Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Welcoming Girls, Boy Scouts Program Is Now Scouts BSA

Muda69

https://www.npr.org/2019/02/01/690024261/welcoming-girls-of-all-ages-boy-scouts-of-america-is-now-scouts-bsa

On Feb. 1, the Boy Scouts of America begins calling itself Scouts BSA and will allow girls to earn the rank of Eagle Scout. Younger girls have been able to join Cub Scouts for nearly a year, and more than 77,000 joined. Now, older girls 11-17 have a path to earn the organization's highest rank.

Laurel Highlands Council Scouting Executive and CEO Sharon Moulds said the most common question is whether these older scouts troops will be co-ed.

"There are girl troops and there are boy troops," Moulds said. "Generally what people are concerned about is they think they're going to merge together ... that's never going to happen."

And I call baloney on that statement.  Within 5 years scouting troops will effectively be co-ed, especially in rural areas where it is already a struggle to find enough adult leadership.  I've heard of it already happening in Cub Scouts, where there are supposed to be separate boys & girls dens within the same pack. 

Interesting days ahead.

2 hours ago, Muda69 said:

https://www.npr.org/2019/02/01/690024261/welcoming-girls-of-all-ages-boy-scouts-of-america-is-now-scouts-bsa

And I call baloney on that statement.  Within 5 years scouting troops will effectively be co-ed, especially in rural areas where it is already a struggle to find enough adult leadership.  I've heard of it already happening in Cub Scouts, where there are supposed to be separate boys & girls dens within the same pack. 

Interesting days ahead.

Add in the occasional "identity neutral" crowd who have no idea which gender they are......I'm so glad my girls are adults now.......just as long as they don't change the cookies........4 bucks a box for those things ain't bad for what I consider "crack for old guys"..... 

• Disdain 1

4 minutes ago, swordfish said:

Add in the occasional "identity neutral" crowd who have no idea which gender they are......I'm so glad my girls are adults now.......just as long as they don't change the cookies........4 bucks a box for those things ain't bad for what I consider "crack for old guys"..... 

Only $4?  The cookie cartel is charging $5 around here.......................

7 minutes ago, swordfish said:

Someone is pocketing an extra buck a box......

Or more insidiously getting you to pay for their cookie skimming ... getting high on their own supply and getting other addicts to foot the bill.

1 hour ago, Impartial_Observer said:

I may go against the grain here, but I really have never cared for Girl Scout cookies. 

Not even Thin Mints in the freezer?

I used to like the Trefoils shortbread cookies. Great dipped in coffee. I hate all the other ones. Not even sure they still even sell those, haven't bought any GS cookies in years. I think they were $2 the last time I bought any. I'm not a big dessert person anyway. Or sweet anything. I hate sweet tea, sweet cornbread, sweet salad dressings. And don't get me started on pink food. I'll tell you my Pepto-Bismol story.

https://www.ohio.com/news/20190210/all-girl-boy-scouts-troop-launches-in-wayne-county

All-girl Boy Scouts troop launches in Wayne County

WOOSTER — Anything boys can do, girls can do, too, and that includes being part of the Boy Scouts of America.

A small but enthusiastic group of young ladies met at Zion Lutheran Church in Wooster last week to become part of the new Troop 64 — an all-girl troop which will offer the new recruits some privileges they think they’ve been missing, such as whittling and camping.

It’s the first all-girl BSA troop to start in Wooster, according to organizers.

Under the umbrella of the Boy Scouts organization, female Scouts ages 10 to 18 will participate in Scouts BSA. Because of their new designation, may work toward the distinguished rank of Eagle Scout just like their male peers.

This troop will be led by the girls themselves, scoutmaster Colleen Cole said. “For the most part, it will be girls leading other girls.”

Young girls already had been streaming into Cub Scout packs and needed a place to cross over once they reached fifth grade.

The Cub Scout packs, welcoming girls and boys, have been part of a family-friendly trend in Scouting and have been opening up new opportunities.

Cole’s daughter had been “watching from the sidelines ... a lot of fun activities” that Boy Scouts were enjoying, Cole said, particularly related to the outdoors.

Jim Sayre, leading Troop 65, affirmed an “outdoor focus” in Boy Scouts.

With the option of joining Girl Scouts or Scouts BSA, “different people with different interests are being served,” said Brooke Johnson, Killbuck District executive.

She also pointed out that the Scout Oath and Scout Law are not gender specific, but rather “good for all our kids in our community.”

The Boy Scouts and the all-girl troop may get together for activities, Sayre said, but will have separate meetings and go camping separately.

“I think it’s great,” said Tom McFadden, the chartered organization representative for Zion Lutheran Church, which he said has sponsored an active Boy Scout troop for 100 years.

“We’re excited about [the all-girls troop],” McFadden said. “We hope it flourishes.”

“This is something I wish I’d had,” Johnson said.

Taking leadership will be “a learning experience” for the girls, McFadden said.

“We’re looking for adults to be volunteers,” Johnson added.

Rowan Craft, an 11-year-old Edgewood Middle School student, said after her Girl Scout troop disbanded, she decided to “join this group with all my friends.”

“I also love to camp, and I want to carve,” said Rowan’s cousin, Kailey Kartisek, a 12-year-old student at Edgewood.

“Outdoor things” are her favorite, Kailey said.

Rowan Craft, an 11-year-old Edgewood Middle School student, said after her Girl Scout troop disbanded, she decided to “join this group with all my friends.”

“I also love to camp, and I want to carve,” said Rowan’s cousin, Kailey Kartisek, a 12-year-old student at Edgewood.

Families interested in the inaugural group may contact Cole at cole.colleen@yahoo.com or 254-368-9472, or Johnson at brooke.johnson@scouting.org or 330-362-2233.

Linda Hall can be reached at lhall@the-daily-record.com or 330-264-1125, ext. 2230. She is @lindahallTDR on Twitter.

And so it begins...........An "all girl boy scout troop"..... Wow.....

Image may contain: 2 people, text

5 minutes ago, swordfish said:

https://www.ohio.com/news/20190210/all-girl-boy-scouts-troop-launches-in-wayne-county

All-girl Boy Scouts troop launches in Wayne County

WOOSTER — Anything boys can do, girls can do, too, and that includes being part of the Boy Scouts of America.

A small but enthusiastic group of young ladies met at Zion Lutheran Church in Wooster last week to become part of the new Troop 64 — an all-girl troop which will offer the new recruits some privileges they think they’ve been missing, such as whittling and camping.

It’s the first all-girl BSA troop to start in Wooster, according to organizers.

Under the umbrella of the Boy Scouts organization, female Scouts ages 10 to 18 will participate in Scouts BSA. Because of their new designation, may work toward the distinguished rank of Eagle Scout just like their male peers.

This troop will be led by the girls themselves, scoutmaster Colleen Cole said. “For the most part, it will be girls leading other girls.”

Young girls already had been streaming into Cub Scout packs and needed a place to cross over once they reached fifth grade.

The Cub Scout packs, welcoming girls and boys, have been part of a family-friendly trend in Scouting and have been opening up new opportunities.

Cole’s daughter had been “watching from the sidelines ... a lot of fun activities” that Boy Scouts were enjoying, Cole said, particularly related to the outdoors.

Jim Sayre, leading Troop 65, affirmed an “outdoor focus” in Boy Scouts.

With the option of joining Girl Scouts or Scouts BSA, “different people with different interests are being served,” said Brooke Johnson, Killbuck District executive.

She also pointed out that the Scout Oath and Scout Law are not gender specific, but rather “good for all our kids in our community.”

The Boy Scouts and the all-girl troop may get together for activities, Sayre said, but will have separate meetings and go camping separately.

“I think it’s great,” said Tom McFadden, the chartered organization representative for Zion Lutheran Church, which he said has sponsored an active Boy Scout troop for 100 years.

“We’re excited about [the all-girls troop],” McFadden said. “We hope it flourishes.”

“This is something I wish I’d had,” Johnson said.

Taking leadership will be “a learning experience” for the girls, McFadden said.

Families interested in the inaugural group may contact Cole at cole.colleen@yahoo.com or 254-368-9472, or Johnson at brooke.johnson@scouting.org or 330-362-2233.

Linda Hall can be reached at lhall@the-daily-record.com or 330-264-1125, ext. 2230. She is @lindahallTDR on Twitter.

And so it begins...........An "all girl boy scout troop"..... Wow.....

Image may contain: 2 people, text

Yes, it does begin.  A new all girls troop (which is the model the BSA is promoting,  100% separate boy and girl troops)  is in the works for Clinton county.  Supposedly an individual has stepped up to be the Scoutmaster; it will be chartered by a church in Rossville; and the troop will meet out at Camp Collum, a more centralized location within the county.

And on the girl scout cookie front, I tried my first S'mores cookie last night.  Pretty tasty..............

And the politicking and calls for softening up the rules begins: https://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/ny-pol-eagle-scout-sydney-ireland-carolyn-maloney-state-of-the-union-20190205-story.html

Trailblazing Manhattan girl — an Eagle Scout hopeful — joins Rep. Maloney for Trump state of the union speech
Washington, DC - Tuesday, Feb. 5th, 2019 - Rep. Carolyn Maloney (NY-12) & her State of the Union guest, Sydney B. Ireland pose for a photo in the Congresswoman's Capitol Hill office. (Liz Lynch for New York Daily News)

WASHINGTON — Sydney Ireland wasn't wearing white at the State of the Union like Democratic women lawmakers who wanted to show their solidarity in front of President Donald Trump with the suffragists who secured the right for women to vote in America.

The 17-year-old Manhattan girl was wearing her Boy Scouts green and khaki uniform because she wants to be a trailblazer for her generation, perhaps the first girl in America to be named an Eagle Scout by Scouting BSA, which until recently, was the Boy Scouts of America.

Ireland started Scouting when her older brother Bryan was in the Cub Scouts. She just wanted in on the cool stuff he was up to. And her troop let her, through an unofficial auxiliary for girls that included all the same activities as the boys, she said.

But then came the leap to the Boy Scouts, and she realized she was not getting any recognition for doing the same things as the boys.

"I found out that girls couldn't officially earn anything," she recalled, sitting next to Rep. Carolyn Maloney (D-N.Y.), who dressed in her suffragist white with an "ERA Now" pinned to her chest.

So she started advocating for full inclusion for girls. The Scouts said they would do it back in 2017, and finally did it Feb. 1 this year.

"I feel that she has achieved a great thing," said Maloney, whose own cause right now is finally getting the Equal Rights Amendment ratified and added to the U.S. Constitution. "How many of us really change policy in this country? She's made it easier and better for all the girls coming after her, and changed the whole environment."

Ireland still has one major hurdle. She's done all the work required to earn the rank of Eagle Scout, the pinnacle of Scouting.

But Scouting BSA appears unwilling to recognize her documented achievements, such as being elected the senior patrol leader of her mostly male troop. It wants her to start from scratch.

"Sydney, like all girls joining Scouts BSA as of February 1st, will absolutely have a chance to become an Eagle Scout," a spokeswoman said. "We are proud that Sydney Ireland was one of the first girls to join Scouts BSA on February 1st, and we will be proud to see her grow in Scouting, attend the World Scout Jamboree and be one of the first female Eagle Scouts in the inaugural class that will be celebrated in 2020."

Ireland is hoping for a little better.

"With this new Scouts BSA, I think that they should start off on the right foot, and award young women, like myself, the accomplishments that we've achieved," Ireland said. "It's kind of mitigating the accomplishments of young women, including myself, who have been fighting for this for years, and accomplished the Eagle Scout before 2020."

Ireland said she was inspired along the way by the battle by gay Scouts to get recognition and inclusion, and she sees the latest acceptance of girls as a last step for the venerable institution into this millennium.

"They've been very behind in their policies, and they're finally recognizing that all people should be treated equally and have equal rights," Ireland said. "It's taken them a long time to realize that, but they're finally recognizing that regardless of sexuality, gender, race, anything, that people should have the same opportunities, and the same opportunities to achieve the Eagle Scout, which opens up so many doors that previously were not available to people that are gay, and women."

Maloney said much the same a week earlier when she reintroduced an ERA, an act to elevate women to the Constitution that was first proposed in 1923, about a dozen years after the Scouts launched for boys.

So this young lady tagged along with her brother while he was in a Boy Scout troop and claims to have completed the same rank requirements (ranks in Boy Scouts are Scout, Tenderfoot, 2nd Class, 1st Class, Star, Life, Eagle).   The national BSA is basically saying "sorry, since you couldn't officially join a scout troop until 2/1/2019 everything you did previously is null and void.  You have to start over from scratch."   Now there is whining, complaining,  and probably a lawsuit,  due to a troop, and it's adult leadership, basically going rogue.  All so a young lady could try and be the "1st female Eagle Scout".

*sigh*

Never mind that she's wearing a political button on her uniform in complete violation of BSA policy.

Edited by Muda69