2019 Head Coach Openings Read more... ×
DT

Would you support GID conversion to $20 annual fee paysite?

13 minutes ago, foxbat said:

Vacillating ...

See indycoach10 comment above

Maybe he's right

26 minutes ago, Impartial_Observer said:

@DT For someone who doesn't work for free, you're putting a lot of effort into a discussion that is fruitless.  

Just winding it down.   I like to give a response when asked or challenged.

On ‎1‎/‎31‎/‎2019 at 5:08 PM, DT said:

Please respond with a simple YES or NO.  Then feel free to add any comments

Yes

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, DT said:

Interesting

If a millennial will pay to have McDonalds or Taco Bell delivered to his Moms basement, wont he pay $20 for an annual GID membership?

Just sayin'

Millennials are consistently searching for convenience which is why they will pay for delivery of fast food. In the same way they won't pay $20 for a pay site when there are just as convenient options that also happen to be free.  

• Like 2

15 hours ago, DT said:

Average age of GID members is likely mid 50s 

I don't believe that.

15 hours ago, DT said:

They have no use for those formats

Nor this. I'm over 60, I use all of those except Snapchat. That's only because I'm too old for Snapchat, too young for LifeAlert.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, indycoach10 said:

Millennials are consistently searching for convenience which is why they will pay for delivery of fast food. In the same way they won't pay $20 for a pay site when there are just as convenient options that also happen to be free.  

I'm a 29 year old millennial, but I typically don't care much about convenience. I care about getting the best deal possible. I'll pass on paying $20 for a website that has little to no traffic.

19 minutes ago, AG said:

I'm a 29 year old millennial, but I typically don't care much about convenience. I care about getting the best deal possible. I'll pass on paying $20 for a website that has little to no traffic.

Yeah if the ROI for paying $20 to a football discussion site is reading the musings of one person who thinks every school who has a couple of bad seasons should get rid of football all together and one who believes schools have no business having football teams to begin with let alone build any facilities, I'll definitely pass.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, DT said:

Just winding it down.

Is that wind as in wind like a spring, or wind as in hot air?

• Haha 2
  • Disdain 2

14 hours ago, DT said:

Just winding it down.   I like to give a response when asked or challenged.

Then you must have missed where I asked "How much were you charging for a membership at that site?" in reference to the website you ran.

6 hours ago, AG said:

Great point.  And hilites a huge challenge for the GID.  The Millenials need to step up and take the baton from the aging veterans and provide some fresh new content to rejuvenate this site and bring it back to relevance.  Is there another young DT out there ready to stir things up?  Is there another Muda ready to challenge the status quo?  Is there a PP zealot ready to fill the void left by RebelDad, TW, Stryker and The Horde?  

5 minutes ago, sr1 said:

Then you must have missed where I asked "How much were you charging for a membership at that site?" in reference to the website you ran.

We charged nothing.  The model was based on projected advertising and sponsorship revenue, which did not pan out.

• Like 1

The season is much too long.  Glad it's over.  Time for baseball

• Haha 1

On 2/4/2019 at 12:43 PM, indycoach10 said:

Another alternative to Harrell's board is starting a subreddit on reddit which is the worlds largest forum which also happens to be ... free.

Just no.  If you think Harrell's is a cesspool the shear amount of trolling and sh*tposting on reddit would make your head spin.

7 hours ago, DT said:

The Millenials need to step up and take the baton from the aging veterans and provide some fresh new content to rejuvenate this site and bring it back to relevance.  Is there another young DT out there ready to stir things up?  Is there another Muda ready to challenge the status quo?  Is there a PP zealot ready to fill the void left by RebelDad, TW, Stryker and The Horde?  

Many of, if not the most active posters in the NLC/NECC threads (and I'm sure many more) are guys around my age (under 40). 

Us under 40 guys also seem to re-affirm our appreciation of the GID by voluntarily donating to the cause with our wallets and keyboards year in and year out. 

I'm willing to bet that our support would significantly drop off if this place were to become less active due to a paywall. (seems to only be a viable in you/Muda's fantasy world)

I spend most of my free time on Reddit on the Colts sub (among others), and if there wasn't already a free place to openly discuss Indiana High School Football, Reddit would serve that purpose as one of our other posters mentioned.

• Like 1

On 2/4/2019 at 1:59 PM, DT said:

I was referring to media sites in general.

I can no longer access news from the following media sources due to the presence of a paywall :

South Bend Tribune

Lafayette Journal Courier

Indy Star

Chicago tribune

Northwest Indiana Times

Daily Journal of Johnson County (The Center Grove Times)  LOL

I chose not to subscribe to any of these as they are too narrow in focus.  I want something with broader coverage.

A lot these you can just go and clear your browser cookies for that site and voila!, you have another 5-10 articles you can view.

In Chrome go to Settings-->Advanced-->Content Settings-->Cookies-->See all cookies and site data.   Then simply search for the site(s) cookies you want to removed and hit the "Remove All" button.

In fact just did this a few minutes ago for the Lafayette Urinal & Courier, and Indianapolis Star sites.

• Disdain 1

8 hours ago, DT said:

Is there another young DT out there ready to stir things up?  Is there another Muda ready to challenge the status quo?  Is there a PP zealot ready to fill the void left by RebelDad, TW, Stryker and The Horde?  

Ahh, those were the days.   And with the benevolent TA looking out for it all.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

A lot these you can just go and clear your browser cookies for that site and voila!, you have another 5-10 articles you can view.

In Chrome go to Settings-->Advanced-->Content Settings-->Cookies-->See all cookies and site data.   Then simply search for the site(s) cookies you want to removed and hit the "Remove All" button.

In fact just did this a few minutes ago for the Lafayette Urinal & Courier, and Indianapolis Star sites.

?

3 minutes ago, DannEllenwood said:

?

A fun name a former co-worker of mine, and Lafayette native, used when referring to the newspaper.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, gonzoron said:

I don't believe that.

Nor this. I'm over 60, I use all of those except Snapchat. That's only because I'm too old for Snapchat, too young for LifeAlert.

Don't sell yourself short Gonzo!

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, indycoach10 said:

Football season can't get here soon enough 🙄

There may not be one. Contraction, lack of interest, PP’s begin to concentrate on Lacrosse, etc., etc.

• Haha 4
  • Disdain 1

1 hour ago, Muda69 said:

Just no.  If you think Harrell's is a cesspool the shear amount of trolling and sh*tposting on reddit would make your head spin.

I'm apart of several, and they are well moderated. 

32 minutes ago, indycoach10 said:

I'm apart of several, and they are well moderated. 

Do you volunteer to moderate such a subreddit?  Good luck.

• Disdain 1

Lots of interesting debate and valid points for the pros & cons of going to a pay site.  When I first found this forum I was a lurker, and now probably more of a topic guy than a conference thread guy since there's not much ACAC content here.  However I do post there and also on the SAC threads .

Edited by Bonecrusher
  • Like 1