Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Center Grove vs. Cathedral @Tech

Cathedral overcame 143 yards in accepted penalties to win 14-9.  The Irish are not an undisciplined football team, and this was by far the most penalty yards they have accrued this season.  Probably another 50 yards or so were declined by Center Grove.  There may have been more personal fouls called in this game, most all on the Irish, than most basketball games.

The game is now being shown on a delayed basis on WHMB, channel 40, in Indianapolis.  I would advise anyone who wears officials stripes to skip this one.

More later.

from what I could see from the webcast on the PF the first one that was off setting was the right call not sure about it being off setting but their was something there,

the other ones form  what I had  seen and in my opinion was not any thing that would warrant  a call  unless it something that  was said.  I did the chains of the freshman

games for CG a few time this year and one thing I would do was talk to the side judge.  I did to it to try and learn how they decide to make calls and one thing I learned is  that there is

a push to clean up the cursing and the use of a few keys word will bring a flag quick

Their was a lot of bad calls both ways so I am glad it still was a good game

30 minutes ago, Trojanmp52 said:

from what I could see from the webcast on the PF the first one that was off setting was the right call not sure about it being off setting but their was something there,

the other ones form  what I had  seen and in my opinion was not any thing that would warrant  a call  unless it something that  was said.  I did the chains of the freshman

games for CG a few time this year and one thing I would do was talk to the side judge.  I did to it to try and learn how they decide to make calls and one thing I learned is  that there is

a push to clean up the cursing and the use of a few keys word will bring a flag quick

Their was a lot of bad calls both ways so I am glad it still was a good game

I agree with this. It wasn’t bad officiating by any means, in terms of miscalled, just excessive. I counted 11 dead ball personal foul penalties against Cathedral and thought maybe 2 were warranted. These games are always physical but I thought the refs put their foot down way too early and often. I think Cathedral had 3 consecutive personal fouls called against them on CG’s opening drive in the 2nd half.

Center Grove had a 42 yard drive for a field goal in the third quarter and there were 45 yards in penalties on Cathedral on the drive.

The officiating was far from being acceptable!   Just watch the replay!

Just now, HoosierFB_JG said:

CG crowd was tiny tonight.  First time I’ve ever seen them not have a student section.

I was told it was down because of Fall Break.  It was sparse.

11 minutes ago, TrojanDad said:

Tough for this young team to finish....eliminating the NP loss, the other 4 Trojan losses have occurred by an average of 5.5 points, the largest spread being 7 points.  Teams have to learn how to win.

Doesn't get any easier with the opening sectional game at Columbus East next week.  Let's hope the tough learning during this season pay off down the stretch.  Trojan Pride!!

Congrats Irish....stay healthy and make a run!!!

Bright future for CG. Was shocked at how many non-seniors were starting and contributing. 

Defense was very good. Cathedral O had been humming all year and outside 2 big plays were really limited. Thanks for the kudos and good luck to the Trojans the rest of the way.

On a side note, pretty disheartening to see Cam Jordan in a boot last night. Murmur in the crowd wasn’t good on prognosis. Offense looked anemic and somewhat predictable at times without his big play ability to stretch the field.

• Like 1

Is #2 Jackson really a freshman for CG?

I havent ever seen a CG QB throw the ball downfield with that kind of zip   This is the kind of player that can make a coach change up his offensive philosophy.  Coach Moore is a heckuva football coach, but he is not a QB whisperer.  This kid Jackson has the size and arm to develop into a D1 QB with the right tutoring.  Will be interesting to see how they develop him over the next few years.  Would be a waste of his talent to just have him hand the ball off and run RPO s for short gains.  Also, can CG develop a stable of capable receivers to catch the ball, something else they traditionally have not done.  

21 minutes ago, TrojanDad said:

That is tough news about Cam.  Let's hope he heals quickly.  Tough blow for these young men and their teams.  

General consensus was there was more concern about the upcoming basketball season so take that for what it’s worth. He’s an exceptional 3 sport athlete who also stars for the baseball team?

26 minutes ago, DT said:

Is #2 Jackson really a freshman for CG?

I havent ever seen a CG QB throw the ball downfield with that kind of zip   This is the kind of player that can make a coach change up his offensive philosophy.  Coach Moore is a heckuva football coach, but he is not a QB whisperer.  This kid Jackson has the size and arm to develop into a D1 QB with the right tutoring.  Will be interesting to see how they develop him over the next few years.  Would be a waste of his talent to just have him hand the ball off and run RPO s for short gains.  Also, can CG develop a stable of capable receivers to catch the ball, something else they traditionally have not done.  

He’s a sophomore, kid is very talented. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, PHJIrish said:

Cathedral overcame 143 yards in accepted penalties to win 14-9.  The Irish are not an undisciplined football team, and this was by far the most penalty yards they have accrued this season.  Probably another 50 yards or so were declined by Center Grove.  There may have been more personal fouls called in this game, most all on the Irish, than most basketball games.

The game is now being shown on a delayed basis on WHMB, channel 40, in Indianapolis.  I would advise anyone who wears officials stripes to skip this one.

More later.

after going to the freshman game and standing right next the field i agree that are disciplined in the way they play, but they are undisciplined in they way they act at times and run their mouths.  They got 3 PF calls on them 2 for something they said and could have got a few more and one was a very cheap shot.  Yes I know they are young men and  some times stuff happens but after watching the game Friday might and today their might be a problem

33 minutes ago, Trojanmp52 said:

after going to the freshman game and standing right next the field i agree that are disciplined in the way they play, but they are undisciplined in they way they act at times and run their mouths.  They got 3 PF calls on them 2 for something they said and could have got a few more and one was a very cheap shot.  Yes I know they are young men and  some times stuff happens but after watching the game Friday might and today their might be a problem

You can’t get a personal foul penalty for “something they said.” Contact is required for a personal foul (except for fighting, where a swing and a miss is still a foul).

1 hour ago, Trojanmp52 said:

I'm not sure what you're trying to say?  If you attended the freshman game, could you relay the score please.

18 hours ago, PHJIrish said:

I'm not sure what you're trying to say?  If you attended the freshman game, could you relay the score please.

Cg 26 C 6. Also CG won the Jc game i had seen the score but do not remember at this moment 

Edited by Trojanmp52

On 10/19/2019 at 6:39 PM, Trojanmp52 said:

I don't feel there is a problem at all. I've caught at least 6 of the 9 games Cathedral has played either on live webcast or replay (Noblesville, Cincy Moeller, Cincy Elder, Chatard, Cincy St. X, Louisville Trinity, and Center Grove). No Unsportsmanlike conduct penalties and then several in the Center Grove game. I didn't get to watch the Jeffersonville game, but heard the Center Grove webcast crew mention this was the same crew from the Cathedral Jeffersonville crew (after the first penalty) and they mentioned this crew was flag happy. I wouldn't be able to say if it were true or not, but it did seem this crew threw quite a few flags (on both teams) more so than I have seen in many other games. So I wouldn't say it is a problem with the Irish players when they went from 8 games with no Unsportsmanlike Conduct to several in 1 game. Could be just the crew.

Bright future for Center Grove. They have totally improved from what I saw week 1 (Warren) and week 2 (New Pal). Their youth is growing up quickly! I will be interested to see what they can do come tournament time, Coach Moore is a great coach he will have his team ready. They play great defense don't let a lot of big plays go, and when the run game is clicking they can eat up clock! Jackson at QB is a gem that is looking good and still learning, he has quite the zip on his throws. Best of luck to the Trojans and Irish come tournament time.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, FastpacedO said:

I didn't get to watch the Jeffersonville game, but heard the Center Grove webcast crew mention this was the same crew from the Cathedral Jeffersonville crew (after the first penalty) and they mentioned this crew was flag happy.

Geez, if the webcast crew said it, it must be true.

12 minutes ago, Bobref said:

Geez, if the webcast crew said it, it must be true.

A lot of flags Bob. 

We aren't talking missed holding calls or anything like that, just thought it was a flag happy crew. 11 personal fouls against Cathedral alone in a game that wasn't even all that chippy is a bit excessive, in my opinion.