Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Where's the Talent? - Ben Davis/WarrenCentral/Center Grove

Guest DT

14 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

I had an opportunity to visit the Carmel High School "Freshman Center" this past weekend.  What a monument to government spending and excess.  I'm sure the overtaxed residents of Carmel/Clay township are proud of their boondoggle.     Did you know at the "Freshman Center" cafeteria you can purchase sushi for lunch?

You know it's always a shock when Carmel is listed annually as one of the top 10 places in America to live/raise a family. It's almost as if the residents prefer this kind of stuff and why Carmel forever was one of the fastest growing communities in the country. Things to ponder on a Monday.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

I had an opportunity to visit the Carmel High School "Freshman Center" this past weekend.  What a monument to government spending and excess.  I'm sure the overtaxed residents of Carmel/Clay township are proud of their boondoggle.     Did you know at the "Freshman Center" cafeteria you can purchase sushi for lunch?

Did you get the sushi? Was it any good? What if someone doesn’t like Sushi, what were the other choices? 

1 hour ago, Muda69 said:

Overtaxed huh?

Did you know that we pay less in taxes than those folks down in Marion County?  Say what you will about Carmel, but us Hamilton County folks are very fortunate with our taxes.

14 minutes ago, HoosierFB_JG said:

Overtaxed huh?

Did you know that we pay less in taxes than those folks down in Marion County?  Say what you will about Carmel, but us Hamilton County folks are very fortunate with our taxes.

Care to share your most recent yearly property tax bill?

2 hours ago, Muda69 said:

Did you know at the "Freshman Center" cafeteria you can purchase sushi for lunch?

Only 6% of students at the high school are eligible for free/reduce lunch. If I'm not mistaken that's tied for the lowest in the state with Zionsville. So why do you care what their parents are buying them for lunch? 

3 minutes ago, vicvinegar said:

Only 6% of students at the high school are eligible for free/reduce lunch. If I'm not mistaken that's tied for the lowest in the state with Zionsville. So why do you care what their parents are buying them for lunch? 

Where did I say that I cared?  Only an observation, that's all.  Sushi at a government high school cafeteria is not the norm for the state of Indiana,  wouldn't you agree?

4 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

Where did I say that I cared?  Only an observation, that's all.  Sushi at a government high school cafeteria is not the norm for the state of Indiana,  wouldn't you agree?

Fair enough. I would just say that's part of Carmel. I know the Kroger's where I live doesn't have a sushi bar... they do in Carmel. 

Edited by vicvinegar

6 minutes ago, Staxawax said:

I don't live in Carmel.  Haven't for 45 years.  But I do know the tax rate is pretty reasonable. When you spread those bonds out 50 years you can do that!

Guess it depends on your perspective.  My last property tax bill was for approx. $900.  For the entire year.

58 minutes ago, vicvinegar said:

Fair enough. I would just say that's part of Carmel. I know the Kroger's where I live doesn't have a sushi bar... they do in Carmel. 

Almost every Kroger where I live has sushi..for a high school to offer it is phenomenal n extremely rare..if i could send my kid to a school that offered it i probably would.. heck..i was happy for pizza day back in my day..

3 minutes ago, Justasportsfan said:

Almost every Kroger where I live has sushi..for a high school to offer it is phenomenal n extremely rare..if i could send my kid to a school that offered it i probably would.. heck..i was happy for pizza day back in my day..

A sushi bar where you sit down and sushi comes by on a belt? I love it... but I have to drive to Carmel for that. 

1 hour ago, Muda69 said:

Guess it depends on your perspective.  My last property tax bill was for approx. $900.  For the entire year.

I would be happy to show you, but it’s also public knowledge.  You can go right into TurboTax.  I was interested one year and changed my residence from Hamilton to Marion and it shot up.

4 hours ago, Staxawax said:

I don't live in Carmel.  Haven't for 45 years.  But I do know the tax rate is pretty reasonable. When you spread those bonds out 50 years you can do that!

When the assessed value of the average house is as high as it is in Carmel you can get away with a lower rate.

8 minutes ago, BDGiant93 said:

Since the student lunch program must be self-sustaining, no tax dollars were harmed in the making of that sushi.

Self-sustaining?  I thought USDA pours billions into school lunches across the country every year?   Are you saying Carmel Clay schools choose not to participate in this program?

16 hours ago, HoosierFB_JG said:

I would be happy to show you, but it’s also public knowledge.  You can go right into TurboTax.  I was interested one year and changed my residence from Hamilton to Marion and it shot up.

I don't use Turbo Tax.

7 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

Self-sustaining?  I thought USDA pours billions into school lunches across the country every year?   Are you saying Carmel Clay schools choose not to participate in this program?

https://www.ccs.k12.in.us/services/food-service

"The food service program is operated under the federally funded National School Lunch Act and Child Nutrition Act. The federal laws regulating the food service programs are administered by the United States Department of Agriculture through the regional office and implemented by the Indiana Department of Education. The Food and Nutrition Services program is financially self-supporting."

7 minutes ago, gonzoron said:

https://www.ccs.k12.in.us/services/food-service

"The food service program is operated under the federally funded National School Lunch Act and Child Nutrition Act. The federal laws regulating the food service programs are administered by the United States Department of Agriculture through the regional office and implemented by the Indiana Department of Education. The Food and Nutrition Services program is financially self-supporting."

https://www.fns.usda.gov/nslp/nslp-fact-sheet

The program was established under the Richard B. Russell National School Lunch Act, signed into law by President Harry Truman in 1946.

About 7.1 million children participated in the NSLP in its first year. Since then, the program has reached millions of children nationwide: 1970: 22.4 million children; 1980: 26.6 million children; 1990: 21.1 million children; 2000: 27.3 million children; 2010: 31.8 million children; and 2016: 30.4 million children.

https://www.ers.usda.gov/topics/food-nutrition-assistance/child-nutrition-programs/national-school-lunch-program/

The NSLP provided low-cost or free lunches to 29.7 million children daily at a cost of $13.8 billion.

https://youth.gov/feature-article/learn-facts-national-school-lunch-program-and-alternative-schools

School food authorities that choose to participate in the NSLP get cash reimbursements for the meals they serve as well as available food products from the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA). In return, they must serve lunches that meet the Federal requirements, and they must offer free or reduced price meals to all eligible children.

A shell game.

45 minutes ago, gonzoron said:

Where's the link that shows the amount Carmel-Clay schools receive?

Generated the attached pdf document from here:  https://www.doe.in.gov/finance/school-financial-reports

It shows that from 7/1/2017 to 6/30/2018 the Carmel Clay School Lunch Fund received $129,933.37 from state sources and $1,418,154.62 from federal sources,  aka taxpayers.   In fact if you look at the total of receipt accounts,  $8,268,854.48 versus the total of expenditure accounts,  $7,704,623.56 The Carmel Clay Food & Nutrition Services Department needed those taxpayer dollars to stay solvent.   Not exactly 'financially self-supporting' as their web page describes.

DescriptiveListingByFundAndAccount.pdf

3 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

Generated the attached pdf document from here:  https://www.doe.in.gov/finance/school-financial-reports

It shows that from 7/1/2017 to 6/30/2018 the Carmel Clay School Lunch Fund received $129,933.37 from state sources and $1,418,154.62 from federal sources,  aka taxpayers.   In fact if you look at the total of receipt accounts,  $8,268,854.48 versus the total of expenditure accounts,  $7,704,623.56 The Carmel Clay Food & Nutrition Services Department needed those taxpayer dollars to stay solvent.   Not exactly 'financially self-supporting' as their web page describes.

DescriptiveListingByFundAndAccount.pdf 256.63 kB · 1 download

Where’s the Talent?

• Like 1