Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Lafayette Jeff Bronchos.... The 6A wildcard

6 minutes ago, Bears62 said:

It’s hard to tell, they don’t have any stats on maxpreps. I plan on watching the Merrillville Valpo game before Friday to get a better grip on them. And you’re right, Jeff can not afford to kick out of bounds. Wouldn’t be surprised to see them pooch it to the 30 or 35 like they were doing a lot earlier in the season. Good news is their kicker is capable of hitting FG’s around 30 yards. He made one to give them the lead against LC this year.

I'd guess 90% of all schools, regardless of class, have a kicker that can do 30-yard FG's. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Staxawax said:

I'd guess 90% of all schools, regardless of class, have a kicker that can do 30-yard FG's. 

Well there’s a difference between being capable and your coach trusting you enough to make it in the 4th quarter with less than 8 minutes left to give you the lead, which was the case in the Jeff LC game.

5 minutes ago, Boilernation said:

I found a Jeremiah Howard 2019 highlite clip on HUDL. The 32 second mark has the infamous last minute play against Valpo when a block in the back 10-20 yards away from the play nullified a game winning TD for Merrillville.

looks like offensive PI to me.

http://www.hudl.com/v/2BajvM

Was definitely an offensive PI that wasn't called, I still am unsure about that block in the back though. Howard is the real deal. Merrillville can win this game, but have to stay away from mistakes, they gave Valpo that win. This will be a fun game to watch, for sure.

1 hour ago, Da Region said:

Was definitely an offensive PI that wasn't called, I still am unsure about that block in the back though. Howard is the real deal. Merrillville can win this game, but have to stay away from mistakes, they gave Valpo that win. This will be a fun game to watch, for sure.

I don’t see enough from that end zone view to call PI. Looked like 2 guys jockeying for position on a jump ball, and the superior athlete was able to high point the ball. But the IBB should not have been called. A Valpo player ran into the “blocker,” and when he fell forward, he hit another Valpo kid in the back. That’s why you have to see the whole play before you call that foul.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bobref said:

I don’t see enough from that end zone view to call PI. Looked like 2 guys jockeying for position on a jump ball, and the superior athlete was able to high point the ball. But the IBB should not have been called. A Valpo player ran into the “blocker,” and when he fell forward, he hit another Valpo kid in the back. That’s why you have to see the whole play before you call that foul.

It's definitely a tough call and I don't envy the crew that has to make the decision regarding the potential for PI. 

22 minutes ago, Bobref said:

Would an official ever call something because another official didn't make a call? I have never officiated football and envy those that do, just more curious i guess.

2 minutes ago, Da Region said:

Would an official ever call something because another official didn't make a call? I have never officiated football and envy those that do, just more curious i guess.

Da Region-

Please let me share how AWESOME officiating is.  It is a great way to stay involved in the game we all love.  I just completed my first year of football officiating.  I absolutely love it.  If you would like to learn more about becoming an official, please feel free to reach out.  I would love to help and if I do not know an answer, I will find it for you.

Have a great day.

9 minutes ago, Da Region said:

That is a very difficult question to answer in a general sense. In general, if you see a “safety” foul, you call it, whether another official calls it or not, e.g., facemask, horse collar tackle, targeting, etc. The crew members have specific responsibilities and, normally, if you have multiple flags for the same foul you have to wonder if someone is watching something other than their assigned responsibility. But I confess, there have been a few times where I have thrown a flag even though the foul occurred right in front of another official. It’s easy to get blocked out on a play, or just have a bad angle.

Long time Region Sports follower Old Uncle Mark says this in his weekly pick em he does on his website

https://www.usa-365.com/Mr_Picker_Week_11_Football_Picks_10-28-2019.htm

Jefferson (9-0) at Merrillville (8-1):

MERRILLVILLE (11-01-2019)
 The feature game of the night sends unstoppable Jefferson, averaging 55 points a game, to mighty Merrillville, which has lost only 29-28 to undefeated Valparaiso (9-0). Jeff (8-1) is fueled by halfback Marquies Munoz (5-10, 195) and junior quarterback Max Grimes (6-2, 205), who is 104 of 158 for 1,811 yards and 18 TDs. Munoz has run 131 times for 1,206 yards and 24 TDs. The Pirates' defense has allowed just 14 points a game and they have sacked the quarterback 30 times. This game breaks big one way or the other. Jeff scored 74 points on 3A No. 5 West Lafayette (8-2). That’s not a misprint. 74 points. Merrillville can't stop them all night.

Jefferson 42, Merrillville 21

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Boilernation said:

Do Mark and Arredondo still do a weekly show on WFYN? That was must see TV for me in the mid ‘90’s. I can still remember watching Purdue and IU basketball games on WYIN. The Saturday games were typically filled with telethons during commercial breaks.

https://www.facebook.com/lakeshoreprepsports/

Mark Smith has been away from the show for a long time.   Wayne has been co hosting for at least 10 year, maybe more now.   You can check it out on facebook each week if out of the area.  They do post game show too 

1 hour ago, Coach Nowlin said:

https://www.facebook.com/lakeshoreprepsports/

Mark Smith has been away from the show for a long time.   Wayne has been co hosting for at least 10 year, maybe more now.   You can check it out on facebook each week if out of the area.  They do post game show too 

I really miss that show.  We have Hulu and I don’t think it’s available.

Lafayette Urinal & Courier picking against the home team:  https://www.jconline.com/story/sports/blogs/sam-king/2019/11/01/lafayette-area-high-school-football-predictions/4119127002/

Lafayette Jeff (9-0) at Merrillville (8-1)

Two ways to look at this from the Bronchos' perspective. Lafayette Jeff hasn't been in a competitive game in two months. But, Jeff has been so good it has put away bad teams early like it should. Unknown factor is the health of LJ QB Maximus Grimes. Merrillville will be the fastest team Jeff has seen for a long while, if not all season. The short passes that Jeff runs to perfection likely won't be so open against a team with more speed. Should be a fun one. 

Prediction: Merrillville 35, Lafayette Jeff 29

On 10/30/2019 at 3:01 PM, Coach Nowlin said:

Long time Region Sports follower Old Uncle Mark says this in his weekly pick em he does on his website

https://www.usa-365.com/Mr_Picker_Week_11_Football_Picks_10-28-2019.htm

Jefferson (9-0) at Merrillville (8-1):

MERRILLVILLE (11-01-2019)
 The feature game of the night sends unstoppable Jefferson, averaging 55 points a game, to mighty Merrillville, which has lost only 29-28 to undefeated Valparaiso (9-0). Jeff (8-1) is fueled by halfback Marquies Munoz (5-10, 195) and junior quarterback Max Grimes (6-2, 205), who is 104 of 158 for 1,811 yards and 18 TDs. Munoz has run 131 times for 1,206 yards and 24 TDs. The Pirates' defense has allowed just 14 points a game and they have sacked the quarterback 30 times. This game breaks big one way or the other. Jeff scored 74 points on 3A No. 5 West Lafayette (8-2). That’s not a misprint. 74 points. Merrillville can't stop them all night.

Jefferson 42, Merrillville 21

“Unstoppable” L Jefferson earned every one of their 20 points, which is 16 less than their previous low scoring game. Strength of schedule does matter! They would have been better prepared if they were still in the HCC (don’t tell DT I said that!).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, slice60 said:

I heard that LJ QB Max Grimes hurt his knee on the final play of the 1st half & did not return. Can anybody confirm that?

Confirmed 

On 10/29/2019 at 2:19 PM, Coach Nowlin said:

I am rooting for former Bomber HC Shanley but I would be shocked if they got into the 50s.    I am sure he just wants 1 more point than the Pirates, nothing more, nothing less 

Like I said......

Figured it would be a low scoring affair.   Rightfully so when 2 teams with great athletes and coaches get together.  

Hats off to the Pirates, played a better game overall and got the W.  

Now onto CP who Pirates had to go to OT to win earlier in the year.