Head Coach Openings 2024 ×

Would you support GID conversion to $20 annual fee paysite?

Guest DT

6 hours ago, AG said:

I'm a 29 year old millennial, but I typically don't care much about convenience. I care about getting the best deal possible. I'll pass on paying $20 for a website that has little to no traffic.

Great point.  And hilites a huge challenge for the GID.  The Millenials need to step up and take the baton from the aging veterans and provide some fresh new content to rejuvenate this site and bring it back to relevance.  Is there another young DT out there ready to stir things up?  Is there another Muda ready to challenge the status quo?  Is there a PP zealot ready to fill the void left by RebelDad, TW, Stryker and The Horde?  

5 minutes ago, sr1 said:

Then you must have missed where I asked "How much were you charging for a membership at that site?" in reference to the website you ran.

We charged nothing.  The model was based on projected advertising and sponsorship revenue, which did not pan out.

On 2/4/2019 at 12:43 PM, indycoach10 said:

Another alternative to Harrell's board is starting a subreddit on reddit which is the worlds largest forum which also happens to be ... free.

Just no.  If you think Harrell's is a cesspool the shear amount of trolling and sh*tposting on reddit would make your head spin.

7 hours ago, DT said:

The Millenials need to step up and take the baton from the aging veterans and provide some fresh new content to rejuvenate this site and bring it back to relevance.  Is there another young DT out there ready to stir things up?  Is there another Muda ready to challenge the status quo?  Is there a PP zealot ready to fill the void left by RebelDad, TW, Stryker and The Horde?  

Many of, if not the most active posters in the NLC/NECC threads (and I'm sure many more) are guys around my age (under 40). 

Us under 40 guys also seem to re-affirm our appreciation of the GID by voluntarily donating to the cause with our wallets and keyboards year in and year out. 

I'm willing to bet that our support would significantly drop off if this place were to become less active due to a paywall. (seems to only be a viable in you/Muda's fantasy world)

I spend most of my free time on Reddit on the Colts sub (among others), and if there wasn't already a free place to openly discuss Indiana High School Football, Reddit would serve that purpose as one of our other posters mentioned.

• Like 1

On 2/4/2019 at 1:59 PM, DT said:

I was referring to media sites in general.

I can no longer access news from the following media sources due to the presence of a paywall :

South Bend Tribune

Lafayette Journal Courier

Indy Star

Chicago tribune

Northwest Indiana Times

Daily Journal of Johnson County (The Center Grove Times)  LOL

I chose not to subscribe to any of these as they are too narrow in focus.  I want something with broader coverage.

A lot these you can just go and clear your browser cookies for that site and voila!, you have another 5-10 articles you can view.

In Chrome go to Settings-->Advanced-->Content Settings-->Cookies-->See all cookies and site data.   Then simply search for the site(s) cookies you want to removed and hit the "Remove All" button.

In fact just did this a few minutes ago for the Lafayette Urinal & Courier, and Indianapolis Star sites.

• Disdain 1

8 hours ago, DT said:

Is there another young DT out there ready to stir things up?  Is there another Muda ready to challenge the status quo?  Is there a PP zealot ready to fill the void left by RebelDad, TW, Stryker and The Horde?  

Ahh, those were the days.   And with the benevolent TA looking out for it all.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

A lot these you can just go and clear your browser cookies for that site and voila!, you have another 5-10 articles you can view.

In Chrome go to Settings-->Advanced-->Content Settings-->Cookies-->See all cookies and site data.   Then simply search for the site(s) cookies you want to removed and hit the "Remove All" button.

In fact just did this a few minutes ago for the Lafayette Urinal & Courier, and Indianapolis Star sites.

?

Lots of interesting debate and valid points for the pros & cons of going to a pay site.  When I first found this forum I was a lurker, and now probably more of a topic guy than a conference thread guy since there's not much ACAC content here.  However I do post there and also on the SAC threads .

Edited by Bonecrusher
  • Like 1

I would hate to see this site go to a pay site.  I'm happy to donate now, but I think there are a lot like me who will lurk and post only once in a while.  Youth and high school football in Indiana is driven by volunteers.  Yes, there are paid coaches at the high school level, but for the most part it's peanuts.  Assistants, parents, players, boosters, youth coaches, etc.... none of us are in this for the money or for profit.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, slicer28 said:

I would hate to see this site go to a pay site.  I'm happy to donate now, but I think there are a lot like me who will lurk and post only once in a while.  Youth and high school football in Indiana is driven by volunteers.  Yes, there are paid coaches at the high school level, but for the most part it's peanuts.  Assistants, parents, players, boosters, youth coaches, etc.... none of us are in this for the money or for profit.

Good points.

However, I have to ask myself

Why would the GID brass go to all that trouble, and all that expense,  replacing a server and rebooting this site, for a measly 500 members?

Is there a strategy in place that is designed to recruit new members and reenlist prior members?

Perhaps an email campaign?  

Just seems odd.  The expense and the post crash membership realities don't quite seem to be in alignment.

1 hour ago, indycoach10 said:

If the GID went to being a paysite? Absolutely. 

Again. I strongly disagree that GID conference thread followers will take their business elsewhere en masse were the GID to go pay only.  Just don't see it happening.  Look at the measley numbers we have here post crash.  People will throw in the towel rather than try to move their sub community to another site.  

Lots of people in Gibson County read this site in-season...lots.  Probably mostly lurkers and even more that never even bother with a user name.  Making this a pay site will IMO kill that.  I continually hear from folks in the stands on Friday night that I am certain don't have a user name, "Hey, saw how you put those SIAC guys in their place on GID, that was awesome".  Multiple comments that indicate this web forum creates a dialogue around the state beyond what is actually typed into threads here.  That outside dialog is invaluable in terms of promoting our sport and my guess is exactly what Tim intended. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Titan32 said:

Lots of people in Gibson County read this site in-season...lots.  Probably mostly lurkers and even more that never even bother with a user name.  Making this a pay site will IMO kill that.  I continually hear from folks in the stands on Friday night that I am certain don't have a user name, "Hey, saw how you put those SIAC guys in their place on GID, that was awesome".  Multiple comments that indicate this web forum creates a dialogue around the state beyond what is actually typed into threads here.  That outside dialog is invaluable in terms of promoting our sport and my guess is exactly what Tim intended. 

Ditto ... I've often heard folks quote something from GID and share it with folks in the stands.  Those comments range from stats, to general info about teams/players, to direct quotes from GID posters going after each other.  It certainly contributes to the bigger community beyond the online community.

2 hours ago, DT said:

Why would the GID brass go to all that trouble, and all that expense,  replacing a server and rebooting this site, for a measly 500 members?

I assume that the "GID brass" did it for the same reason I volunteer to coach youth football, serve on youth organization boards and to work varsity games on Friday nights; they love this game and believe in its value.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Bonecrusher said:

Lots of interesting debate and valid points for the pros & cons of going to a pay site.  When I first found this forum I was a lurker, and now probably more of a topic guy than a conference thread guy since there's not much ACAC content here.  However I do post there and also on the SAC threads .

So the fact that I no longer live in Indiana, and that my kids have all graduated and are no longer playing, initially made it difficult for me to look favorably on this being a pay site - unless the forum was in danger of going away.  Since I've been around I really enjoy keeping up with a sport I love and how the schools I have interest in are doing.

No one is forcing me to visit this site.  If that were the case I'd be 100% against paying, be it forced or voluntary.  Rather, I'm here on my own will and choosing.  If I'm benefiting from information or services provided, which is the case, it only seems right to me to help out.  I believe if enough people were inclined to do this, there wouldn't be the need to even consider making it a pay site.  I'm on a couple football forums down here, and donate already.  Not sure why I never thought about it until now with this website.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, indycoach10 said:

I'd be curious of what the typical offseason dropoff is vs. the post shutdown dropoff. If memory serves right, the site usually falls drastically in traffic during the off season and picks way back up during the season. So, these "measley" numbers could just be a product of the offseason as much as the post crash, or both. 

The bigger issue here is the current member count of 500 and whether or not it will recover to anywhere near pre crash levels

I literally had 10 people reach out to me asking why their log ins do not work anymore in the last 2 weeks, they will get around to signing back in. 

Will it ever be the same as it once was during the heyday of the Holy Wars of GID, I would say probably not, why, as I have stated, the digital world we live in has transformed message boards from the go to place to the if I want to go to place.   The go to places are for information 1st has been Facebook, Twitter.   

Me personally speaking see ZERO issues.   

So lets say the forum stays at 500 members come August, then our community is 500 members, still will cost you $0.00  whether there was 500 members or 5000 members.  

FYI:   I am a twitter fella:   Have access to GID twitter account:   https://twitter.com/?logout=1549488372455

8000 followers :       Hmmmmmmmmm

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

I literally had 10 people reach out to me asking why their log ins do not work anymore in the last 2 weeks, they will get around to signing back in. 

Will it ever be the same as it once was during the heyday of the Holy Wars of GID, I would say probably not, why, as I have stated, the digital world we live in has transformed message boards from the go to place to the if I want to go to place.   The go to places are for information 1st has been Facebook, Twitter.   

Me personally speaking see ZERO issues.   

So lets say the forum stays at 500 members come August, then our community is 500 members, still will cost you $0.00  whether there was 500 members or 5000 members.  

FYI:   I am a twitter fella:   Have access to GID twitter account:   https://twitter.com/?logout=1549488372455

8000 followers :       Hmmmmmmmmm

Are they active?   

8 hours ago, DT said:

Again. I strongly disagree that GID conference thread followers will take their business elsewhere en masse were the GID to go pay only.  Just don't see it happening.  Look at the measley numbers we have here post crash.  People will throw in the towel rather than try to move their sub community to another site.  

The measly numbers are to be expected. The site traffic goes down significantly in the off-season. I bet that a large amount of posters aren't even aware that the site even crashed and rebooted.

• Like 2