Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Center Grove @ Columbus East

What a game for opening week of 6A football. An extra week of rest will be what both teams need as Columbus East will get 4-5 starters back that have been out for a few weeks.

This will be the 3rd meeting in the last 10 years between these 2 schools with both teams picking up a win on the other schools home turf. 

2009 : CG defeated CE 21-14 @ East

2010 : CE defeated CG 27-13 @ CG

Will Carson play at all this year? The kid is an absolute stud, it’s unfortunate any kid has to deal with these injuries. 

CE is a very balanced offensive team this year led by Cole Gilley (D1 baseball recruit) at QB, RB Mark McDonald and WR Dalton Back (D1/MLB Prospect). On defense East has been stout (competition has been much weaker than CG’s) but they have done what they are supposed to. Outside of a week 2 blunder against CN, East played top 50 in the country Pickerington Central extremely tough and taken care of the HHC as normal. 
CG will bring a crowd and I love it. Always good to see an opposing team have a fan base that is so supportive of there team and as knowledgeable as they are about the program. Both schools are coached by legendary coaches in Moore and Gaddis.

Good Luck to both schools and hope for an injury free game for everyone. 

Edited by Olympian06

51 minutes ago, HoosierFB_JG said:

They are run heavy and run the Wing T, but have a more than capable air it out QB.

CG is the best team in this sectional and should win by 2 TD even without Carson Steele.

35-21 Trojans

I would say that is a fair assessment, by no means was I saying CE was a favorite. I also wouldn’t call it a huge upset if CE somehow did win the game. These 2 teams have played very competitive games each times they have played in the past. Both teams love to run the ball so lots of time get eaten up. , Gilley from CE has an absolute cannon for an arm, Back is his favorite target. 

47 minutes ago, DT said:

Is East 6A by enrollment or SF?

SF.. they are about 600 students less than the next smallest 6A school lol.. CE joins Cathedral as the only other school to bump up 2 classes due to success factor.. 

29 minutes ago, Staxawax said:

So 2 weeks on this thread. Over/under 5 pages. 

BTW, Pickerington Central is ranked #17 in Ohio, #187 nationally. Keep this game low scoring (in the teens) if you want to win. If CG score 20+ it will be hard to overcome.

They have fallen from where they began, but still 187th nationally isn’t bad,. CG - CE games have been lowing scoring the last 2 times they played. I expect the same this game as well. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, Olympian06 said:

SF.. they are about 600 students less than the next smallest 6A school lol.. CE joins Cathedral as the only other school to bump up 2 classes due to success factor.. 

This is one of the reasons I am not a fan of the SF.   Have no clue what class they should be in   4A?   5A?   6A?  WTF!

1 minute ago, Olympian06 said:

They are now 5A by enrollment but they are a small 5A school. Bumped from 4A to 5A due to SF, a year after they bumped up they hit the enrollment by like 75 students, then they bumped up to 6A this year due to SF again. 

How do the CE people feel about getting bumped around from class to class?

Just now, DT said:

Not much we can say, we cried about Cathedral beating our heads in years ago, and loved when they got bumped up to better competition. Now it’s our turn. I don’t hear much from CE fans at games complaining. They have earned the right to play at the 6A level against teams like CG. Do I hope we win the game? Absolutley. Do I know most people are going to say CG is going to win easily? Yep. Just part of it. CE is the little school out of Columbus. Lol 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, CGFan2017 said:

Wing T and Spread Mix id say.

Yeah, CG didn't run much wingT last night.  Mostly a spread.  I was surprised because they were very successful with the wingT for quite a few years.  I guess they didn't have the personnel this season maybe because of the inexperience of their young QB.  He threw the ball quite well last night, btw!

2 hours ago, DT said:

Most don't have an opinion. Some (like me) are excited for it and love the challenge. Haven't heard a single complaint from East fans about the success factor rule.

Edited by Frozen Tundra

3 minutes ago, TrojanDad said:

You won't hear people from CG saying they will win easily....we know the history between our 2 schools.  Nothing but upmost respect for Coach Gaddis and his program.

Was not thrilled about the sectional draw....not easy to go to East's home and pull out a victory.

Is the big horn still up on top of the building in the end zone?  I still remember Motley Crue "Jump Start my Heart" blaring from the speakers near start of the game from back in 09......

Haha the big horn is gone. They do fireworks now, but no horns. The visiting fans now sit on the side of the press box (you guys were on the opposite side last time you guys played at East). You can enter for tickets by the baseball field, or you can go down by the school crosswalk, get tickets, then enter on the CG side. 

I’m expecting a huge crowd from both sides. 

On 10/19/2019 at 10:18 AM, Olympian06 said:

Will Carson play at all this year? The kid is an absolute stud, it’s unfortunate any kid has to deal with these injuries. 

Carson Steele will not be playing anymore football this year regardless of how far CG advances.  I know it for a fact.  And everyone even remotely familiar with the program knows it.  I think the guys that contribute to this forum know it too........ they're just messing with everyone!

6 hours ago, Staxawax said:

Carson Steele will not be playing anymore football this year regardless of how far CG advances.  I know it for a fact.  And everyone even remotely familiar with the program knows it.  I think the guys that contribute to this forum know it too........ they're just messing with everyone!

From my understanding... he should be back by regionals if they make it that far. I was listening to the Bob Lovell show a couple of weeks ago, and Coach Moore gave some good news for CG people

5 hours ago, cg_holmeaid said:

From my understanding... he should be back by regionals if they make it that far. I was listening to the Bob Lovell show a couple of weeks ago, and Coach Moore gave some good news for CG people

Proves my point.  You are not close to the program.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 2