Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Let us remember the 0'fers in the last week of the regular season

11 minutes ago, Impartial_Observer said:

Why is 280 the target? From all I can gather your interests lie in something other than what's best for the young men and women who play the game. How do you from your cushy retirement community in Arizona have any idea what's best for the kids in Pike County? And since you don't do anything for free, who's paying you to continue this crusade of denying high school kids the opportunity to play the great team game? 

image.jpeg.49ba3e83ca49c82bb34dd12986d5d6e9.jpeg

This retirement community?  Though this one is located in Florida.

54 minutes ago, DannEllenwood said:

One of the best, hard fought, exciting games I saw all year.

All the kids played hard, represented their schools with class, and had nice turnouts for support.

Best wishes to SN and LS (and all teams) in the post season.

There is a question that I would like to ask you about both South Newton's and Lake Station's set up, but I don't want to get in trouble for letting my burning passion for certain things get out of control. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Tanka Jahari said:

There is a question that I would like to ask you about both South Newton's and Lake Station's set up, but I don't want to get in trouble for letting my burning passion for certain things get out of control. 

Does it have to do w/ EZ cameras?  

If so, I do not recall.

3 minutes ago, Tanka Jahari said:

possibly

There might be others on this site, from either school,that could answer that more clearly.

31 minutes ago, Impartial_Observer said:

Why is 280 the target? From all I can gather your interests lie in something other than what's best for the young men and women who play the game. How do you from your cushy retirement community in Arizona have any idea what's best for the kids in Pike County? And since you don't do anything for free, who's paying you to continue this crusade of denying high school kids the opportunity to play the great team game? 

I wouldn’t worry about his theories on contraction.  I used to get all worked up about it, but there’s nothing behind it as he is nowhere close to being in a position to making up the rules.  I also must wonder what prompts him to make all of his crazy edicts...

19 hours ago, Muda69 said:

Please elaborate.  My experience with high school athletic event concessions is that it is staffed 90+% by adults, not children.

Depending on the size of the event. High School or Middle School. Friday Night Basketball, Wrestling, swimming etc... There will be a Coach from represented team as the "supervisor" or money taker if you will. And then 2-5 athletes that work in there.

48 minutes ago, Tanka Jahari said:

possibly

I know we do not have one, I do not remember seeing one for Lake Station either.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Impartial_Observer said:

Over the past several seasons, it has become increasingly clear that the gap between the high school football haves and havenots is growing significantly wider.

I can see this as I peruse the John Harrell Gameday Scoreboard every Friday night, and analyze conference standings, point differentials and Sagarin Ratings.

The negative impact of participation decline, program disinvestment, administrative and community apathy, evolving demographic and socio economic trends, and the general societal movement away from tackle football and towards other activities including gaming have taken a toll mostly on small to medium sized programs.  

Football is the most costly extra curricular activity a school can offer to its students.  many schools are teetering on the edge of barely being able to field a roster of able bodies to compete on Friday nights.  We've already seen clear signs of contraction over the past few seasons, as well as game postponements and cancellations.  The shortage of referees further exacerbates this problem and gives ADs at struggling schools all the more reason to pull the plug.

I do not believe that ADs owe kids the opportunity to play football as a part of the extra curricular activity menu.  Football, like any other sport, must fit the wants and needs and desires of each school where it is played.  Given the opportunity to contract . I believe many schools would gladly pull the plug.  I also believe in minimum participation standards by class, which would likely force many programs to the sidelines due to participation uncertainty.

I believe the contraction of 30 to 40 programs will improve the overall competitive balance in all classes throughout the state.  We will see more competitive games, fewer massive blowouts, better overall participation, and a safer environment where mercy rules are potentially no longer needed.

I am for a 6 class model, as follows :

Class 6A  - 32 schools

Class 2A thru 5A - 54 schools

Class 1A - 32 schools

Total 280 schools

Let the contraction begin in earnest.

1 minute ago, DT said:

Over the past several seasons, it has become increasingly clear that the gap between the high school football haves and havenots is growing significantly wider.

I can see this as I peruse the John Harrell Gameday Scoreboard every Friday night, and analyze conference standings, point differentials and Sagarin Ratings.

The negative impact of participation decline, program disinvestment, administrative and community apathy, evolving demographic and socio economic trends, and the general societal movement away from tackle football and towards other activities including gaming have taken a toll mostly on small to medium sized programs.  

Football is the most costly extra curricular activity a school can offer to its students.  many schools are teetering on the edge of barely being able to field a roster of able bodies to compete on Friday nights.  We've already seen clear signs of contraction over the past few seasons, as well as game postponements and cancellations.  The shortage of referees further exacerbates this problem and gives ADs at struggling schools all the more reason to pull the plug.

I do not believe that ADs owe kids the opportunity to play football as a part of the extra curricular activity menu.  Football, like any other sport, must fit the wants and needs and desires of each school where it is played.  Given the opportunity to contract . I believe many schools would gladly pull the plug.  I also believe in minimum participation standards by class, which would likely force many programs to the sidelines due to participation uncertainty.

I believe the contraction of 30 to 40 programs will improve the overall competitive balance in all classes throughout the state.  We will see more competitive games, fewer massive blowouts, better overall participation, and a safer environment where mercy rules are potentially no longer needed.

Class 6A  - 32 schools

Class 1A - 32 schools

Total 280 schools

How many times a year do you Copy and Paste this?

18 minutes ago, DT said:

Class 6A  - 32 schools

Class 1A - 32 schools

Total 280 schools

Is this the goal of education based sports?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Impartial_Observer said:

Is this the goal of education based sports?

We have lots of schools who basically go thru the motions during football season.  They have no hope for a winning season, or a conference championship or post season success.  

As numbers dwindle, is it not a good idea for ADS and admins to do a thorough assessment of this activity to determine if it is still a worthwhile investment in valuable funds and that this investment provides kids with a positive experience ?

We have read many times on this forum that coaches and ADs sometimes must scour the halls for live bodies trying to fill out a football roster.  Is that really a good idea in the long run?  I don't think so.  If we have to force kids to play and drag them kicking and screaming away from their devices and video games, then our priorities are skewed badly.  

12 minutes ago, DT said:

We have lots of schools who basically go thru the motions during football season.  They have no hope for a winning season, or a conference championship or post season success.  

As numbers dwindle, is it not a good idea for ADS and admins to do a thorough assessment of this activity to determine if it is still a worthwhile investment in valuable funds and that this investment provides kids with a positive experience ?

We have read many times on this forum that coaches and ADs sometimes must scour the halls for live bodies trying to fill out a football roster.  Is that really a good idea in the long run?  I don't think so.  If we have to force kids to play and drag them kicking and screaming away from their devices and video games, then our priorities are skewed badly.  

So what? Those schools are accountable to their boards, taxpayers in their respective communities, and the voters. 

20 hours ago, Muda69 said:

Possibly because a good percentage of the athletes have to have a part time job to help support their families,  so if it is not their 'game night' they are working.

But this isn't just home events.  Most every time I have visited a concession stand, home or away, I have been waited on by an adult.  Especially when it came to paying/receiving change.

I have been around a lot of high schools and I don't see that trend nor do I see a trend of kids supporting their families by working.  I'm not saying it doesn't happen but its not prevalent in the areas I have taught and coached in.

17 minutes ago, Warriorfan said:

Not sure what this has to do with my post.

Very little.  He just can’t defeat.  I think he only has one person on his side.  I have stated time and again that athletics, especially on the small-school level, are very cyclical: for every winning streak, there will be times of loss.  And as another poster stated the concession stands are sometimes being staffed by adults.  Could that possibly be because the students are supporting the ancillary activities such as band, cheering, training staff, etc.

• Disdain 1

54 minutes ago, DT said:

I teach at a school that is having a pretty bad year.  The players that I personally know in my class do not just go through the motions.  You're nuts.  I've played on and coached some good and bad teams and we tried our best each and every time (various sports).    One of the bigger reasons for score disparities is due to the offenses that are quick strike as compared to days of yore.  

Edited by Robert

7 minutes ago, Gipper said:

Very little.  He just can’t defeat.  I think he only has one person on his side.  I have stated time and again that athletics, especially on the small-school level, are very cyclical: for every winning streak, there will be times of loss.  And as another poster stated the concession stands are sometimes being staffed by adults.  Could that possibly be because the students are supporting the ancillary activities such as band, cheering, training staff, etc.

No bad grammar on this on: I meant to say the Contraction Overlord can’t admit defeat.

• Disdain 1

48 minutes ago, Warriorfan said:

Not sure what this has to do with my post.

You would have to be a veteran here to understand.  

16 minutes ago, Gipper said:

No bad grammar on this on: I meant to say the Contraction Overlord can’t admit defeat.

Are you sure genius?

1 hour ago, Impartial_Observer said:

So what? Those schools are accountable to their boards, taxpayers in their respective communities, and the voters. 

How fair is it to the other 280 kids in that small rural school when they see their 20 classmates go out every Friday night and get massacred 68-0?  

Do you think it ever crosses their young growing minds that maybe football just isnt a good idea at their school?  That maybe the money being spent on that football program might be better used to heat and cool the school, or pay sub teacher salaries, or pave the parking lot, or send the band to camp, or expand more ethnically appropriate sports like cross country and soccer?

Just now, Gipper said:

Misspelling is not bad grammar, ignoramus.

Most financial people I know are very precise.  You are very sloppy.  

1 minute ago, Gipper said:

Misspelling is not bad grammar, ignoramus.

Then again, if you have time to nitpick, you should have time to clean your mom’s basement.

3 minutes ago, DT said:

How fair is it to the other 280 kids in that small rural school when they see their 20 classmates go out every Friday night and get massacred 68-0?  

Do you think it ever crosses their young growing minds that maybe football just isnt a good idea at their school?  That maybe the money being spent on that football program might be better used to heat and cool the school, or pay sub teacher salaries, or pave the parking lot, or send the band to camp, or expand more ethnically appropriate sports like cross country and soccer?

Like I care what you think...

• Disdain 1

2 minutes ago, DT said:

"ethnically appropriate"?  Do you mean what I think you mean by that phrase?

5 minutes ago, DT said:

Fair?  Life isn’t fair.