Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Sullivan at Vincennes Lincoln

Sullivan (6-3) at Vincennes Lincoln (5-4)
GAME TIME: 7 pm ET, Inman Field.
COACHES: Blaine Powell, 24-8 in 3rd year at Sullivan. Levi Salters, 22-9 in 3rd year at Vincennes.
SAGARIN RATINGS: Sullivan, 48.14, 144th overall, 27th in 3A. Vincennes, 45.15, 155th overall, 30th in 3A.
LAST OUTING: Sullivan defeated Owen Valley, 49-7. Vincennes defeated Princeton, 34-10.
VS. COMMON FOES: Sullivan 1-0; Vincennes 1-0.
OPPONENTS' RECORDS: Sullivan 45-36. Vincennes 31-39.
SERIES LAST 35 YEARS: Tied, 2-2
LAST MEETING: Sullivan, 42-14, Oct. 28, 2016, sectional.
jh PREDICTION: Vincennes, 24-23.

What a first round match up. These teams have met 3 times in recent years, Sullivan owning a 2-1 series lead. I know the Arrows have had some really talented teams from 2012-2016 (the last time Lincoln saw them) led by the Powell kid. Since that time though, I haven’t followed them much other than score watching. It seems they still produce some good teams and are well coached. Can’t recall seeing any Arrow fans on here. Was hoping some of the Miner faithful on the board could help me out!

The one common opponent is NK, Sullivan a 3 pt winner and Lincoln prevailing by 6. Sagarin and Massey have these teams rated very close. Should be a dandy! 

• Like 1

Saw this matchup when I was looking through all of the sectionals.  I feel it is one of the best first round matchups in 3A.  I know there are other good first round matches but this one intrigued me.  VL does have the better SOS and as was mentioned they've both beaten one common opponent.  I'd really hate to have to pick a winner.  I think the game will be close and should be a dandy.  The Miners did beat the Arrows earlier in the season.  I think the Arrows don't have as much talent this year as they've had in recent years, but that is just going off of their game against Linton.  Don't know much about VL other than score watching.  I know each team only put up 2 scores on North Knox (common opponent) if that tells you anything.  It's getting kind of late in the day but if Miner Pride were around the board, I'm sure he could give you some stat info  Best of luck to both teams and stay healthy!

• Like 2

Im the only Sullivan fan on here...  Both teams are hot right now. Sullivan 5 wins in a row and Vincennes 4 wins in a row.  When Sullivan played Linton we had our 3rd string qb playing. We have improved since then as well since we have our starting qb playing and healthy. Sullivan should win 22-14.

• Like 1

Wow. Unbelievable game. Unbelievable finish. 

Sullivan scores with 20.9 seconds. Failed conversion attempt. 20-14

Lincoln receives kickoff at own 37. Gets to the Sullivan 12 with 1.3 on the clock. Vickers hits Ruggles on an out route as time expires. Play was stopped for an injury. Lincoln hits the PAT. 

Lincoln 21, Sullivan 20 Final

Really hope the Sullivan kid was ok. He wasn’t moving any extremities from what I could see. The ambulance was waved onto the field almost immediately. Thoughts and prayers for the kid. 

7 minutes ago, SEAL_63 said:

Wow. Unbelievable game. Unbelievable finish. 

Sullivan scores with 20.9 seconds. Failed conversion attempt. 20-14

Lincoln receives kickoff at own 37. Gets to the Sullivan 12 with 1.3 on the clock. Vickers hits Ruggles on an out route as time expires. Play was stopped for an injury. Lincoln hits the PAT. 

Lincoln 21, Sullivan 20 Final

Really hope the Sullivan kid was ok. He wasn’t moving any extremities from what I could see. The ambulance was waved onto the field almost immediately. Thoughts and prayers for the kid. 

Wow, what a finish.  One of those memories that will last a lifetime for those kids.

2 hours ago, itiswhatitis said:

Take a look at sectional 25 and then ask that question again.

Not sure what you are getting at. But according to Sagarin 30 has a worse ‘best team’ - #144 vs 107 for Sectional 25. 

And 5 teams above 250 in Sagarin for Sectional 30 vs only 3 for Sect 25.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, nk140 said:

Wow just saw that play.  Lincoln should have been flagged.  The kid that wasn't moving was hit by a brutal illegal pick by the receiver.

4 minutes ago, nk140 said:

Thanks for posting that. Video did not show the contact well enough to determine who initiated it. I would say “inconclusive.”

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, nk140 said:

Sorry this is a better angle.  I forgot the Twitter video.  Watch the first video in comments

https://mobile.twitter.com/Rick_Sports10/status/1187937573412528129

7 minutes ago, nk140 said:

I posted the better angle above

I still don’t see a foul. There’s a little hand fighting between the receiver who caught the ball and the DB, but I would deem it incidental. Cannot see the “pick” well enough to determine if it’s OPI.

27 minutes ago, nk140 said:

Sorry this is a better angle.  I forgot the Twitter video.  Watch the first video in comments

https://mobile.twitter.com/Rick_Sports10/status/1187937573412528129

I would say it’s at least questionable. But the kid was beat on the play regardless, before the possible foul occurred. I’m sure the side judge took that into account before throwing laundry on a game-ending play. 

Edited by SEAL_63

6 minutes ago, Bobref said:

I still don’t see a foul. There’s a little hand fighting between the receiver who caught the ball and the DB, but I would deem it incidental. Cannot see the “pick” well enough to determine if it’s OPI.

Are you not watching the first video in the comments?

5 minutes ago, SEAL_63 said:

I would say it’s at least questionable. But the kid was beat on the play regardless, before the possible foul occurred. I’m sure the side judge took that into account before throwing laundry on a game-ending play. 

To me it isnt questionable.  I have no dog in the fight.  I am just stating what I see.  The last play of the game shouldn't dictate a flag being thrown.  I also think the "pick" was done a little more aggresive than planned due to the implications of the play.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, nk140 said:

Are you not watching the first video in the comments?

Oh, I thought you meant the first clip that came up. I scrolled down to the comments section and looked at that one. From that view, this is offensive pass interference. The strength of the formation is to the left side of the offense. That means the back judge keys on the widest eligible to that side. So, the player who fouled is the back judge’s responsibility, although the line judge could have picked this up, too. Enforcement would be a 15 yd. penalty from the previous spot. If time expired during the down, they would play an untimed down.

Just my opinion.

41 minutes ago, nk140 said:

To me it isnt questionable.  I have no dog in the fight.  I am just stating what I see.  The last play of the game shouldn't dictate a flag being thrown.  I also think the "pick" was done a little more aggresive than planned due to the implications of the play.

Not sure what you mean by that. I do know there are people who believe in those situations you should keep your flag in your pocket and “let the players decide it.” The people who think that way are not officials, I can assure you. You call the last play of the game the same way as the first.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Bobref said:

Oh, I thought you meant the first clip that came up. I scrolled down to the comments section and looked at that one. From that view, this is offensive pass interference. The strength of the formation is to the left side of the offense. That means the back judge keys on the widest eligible to that side. So, the player who fouled is the back judge’s responsibility, although the line judge could have picked this up, too. Enforcement would be a 15 yd. penalty from the previous spot. If time expired during the down, they would play an untimed down.

Just my opinion.

I really hope you would need more evidence than a 3 phone videos spliced together. 

If I was involved as a player, fan, or coach I might see things differently. I see an outside receiver running a post, and an inside receiver running a corner. 

The DB playing man coverage (with outside leverage) gets off balance and falls into the path of the outside receiver. 

That is why contact occurs. The end result is bad because the DB’s head probably hits the receiver’s knee. Unfortunate but not a penalty 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1