Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

'Not in the position to crucify': Indiana school accepts 'Papa John' Schnatter's donation

https://www.indystar.com/story/news/local/indiana/clark/2019/10/16/papa-johns-founder-gives-500-k-donation-jeffersonville-high-school/3995408002/

In spite of some controversy surrounding John Schnatter, the Greater Clark County Schools Board accepted a $500,000 donation from the founder and embattled former CEO of Papa John's to his alma mater, Jeffersonville High School.

The money, coming from the John H. Schnatter Family Foundation, will be put toward adding a new turf infield and outfield fence to the school's baseball stadium. The complex will be renamed to John H. Schnatter Stadium.

Schnatter fell from grace last year after he used a racial slur on a conference call, resulting in him being ousted by his former company. And while other groups have tried to move away from the Jeffersonville native, school board president Katie Hutchinson said "we're not in the position to crucify anyone."

“We were excited that he wanted to give to our kids, and our kids deserve that," Hutchinson said. "We thought that it was a great opportunity to show that you can overcome mistakes, so we were glad to work with (Schnatter) on this.”

But not everyone has been so forgiving. Shortly after Schnatter admitted to making his offensive comment, Jeffersonville Mayor Mike Moore removed the Papa John's founder's name from the city's basketball gym. Moore then later doubled down as he returned the money Schnatter had donated to have his name appear on the gym.

Big controversy brewing in Jeffersonville?

• Disdain 1

As someone from a few miles up the road from Jeff.....no, don't think there will be any drama to this,

His $$ spends like anyone else's     School board already took it, the school is already spending it.

Just an alumnus taking care of his school and the team he played for.   He just gave a couple of million

to a HBCU in Louisville a couple of months ago, who gratefully said "thanks".

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dmizers3 said:

Not to be a jerk but I'm not sure this is the place for this post.  A topic worth discussing for sure, but its bound to get political and become a discussion that isn't about sports.

Politics?!?  Oh boy, oh boy,  oh boy!!!  I’m more about go routes, punts, and zone blitzes in here than immigration, impeachment, and witch hunts...

Look, I get it: we all think we know what’s best for the world.  But that’s not why I post here and I don’t think that was the intent of the good folks who began these forums...

2 hours ago, Impartial_Observer said:

Didn’t Jeff return another donation a couple of years back when the story broke? 
Good for Pappa John, giving back. 

The city of Jeff gave back money that was donated to the old Jeff Fieldhouse, not the court and gym at Jeff High.