Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Lafayette Jeff Bronchos.... The 6A wildcard

This is my mystery team.  Certainly I don't disagree with their ranking.  After all it is for recognition purposes only.  And they are deserving of this recognition.  But they basically had a 3-game season.  West Lafayette, Harrison and Lawrence Central.  They passed those tests. Barely!  And all 3 scored a lot of points.  You can convince me that they can score points, but it will be hard to convince me they can stop the top teams in 6A defensively.  

CLASS SECTIONAL JOHN HARRELL'S INDIANA HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL RECENT SEASONS
6A 1 E-MAIL CORRECTIONS MAP TO SCHOOL 8-0
TOURNAMENT HISTORY
LAFAYETTE JEFF
BRONCHOS
Coach: Pat Shanley, 33-7 in 4th year at school
DATE OPPONENT EASTERN TIME OA 55.6, DA 23.6

Aug. 23   West Lafayette 3A W 74 66    
Aug. 30 at Lawrence Central 6A W 36 34    
Sep. 6   McCutcheon 5A © W 47 12    
Sep. 13 at Harrison (West Lafayette) 5A © W 47 35    
Sep. 20 at Kokomo 5A © W 55 3    
Sep. 27   Anderson 5A © W 69 13    
Oct. 4 at Richmond 4A © W 54 12    
Oct. 11   Logansport 4A © W 63 14    
Oct. 18   Indianapolis Tech 6A © 7:00 pm    
©NORTH CENTRAL CONFERENCE GAME

Seems that Jeff is to the NCC as New Pal is to the HHC.  But they don't play conference foe Marion, 20-2 in their last 22 games, which could have been a good test.  New Pal has proven themselves, Jeff is going to have to do it right away against Merrillville in the sectional 1 opener.  Win that game and a lot of doubts will be erased, and a semistate matchup with either an Allen Co. school or a Hamilton Co. school could be waiting.  

Someone educate me on what they do well.  Defense?  No!

56 minutes ago, Staxawax said:

This is my mystery team.  Certainly I don't disagree with their ranking.  After all it is for recognition purposes only.  And they are deserving of this recognition.  But they basically had a 3-game season.  West Lafayette, Harrison and Lawrence Central.  They passed those tests. Barely!  And all 3 scored a lot of points.  You can convince me that they can score points, but it will be hard to convince me they can stop the top teams in 6A defensively.  

CLASS SECTIONAL JOHN HARRELL'S INDIANA HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL RECENT SEASONS
6A 1 E-MAIL CORRECTIONS MAP TO SCHOOL 8-0
TOURNAMENT HISTORY
LAFAYETTE JEFF
BRONCHOS
Coach: Pat Shanley, 33-7 in 4th year at school
DATE OPPONENT EASTERN TIME OA 55.6, DA 23.6

Aug. 23   West Lafayette 3A W 74 66    
Aug. 30 at Lawrence Central 6A W 36 34    
Sep. 6   McCutcheon 5A © W 47 12    
Sep. 13 at Harrison (West Lafayette) 5A © W 47 35    
Sep. 20 at Kokomo 5A © W 55 3    
Sep. 27   Anderson 5A © W 69 13    
Oct. 4 at Richmond 4A © W 54 12    
Oct. 11   Logansport 4A © W 63 14    
Oct. 18   Indianapolis Tech 6A © 7:00 pm    
©NORTH CENTRAL CONFERENCE GAME

Seems that Jeff is to the NCC as New Pal is to the HHC.  But they don't play conference foe Marion, 20-2 in their last 22 games, which could have been a good test.  New Pal has proven themselves, Jeff is going to have to do it right away against Merrillville in the sectional 1 opener.  Win that game and a lot of doubts will be erased, and a semistate matchup with either an Allen Co. school or a Hamilton Co. school could be waiting.  

Someone educate me on what they do well.  Defense?  No!

Jeff--Merrillville should be an interesting one as I don't  know what to think of the Pirates either...

The game is evolving..... becoming track meets .... check out Harrels yearly tourney scoring tab..... 1976 was the pinnacle of defense at 27pts flat.... now it's in the 50s.... mayb D no longer wins championships?

A zebra said both teams are big.. and very fast..... Jeff may hav a bit more speed.... whoever executes their O better wins this one?

18 minutes ago, BendNotBreak said:

The game is evolving..... becoming track meets .... check out Harrels yearly tourney scoring tab..... 1976 was the pinnacle of defense at 27pts flat.... now it's in the 50s.... mayb D no longer wins championships?

A zebra said both teams are big.. and very fast..... Jeff may hav a bit more speed.... whoever executes their O better wins this one?

I still have to believe that if you can hold a team to a limited number of points, your odds of prevailing go up.  As someone whose favored the defensive side of the ball for many years, I'm not yet ready to "go gentle into that good night." 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, BDGiant93 said:

Congratulations to Coach Shanley. A really good guy who's done a great job.

He'd be a great choice to get that BD program turned around.  

59 minutes ago, BendNotBreak said:

Defense does win championships. Case in point.............Dwenger. Last year Evansville Central was averaging over 40 pts a game until they reached Dwenger. I believe that game went into overtime at 0-0 with Dwenger eventually winning. When Snider plays Carmel, 90% of the time, the Panthers have the better offense. Carmel's defense is the reason they've won 6 in a row against Snider.I 

I have nothing against Lafayette Jeff. In fact, I wish them the best unless they are playing Snider. But I think their defense will be their doom this year. It may happen in sectional, it may happen in regional, or it could happen at semi-state. But it will happen...............in my opinion. Good luck to them. It's good for 6a to have quality representation out of Lafayette. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, DT said:

I think Coach Simmons has been doing a great job this year. 

Back to Lafayette Jeff though, I would love to see a Jeff vs Carmel/Snider showdown to see who goes to Lucas Oil. Would be a hell of a game

• Like 2

1 minute ago, CGFan2017 said:

Back to Lafayette Jeff though, I would love to see a Jeff vs Carmel/Snider showdown to see who goes to Lucas Oil. Would be a hell of a game

So would I, but if I were betting, I would say Jeff is more likely to play Homestead than Carmel or Snider. 

Jeff’s defense is much better than people give it credit for. Honestly, you’d have a hard time telling me their D-line isn’t a top 10 D-line in the state. With that being said, their biggest weakness is far and away their secondary. Teams who air it out will have a great chance to match Jeff’s high-octane offense. But Jeff plays at such a ridiculous pace, it will be a challenge for any team before semi-state to slow them down. I’m not saying they have a cakewalk, but they have to be favored against Merrillville, Crown Point (assuming they beat Lake Central), and then most likely Warsaw if they were to make it to regionals. A semi-state meeting with Homestead, Carmel or Fishers looms but, like what someone said in another thread, if any year is their breakthrough year it is this one. Shanley has done an amazing job at Jeff and I hope he stays around for the long haul. Jeff has the athletes year in and year out to be able to compete with the top half of 6a. Wouldn’t it be something if the Bronchos earned an invite back to the HCC. They’ve beaten Noblesville and Westfield the past 2 years and played Carmel tough last year

41 minutes ago, BTF said:
41 minutes ago, BTF said:

So would I, but if I

47 minutes ago, CGFan2017 said:

betting, I would say Jeff is more likely to play Homestead than Carmel or Snider. 

Snider will not be at regional. OK, they have a slim chance, but doubt they get by Sparty.

4 hours ago, DT said:

I’m not sure how BD is doing poor?  If they win this weekend they’ll win the MIC with a relatively young team.  They’re a favorite to win the sectional.  If they need to have their program turned around, you’re essentially saying the entire MIC needs an overhaul.  I knew this BD team would need to rebuild in 18 and 19.  They’ll be one of the best in 2020, no doubt.  Just as long as they don’t beat the Hounds.

2 state titles in 5 years.  Not shabby.  

CG 1 

Carmel 1

WC 1

Other 28 6A programs, 0

• Thanks 1

psaboy.......................Snider will not be at regional. OK, they have a slim chance, but doubt they get by Sparty.

Snider has the athletes to beat Sparty. They just have to make adjustments and figure it out. The big question for Snider is whether or not they get by Carroll. If they are not 100% focused on the Chargers, they will lose the game. I consider Carroll a trap game for Snider with Homestead losing. I'm 50/50 on whether or not Snider will get by the first round.

Carroll is a very good football team, let's not forget that. They lost to Snider and Dwenger by a total margin of 8 points. They were in the game against Homestead until late third quarter. They also took care of Concordia last week 16-0 with several starters nursing injuries. 

• Like 1

If I was a betting man and I feel like I know Coach Shanley pretty well, with the program he has developed there is not a chance that his team lost anyone because of grades.   Culture change in land of Bronchos is not just ON the field but it has been OFF the field as well.   

I know they are excited for the opportunity to take on the Pirates and speaking with Coach Shanley just last week before the draw even came out, he knew exactly what Merrillville has and knows his team is in for a huge fight up in the 219.   Coach does not leave any rocks unturned.   

I wouldn't even say it was an upset if the Pirates won, just because they are that talented as well.    Going to be a very good game week 1 of sectional 1 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Coach Nowlin said:

I wouldn't even say it was an upset if the Pirates won, just because they are that talented as well.    Going to be a very good game week 1 of sectional 1 

Agreed. I'm hoping this season isn't a fluke and Seiss has the Pirates back to where we would expect them to be: In the hunt for a playoff run and some quality talent on the roster. Their Senior class has 2 D1 commits in 6'7 320 OT Martes Lewis (Minnesota) and 6'0 WR Jeremiah Howard (Northern Illinois). 5'6 JR WR Armani Glass is popping up in the 247 database as well as 6'4 335 SO DT Kenneth Grant. You would have to go back to the Zac Well's era of competing for Regional and Semi-State Titles for the last time the Pirates had multiple D1 prospects on their roster.

5 hours ago, Boilernation said:

Agreed. I'm hoping this season isn't a fluke and Seiss has the Pirates back to where we would expect them to be: In the hunt for a playoff run and some quality talent on the roster. Their Senior class has 2 D1 commits in 6'7 320 OT Martes Lewis (Minnesota) and 6'0 WR Jeremiah Howard (Northern Illinois). 5'6 JR WR Armani Glass is popping up in the 247 database as well as 6'4 335 SO DT Kenneth Grant. You would have to go back to the Zac Well's era of competing for Regional and Semi-State Titles for the last time the Pirates had multiple D1 prospects on their roster.

I may live in the Region now, but growing up where I did,  Jeff was the deal: they'll win 27-14.

Edited by Gipper

On 10/15/2019 at 7:13 PM, Bears62 said:

Jeff’s defense is much better than people give it credit for. Honestly, you’d have a hard time telling me their D-line isn’t a top 10 D-line in the state. With that being said, their biggest weakness is far and away their secondary. Teams who air it out will have a great chance to match Jeff’s high-octane offense. But Jeff plays at such a ridiculous pace, it will be a challenge for any team before semi-state to slow them down. I’m not saying they have a cakewalk, but they have to be favored against Merrillville, Crown Point (assuming they beat Lake Central), and then most likely Warsaw if they were to make it to regionals. A semi-state meeting with Homestead, Carmel or Fishers looms but, like what someone said in another thread, if any year is their breakthrough year it is this one. Shanley has done an amazing job at Jeff and I hope he stays around for the long haul. Jeff has the athletes year in and year out to be able to compete with the top half of 6a. Wouldn’t it be something if the Bronchos earned an invite back to the HCC. They’ve beaten Noblesville and Westfield the past 2 years and played Carmel tough last year

That was on display tonight.  The score looks like they handled AT easily, and they mainly did, however; they are vulnerable in the secondary.  Tech was far and away out-sized tonight and that, plus the Jeff offense, kept Tech from ever really being close to even thinking that they had a chance.  Nonetheless, Jeff imploded on the opening drive coughing up the ball on Tech's 17 and then, in the closing minute of the 1st half, turned the ball over on a pickoff at the line of scrimmage.  Tech also stopped Jeff's offense inside the Tech 30 on a 4th and four.  Jeff's kicking game also saw a missed PAT from the 1/2 yard line after two Tech penalties in a row on the PAT and at least four kickoffs that were kicked out of bounds for penalties.  Toss in a breakaway run up the middle and it's a good thing that Jeff wasn't playing Merrillville tonight.  A couple of unsportsmanlike penalties and personal fouls tossed in and a sideline warning and there are a mix of items that should give pause/concern.  They might have been looking ahead to next week, but they've got to get things ironed out this week or they are going to get the rug pulled out from under them.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, foxbat said:

That was on display tonight.  The score looks like they handled AT easily, and they mainly did, however; they are vulnerable in the secondary.  Tech was far and away out-sized tonight and that, plus the Jeff offense, kept Tech from ever really being close to even thinking that they had a chance.  Nonetheless, Jeff imploded on the opening drive coughing up the ball on Tech's 17 and then, in the closing minute of the 1st half, turned the ball over on a pickoff at the line of scrimmage.  Tech also stopped Jeff's offense inside the Tech 30 on a 4th and four.  Jeff's kicking game also saw a missed PAT from the 1/2 yard line after two Tech penalties in a row on the PAT and at least four kickoffs that were kicked out of bounds for penalties.  Toss in a breakaway run up the middle and it's a good thing that Jeff wasn't playing Merrillville tonight.  A couple of unsportsmanlike penalties and personal fouls tossed in and a sideline warning and there are a mix of items that should give pause/concern.  They might have been looking ahead to next week, but they've got to get things ironed out this week or they are going to get the rug pulled out from under them.

They didn’t play perfect, but Jeff has scored less than 47 only one time through 9 games. And Merrillville did not exactly look too good against a slight above average Chesterton team tonight, only winning by 7. I still believe Jeff beats them by 2-3 scores on their way to their first sectional title in 17 years. No team has been able to slow down Jeff’s O this season