Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Sectional of Death - 28

Yeah I think it would be a fools move to think chatard or WL is the favorite. 

for the past 3 years it’s been 1A 1B between the two and usually 1 other team....usually them and the best out of 32 that year.

i personally feel like it’s been pretty accurate too.  Shoot for the better half of this decade, the top of 3A is really close and competitive.  Some games a team made too many mistakes and the score got out of hand....like Chatard vs memorial when memorial scored a ton. but all in all. These teams are all really close. 

no true favorites. It’s more like tiers. 

you got your top tier schools of 3/4 teams 

then you got the guys under that. Probably 10 or so teams. 

then 30ish teams who have been good but frankly it just won’t be enough. 

and finally about 20 teams who are just looking forward to next year and getting the offseason going already 

1 hour ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

Yeah I think it would be a fools move to think chatard or WL is the favorite. 

I think whoever wins Sectional 28 is the (mostly) clear favorite to win 3A state, but the favorite doesn't always win.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, George Orwell 2 said:

While Chatard's skill position players are good, the real talent on the team has been the OL and DL.  As long as they play well, they have a good chance of winning. 

Can’t agree more. Chatard has always had strength on the line and there’s another Solomon coming through the ranks. Seems like every few years there’s another one burying DEs all over the state. Also want to congratulate WL on a hard fought win tonight. What a game. Guerin did just as I predicted, controlling the pace of the game. Just wasn’t enough. Having seen both teams play my Golden Eagles now, I like chatard next week.

• Like 1

Before the Guerin/West Lafayette game fades out of everyone’s attention in light of the upcoming Sectional Championship, I want to give kudos to Tom Dilley and the kids at Guerin.  I watched the game last night and it seemed like Guerin executed their game plan almost to perfection but still fell short.  I really can’t say enough about how disciplined they were as to following Dilley’s plan.

Guerin generally controlled the clock and was able to limit WL’s number of possessions.  They also ran the ball very effectively - particularly in the first half but needed to take to the air later with good result (although WL always had heavy pressure on the Guerin QB).  WL, when they had the ball, would take great gouts of yardage at times seeming to cover 70-80 yards in 3-5 plays.  Guerin got a few stops but I remember when WL punted in the first half a commentator saying it was only the 8th time WL had had to punt all year.  

Only the 8th punt for WL all year!?!  If accurate, that is insane.

My sense is that the difference was special teams.  Guerin mystifyingly seemed to give WL short field opportunities by design.  Particularly near the end of the 2nd Quarter after Guerin scored late to take the lead, they kicked short to WL who only needed to cover less than half the field to score in the last 1:40.  WL ended up scoring and went into the locker room with a lead following a half that Guerin largely controlled.  In the 3rd Quarter (I believe) Guerin gives up the Kickoff return TD.  Guerin also missed an extra point.  

Could be wrong but I really think Guerin wins last night if their special teams’ play matches (or comes close to matching) that of WL.  

I could go on about WL but figure we’ll be talking about them all week.  I just wanted to give Guerin credit for the truly great game they played before we move on.  

For any fans of the game it was streaming free last night if you want to watch it.  

Edited by Lysander
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Lysander said:

Before the Guerin/West Lafayette game fades out of everyone’s attention in light of the upcoming Sectional Championship, I want to give kudos to Tom Dilley and the kids at Guerin.  I watched the game last night and it seemed like Guerin executed their game plan almost to perfection but still fell short.  I really can’t say enough about how disciplined they were as to following Dilley’s plan.

Guerin generally controlled the clock and was able to limit WL’s number of possessions.  They also ran the ball very effectively - particularly in the first half but needed to take to the air later with good result (although WL always had heavy pressure on the Guerin QB).  WL, when they had the ball, would take great gouts of yardage at times seeming to cover 70-80 yards in 3-5 plays.  Guerin got a few stops but I remember when WL punted in the first half a commentator saying it was only the 8th time WL had had to punt all year.  

Only the 8th punt for WL all year!?!  If accurate, that is insane.

My sense is that the difference was special teams.  Guerin mystifyingly seemed to give WL short field opportunities by design.  Particularly near the end of the 2nd Quarter after Guerin scored late to take the lead, they kicked short to WL who only needed to cover less than half the field to score in the last 1:40.  WL ended up scoring and went into the locker room with a lead following a half that Guerin largely controlled.  In the 3rd Quarter (I believe) Guerin gives up the Kickoff return TD.  Guerin also missed an extra point.  

Could be wrong but I really think Guerin wins last night if their special teams’ play matches (or comes close to matching) that of WL.  

I could go on about WL but figure we’ll be talking about them all week.  I just wanted to give Guerin credit for the truly great game they played before we move on.  

For any fans of the game it was streaming free last night if you want to watch it.  

I completely agree with what you say here, but I would add one thing. WL defense has been struggling. Rensselaer, twin lakes, Lewis Cass and Gurien were all able to control the game and clock for parts of the game, or even the whole game in the case of second Cass game and Gurien game. WL is very predictable in their defensive sets, and it's hurt them off late. They have some good athletes there, but if they don't shake it up this week, could get ugly. 

I was just looking at the strength of the various Sectionals and absorbing some of the subtle condescension elsewhere here when discussing 6A vs. the rest of the State.  So, I decided to look at the average strength of the various 6A Sectionals (which have 4 teams each) vs. the top 4 teams in 3A Sectional 28 (Chatard, West Lafayette, Brebeuf and Guerin).  The only real possible comparison was to use analytics so I defaulted to Sagarin.  I could have used Calpreps, etc. but chose Sagarin since it is so often utilized here.  

I averaged the Sagarin strength rating of each 6A Sectional v. the top 4 teams in 3A Sectional 28.  The results were interesting.

The top 4 teams in 3A Sectional 28 had an average Sagarin Rating of 82.68 

Only 6A Sectionals 4, 5 and 7 had higher average Sagarin Ratings (98.79, 95.66 and 91.85 respectively)

6A Sectionals 1, 2, 3, 6 (Perry Meridian really drags the average down in this Sectional) and 8 were all lower on average than Sectional 28 (77.27, 72.36, 80.48, 69.19 and 82.17 respectively).

As it also turns out, only Sectional 4, 5 and 7 had a higher Sagarin rated individual team than the highest Sagarin rated team in Sectional 28.  The top team in 1, 2, 3, 6 and 8 were all lower rated.

Interesting (and useless) factoid but maybe a bow in the quiver of some of the smaller classes should they spy some 6A chest beating going on.

To be clear, the champion of a Class is just that....their Class champ.  They aren’t champion of the class or classes above (or even below them).  My main point (and burr in my butt) is the automatic assumption that bigger means better......by default when it comes to talking about individual teams playing one another.

It doesn’t.  

And before we talked about teams more recently like New Pal (who is the default example) there were other teams in Indiana like Mater Dei and Luers that for decades had consistently beat or competed evenly against schools multiple times bigger than they were and it was EXPECTED that they would win more than their share of those games.  

There seems to be some thought process that somehow every 6A school is a MIC (or HCC) school as regards football.  Most 6A schools are just pretty average.......some just flat out piss poor.  Keep in mind, 5A is only as strong as it is because of the 4A teams that moved into it and dominated that class.

Good teams are good teams and it shouldn’t be some shock that they beat bigger teams.

Rant over......maybe.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Chatard -14.5 

Don’t understand the rant exactly. If Chatard walks through 3A and Cathedral loses to Decatur on Friday, Cathedral still beat Chatard. Cathedral is a class up while Chatard remains in their original class. A 3A Champ BCHS is still not in the same breath as a reformed 4A (sometimes 6A) Cathedral. So, if this discussion is about size, most of us on this board know that doesn’t matter. 

• Disdain 2

8 hours ago, IndianaWrestlingGuy1 said:

Chatard -14.5 

Don’t understand the rant exactly. If Chatard walks through 3A and Cathedral loses to Decatur on Friday, Cathedral still beat Chatard. Cathedral is a class up while Chatard remains in their original class. A 3A Champ BCHS is still not in the same breath as a reformed 4A (sometimes 6A) Cathedral. So, if this discussion is about size, most of us on this board know that doesn’t matter. 

The rant/“get off my lawn” moment (which it was) had more to do a lot of the discussions surrounding 6A and nothing to do with Cathedral/Chatard’s particular hang ups regarding each other.  

For the record, the reason Chatard (in my opinion) is still not in 4A had more to do with bad timing.  Cathedral moved up into a bad 5A at the same time Chatard waltzed into 4A when New Pal and Columbus East notched it up another level (and were in the South).  The top end of 4A was tougher than 5A during that transitional period (and the points needed to stick around were more).  Even today, 5A is pretty much controlled by the old “names” in 4A.  

I remember at the time when 5A was manufactured declaring it was a class with no traditional “powers” excepting Snider and would be eventually dominated by 4A which contained some great teams “pound for pound” (please, let’s not rehash this phrase again).  This, in fact, came to pass and is the case in point for the my original rant.

As “to not being in the same breath” I don’t know what your referencing.

I would argue that most here (at least in 6A) don’t know that size doesn’t matter.  Not that I care much if I’m right or wrong about that.

On 11/2/2019 at 3:35 PM, Dcord33 said:

I completely agree with what you say here, but I would add one thing. WL defense has been struggling. Rensselaer, twin lakes, Lewis Cass and Gurien were all able to control the game and clock for parts of the game, or even the whole game in the case of second Cass game and Gurien game. WL is very predictable in their defensive sets, and it's hurt them off late. They have some good athletes there, but if they don't shake it up this week, could get ugly

This is a good and fair assessment of what WL does.  They beat many HC opponents by talent and numbers.  Their schemes on both sides of the the ball are very simple.  It is usually enough in the HC and for their state run last year .  They were loaded a year ago on defense, and it made for great pressure and run stopping ability.  They are still talented up front but not like last year.  So, if you can protect your QB, you will shred their secondary because they stay in cover 3 every down.  On offense, they run very simple concepts at you fast.  If you stop their bubble game and inside zone, they slow down the tempo trying to figure you out.  They have a very effective down field attack and if Adams(qb) gets loose, he can run like a deer.  Key to beating WL...you must make them punt.  You must score when they do punt.  You must get turnovers.  I have not seen Chatard, so I cannot tell you if it will be a game or not.  I do know that WL can have you down quick, and they will not take the foot off the accelerator if they have it rolling.

10 hours ago, IndianaWrestlingGuy1 said:

Chatard -14.5 

OMG - seriously, bringing up the Cathedral win again, eh. Okay, whatever. Not sure I understand your point, other than to be a burr, regarding performance of each school within their class playoffs and reg season. For your comment about "not in the same breath as a reformed 4A (sometimes 6A) Cathedral" - fine, I guess. You do you, we will focus on WL and 3A. Perhaps you stay in your reformed lane in 5A, sometimes 6A, would have mopped up 4A class with Cathedral. Seriously? Again, whatever.

14 hours ago, IndianaWrestlingGuy1 said:

Chatard -14.5 

Ill go ahead and address this as well. Ive been following catholic school football in the city for years and this just simply isn't true. Chatard and Cathedral have gone hand in hand since the beginning of time. Ill agree, the balance tipped for 4-5 years up until last year. Those were abnormally GREAT cathedral teams with D1 guys all over the field. How they arrived at cathedral is neither here nor there. But before this run was Chatard winning in '12 and nearly winning in '13 if it werent some guy playing for the Redskins now. Heard hes having an OK season :P. Regardless, Chatard and Cathedral returned to its ultimate form the past 2 years and theyre 2 of the top 4 teams in the state this year. To say theyre not in the same breath is absolutely ridiculous. Gold helmets and a castle for a school doesnt warrant that nonsense. *mic drop*

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, TeddyGuerin said:

Ill go ahead and address this as well. Ive been following catholic school football in the city for years and this just simply isn't true. Chatard and Cathedral have gone hand in hand since the beginning of time. Ill agree, the balance tipped for 4-5 years up until last year. Those were abnormally GREAT cathedral teams with D1 guys all over the field. How they arrived at cathedral is neither here nor there. But before this run was Chatard winning in '12 and nearly winning in '13 if it werent some guy playing for the Redskins now. Heard hes having an OK season :P. Regardless, Chatard and Cathedral returned to its ultimate form the past 2 years and theyre 2 of the top 4 teams in the state this year. To say theyre not in the same breath is absolutely ridiculous. Gold helmets and a castle for a school doesnt warrant that nonsense. *mic drop*

No friggin doubt - ridiculous nonsense for sure!

Is this game being broadcast/webcast?  Not seeing it on IHSAATV (and affiliates) and I don’t know what WHMB40’s Game of the Week is as of yet.  

Given  that it’s between No’s 1 and 2 per Sagarin and featuring the Defending State Champ vs. an upstart Cinderella team, it just might be worth broadcasting.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The sectional of death comes to the finish line. Starting with the class 3A #s 1, 2, 3, 6, and 11 ranked teams, we now find #s 1 and 2 competing for the sectional championship.

Very excited to see this game and glad it came down to these two very deserving teams. WL moves fast and has some real studs on both sides of the ball. Chatard is solid all around and will enjoy having home field for this contest. Come early as it is expected to be standing room only.

Weather looks to be cold, a bit breezy, and perfect for this match up.

Have not seen yet if this will broadcast, but would assume it has to be as it features #1 vs #2...

• Like 1

Kind of a less happening playoff thread than past years so I’ll stir the pot a little bit. I’ve got Chatard BIG. The golden eagles have played both and I like the Trojans style of play. Chatard has had a running clock the second half of nearly every game this year (exception is those cathedral guys) and I believe this is the best chatard team we have possibly ever seen. The running back reminds me of another shorter workhorse they had back in 2012. Hartley has gotta be a chatard legend. I digress, but I’ve made my point before here in this thread. The O-Line is spectacular, great receivers, great backs, a qb who is deceiving, and linebackers and safeties that will hit somebody and come back for more the next play. I can’t wait for this matchup and as a neutral, I hope for a close game. I struggle to see it going this way. To the boys from West Lafayette, go play the best that you can and try to prove people like me wrong. To the boys from chatard, play the physical ball you’ve played all season, but dont get complacent. Get better this week. Complacency and overconfidence kills teams in the playoffs. 

• Like 2

Well....this is the game everybody anticipated when the Sectional was first announced.  

As a Chatard fan, I am hoping to see the Trojans get a certain playoff monkey off their back that jumped on during the 2016 post season.  In 2016, they lost a Sectional that, they frankly, probably shouldn’t have.  

In 2017 and 18, they lost big to two very good teams.  The Defense played well (actually it played great in 2018’s blowout loss) in both of those games but, unfortunately, teams have to be hitting on all cylinders....offense, defense and special teams this time of year.  If not, it can go bad in a big way....and it has the last two years.

I’m hoping for a game worthy of the two teams and the expectations that have been pumped up all year long regarding this Sectional.  

I really do think that West Lafayette is the team to beat until someone finally does it.  Regardless, whether I’m right or wrong I hope to see a great game where both teams show the best they have to give.

On 11/6/2019 at 3:22 PM, TeddyGuerin said:

Kind of a less happening playoff thread than past years so I’ll stir the pot a little bit. I’ve got Chatard BIG. The golden eagles have played both and I like the Trojans style of play. Chatard has had a running clock the second half of nearly every game this year (exception is those cathedral guys) and I believe this is the best chatard team we have possibly ever seen. The running back reminds me of another shorter workhorse they had back in 2012. Hartley has gotta be a chatard legend. I digress, but I’ve made my point before here in this thread. The O-Line is spectacular, great receivers, great backs, a qb who is deceiving, and linebackers and safeties that will hit somebody and come back for more the next play. I can’t wait for this matchup and as a neutral, I hope for a close game. I struggle to see it going this way. To the boys from West Lafayette, go play the best that you can and try to prove people like me wrong. To the boys from chatard, play the physical ball you’ve played all season, but dont get complacent. Get better this week. Complacency and overconfidence kills teams in the playoffs. 

Long list of Chatard runnung backs that are legends: Kleinschmidt, Pappas, Mason, Daniels. I found it interesting that Taylor is just a bit taller than Mason was. At any rate all of them were legendary RB's at Chatard. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/6/2019 at 3:22 PM, TeddyGuerin said:

Not so fast my friend!!!

Probably the best matchup of the night.  Chatard has struggled with teams in the playoffs who can spread them out.  Both Danville teams and Evansville Memorial were able to air it out all over the place, as well as win the line of scrimmage defensively.  Judging off the scores of WL games, I know they can score points and will air it out.  However, can WL D-Line and LBs handle the Chatard running game?  According to a few people WL struggles defensively and is predictable, but I believe they load the box and man up the Chatard WRs because everyone in the state knows that Taylor can beat you.  So, can the Chatard QB and WRs win matchups against the WL secondary?

I like this matchup for WL because I think they have the better athletes.  I'm expecting a lot of points in this one,  West Lafayette 40, Chatard 35

15 minutes ago, Knightmare said:

Chatard has struggled with teams in the playoffs who can spread them out.  Both Danville teams and Evansville Memorial were able to air it out all over the place, as well as win the line of scrimmage defensively.  

I am not saying the result you project is incorrect.  It may well turn out that way but I am not sure the quote above is  an accurate description of last year (couldn’t cite you the Danville game the year prior, though).  Historically, what you state has quite often been the case, though, with regard to throwing the ball around.....but Chatard, even those years, typically had offsetting line play and big pressure off the edges.  That said, Memorial scored 14 points on offense with somewhere just under 200 yards passing.  I think their total yardage was less than 250 yards.. .Memorial scored 28 points on defense.  

I could be wrong but I think it was one of the best (if not the best) defensive performance against Memorial all year last year which gets lost in the context of the overall result.

I don’t much care to compare teams year to year or historically because of the tendency to hype the most recent (or current) team versus prior years but I actually do think that Chatard’s D is as good as last year....most likely better.

Not saying I disagree with what you predict (in fact I fear it) but I do think it needs to be pointed out that last year’s result at Memorial was not because of Chatard’s defense but rather in spite of a good defensive effort.

19 minutes ago, Knightmare said:

Not so fast my friend!!!

Probably the best matchup of the night.  Chatard has struggled with teams in the playoffs who can spread them out.  Both Danville teams and Evansville Memorial were able to air it out all over the place, as well as win the line of scrimmage defensively.  Judging off the scores of WL games, I know they can score points and will air it out.  However, can WL D-Line and LBs handle the Chatard running game?  According to a few people WL struggles defensively and is predictable, but I believe they load the box and man up the Chatard WRs because everyone in the state knows that Taylor can beat you.  So, can the Chatard QB and WRs win matchups against the WL secondary?

I like this matchup for WL because I think they have the better athletes.  I'm expecting a lot of points in this one,  West Lafayette 40, Chatard 35

I would say "yes," but the bigger question is less QBs and WRs and more the West Lafayette D-line.  West Lafayette's D-line is a tremendous asset to their secondary's performance.  There are plenty hurries and just plain old bad passes thrown because of the pressure from West Lafayette's front D-line.  From my perspective, the question is less about West Lafayette's secondary and more about Chatard's O-line.  Can they keep WL's D-line off of the QB so he can find the WRs?  If they can, the WL secondary will give up yards and points in the air.  If they can't, then the secondary only needs to be average.

• Like 1