Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Songs That Speak Redux

foxbat

21 hours ago, foxbat said:

Another of the topics that has proven popular in this forum over the years ... revived again.

How did you get the video to embed? Just pasting a link for the video webpage when creating a post did not work like it used to on here. Got the link, no video.

1 hour ago, gonzoron said:

How did you get the video to embed? Just pasting a link for the video webpage when creating a post did not work like it used to on here. Got the link, no video.

Use the copy link in YouTube.  When you paste the link in the GID thread, tell it to post the link as plain text.  It will take out the underlining at first and then all of a sudden you will see the link text replaced with the video show up in the post.  Add any other text that you want at that point ... if any ... and then click on the Submit Reply button.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, gonzoron said:

Haven't seen @foxbat for awhile round these parts, but I know he's a huge Rush fan. This should be awesome if it's at a Theater near you.

@gonzoron Appreciate the heads up on this!  I hadn't seen it, but it looks like a nice event to attend.  I may have to cut practice early this day and head down to Indy to find a theater where it's playing.  Rush officially announced their retirement late last year, so there's been a growing depression amongst fanatics.  Perhaps this will be a worthy temporary fix.

I've been hanging around, but overseas right now and working through my mom having a heart attack recently as well as the death of my wife's much younger brother earlier this year.  Reality has consumed much more of life and been more engaging recently.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Adam's song by Blink 182... Had it came out in 2002 and I let my depression get the best of me. You could have named it Kreigh's song. 

I can't really listen to it anymore cause I could totally relate to "Adam" and sometimes still can. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sometimes even instrumentals speak ... I also provided a "making of" video that explains the backstory and the philosophy behind the song.

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

Passing of a phenomenal drummer, a genius lyricist, and all-around thinker ... Rush's Neil Peart passed on earlier in the week after fighting brain cancer.  As a young kid growing up in the 70s, I fell in love with his philosophical lyrics that proved that music could be both for the mind and the heart and the story-telling that became Rush's moniker.  He was a technician and a magician ... a thinker and a creator ... a "philosopher and a plowman" ... "a blacksmith and an artist."  It was only fitting that the very first song that I learned to play on the bass guitar was Temples of Syrinx from Rush's magnum opus, 2112.  That song unlocked my interest in the bass and also in the study of lyrics ... and Rush, especially Peart, provided a rich feeding ground for how literature could move music.  A lot of my bass repertoire contains Rush classics ... and so does my written library.  Plenty of introspection this week with the realization that "we are only immortal for a limited time."  RIP Professor.

NPR article on remember Peart: https://www.npr.org/2020/01/11/795555335/remembering-neil-peart-a-monster-drummer-with-a-poets-heart

Peart At Work in A Drum Solo In Frankfurt, Germany

A chance to check out his melodic musings on La Villa Strangiato:

Peart capping off Letterman's Drum Solo Week ...

And, of course, a throwback post that looks at the musings of YYZ, inspired by the airport landing signal for Toronto's airport:

• Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...

Saw these guys in Houston back in '83.  The message still continues to resonate.

Every moment of your lifetime
Every minute every day
Fight the good fight every moment
Make it worth the price we pay

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, foxbat said:

Saw these guys in Houston back in '83.  The message still continues to resonate.

Every moment of your lifetime
Every minute every day
Fight the good fight every moment
Make it worth the price we pay

Johnny Winter was the opening act.

Johnny Winter ticket stub.jpg

Edited by gonzoron
  • Like 2