Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Markese Stepp vs. Notre Dame

IndianaWrestlingGuy1

Hopefully many of you got to see Cathedral’s Markese Stepp have a career day for USC against Notre Dame in South Bend last night. Wow. Defining play where he literally drug 6 Irish defenders 10 yards after contact was one of the better runs in the NCAA this season. 8.2 YPC on 82 yards rushing and a TD. Congrats, Markese. 

Made Indiana proud last night. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IndianaWrestlingGuy1 said:

Hopefully many of you got to see Cathedral’s Markese Stepp have a career day for USC against Notre Dame in South Bend last night. Wow. Defining play where he literally drug 6 Irish defenders 10 yards after contact was one of the better runs in the NCAA this season. 8.2 YPC on 82 yards rushing and a TD. Congrats, Markese. 

Made Indiana proud? Just curious, why did he ditch the Irish for their most heated rival?

2 hours ago, IndianaWrestlingGuy1 said:

Please post some video

1 hour ago, BTF said:

Made Indiana proud? Just curious, why did he ditch the Irish for their most heated rival?

But yes, playing prime time with Tirico and Flutie gushingly loving on Indianapolis and Cathedral on national television. We’ll take it. Was his time at Cathedral tenuous? Fairly. Will we claim him on the national stage? Absolutely. 

• Like 1

I have zero knowledge of the matter, but I would say to give ND the middle finger for taking his commitment for 2 years and then not getting the job done with admittance. No clue on grades, but he’s not an idiot. Maybe they loved a new shiny RB?  Either way, ND had him committed. They didn’t get the job done. 

18 minutes ago, IndianaWrestlingGuy1 said:

I have zero knowledge of the matter, but I would say to give ND the middle finger for taking his commitment for 2 years and then not getting the job done with admittance. No clue on grades, but he’s not an idiot. Maybe they loved a new shiny RB?  Either way, ND had him committed. They didn’t get the job done. 

Not judging the kid at all here, and I am glad things have worked out for him. But based on your post, it sounds like it was on Stepp to get the job done; maybe even more so than ND's. 

Markese is a very smart young man but evidently not smart enough for Notre Dame.  It was not his choice to forgo his commitment to the Irish.  Everything has ended up well and Markese should have a very successful career at USC.  He was awesome last night for sure.  I sure hope he stays healthy during his college career.

1 hour ago, IndianaWrestlingGuy1 said:

Notre Dame has a higher academic standard for their athletes than most. Kudos to them. Not sure you can give them the middle finger for that reason. 

1 hour ago, Irishman said:

Not judging the kid at all here, and I am glad things have worked out for him. But based on your post, it sounds like it was on Stepp to get the job done; maybe even more so than ND's. 

Agree

7 minutes ago, PHJIrish said:

Markese is a very smart young man but evidently not smart enough for Notre Dame.  It was not his choice to forgo his commitment to the Irish.  Everything has ended up well and Markese should have a very successful career at USC.  He was awesome last night for sure.  I sure hope he stays healthy during his college career.

Agree, good luck to him. I just wasn't sure why he was at USC instead of ND. Makes sense now. 

• Like 1

If you have "zero knowledge" of the circumstances, then why be judgmental about it? Unlike most places, there is no connection at ND between the athletic department and the admissions office. You commit to ND, that does not guarantee admission. You've still got to satisfy the admissions committee, regardless of how the athletic department feels about you.

Edited by Bobref

2 hours ago, IndianaWrestlingGuy1 said:

If you have "zero knowledge" of the circumstances, then why be judgmental about it? Unlike most places, there is no connection at ND between the athletic department and the admissions office. You commit to ND, that does not guarantee admission. You've still got to satisfy the admissions committee, regardless of how the athletic department feels about you.

12 hours ago, Bobref said:

Ok Bob. I have .000001 percent knowledge. Gripping the bat a little tight, aren’t you? 

Edited by IndianaWrestlingGuy1

2 minutes ago, itiswhatitis said:

Didn't they use to play closer to the end of the season?  Was there a schedule change for some reason?

Always October at ND (even though this one was a little earlier than usual) and November at SC. 

• Thanks 1

On 10/15/2019 at 2:15 PM, TrojanDad said:

Its not like USC is a school that lets anyone in.  If you review their admission rates compared to ND's, one might find that are pretty similar.

That being said, I don't know their admission philosophies when it comes to athletes.....I don't buy either school requires the same standard for football players to be granted admission to the school as they would the non-athlete.

https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-college-admissions-scheme-stories-storygallery.html

1 hour ago, TrojanDad said:

What I don’t buy is that a 5 star ND football player is held to the same admission standards as the common student. 

I agree with that as well, but I would also say there are standards that do need to be met that were not. My educated guess would be that Kelly thought it was worth the risk to take knowing it would go down to the wire for him to do all that was needed. 

13 minutes ago, TrojanDad said:

I'm not questioning at all that requirements weren't met.  I truly don't know, but guess what you are stating is spot on.  I am not sure where ND draws the line for its big time athletes.  Maybe not far off from the typical admitted non-athlete student.  Just don't buy they are one and the same.

Either way, football seems to be going well for the young man.

The admissions process at ND, like most places, is multi-factorial. So, there is no absolute “standard” against which applicants are measured, be they athletes or not. Each application is an individual decision. I can say 2 things, however, with confidence.

1.  Notre Dame has higher eligibility standards than the NCAA. The latter requires students to maintain a 1.8/4.0 GPA, while ND requires a 2.0.  And a 2.0 at ND is no laughing matter, since athletes do not have a P.E. major where they can take courses like recreational camping, or dodgeball 101. As a consequence, the admissions philosophy is that they won’t admit a student athlete who the admissions committee does not believe will achieve that.

2.  The last assessment I saw on the subject said basically that if you took the top 100 recruits in a given year, ND would not even bother talking to 50 of them, because there would be no hope that they could withstand the scrutiny of the admissions process.

Where Mr. Stepp falls in all this is unknown, at least, to me.

As a postscript to my earlier observation, I believe there are only 3 other Power 5 schools that have admission requirements comparable to ND: Stanford, Duke, and Georgia Tech. That 2 of the 3 are in the ACC was a significant factor in ND’s decision to “affiliate” with that conference. Now, if we could only convince Clemson to elevate their standards .... 😆