Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Potential Dark Horses By Class

9 hours ago, DT said:

I have no beef with you on this issue my friend.  Boone Grove can only play the schools on its schedule.  Small schools rarely travel out of their home areas to play better competition.

This Boone Grove program has been building for a few years now.  Note that the school is in Valparaiso,, a historically strong Indiana high school football city.

Boone seems to have eclipsed the other small school risers in NWI, including Wheeler, Hanover Central, and longtime standout Whiting.  One could make an argument that BG is the premiere program, pound for pound, in NWI.  This 2A Sectional 33 looks very interesting.  Since Boone, in your view, hasn't been tested this year, a looming 2nd round matchup with Renseltucky should be one to watch out for very soon.

And I do appreciate your over the top 2A southern bias.  

And what issue is that?  I was just stating facts to back up my statement that Boone Grove has played no one.  So they play in Valpo?  So what?  Does that make their bad schedule better?  Typically 2 teams from the top ten play for the state title every year.   BG is currently #8.  I don't see that as a dark horse.  Wouldn't a dark horse be outside the top ten?  I mentioned Scecina because they are outside the top ten at #11.  And I didn't appreciate your backhanded commend about southern bias.  I never talked about the south at all in my post.  Sectional 33 is a 3 team race:  Rensy, BG, and Andrean.  No one else in there will win it.

3 hours ago, itiswhatitis said:

And what issue is that?  I was just stating facts to back up my statement that Boone Grove has played no one.  So they play in Valpo?  So what?  Does that make their bad schedule better?  Typically 2 teams from the top ten play for the state title every year.   BG is currently #8.  I don't see that as a dark horse.  Wouldn't a dark horse be outside the top ten?  I mentioned Scecina because they are outside the top ten at #11.  And I didn't appreciate your backhanded commend about southern bias.  I never talked about the south at all in my post.  Sectional 33 is a 3 team race:  Rensy, BG, and Andrean.  No one else in there will win it.

This dude has a giant chip on his shoulder.  

1 hour ago, Temptation said:

This seems to be gaining steam.  What evidence do you see from a 2-7 team other than SOS?

I can't answer for Justasporsfan, but I'll chime in with this (and sorry but it has to involve SOS):  Luers' SOS is 27th.  That's 5 spots better than five 6A teams!  Unlike most other smaller schools, Luers plays ZERO 1A or 2A teams on their schedule.  They play three 6A teams, three 5A teams, two 4A teams and one 3A team.  Do you think any other 2 A team has played close to that kind of competition?  Me neither.  If they are healthy, they could go on a deep run.  So I get the "gaining steam" about why some people would pick Luers as a dark horse.  Forget about the 2 - 7 record.

2 minutes ago, DT said:

This dude has a giant chip on his shoulder.  

How is stating facts having a " giant chip" on my shoulder?  Seems to me you want to start something where there is nothing.  You accused me of "southern bias".  I didn't talk anything at all about southern football.  Go back and read my post again.  Where was the southern bias you accuse me of?  You seem to be the one with the issue.  You got called out on Boone Grove's schedule and have no answer. I have no issues, no "beef".  Just talking football.  So c'mon, get real DT.  I've always thought you were better than that!

10 minutes ago, itiswhatitis said:

I can't answer for Justasporsfan, but I'll chime in with this (and sorry but it has to involve SOS):  Luers' SOS is 27th.  That's 5 spots better than five 6A teams!  Unlike most other smaller schools, Luers plays ZERO 1A or 2A teams on their schedule.  They play three 6A teams, three 5A teams, two 4A teams and one 3A team.  Do you think any other 2 A team has played close to that kind of competition?  Me neither.  If they are healthy, they could go on a deep run.  So I get the "gaining steam" about why some people would pick Luers as a dark horse.  Forget about the 2 - 7 record.

Wasn't Luers 4-5 when they entered post-season in 2009 and ended up walking away with a blue ring?  Outside of Northwood and Cathedral, they might be the only other program to have entered the tourney with a losing record and left with a blue ring.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, itiswhatitis said:

I see that and actually made a similar case for Concordia and cited SOS as a main reason why but I’d feel better about this “Luers as a dark horse” pick had they been competitive in more of those contests against 5A/6A schools.

They didn’t score A POINT against the three 6A schools on their schedule and were outscored 93-40 by the three 5A schools they played...

Agree completely regarding Concordia being a dark horse.  Not sure how deep they will go, but they're definitely not a pushover team.  Battle tested and toughened up playing SAC schedule they beat the teams they should have beat (maybe except Northrop) and lost to the teams they were "supposed to" lose to, but did put up points against some of the powerhouse teams.

I'm on the fence regarding Luers.  Shut out by the SAC big four by an average of 44-0 and lost by 28 points to Concordia.  Their other losses were close games and the two wins were against weak teams, albeit larger schools.  I'm having difficulty discerning whether they are either: a good team just on the wrong side of the coin in a super-competitive conference, or a not-so-good team that got a wood shedding several times and maybe a little beat down from it.  If the former they could fare reasonably well in post season, if the latter they will perform like a mediocre team that got beat down repeatedly by better teams and make a quick exit.  Hoping it's the former.  Always pulling for the Fort Wayne area teams and know several people who graduated from Luers.  However, I can't shake some lingering doubts.  Just because you play tougher competition and get  blown out doesn't make you a good team.

Time will tell.

1 hour ago, Temptation said:

I see that and actually made a similar case for Concordia and cited SOS as a main reason why but I’d feel better about this “Luers as a dark horse” pick had they been competitive in more of those contests against 5A/6A schools.

They didn’t score A POINT against the three 6A schools on their schedule and were outscored 93-40 by the three 5A schools they played...

Keep in mind I wasn't one who suggested Luers as a dark horse.  But looking at their schedule, I can see why some people would feel that way.  While I get your questioning them not scoring a point on the 6A teams they played, you have to keep in mind those 6A teams are all top 20 in their class!    So I have to wonder how many other 2A programs could score on those teams?   I have to think that Luers won't see a 2A tournament team the caliber of a 6A school, especially top 20.  Whether people believe in SOS or not, it is a factor in the post season.  If Luers is healthy, I now have to consider them to be a tough out.  My dark horse is Scecina.

Edited by itiswhatitis

2 hours ago, Temptation said:

This seems to be gaining steam.  What evidence do you see from a 2-7 team other than SOS?

I'm going solely off the eye test..i thought they wouldn't be as big up front..they are..i figured the defense didn't have any heavy hitters..they do..several guys were hurt n the next man up played with tons of heart..that being said I didn't watch film pertaining to the blowouts and haven't seen any other 2a squads on film. If they would have won 4 or 5 games I wouldn't doubt them as much..id be surprise if they make it to regionals let alone a couple sectional notches..darkhorse pick 4 me.

4 minutes ago, itiswhatitis said:

Keep in mind I wasn't one who suggested Luers as a dark horse.  But looking at their schedule, I can see why some people would feel that way.  While I get your questioning them not scoring a point on the 6A teams they played, you have to keep in mind those 6A teams are all top 20 in their class!    So I have to wonder how many other 2A programs could score on those teams?   I have to think that Luers won't see a 2A tournament team the caliber of a 6A school, especially top 20.  Whether people believe in SOS or not, it is a factor in the post season.  If Luers is healthy, I now have to consider them to be a tough out.  My dark horse is Scecina.

I still see Luers as a slight favorite in sectional 35 for the reasons mentioned but beating Eastbrook in the regional seems like a tall order.  Cass/Pioneer would then be waiting in the semi-state which is an even tougher mountain to climb.

But it's been done before!

43 minutes ago, Temptation said:

I still see Luers as a slight favorite in sectional 35 for the reasons mentioned but beating Eastbrook in the regional seems like a tall order.  Cass/Pioneer would then be waiting in the semi-state which is an even tougher mountain to climb.

But it's been done before!

And isn't Luers dropping back into 2A after being in 3A?  Maybe that's another reason for people picking them as a dark horse.  They went to semi-state last year in 3A.  At least I think that's what I read.

15 hours ago, DT said:

I have no beef with you on this issue my friend.  Boone Grove can only play the schools on its schedule.  Small schools rarely travel out of their home areas to play better competition.

This Boone Grove program has been building for a few years now.  Note that the school is in Valparaiso,, a historically strong Indiana high school football city.

Boone seems to have eclipsed the other small school risers in NWI, including Wheeler, Hanover Central, and longtime standout Whiting.  One could make an argument that BG is the premiere program, pound for pound, in NWI.  This 2A Sectional 33 looks very interesting.  Since Boone, in your view, hasn't been tested this year, a looming 2nd round matchup with Renseltucky should be one to watch out for very soon.

And I do appreciate your over the top 2A southern bias.  

Sectional 33:

NN (7-2) has 1st round BYE

RCHS @ Wheeler :   Winner hosts NN round 2

BG and Andrean certainly will win their respective 1st round games:  Boone Grove season gets validated if they beat Andrean in Round 2.  

If RCHS takes care of business 1st 2 rounds then they will be on the road to Either Boone or Andrean 

2 hours ago, foxbat said:

Wasn't Luers 4-5 when they entered post-season in 2009 and ended up walking away with a blue ring?  Outside of Northwood and Cathedral, they might be the only other program to have entered the tourney with a losing record and left with a blue ring.

I am not too familiar with this year's version of Luers, but that 2009 team was littered with D1 talents but they were Freshman thru Juniors.  There was a certain freshman on that Luers team you may have heard of.  

image.jpeg.87db52739bcb8cc9ee1de572543b1b5a.jpeg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, itiswhatitis said:

How is stating facts having a " giant chip" on my shoulder?  Seems to me you want to start something where there is nothing.  You accused me of "southern bias".  I didn't talk anything at all about southern football.  Go back and read my post again.  Where was the southern bias you accuse me of?  You seem to be the one with the issue.  You got called out on Boone Grove's schedule and have no answer. I have no issues, no "beef".  Just talking football.  So c'mon, get real DT.  I've always thought you were better than that!

Your home school gives away your southern bias.

You chose to attack BG SOS, which is your prerogative.  NWI has always been a "big school" area.  People don't get too excited about 1A and 2A football.  Its just our reality.  The south is dominated by small rural schools, hence the preference for small school football.

Boone Grove absolutely qualifies as a darkhorse.  They have never been on the radar statewide, so a playoff run would be noteworthy.  

Trust me , I have no issues.  You thru the first punch in this little scuffle, so Im just responding in kind.  

Edited by DT

2 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

Sectional 33:

BG and Andrean certainly will win their respective 1st round games:  Boone Grove season gets validated if they beat Andrean in Round 2.  

If RCHS takes care of business 1st 2 rounds then they will be on the road to Either Boone or Andrean 

I am not too familiar with this year's version of Luers, but that 2009 team was littered with D1 talents but they were Freshman thru Juniors.  There was a certain freshman on that Luers team you may have heard of.  

Interesting that a coach for an opposing school is in a position to "validate" the success or failure of a potential future opponent.  That is definitely locker room chalk board material.  BG should be all over that.  

1 hour ago, Bonecrusher said:

Agree completely regarding Concordia being a dark horse.  Not sure how deep they will go, but they're definitely not a pushover team.  Battle tested and toughened up playing SAC schedule they beat the teams they should have beat (maybe except Northrop) and lost to the teams they were "supposed to" lose to, but did put up points against some of the powerhouse teams.

I'm on the fence regarding Luers.  Shut out by the SAC big four by an average of 44-0 and lost by 28 points to Concordia.  Their other losses were close games and the two wins were against weak teams, albeit larger schools.  I'm having difficulty discerning whether they are either: a good team just on the wrong side of the coin in a super-competitive conference, or a not-so-good team that got a wood shedding several times and maybe a little beat down from it.  If the former they could fare reasonably well in post season, if the latter they will perform like a mediocre team that got beat down repeatedly by better teams and make a quick exit.  Hoping it's the former.  Always pulling for the Fort Wayne area teams and know several people who graduated from Luers.  However, I can't shake some lingering doubts.  Just because you play tougher competition and get  blown out doesn't make you a good team.

Time will tell.

Looking at Luers sectional, I'm not sure anyone will have the athletes to stop them speed wise. I can see them going to Regional and/or Semi State. They'd most likely have to play Eastbrook for the Regional. Not sure how they'd compare as Eastbrook was the runner-up last year. Then I'd assume the Cass/Pioneer winner will be waiting at Semi State.

2 minutes ago, DT said:

Interesting that a coach for an opposing school is in a position to "validate" the success or failure of a potential future opponent.  That is definitely locker room chalk board material.  BG should be all over that.  

haha.  sure if you want to try to spin that cocktail have at it.   Don't think that is the case, but I will state simply put that NCC conference has more 'clout' then the GSSC, nothing inflammatory about that, even in your contrarian ways my friend.  

You said it perfectly, Boone has played and hammered everyone they have to play.  That in itself is the story that should be told.  Not like all of sudden they have a real nice SR class and they said, ok, lets drop South Central and pick up Lowell.   You and everyone else knows that is not how it works.   

I have seen Boone Grove on film, they have the Pancake Posse https://www.nwitimes.com/sports/high-school/football/football-notes-it-all-starts-up-front-for-boone-grove/article_f6365a82-4fb5-5ae8-b3f9-5e4a4751999c.html

Stellar Running back if given daylight takes it to the house, but my favorite player on the team easily is the QB, that kid can flat out play on both sides of the ball.  He would start on many Duneland NCC, Hoosier Conference teams.  He is a difference maker.  

5 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

haha.  sure if you want to try to spin that cocktail have at it.   Don't think that is the case, but I will state simply put that NCC conference has more 'clout' then the GSSC, nothing inflammatory about that, even in your contrarian ways my friend.  

You said it perfectly, Boone has played and hammered everyone they have to play.  That in itself is the story that should be told.  Not like all of sudden they have a real nice SR class and they said, ok, lets drop South Central and pick up Lowell.   You and everyone else knows that is not how it works.   

I have seen Boone Grove on film, they have the Pancake Posse https://www.nwitimes.com/sports/high-school/football/football-notes-it-all-starts-up-front-for-boone-grove/article_f6365a82-4fb5-5ae8-b3f9-5e4a4751999c.html

Stellar Running back if given daylight takes it to the house, but my favorite player on the team easily is the QB, that kid can flat out play on both sides of the ball.  He would start on many Duneland NCC, Hoosier Conference teams.  He is a difference maker.  

Good looking group.  Bet these kids have had a blast running over people this year.  

20 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

Sectional 33:

That year Luers lost their last regular season game 62-0.

2 minutes ago, DT said:

Good looking group.  Bet these kids have had a blast running over people this year.  

Yes they do.   They are playing with great confidence and excitement.   They have been to Sectional championship game last 2 years and looking to break through.   

1 minute ago, jakone said:

That year Luers lost their last regular season game 62-0.

Snider was pretty good

Luers was so talented, but so young in 2009.  

18 hours ago, hhpatriot04 said:

I still think Evansville Memorial in 4A is dangerous, despite the double OT loss to Central. Lots of players with years of deep tournament runs pays dividends they have had 12 or so extra weeks of practice over the past three years... That's a ton of time to learn play packages and even if you weren't on the field, you were practicing against state-champion quality competition. 

They are considered a “Dark Horse”, but have the best player in SW IN and a group of seniors that have played more HS games than almost anyone else in the state. Memorial’s senior class have played in multiple BIG TIME games over the last two years, and always seem to play their best in the tournament. I don’t understand the consistent “over-looking” that teams from SW IN continue to get, despite having 4 teams play in the state finals over that last 3 years.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DT said:

Your home school gives away your southern bias.

You chose to attack BG SOS, which is your prerogative.  NWI has always been a "big school" area.  People don't get too excited about 1A and 2A football.  Its just our reality.  The south is dominated by small rural schools, hence the preference for small school football.

Boone Grove absolutely qualifies as a darkhorse.  They have never been on the radar statewide, so a playoff run would be noteworthy.  

Trust me , I have no issues.  You thru the first punch in this little scuffle, so Im just responding in kind.  

So you just assume from my "hone school" I'm biased?  Tsk, tsk, tsk.  No punches were thrown and there is no scuffle.  You got called out with facts and you have no answer.  Now you are trying to bait me into something that isn't there.  Hey wait a minute......Did I read someone say you are retired and living in Arizona?  Where in Arizona?  I'm being serious by asking.

Just now, itiswhatitis said:

So you just assume from my "hone school" I'm biased?  Tsk, tsk, tsk.  No punches were thrown and there is no scuffle.  You got called out with facts and you have no answer.  Now you are trying to bait me into something that isn't there.  Hey wait a minute......Did I read someone say you are retired and living in Arizona?  Where in Arizona?  I'm being serious by asking.

Im not in AZ   I considered buying a house there but the 115 degree temps from June to Sept turned me off.  Was looking in Mesa and Chandler.  

9 minutes ago, DT said:

Im not in AZ   I considered buying a house there but the 115 degree temps from June to Sept turned me off.  Was looking in Mesa and Chandler.  

Oh I thought someone said you were.  I'm interested in Arizona myself, but looking at Tucson.  Spent a week out there a few years back and fell in love with it.  As far as 115 degree temps?  That's why they have air conditioning.  LOL  You play golf early in the morning or in the evening to keep from getting fried.  I found it amusing they keep the grocery stores open until like midnight so people can shop when it's cooler.  I like the fact they have 320 days of sunshine per year.  Besides, there's none of that nasty humidity to deal with.

Edited by itiswhatitis