks. I see alot of Seniors (12), but it's like Linton was a couple years back... not a lot who had seen any real varsity time.

As for Linton. The coache changed up things on the Oline last week moving in #77 Soph Dalton Carpenter (5'10 215) at center. Pushing #79 Tyler Mongeau (Sr, 6'1 205) over to Guard and thus #55 Vedder Rogers (Jr 6'1 225) over to Tackle. The right side remained guard #69 Damian Giles (Jr 6'0 225) and Tackle #57 Landon Giles (Jr 6'0 210). #51 Dalton Smith (Sr 5'10 205) still saw action on the OL as well.

#5 Lance Dyer (Se 5'10 175) leads rushing with 757 on 45 carris and 7 TDs, #8 Luke Lannan (Sr 5'10 185) is right behind with 652 on 96 with 7 TDs. QB #15 Trey Goodman (Jr 6'1 170) has 317 rush yards, 8 TDs, while #43 Cash Howard (Sr5'10 175) adds 232 and 5 scores. Goodman is 64 of 118 for 985 passing with 12 TDs and 3 picks. #18 Devyn Robertson (Sr, 6'2 165) has 26 of those catches, 4 TDs for 415 yards, #28 Clayton Hauser (Sr 6'1 170) has 14 for 143-1. Dyer has 12 for 156-2, Howard 8-197-3, with TE #35 Avery Puckett (Se 6'2 175) 2 for 25 and a score.

Defensively Lannan leads with 70 tackles, 11 for loss, 3.5 sacks, 2 interceptions and a fumble recovery. #2 Gabe Eslinger (Soph, 6'0 180) is right behind with 69, 9 for loss, 1.5 sacks, and 1 each of INT and FR. Howard at Safety comes in with 50 and 2 picks. L.Dyer adds 34 from OLB, his brother Trevor (Sr #11, 5'10 165) with 25. Up front you will see a variety of players. Mongeau and Smith at DE, Rogers at DT or NT, #64 Hunter boldrey (Se 6'0 255), #70 Aiden Keen (Sr 6'1 and #58 Donovan DeBruhl (Soph 5'11 235) among other DT.s Even #26 Braden Jackson (Sr 5'7 170) at NT. The DBs have been Howard at safety with #23 Gavin House (Jr 5'7 160) and Robertson at Corners... possibly #7 Kauling Padgett (Soph 5'8 165) as well.