Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Sectional 40

7 hours ago, itiswhatitis said:

Okay.  I 'll have to ask my friend again then.  North Knox home side stands are built into a hillside.  He said that is how Reitz's is as well.  Wasn't implying they are exactly alike.

Reitz 

ReitzBowlPhotos_10.jpg

North Knox

n-knox-fld.jpg

15 hours ago, LawrenceGreene said:

The Reitz Bowl is probably the coolest place I've ever watched a high school game not called LOS.

As far as cool places to see a high school game not called LOS, try Fawcett Stadium in Canton, Ohio.  Seats 25,000.  Same field they play the Hall of Fame game on since it is next to the Hall Of Fame.

It must suck for Mater Dei to have to play on that field with the big R in the middle.  Always a reminder you have to "borrow" a football field.  Why doesn't Mater Dei have their own?  Is it a real estate issue?

8 minutes ago, LawrenceGreene said:

Yeah, but does NK play soccer on their field?  They may win by default.....no yellow lines.

Okay, okay.  You've all had your fun.  Both stadiums are built into hill sides.  I would think it's a given that Reitz has a MUCH superior facility and now you've proved it.  North Knox is still a cool place to watch a game from on the home side.  It's high above the field and you can see all of the plays developing.  Geez I've been to small college games that didn't have as nice of field as Reitz High School.  Money, money, money.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, itiswhatitis said:

As far as cool places to see a high school game not called LOS, try Fawcett Stadium in Canton, Ohio.  Seats 25,000.  Same field they play the Hall of Fame game on since it is next to the Hall Of Fame.

It must suck for Mater Dei to have to play on that field with the big R in the middle.  Always a reminder you have to "borrow" a football field.  Why doesn't Mater Dei have their own?  Is it a real estate issue?

Mater Dei has a turf practice field, and probably enough room for the stadium. Hard to turn down the ability to use one of the best stadiums and atmospheres in the Midwest 

32 minutes ago, Cappy said:

Mater Dei has a turf practice field, and probably enough room for the stadium. Hard to turn down the ability to use one of the best stadiums and atmospheres in the Midwest 

Still I'd think they'd feel like the "little brother" having to play on another field.  I had heard (and you know how rumors are) they didn't have enough land to build a stadium at MD.  You know how that has happened before:  they build a school and then after the fact find out they can't get more land for a stadium.  It happened to my old high school in Ohio. A few years ago they built a new school and still have to play their football games 3 miles away on the old field/stadium at the old school location.  Not enough land for a new stadium where the new school is located.  The land that is there and available is in a flood plain.  LOL  the other usable land is NOT for sale.  By the way, Reitz does have the appearance of a very nice facility.

14 minutes ago, eschnur66 said:

Here is an atmosphere for you!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brzGsG32hkI

Interesting you posted that....that’s the exact game I attended.  If memory serves me, Reitz had 12 guys on the field on that last score (or a couple plays leading up to it), and it was never flagged. 

Edited by LawrenceGreene

13 hours ago, Moonshiners said:

Reitz Bowl is the best...I would suggest everyone to at least experience it once.  Enlow field is cool too, but it can only be Lex Luger. The bowl will always be Sting.

But if it's raining.....

Well I obviously haven't talked much about the Mater Dei / Crawford County.  Not really a lot of ways to say it other than you just hope nobody comes out of this with an injury.  Mater Dei travels to Marengo to face the 1-7 Wolfpack under Jeremy Reynolds in his 2nd year at the helm.  The lone CC win came in week 4's 38-36 win over Rock Creek Academy. They've not been competitive in any other contest, giving up nearly 53 points a game, and being held under 10 offensively--- being shutout 3 times.  Both of those numbers are in the 300's in terms of team rank in state.  Then you draw 7-2 Mater Dei with legendary coach Mike Goebel's 23 year mark of 224-70 in round one.  I suppose the one positive is that the game is a home game for Crawford County.  I know the term "Any Given Night" is always pressed into service in games like this...but this would truly be ESPN mention worthy of an upset.  We all know about who MD plays. We know their 2 defeats came to 5-4 5A Castle 13-0  and 10-3 to 8-1 4A Memorial... those losses by a combined 20 points!  Beating 7-2 3A Indian Creek, 7-2 4A Central and a solid 5-4 5A North team... plus last week's 31-28 win over 4A Reitz... that despite a 3-6 record, would surely scoot through the teams in Sectional 40 easily.  So it's a huge mountain not to mention the foothills that Mater Dei presents to the Wolfpack tonight...and honestly to everyone in Sectional 40.  But...never say never I suppose. 

I can throw numbers out like Sagarin.... Mater Dei by 85.85.  CC's is 317th in the state MD's 65.36 is 5th in 2A. The Wildcats have only played 1 opponent under 3A, that being a normally solid Whiting squad having a down year... I've talked schedule strength already ... enough said there.  Prolly enough said all the way around.  I've never been a coach.. my Dad was... I wonder how you approach a game like this almost on both sides.   Easier of course with MD, just go out and do what you do...and the younger kids will get a lot of playing time, and I'd imagine a running clock to start 2nd half.   For Coach Reynolds...of course nothing to lose...but you still gotta go out an play.    Good luck to both teams and of course a safe night for all on the field, and on the road coming from and going back to Evansville...

4 hours ago, LawrenceGreene said:

Yeah, but does NK play soccer on their field?  They may win by default.....no yellow lines.

Have to agree with you on that.  Defacing beautiful football fields with those ugly soccer lines is a horrible practice.

I can almost guarantee NK has an advantage over the Reitz Bowl in the lighting department as well.  My grandma's 78 Buick has brighter lights than the NW end of the Bowl.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, oldtimeqb said:

Have to agree with you on that.  Defacing beautiful football fields with those ugly soccer lines is a horrible practice.

I can almost guarantee NK has an advantage over the Reitz Bowl in the lighting department as well.  My grandma's 78 Buick has brighter lights than the NW end of the Bowl.  

And speaking of lighting and grandma's Buick - the first ever night time football game in the state of Indiana was held at Jasonville, Indiana.  They don't even have a football team any more.  The cars lined up along the sidelines and turned on their headlights to light the field so they could play the game!  True story!  There is a plaque on the site commemorating the event.  I have to wonder how many of those cars had to be jumped after the game because their batteries ran down?   LOL

1 minute ago, itiswhatitis said:

And speaking of lighting and grandma's Buick - the first ever night time football game in the state of Indiana was held at Jasonville, Indiana.  They don't even have a football team any more.  The cars lined up along the sidelines and turned on their headlights to light the field so they could play the game!  True story!  There is a plaque on the site commemorating the event.  I have to wonder how many of those cars had to be jumped after the game because their batteries ran down?   LOL

the Yellow Jackets as I recall... not that I was there!   They tried to bring football back....

1 minute ago, Miner_Pride said:

the Yellow Jackets as I recall... not that I was there!   They tried to bring football back....

Don't remember what they were called or even who they played that night and can't even remember it it's on the plaque.  LOL  Just thought it was cool that little Jasonville had that distinction.

Miner Pride - PLEASE tell me that Darren is doing the game tonight!  Last week was rather weak..  Whoever was sitting in for Darren wasn't giving down and distance after a play was over.  Was hard to keep track of what was going on.  LOL

10 minutes ago, itiswhatitis said:

Don't remember what they were called or even who they played that night and can't even remember it it's on the plaque.  LOL  Just thought it was cool that little Jasonville had that distinction.

Miner Pride - PLEASE tell me that Darren is doing the game tonight!  Last week was rather weak..  Whoever was sitting in for Darren wasn't giving down and distance after a play was over.  Was hard to keep track of what was going on.  LOL

yeah... he's back in the saddle.  It's always hard to have someone come in who really doesn't do football.... He's done some basketball... and sat in last year one week for football.  At the beginning I don't think we discussed who was doing what LOL... then I sorta realized I was gonna start doing play by play.. which is hard keeping stats at same time.   You realize how good Darren is.. and how good we work together... whenever he isn't there.  But I do thank Greg to stepping in there.. I didn't want to do it by myself.. the old voice can't hang LOL!   Should have gotten JP in there for old time's sake LOL.. but he does the clock these days in the big boy booth!

1 minute ago, Miner_Pride said:

yeah... he's back in the saddle.  It's always hard to have someone come in who really doesn't do football.... He's done some basketball... and sat in last year one week for football.  At the beginning I don't think we discussed who was doing what LOL... then I sorta realized I was gonna start doing play by play.. which is hard keeping stats at same time.   You realize how good Darren is.. and how good we work together... whenever he isn't there.  But I do thank Greg to stepping in there.. I didn't want to do it by myself.. the old voice can't hang LOL!   Should have gotten JP in there for old time's sake LOL.. but he does the clock these days in the big boy booth!

Yeah I remember those days:  JP and you.  Loved his "bone crusher" award he would give out at the end of games.  Darren is really good at play by play.  He is good at football AND basketball.  The two of you work well together.  Friday nights aren't the same without the "team" on the airwaves doing Miner Football.

5 hours ago, itiswhatitis said:

The biggest reason MD does not host games at their field is little to no parking in the vicinity.  There are barely enough spaces for 500+ kids, teachers and staff on a daily basis. There would be no way to accommodate 5,000 fans, which is not out of the question for MD home games against a quality opponent.  However, even if you built a stadium, it would pale in comparison to the Bowl.  btw - as tax payers, we don't have to "borrow" the bowl, we pay for it already.  

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, MDAlum82 said:

The biggest reason MD does not host games at their field is little to no parking in the vicinity.  There are barely enough spaces for 500+ kids, teachers and staff on a daily basis. There would be no way to accommodate 5,000 fans, which is not out of the question for MD home games against a quality opponent.  However, even if you built a stadium, it would pale in comparison to the Bowl.  btw - as tax payers, we don't have to "borrow" the bowl, we pay for it already.  

Thanks for the info.  Yeah no room for parking would be a sticky issue.  How does that work?  How does tax payer's money fund a private school's football field?  Not being a jerk I honestly don't know.

1 hour ago, itiswhatitis said:

Yeah I remember those days:  JP and you.  Loved his "bone crusher" award he would give out at the end of games.  Darren is really good at play by play.  He is good at football AND basketball.  The two of you work well together.  Friday nights aren't the same without the "team" on the airwaves doing Miner Football.

I really appreciate the kind words.  Me and Darren work pretty seamless.  I had a ton of fun with JP on the air though.. never knew what he was gonna say.  he had a lot of field knowledge too having been a dang good player in his day.  I needed a delay switch or emergency shut off button sometimes!!!

52 minutes ago, MDAlum82 said:

I agree 1000%