Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Blind Draw - An Absolute Tragedy

I don't mind sounding like a broken record. I will remind the IHSAA of this every year until it's fixed.

Tragedy #1 - Lafayette Jeff vs Merrillville

Tragedy #2 - Avon vs Brownsburg

No way these teams should have to meet each other in round one. The regular season has tournament implications at every level of every sport............except Indiana high school sports. Sad.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 5

5 minutes ago, BTF said:

I don't mind sounding like a broken record. I will remind the IHSAA of this every year until it's fixed.

Tragedy #1 - Lafayette Jeff vs Merrillville

Tragedy #2 - Avon vs Brownsburg

No way these teams should have to meet each other in round one. The regular season has tournament implications at every level of every sport............except Indiana high school sports. Sad.

Yes, we've read your critique many times over. While your argument has merit, one must remember, by continually verbally attacking the IHSAA about this topic, you've obviously never played the game of BINGO, or Powerball, or Mega millions. Those Ping-Pong balls only have numbers attached and not school names. The administrators only have the authority to do what they do by direct authorization of the school members.  Your critique needs to be directed else ware other than the commissioners and the executive committee.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, BTF said:

I missed that. Completely agree. I might even put that at Tragedy #1.

Ridiculous. This draw cheats the Cass County area fans out of what would have been a terrific sectional championship game. Both teams are evenly matched and are within 1 point of one another in the Sagarin. Lewis Cass won the week one matchup vs Pioneer 28-22.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Gridiron_Junkie said:

THIS P'S Me OFF. Every year the same discussion.  So two top teams have to play in the first round and not for the Championship boo hoo hoo. It doesn't matter you have to play someone in the first round or you have to play them in the last round. S#!$ happens, its life.

Spot on.  No one gets all the cards.

• Like 3

The blind draw is what it is.  You really have to just take what you get and go with it.  I’m not sure how you fix it?  You can’t use sagarin ratings to seed it in my opinion...too many variables there.  You have to beat the teams in front of you to win in the tournament...not sure what else you can do?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, wrcsage said:

The blind draw is what it is.  You really have to just take what you get and go with it.  I’m not sure how you fix it?  You can’t use sagarin ratings to seed it in my opinion...too many variables there.  You have to beat the teams in front of you to win in the tournament...not sure what else you can do?

There’s plenty you can do, seeding the sectionals is a start. Every single state in the Union has figured out a rating system that determines qualification to the postseason with the exception of Indiana. It ain’t rocket science.

Seeding the sectionals would be the starting domino to a qualification system that eliminates half the field after the conclusion of the regular season.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, wrcsage said:

Simple. Have a committee sit down and seed it. Just like they do in NCAA basketball. 

• Like 1

The flip side of this is that whoever wins these tougher first round games gets a little bit of a softer road leading into what is typically going to be a tough regional opponent.  Call me crazy but if I'm Cass or Pioneer I'd probably rather play that game 3 weeks before I have to play Andrean (or whoever comes out of that sectional) rather than just the week before.  

IHSAA will always do Blind Draw.  In every sport.

And every team will always be included in the postseason tournament. In every sport.

If they seeded or decreased the tournament field based on whatever criteria, the exact same people would be bitching about the seeds anyway.

END OF DISCUSSION.

• Like 8
  • Disdain 1

2 minutes ago, slice60 said:

IHSAA will always do Blind Draw.  In every sport.

And every team will always be included in the postseason tournament. In every sport.

If they seeded or decreased the tournament field based on whatever criteria, the exact same people would be bitching about the seeds anyway.

END OF DISCUSSION.

Funny as a wrestling coach we figure out how to SEED a SECTIONAL and I’m pretty sure that is IHSAA sanctioned. 

The fact the IHSAA won’t seed football sectionals is pure LAZINESS. A criteria could be set, just as it is in wrestling, and it would get accomplished and guess what?? It would be a helluva lot better than we have now. Would at least give SOME meaning to a good regular season. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Gridiron_Junkie said:

THIS P'S Me OFF. Every year the same discussion.  So two top teams have to play in the first round and not for the Championship boo hoo hoo. It doesn't matter you have to play someone in the first round or you have to play them in the last round. S#!$ happens, its life.

Thank you, Commissioner Cox, for weighing in on the discussion. lol

• Haha 4

16 minutes ago, slice60 said:

END OF DISCUSSION.

Actually, just the beginning.

Overall attendance would be better in a seeded tournament. The blind draw is costing athletic departments money. Irresponsible. 

Edited by BTF
add
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, BTF said:

Actually, just the beginning.

Overall attendance would be better in a seeded tournament. The blind draw is costing athletic departments money. 

Why? Big games will draw big crowds whether it’s game one or sectional championship. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, BCstate said:

Why? Big games will draw big crowds whether it’s game one or sectional championship. 

I've sat in the stands with both fans and players of teams that bowed out in the first round. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

Not if every team is playing at the same time thanks to the all-in format.

That’s the problem with trying to gain any traction with the seeding discussion- you “qualification” nuts (ie Bobref) always try and make it about that. 

Lets start with making what we have better- and that’s seeding the sectionals. And it’s really pretty simple