Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Center Grove @ Columbus East

Center Grove - 31

Columbus East - 7

Final

I was really impressed with Weems and Connor (can’t remember his last name). Both kids run extremely well. Weems is a squirrelly kid, devastating on his cuts, hard runner, great heart and fight with that kid. The overall size of CG was far too much for East to overcome. I actually thought the East defense played extremely well considering it was 14-0 quick off of a Punt Return and a Pick 6. 

East could not get anything going on offense, CG was there to shut the door on majority of the drives, and East shot themselves in the foot on a few with penalties. 

Good Luck to CG on the rest of the post season and get Mr Steele healed up so everyone can witness how great that kid can be. 

• Like 1

I would thought east would have rolled the dice on a 4th down or 2 late in the game

A few things from my first time at east is one Is a little odd the press box is on the visitor side two after the game at the cross walk I was surprised that their was a cop or some one thier

Gonna be a tough, tough matchup next week for Franklin Central traveling to CG. (Thanks, Mr. Obvious!)

Like usual, the FC defense propped u the offense last night in the 14-11 victory over Col North. PICK-6 late 2nd was the only score of the half. Won turnover battle 3-0 thanks to D & S/T.

DESPERATE PLEA TO FC COACHING STAFF. When you took over on downs with 2:04 & North holding 0 timeouts, you could have gone to Victory formation with 3 kneeldowns. You did not need to take the risk of 3 running plays. I almost had a heart attack when the ball was given to your big Soph RB with under :40 to go & he FUMBLED. FC was lucky to recover that. Can you hire a math teacher to join your staff for clock management purposes?

• Haha 1
  • Disdain 1

2 hours ago, Trojanmp52 said:

I would thought east would have rolled the dice on a 4th down or 2 late in the game

A few things from my first time at east is one Is a little odd the press box is on the visitor side two after the game at the cross walk I was surprised that their was a cop or some one thier

The visitor side used to be the home side but they switched when bigger bleachers were put in. They moved the home fans over there so that we could finally avoid the sun being in our eyes in the early season games. Four decades of the sun in our eyes sucked.

• Like 1

On 11/2/2019 at 11:26 AM, slice60 said:

Gonna be a tough, tough matchup next week for Franklin Central traveling to CG. (Thanks, Mr. Obvious!)

Like usual, the FC defense propped u the offense last night in the 14-11 victory over Col North. PICK-6 late 2nd was the only score of the half. Won turnover battle 3-0 thanks to D & S/T.

DESPERATE PLEA TO FC COACHING STAFF. When you took over on downs with 2:04 & North holding 0 timeouts, you could have gone to Victory formation with 3 kneeldowns. You did not need to take the risk of 3 running plays. I almost had a heart attack when the ball was given to your big Soph RB with under :40 to go & he FUMBLED. FC was lucky to recover that. Can you hire a math teacher to join your staff for clock management purposes?

FC Defense did not play as well as usual. Got good rush early but as the game went on, couldn't contain CN's QB in key downs and he made some big plays.

Offense is obviously young but made plays when they needed to. A young QB made some bad decisions early but made some good throws that got them the W. Several plays where there were easy reads and wide-open guys.

I had the pleasure of sitting near "That's a bad play call" guy all night. FC struggled running the ball late and when they go with a pass that QB panics and decides to run it's "That's a bad play call". 

The "fumble" that you are mentioning occurred after the whistle was blown and the player was ruled down. Unless the clock operator had a delayed finger, they needed to run more time off than a quick kneel.

I don't get to many, but attending HS games as a fan would be a lot easier if there were less coaches in the stands... Maybe you should apply?

Regardless... FC will need a flawless game this week and it might still not be enough to get CG.

• Like 1
  • Sit and spin 1

10 hours ago, Hoosier Hawk said:

FC Defense did not play as well as usual. Got good rush early but as the game went on, couldn't contain CN's QB in key downs and he made some big plays.

Offense is obviously young but made plays when they needed to. A young QB made some bad decisions early but made some good throws that got them the W. Several plays where there were easy reads and wide-open guys.

I had the pleasure of sitting near "That's a bad play call" guy all night. FC struggled running the ball late and when they go with a pass that QB panics and decides to run it's "That's a bad play call". 

The "fumble" that you are mentioning occurred after the whistle was blown and the player was ruled down. Unless the clock operator had a delayed finger, they needed to run more time off than a quick kneel.

I don't get to many, but attending HS games as a fan would be a lot easier if there were less coaches in the stands... Maybe you should apply?

Regardless... FC will need a flawless game this week and it might still not be enough to get CG.

Who said quick kneel? FC uses shotgun 100% of the time. So the QB can take the snap, wait a moment then take a knee. Plus, the 40 second clock operator never resets the clock instantly at HS games.

But I will give you this much-- milking 2:04 with 3 kneel downs requires proper execution to snap at 1-2 seconds, etc. So I am ok with handing off to the #1 RB once or twice. But the decision to hand off to the soph backup on 3rd down WHEN THE GAME CLOCK WAS ALREADY UNDER 0:40 ABSOLUTELY MADE NO SENSE. Heck, FC still had a timeout. If no one on the staff has the math skills to subtract 40 seconds in their head, call timeout. So the Coach could have made it easy for the players after the 3rd down running play-- tell the offense to stay in the huddle, let the play clock run, call timeout with :01 left or take a delay of game. That would have taken the game clock below 0:40, meaning a 3rd down kneel would clearly finish it.   

Whether it was a fumble or post-whistle doesn't really matter. There is 100% no doubt that FC took an unnecessary risk because the staff failed to understand how to manage the end game.

But after re-reading your entire post, it's clear you just wanted to disagree with everything I said.  

You say the FC defense didn't play as well as usual? They allowed only 11 points, put up the only 1st half points with a Pick-6, won the turnover battle 3-0, sacked the elusive North QB 4 times & blocked an early FG. To their credit, FC did connect on a couple key 4th Qtr pass plays including a big-time 25yd TD pass on 4th & 9. But the FC offense only managed 7 1st downs which left the D out there for 29 minutes & a 69-45 play differential.  

• Confused 1