Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

What's Wrong With This Picture?

Bobref

Question

Here's a part of a post I copied from another officials' forum that I frequent. Love to hear some officials comment on this … fans, coaches, too.

"Score at half time in 9-3 with this particular coach’s team having the 3 points. They take the second half kick off and from about their own 40 break a TD run down their sideline. As I am trailing the play one of the offensive linemen blocks a defensive guy in the back about 30-35 yards behind the ball. Easy call no question. Drop the flag and my head coach comes unglued."

8 answers to this question

12 minutes ago, Bobref said:

Here's a part of a post I copied from another officials' forum that I frequent. Love to hear some officials comment on this … fans, coaches, too.

"Score at half time in 9-3 with this particular coach’s team having the 3 points. They take the second half kick off and from about their own 40 break a TD run down their sideline. As I am trailing the play one of the offensive linemen blocks a defensive guy in the back about 30-35 yards behind the ball. Easy call no question. Drop the flag and my head coach comes unglued."

I'm confused by his use of O and D especially calling them O and D linemen, on kicking plays most refer to the teams as K and R. Who blocked who in the back and if it was 30-35 yards behind the play, was he a defenseless player and needed to be called, or was it more of a light nudge and could have been passed on? 

Edited by Moshiner1345

1 hour ago, Bobref said:

Depends, if it goes as far as UNR flag it, if not talk to him. 

I think the moral of this situation is that you have to call safety fouls regardless if it impacted the play or not. If the K player was defenseless and R took a shot, absolutely throw the flag. If R's coach saw that happen to his player, he'd want the foul. 

Calling back a TD for a block in the back well behind the play should only happen if the contact was significant enough to rise to the level of UNR. Ordinarily, a block in the back is not considered a safety foul, and therefore, should only be called when it places the defense at a disadvantage. My suggestion would be if the contact is sufficient to warrant a flag, call it UNR, not a block in the back. There is plenty of rules support for this.

9-4-3

“ART. 3 . . . No player or nonplayer shall:

b. Charge into or throw an opponent to the ground after he is obviously out of the play,”

I think 30 yds. behind the runner qualifies as “obviously out of the play.”

On the forum where I got this play, you would not believe the number of officials who said the block in the back should be flagged and the TD called back.

16 minutes ago, Bobref said:

b. Charge into or throw an opponent to the ground after he is obviously out of the play,”

I need to show this to my son. And his Mom. Two games in a row he's been flagged for UNR. Mom all upset, I told her both times it was good calls. "Well they've been holding him and punching him the whole game", lol.

Edited by gonzoron
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, gonzoron said:

I need to show this to my son. And his Mom. Two games in a row he's been flagged for UNR. Mom all upset, I told her both times it was good calls. "Well they've been holding him and punching him the whole game", lol.

I’ll save you some grief, mom is right, that’s not the hill you want to die on. 

• Haha 2

On 10/22/2019 at 1:08 PM, Bobref said:

At first, I was hesitant to answer this question but after hearing everyone else's response, I'm glad that my thought process is the same.  I'd really have a hard time calling back a TD.....unless it was an absolute safety issue.  At the IFOA clinic this past summer, they stressed making sure your calls were "big".  Like a hold away from the play that is not impactful.......let it go.  Pass interference......make sure everyone in the stadium saw it.  That sort of thing.  If it was not a safety issue and didn't affect the play, let it go (but maybe mention to the offending player).

• Thanks 1