Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Block below the waist on PAT

Coach Jennings

Question

5 answers to this question

1 hour ago, Coach Jennings said:

Can an offensive lineman block below the waist on a PAT?  When I asked about it I was told it was a scrimmage play and that it is legal. 

Is this correct?  Anyone?

The blocking rules don't change on a scrimmage kick, which is what a PAT is. The only blocking below the waist allowed is by a player on the line, against an opponent on the line, in the free blocking zone, while the ball is in the free blocking zone. Since a kick try is a long snap, that means the block must be instantaneous at the snap. Any delay and it's a foul.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The ball leaves the blocking zone so fast I don't ever see how the block can be legal.  The ball is in the holders hands by the time the block occurs making it illegal by your definition. 

I didn't think it was legal regardless but I learned something.  

Thank you.  

13 minutes ago, Coach Jennings said:

The ball leaves the blocking zone so fast I don't ever see how the block can be legal.  The ball is in the holders hands by the time the block occurs making it illegal by your definition. 

Thank you.  

This subject has been discussed in rules interpretation meetings. Shotgun is typically used for illustrative purposes. The interpretation is it HAS to be initial line charge, and can NOT be delayed. 

2 hours ago, Coach Jennings said:

Thank you.  

This interpretation is an example of applying common sense to the black and white of the rule book. The purpose of the rule prohibiting low blocks except in the FBZ while the ball is in the FBZ, is risk minimization. Blocks that occur between players on the line while the ball is still in the FBZ are considered OK because those restrictions do not allow the players to create the momentum that increases the risk of leg injuries. Thus, a block that occurs right at the snap is consistent with that philosophy. Any delay allows the players to generate more momentum, making the blocks more dangerous.