Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Sectional of Death - 28

10 minutes ago, bigfish said:

I still think WL is the favorite here.

Not to complain............. but I still can't believe this game isn't going to be broadcasted on IHSAAtv or Indiana SRN

Agreed.....baffled why this game isn’t broadcast.  Honestly, biggest game of the weekend.

Edited by Lysander
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, bigfish said:

I still think WL is the favorite here.

Not to complain............. but I still can't believe this game isn't going to be broadcasted on IHSAAtv or Indiana SRN

IHSAA Champions network should have picked up the WL at Chatard game, and let Hamilton County TV Sports pick up Westfield at Carmel. The other IHSAA Champions Network will be at the East Central at Mooresville game (which will be another good one). WHMB TV 40 is at Franklin vs New Palestine. Surprised SRN selected Scecina vs Heritage Christian.

1 minute ago, Lysander said:

Agreed.....baffled why this game isn’t broadcasted.  Honestly, biggest game of the weekend.

Perhaps all the networks were upset also that Chatard wasn't playing at the field of Champions and boycotted! 

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, FastpacedO said:

IHSAA Champions network should have picked up the WL at Chatard game, and let Hamilton County TV Sports pick up Westfield at Carmel. The other IHSAA Champions Network will be at the East Central at Mooresville game (which will be another good one). WHMB TV 40 is at Franklin vs New Palestine. Surprised SRN selected Scecina vs Heritage Christian.

Perhaps all the networks were upset also that Chatard wasn't playing at the field of Champions and boycotted! 

Now this, I can support!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Knightmare said:

Not so fast my friend!!!

Probably the best matchup of the night.  Chatard has struggled with teams in the playoffs who can spread them out.  Both Danville teams and Evansville Memorial were able to air it out all over the place, as well as win the line of scrimmage defensively.  Judging off the scores of WL games, I know they can score points and will air it out.  However, can WL D-Line and LBs handle the Chatard running game?  According to a few people WL struggles defensively and is predictable, but I believe they load the box and man up the Chatard WRs because everyone in the state knows that Taylor can beat you.  So, can the Chatard QB and WRs win matchups against the WL secondary?

I like this matchup for WL because I think they have the better athletes.  I'm expecting a lot of points in this one,  West Lafayette 40, Chatard 35

QB and WRs are more than good enough...

Year Grade Team GP C Att Yds C% Avg Y/G C/G TD TD/G Int Lng QB Rate

19-20 Senior Varsity 11 129 199 1795 0.648 13.9 163.2 11.7 27 2.5 4 57 124.9
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, foxbat said:

I would say "yes," but the bigger question is less QBs and WRs and more the West Lafayette D-line.  West Lafayette's D-line is a tremendous asset to their secondary's performance.  There are plenty hurries and just plain old bad passes thrown because of the pressure from West Lafayette's front D-line.  From my perspective, the question is less about West Lafayette's secondary and more about Chatard's O-line.  Can they keep WL's D-line off of the QB so he can find the WRs?  If they can, the WL secondary will give up yards and points in the air.  If they can't, then the secondary only needs to be average.

Chatard’s offensive line will play with anybody in the state. It’s been like that since the early 2000s. Might be the first time I’ve ever seen a Chatard oline questioned, and this year out of all years no less. Interesting

7 hours ago, Knightmare said:

Not so fast my friend!!!

Probably the best matchup of the night.  Chatard has struggled with teams in the playoffs who can spread them out.  Both Danville teams and Evansville Memorial were able to air it out all over the place, as well as win the line of scrimmage defensively.  Judging off the scores of WL games, I know they can score points and will air it out.  However, can WL D-Line and LBs handle the Chatard running game?  According to a few people WL struggles defensively and is predictable, but I believe they load the box and man up the Chatard WRs because everyone in the state knows that Taylor can beat you.  So, can the Chatard QB and WRs win matchups against the WL secondary?

I like this matchup for WL because I think they have the better athletes.  I'm expecting a lot of points in this one,  West Lafayette 40, Chatard 35

Love the Corso reference!! I feel checked! Lol. Anyway I’ve seen both teams play and I’d give the slight edge to chatard’s athletes. Some are deceiving, others are flat out noticeable (1 or 2 receivers, the RB, and a freak athlete safety)

2 minutes ago, TeddyGuerin said:

Chatard’s offensive line will play with anybody in the state. It’s been like that since the early 2000s. Might be the first time I’ve ever seen a Chatard oline questioned, and this year out of all years no less. Interesting

I wasn't questioning Chatard's O-line.  Merely stating that it's less a question of how Chatard's QB/WRs match up with West Lafayette's secondary and the focus should be on the line.  There are many times where a secondary helps the line by creating the ability for coverage sacks; however, West Lafayette tends to be the opposite of that where the D-line makes its own sacks regardless of secondary activity.  West Lafayette's D-line has been the focus of that team for a while and this year isn't much different.  Keep them off of your QB and you will end up with yards and TDs on their secondary.

1 hour ago, foxbat said:

I wasn't questioning Chatard's O-line.  Merely stating that it's less a question of how Chatard's QB/WRs match up with West Lafayette's secondary and the focus should be on the line.  There are many times where a secondary helps the line by creating the ability for coverage sacks; however, West Lafayette tends to be the opposite of that where the D-line makes its own sacks regardless of secondary activity.  West Lafayette's D-line has been the focus of that team for a while and this year isn't much different.  Keep them off of your QB and you will end up with yards and TDs on their secondary.

Fair. I’m a firm believer that just about every game is decided in the trenches. Just to be clear, Chatard is not my team. Go Golden Eagles!

16 hours ago, Knightmare said:

Not so fast my friend!!!

Your comment about loading the box and going man is exactly what West side needed to do tonight to give themselves a chance. However, they did more of the other.  They came out more worried about getting beat by the pass.  They got rolled up because of it.  I think one of the things that really shocked me was them taking one of the best d players in the state, and keeping him outside on number 2 receiver most the night. I made a comment a few days ago that if they don't make changes, it could get ugly, and it did.  

I think one of the things that impressed me the most, out of Chatard, was their tackling. More importantly, their open field tackling. Many possible big plays for West side were killed by some great open field play by Chatard.  

On 11/6/2019 at 2:22 PM, TeddyGuerin said:

Kind of a less happening playoff thread than past years so I’ll stir the pot a little bit. I’ve got Chatard BIG. The golden eagles have played both and I like the Trojans style of play.

The O-Line is spectacular, great receivers, great backs, a qb who is deceiving, and linebackers and safeties that will hit somebody and come back for more the next play. I can’t wait for this matchup and as a neutral, I hope for a close game. I struggle to see it going this way.

Hate to say I told you so, but........

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, TeddyGuerin said:

Yeah....you pretty well nailed it.  No denying your call on this one.

I honestly was hoping just to see Chatard pull out a win - didn’t expect them to run for 430 yards and only throw 3 or 4 passes.

36 minutes ago, TeddyGuerin said:

Utter dismantling 

2 minutes ago, Lysander said:

Yeah....you pretty well nailed it.  No denying your call on this one.

I honestly was hoping just to see Chatard pull out a win - didn’t expect them to run for 430 yards and only throw 3 or 4 passes.

Everybody convinced now?

• Like 2

Just a quick close out.  Kyle Adams is the real deal.  I’ve certainly not seen every QB in Indiana HS football this year but I have seen more than a few...and its hard for me to imagine there are many better ones.  I was shocked to find out he actually passed for over 300 yards since it seemed he had the ball so few times.  Karlaftis showed up prominently on offense but didn’t seem to be as dominating a presence on defense as expected.  Fairly certain that had to do with Chatard’s game plan of just pounding it up the middle rather than work the edges where Karlaftis prowled.  

Honestly feel like the Chatard staff should send Tom Dilley and company a “thank you” for showing them a winning game plan.  It seemed as if Chatard took Guerin’s game plan and never waivered.  430 yards rushing with maintaining possession 75% of the game time.  Only 6 passes all night by Chatard (which normally throws about 50% of the time). 

As exceptional as Taylor and his backfield compatriots are (and he is exceptional) this game emphasized a long standing point of pride about Chatard.  It is a school for lineman.  Lots of great players have come through Chatard over the years but there have been a lot more linemen playing on Saturdays and a few on Sundays.   Chatard is long known for the linemen it produces (especially O lineman) and this game was, frankly, a showcase for them.  

Congrats to West Lafayette on a great season....that said, I still think it’s ridiculous that these teams all got loaded into the same Sectional.  I really feel like WL, Guerin and Brebeuf should all still be practicing.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Lysander said:

As exceptional as Taylor and his backfield compatriots are (and he is exceptional) this game emphasized a long standing point of pride about Chatard.  It is a school for lineman.  Lots of great players have come through Chatard over the years but there have been a lot more linemen playing on Saturdays and a few on Sundays.   Chatard is long known for the linemen it produces (especially O lineman) and this game was, frankly, a showcase for them.  

Well said.  I would go one further and say that this entire season has been a showcase for Chatard's O-line.  It would be interesting to know what the cumulative time of possession is for the season.  Really the entire program is built around exceptional offensive line play.  Those guys definitely don't get enough credit year in and year out. 

3 hours ago, Lysander said:

Congrats to West Lafayette on a great season....that said, I still think it’s ridiculous that these teams all got loaded into the same Sectional.  I really feel like WL, Guerin and Brebeuf should all still be practicing.

IHSAA has been doing it for 30 years. In the 90s, it was Chatard, Roncalli, and Cathedral in the same sectional. Most of those years, the sectional winner won the state or at least made it to the championship game. If there is a chance to get the P/Ps in the same sectional, the IHSAA will certainly get it done. 

• Like 1