Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Would you support GID conversion to $20 annual fee paysite?

Guest DT

21 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

Thank you.

Are moderators voting members of GID brain trust?  Or only the five administrators, one of whom according that page has yet to login to the new GID?

Actually, Voting By Laws that have been established by the "brain trust" are so well hidden that I am not sure I can resurrect them, they are THAT privileged 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, DT said:

There is no attempt here to storm the gates, conduct a military coup, or otherwise overthrow the braintrust of The GID.

I simply see this point in time as a pivot point for The Digest.

Given the shutdown, significant loss of membership, and new cost burdens associated with the hardware and software makeovers, all options should be considered.

Should the site go the pay route, I would consider being an investor, as long as there is potential ROI to be realized at some point.

But that takes strategic business and marketing oriented thinking, which I have in abundant supply.

Just my 2 cents worth.  I figure after 15 years and tens of thousands of posts, I've earned the right.  😀

Dude, it’s an interenet forum, we’re not launching a new retail store in Circle Center. 

• Haha 3
  • Disdain 1

4 hours ago, DT said:

There is no attempt here to storm the gates, conduct a military coup, or otherwise overthrow the braintrust of The GID.

I simply see this point in time as a pivot point for The Digest.

Given the shutdown, significant loss of membership, and new cost burdens associated with the hardware and software makeovers, all options should be considered.

Should the site go the pay route, I would consider being an investor, as long as there is potential ROI to be realized at some point.

But that takes strategic business and marketing oriented thinking, which I have in abundant supply.

Just my 2 cents worth.  I figure after 15 years and tens of thousands of posts, I've earned the right.  😀

Where was that strategic business and marketing oriented thinking when you ran your own Indiana high school football forum? It was not around for long. How long exactly did it last before you closed it down? 

• Haha 3
  • Disdain 2

11 hours ago, sr1 said:

Where was that strategic business and marketing oriented thinking when you ran your own Indiana high school football forum? It was not around for long. How long exactly did it last before you closed it down? 

I believe we were up for approx 6 months.  Peaked around 500 members.  Was unable to monetize the site relative to developing revenue streams so decided to shut it down.  I don't work for free.  

9 hours ago, gonzoron said:

citation needed. Link to the posts?

My original post portfolio was permanently deleted following multiple bannings from the site

Subsequent post content was lost during prior shutdowns

1 hour ago, DT said:

I believe we were up for approx 6 months.  Peaked around 500 members.  Was unable to monetize the site relative to developing revenue streams so decided to shut it down.  I don't work for free.  

Do you get paid to post on the GID. If not, I would definitely stop.

• Thanks 3
  • Haha 2
  • Disdain 1

5 hours ago, DT said:

And negative press about your site was spread by a number of GID and pro-pp zealots in an attempt to smear you.   I remember those days.

• Haha 1
  • Disdain 3

3 hours ago, gonzoron said:

It was lost before you posted it? No wonder we didn't see all those tens of thousands of posts.

DT certainly had more posts with actual content that you did, Gonzo.  And I believe him when he says that counting the prior two iterations of the GID his post count was 10k+.  I'm pretty sure my count was in the 14k range.    Pity that the GID technical support team didn't put any priority on actually backing up the GID site data from time to time.

• Thanks 1
  • Disdain 4

18 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

DT certainly had more posts with actual content that you did, Gonzo

I haven't seen them, but I don't really care if someone has posted more than me or not. Please explain why you think this is relevant.

20 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

And I believe him when he says that counting the prior two iterations of the GID his post count was 10k+.

Again, I haven't seen that many. Must have been prior to 2010. No way to prove or disprove at this point.

21 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

Pity that the GID technical support team didn't put any priority on actually backing up the GID site data from time to time.

They must have been educated in government schools. A true IT professional educated in private schools should have been in charge of archiving. Know any?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, TrojanDad said:

Curious DT...why not allow the Admin's to make the case to convert GID to a mandatory fee site?  I don't see them doing this....not sure why you are getting in this game.  Bored?

I found the self pat on the back for your strategic business and marketing oriented thinking so darn inspirational!  I myself have an abundant supply of pure athleticism and amazing looks......

They are not a progressive, forward thinking group by nature.

And that's OK.  They feel compelled to honor TAs legacy, and I applaud their efforts.  

I believe we should evolve with the times,  and as a hard core capitalist, I will always err on the side of profit.

But that's just me.

😀

5 hours ago, TrojanDad said:

OK...that's fair.  A visionary market driven guy.  I like that.

Honest question...is GID a for profit organization?  I have no idea.

Given the preponderance of ads now on the site, they just might be.

😀

8 hours ago, DT said:

Perhaps Im getting special treatment

Ads are there.....maybe we arent the ones getting special treatment. Haha. I'm just waiting for that donation period to kiss these things goodbye. 

19 hours ago, gonzoron said:

I haven't seen them, but I don't really care if someone has posted more than me or not. Please explain why you think this is relevant.

It's not.  You are the one who seems to think it is relevant, given your questioning of DT's assertion.

19 hours ago, gonzoron said:

They must have been educated in government schools. A true IT professional educated in private schools should have been in charge of archiving. Know any?

An IT professional educated in a private school?  Yes, I know several.  Do you know any?

• Disdain 1

8 hours ago, gonzoron said:

Haven't seen any.

Must be running an ad blocker in your browser, or the ad sites are being blocked at the ISP/network level.  

Has the GID technical staff re-enabled no ads for GID members that have donated here on the new site?

• Disdain 1

My main question is, if the GID is converted to a paysite, will the $20 be simply for posters or for everyone? I'm not an administrator, but I've gathered over my years on this site that a large amount of this site's traffic comes from "guests" or non members, AKA players coaches, fans, parents etc who are checking out what the chatter is.

I'm not against charging a "poster" fee in principal. I believe though that the website will be low on content. If the website turns into pay only to view and post, the GID will fold and/or slip into irrevelency within a year.

Remember that TA didn't do this for profit. He wanted to share his love of football with everyone. If we make this website "for profit" it will become an abomination of the creator's original vision.

• Thanks 1

I would be willing to pay $20 a year mandatory to have this place to share and argue... But I'd hope that most of us would be donating at least that amount each year to help offset the costs that will only continue to rise year by year...  I know TA's vision, and that there is loyalty to that idea... and it is cool that it's free and open to anyone to post at any time... even if that creates some drama sometimes.... but we all like a little drama!   I just hope that anyone who can...makes the donations every year that easily clear the costs so we can keep this going on and on... seems like some years it's 4th and 2 in terms of donations... we need to keep the chains moving!!

• Like 1