Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Sectional 40

3 minutes ago, Miner_Pride said:

I really appreciate the kind words.  Me and Darren work pretty seamless.  I had a ton of fun with JP on the air though.. never knew what he was gonna say.  he had a lot of field knowledge too having been a dang good player in his day.  I needed a delay switch or emergency shut off button sometimes!!!

LOL Yeah JP was "one in a million".  I used to laugh at some of the things he would say.  And yes, he did have a LOT of field knowledge.  Kind words or not, just telling it like it is, brother.  LOL @ delay switch.  I can only imagine!  Have a good broadcast tonight!  By the way, I finished my radiation treatments last Thursday.  Tumor has shrunk by 80%!  Hoping to hear in a couple of weeks that I am back in remission again.  Safe travels.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Miner_Pride said:

Well I obviously haven't talked much about the Mater Dei / Crawford County.  Not really a lot of ways to say it other than you just hope nobody comes out of this with an injury.  Mater Dei travels to Marengo to face the 1-7 Wolfpack under Jeremy Reynolds in his 2nd year at the helm.  The lone CC win came in week 4's 38-36 win over Rock Creek Academy. They've not been competitive in any other contest, giving up nearly 53 points a game, and being held under 10 offensively--- being shutout 3 times.  Both of those numbers are in the 300's in terms of team rank in state.  Then you draw 7-2 Mater Dei with legendary coach Mike Goebel's 23 year mark of 224-70 in round one.  I suppose the one positive is that the game is a home game for Crawford County.  I know the term "Any Given Night" is always pressed into service in games like this...but this would truly be ESPN mention worthy of an upset.  We all know about who MD plays. We know their 2 defeats came to 5-4 5A Castle 13-0  and 10-3 to 8-1 4A Memorial... those losses by a combined 20 points!  Beating 7-2 3A Indian Creek, 7-2 4A Central and a solid 5-4 5A North team... plus last week's 31-28 win over 4A Reitz... that despite a 3-6 record, would surely scoot through the teams in Sectional 40 easily.  So it's a huge mountain not to mention the foothills that Mater Dei presents to the Wolfpack tonight...and honestly to everyone in Sectional 40.  But...never say never I suppose. 

I can throw numbers out like Sagarin.... Mater Dei by 85.85.  CC's is 317th in the state MD's 65.36 is 5th in 2A. The Wildcats have only played 1 opponent under 3A, that being a normally solid Whiting squad having a down year... I've talked schedule strength already ... enough said there.  Prolly enough said all the way around.  I've never been a coach.. my Dad was... I wonder how you approach a game like this almost on both sides.   Easier of course with MD, just go out and do what you do...and the younger kids will get a lot of playing time, and I'd imagine a running clock to start 2nd half.   For Coach Reynolds...of course nothing to lose...but you still gotta go out an play.    Good luck to both teams and of course a safe night for all on the field, and on the road coming from and going back to Evansville...

This is how we approached tonight's game. We basically did the same thing we had done all season. Most of our kids have never played football before in their lives and the 5 who had, 3 went down early in the season and only 1 made it back. So, we use our practice time trying to make our kids better and get them ready for next season. We basically do the same in the games as well. So for tonight, you will see one kid at RB who has carried the ball very little in his career, and one who had to be moved to RB during the week due to injury. We tried to get our kids ready to play a game this week and not necessarily prepare them to play Mater Dei. We probably haven't said "Mater Dei" in practice but a few times this week. We didn't watch film of Mater Dei as a group because again we have been focusing inward and honestly I didn't think it would do our kids a lot of good to worry about the differences in our 2 situations. I didn't want my 5-9 120 lb. freshman worrying how he was going to cover that 6-5 210 lb. senior. I wanted him to worry about getting better as a player. Was this the right way to approach the game? Hopefully. If not, at least I thought it was the best way to do it.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, JQWL said:

This is how we approached tonight's game. We basically did the same thing we had done all season. Most of our kids have never played football before in their lives and the 5 who had, 3 went down early in the season and only 1 made it back. So, we use our practice time trying to make our kids better and get them ready for next season. We basically do the same in the games as well. So for tonight, you will see one kid at RB who has carried the ball very little in his career, and one who had to be moved to RB during the week due to injury. We tried to get our kids ready to play a game this week and not necessarily prepare them to play Mater Dei. We probably haven't said "Mater Dei" in practice but a few times this week. We didn't watch film of Mater Dei as a group because again we have been focusing inward and honestly I didn't think it would do our kids a lot of good to worry about the differences in our 2 situations. I didn't want my 5-9 120 lb. freshman worrying how he was going to cover that 6-5 210 lb. senior. I wanted him to worry about getting better as a player. Was this the right way to approach the game? Hopefully. If not, at least I thought it was the best way to do it.

Excellent Coach!  Glad to hear from you.  Course I know you'll coach it up..as I know you from the Valley days....Obviously a game like this is tough... but I think your kids certainly will benefit in playing MD...and it will make them better down the road.   Best of luck to you....

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, JQWL said:

Great way to go about it. If i have any advice to those CC kids, it is to have fun tonight... Learn from their opponents, watch their line and how they play. The discipline of a top tier program like Mater Dei is really fun to watch. Obviously, go out there and play hard, but like you said, focus on getting better play-by-play. Good Luck tonight coach.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, itiswhatitis said:

Thanks for the info.  Yeah no room for parking would be a sticky issue.  How does that work?  How does tax payer's money fund a private school's football field?  Not being a jerk I honestly don't know.

Just to clarify, I believe he was speaking of his tax money paying for Reitz Bowl. Reitz High School (Francis Joseph Reitz High School) is a public school and The bowl is their home field. Easy to confuse with Reitz Memorial High School (known as just Memorial) which is a Catholic School same as Mater Dei.

43 minutes ago, Cappy said:

Just to clarify, I believe he was speaking of his tax money paying for Reitz Bowl. Reitz High School (Francis Joseph Reitz High School) is a public school and The bowl is their home field. Easy to confuse with Reitz Memorial High School (known as just Memorial) which is a Catholic School same as Mater Dei.

Are you making the trip to Linton Cappy?  If So.. be safe!!  The roads are all clear thru Vincennes up 67 to Sandborn, and up 59!!!   I'll be in the press booth which is in the middle of the visitor section!! LOL! 

44 minutes ago, Miner_Pride said:

Are you making the trip to Linton Cappy?  If So.. be safe!!  The roads are all clear thru Vincennes up 67 to Sandborn, and up 59!!!   I'll be in the press booth which is in the middle of the visitor section!! LOL! 

Yes, I’ll be the guy doing virtually nothing on the sideline. Have to know your role! 😂

Edited by Cappy

1 hour ago, Cappy said:

I see.  Too many schools in Evansville to keep track of!  LOL  And now 2 of them with practically the same name?  I REALLY need "help" now.  And thanks for that clarification.

South Spencer taking advantage of the NK pass coverage.

NK has been unspottable on offense but giving up an onside kick and two long pass plays

NK 21-14 halfway through 2nd Q

First play for NK a 64yd TD run 

NK 28-14

Edited by nk140

The Miners defense gave up only 88 yards of total offense to North Posey.  The halftime score was 34 - 0.  We had to wait all of about 30 seconds in the second half to get the running clock.  The Miners received the second half kickoff and started at their 20.  Cash Howard took the handoff and went 80 yards to the house.  Boom!  Running clock.  I thought North Posey would be a tougher game than Providence, but the Miners are playing their best ball of the season now.  Biggest game of the year next week!  But if you wanna be the best you have to beat the best.  Mater Dei is the best team in sectional 40 if not the entire 2A south.