Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Would you support GID conversion to $20 annual fee paysite?

Guest DT

8 hours ago, Bonecrusher said:

So the fact that I no longer live in Indiana, and that my kids have all graduated and are no longer playing, initially made it difficult for me to look favorably on this being a pay site - unless the forum was in danger of going away.  Since I've been around I really enjoy keeping up with a sport I love and how the schools I have interest in are doing.

No one is forcing me to visit this site.  If that were the case I'd be 100% against paying, be it forced or voluntary.  Rather, I'm here on my own will and choosing.  If I'm benefiting from information or services provided, which is the case, it only seems right to me to help out.  I believe if enough people were inclined to do this, there wouldn't be the need to even consider making it a pay site.  I'm on a couple football forums down here, and donate already.  Not sure why I never thought about it until now with this website.

I don't think there has been serious consideration to abandoning TA's desire to keep it a free site outside of a couple of personalities.  There is an annual drive for donations and, to my knowledge, it raises enough or close to enough to never make the serious thought of a pay site enter into the admins' minds.

1 hour ago, AG said:

The measly numbers are to be expected. The site traffic goes down significantly in the off-season. I bet that a large amount of posters aren't even aware that the site even crashed and rebooted.

Agreed.  You can sometimes see the ebb start as soon as some teams are eliminated from the post-season tourney and many mothball their accounts on Saturday night of the finals; especially if they didn't have a dog in the fight.  This is actually the second year that I think I remained active through to this point after the finals, but in the past, when football season was over, my time on GID fell off until usually August of the next season.  I spent the better part of at least six years on GID as a seasonal participant that then mothballed the account for about seven months a year.

9 hours ago, foxbat said:

I don't think there has been serious consideration to abandoning TA's desire to keep it a free site outside of a couple of personalities.  There is an annual drive for donations and, to my knowledge, it raises enough or close to enough to never make the serious thought of a pay site enter into the admins' minds.

Agreed.  You can sometimes see the ebb start as soon as some teams are eliminated from the post-season tourney and many mothball their accounts on Saturday night of the finals; especially if they didn't have a dog in the fight.  This is actually the second year that I think I remained active through to this point after the finals, but in the past, when football season was over, my time on GID fell off until usually August of the next season.  I spent the better part of at least six years on GID as a seasonal participant that then mothballed the account for about seven months a year.

I normally check out the forum twice a week or so in the deep off-season, which I consider around now until July when the season is right around the corner. I'm normally active in the out of bounds section year round. 

On 2/1/2019 at 2:05 PM, DT said:

There is no attempt here to storm the gates, conduct a military coup, or otherwise overthrow the braintrust of The GID.

I simply see this point in time as a pivot point for The Digest.

Given the shutdown, significant loss of membership, and new cost burdens associated with the hardware and software makeovers, all options should be considered.

Should the site go the pay route, I would consider being an investor, as long as there is potential ROI to be realized at some point.

But that takes strategic business and marketing oriented thinking, which I have in abundant supply.

Just my 2 cents worth.  I figure after 15 years and tens of thousands of posts, I've earned the right.  😀

How many of those tens of thousands are QUALITY posts?  I'd guess maybe 19 or 20.  I've been a free-loader the last 3 or 4 years. I'd be willing to contribute $10/year for seasonal coverage, July-Dec.

• Haha 1
  • Disdain 1

21 hours ago, Coach Nowlin said:

I literally had 10 people reach out to me asking why their log ins do not work anymore in the last 2 weeks, they will get around to signing back in. 

Will it ever be the same as it once was during the heyday of the Holy Wars of GID, I would say probably not, why, as I have stated, the digital world we live in has transformed message boards from the go to place to the if I want to go to place.   The go to places are for information 1st has been Facebook, Twitter.   

Me personally speaking see ZERO issues.   

So lets say the forum stays at 500 members come August, then our community is 500 members, still will cost you $0.00  whether there was 500 members or 5000 members.  

FYI:   I am a twitter fella:   Have access to GID twitter account:   https://twitter.com/?logout=1549488372455

8000 followers :       Hmmmmmmmmm

I have faith that GID Nation will be back in full force this upcoming season.

3 minutes ago, Impartial_Observer said:

Why do you keep downstroking me Muda? The market sorted it out, I thought you were a capitalist?

Response shaming you?  😂

17 hours ago, foxbat said:

You can sometimes see the ebb start as soon as some teams are eliminated from the post-season tourney

This is the case for most. However, I JOINED the site the week after my school was eliminated............and promptly made a fool of myself. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

when we get to that point that is the desired mode of donations:   there was a snail mail option as well

but again, we are worried about that down the road........

I repeat, this is all just conjecture by 1 guy.......  a guy has no skin in the game mind you .   Just remember that.   

But hey its got 6 pages of views and responses......   

• Like 4

On 2/8/2019 at 10:22 AM, Coach Nowlin said:

when we get to that point that is the desired mode of donations:   there was a snail mail option as well

but again, we are worried about that down the road........

I repeat, this is all just conjecture by 1 guy.......  a guy has no skin in the game mind you .   Just remember that.   

But hey its got 6 pages of views and responses......   

As a financial and content contributor to this site, I would say I have plenty of skin in the game.

Shame on you.  

5 hours ago, DT said:

As a financial and content contributor to this site, I would say I have plenty of skin in the game.

Shame on you.  

It must be pretty important to you since you posted about it at 1 AM.

• Haha 1
  • Disdain 1

2 hours ago, Trojanmp52 said:

Here is my two cents

I think it should stay free site.  But if you want to make it paysite it should be free to read but, if you want to post or start topics then you have to pay  small fee for the year

Good plan

On 2/9/2019 at 11:50 PM, DT said:

Shame on you.  

shame away

However

Your voice counts the same as the other members not on the site's leadership team, so yes, your opinion carries the same weight as does @Muda69 @Impartial_Observer @TrojanDad @DannEllenwood insert @ XYZ members. 

It does not carry the same weight as https://gridirondigest.net/staff/

Not trying to be difficult, but the idea that anyone is a booster before or has been self appointed content provided gets a voice in decisions made is a fallacy to the greatest degree.   

But keep barking up the tree that won't result to anything more than your self serving , pat on the back mantra of importance 

This place will go on with or without you as seen before.  And NO this is not a threat, just a reality of the situation.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Disdain 1

1 hour ago, Coach Nowlin said:

Your voice counts the same as the other members not on the site's leadership team, so yes, your opinion carries the same weight as does @Muda69 @Impartial_Observer @TrojanDad @DannEllenwood insert @ XYZ members. 

It does not carry the same weight as https://gridirondigest.net/staff/

*ahem*  leadership team? :  

Moderator.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Disdain 1

1 hour ago, Muda69 said:

*ahem*  leadership team? :  

Moderator.jpg

Club Moderation is nothing more than someone who wants to create a cool kids group.   so because you started your "own" club you can moderate it I believe:   However that moderation is restricted to the own created club......  

• Thanks 1