Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Best postseason run

1 hour ago, bigfish said:

What's the best postseason run you all have seen? Can be an unlikely State Champion, unlikely Sectional Champ knocking off a heavy favorite, or something else

LCC 4-peats LOS ... 2009-2012.

• Like 1

Best was our 2000 championship team (AC) that should have lost in the sectionals to Southern Wells who went on to win the 2001 championship. The game was pretty much over, but SW wanted to rub it in for slaying the proverbial giant and fumbled. AC got into field goal range and hit a game winner to move on their historic run. The 2004 AC Sectional championship team was a longshot. They were once again pitted against SW who had whipped them by around 40 in the regular season and upset them. I always say it was because of the Jeff and Joel magic (former WZBD radio announcers during those late 90s to early 2000s glory days) came back to do that game after not doing it for a couple years.

• Like 1

Gibson southern 2012.  First year of nick hart as coach. Went 7-2...OT in semis of sectionals. Win on goal line stand....following week beat memorial 24-21 in OT....then played 12-0 Charlestown who were basically having a 2018 pioneer type season in terms of scoring and defense (I think it was an average margin of 65-3) ...were down 49-21 at the half. Came back to win 56-49 and allowed only 56 yards in the 2nd half. 

it was GIbson Southerns 1st sectional championship and 1st regional championship in the schools history. 

semi state faced Chatard lol. 56-7 loss but most GS fans laugh at it as the first real taste of top tier football 

16 minutes ago, dmizers3 said:

No disrespect to LCC but Warren's 4 peat is more impressive. Much harder to so at the big school level. Especially when it's a public school without the advantages a small private school has over small school competition.

Of course there's disrespect. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, foxbat said:

Of course there's disrespect. 

Why? Because you said so?  You can recognize one accomplishment as being great while also recognizing another similar accomplishment is better.  That in no way diminishes the first.  And nothing I said was untrue or unfair. 

• Like 3

My favorites from a few years ago when South Adams upset Woodlan who was ranked number one to end the regular season. They had just lost a few weeks prior to Woodlan 36-3(?) and I didn’t even bother coming back from college to watch that game, I stayed there and watched the webcast. I had the whole dorm rattling I was yelling so much. It was the most inspired football I’ve ever seen, where a team that is outmanned but pulls it out on pure heart and guts. 

23 minutes ago, dmizers3 said:

Why? Because you said so?  You can recognize one accomplishment as being great while also recognizing another similar accomplishment is better.  That in no way diminishes the first.  And nothing I said was untrue or unfair. 

Not because I said so, but because of your "tack-on."  Completely agree with the items in bold.  Your "tack-on" was a diminishing item, not a recognizing another.  Your post would have accomplished the item in bold above without the added sentence.

BTW, New Pal looks a lot like LCC in demographics with the exception of disability percentage:

image.thumb.png.d2370745bcda3a03beec695e24e9dff6.png

image.thumb.png.95b228c8adcdad6cbc866e675d69d4b1.png

2 minutes ago, foxbat said:

Not because I said so, but because of your "tack-on."  Completely agree with the items in bold.  Your "tack-on" was a diminishing item, not a recognizing another.  Your post would have accomplished the item in bold above without the added sentence.

BTW, New Pal looks a lot like LCC in demographics with the exception of disability percentage:

image.thumb.png.d2370745bcda3a03beec695e24e9dff6.png

image.thumb.png.95b228c8adcdad6cbc866e675d69d4b1.png

Not sure what demographics has to do with anything.   My point was Warren's was more impressive for 2 reasons, tougher competition and rules regarding where you can draw your students from in a public v private environment.   Anyone winning that many in a row is amazing.   But there are some advantages for private schools.   I don't think they are what they once were but when schools like LCC, Cathedral, Chatard develope great programs there are kids and families who will send their kids there for that reason.   Typically an excellent high school education goes along with it.  And I say more power to them, great job building success. You can see the same thing in public schools like New Pal currently who have built great programs but not as extensively because that involves families moving into the district.  But let's not pretend it doesn't exist. 

• Like 3

RCHS in 2014 rolls the Hoosier Conference and then takes semi-state, by a field goal, in a rematch en route to a decisive LOS blue ring over Mater Dei.  @Coach Nowlin will need to fill in the gaps, but I think there might have been a record or two set in that LOS game for rushes, rushing yards, and first downs ... at least in 2A.

It's been mentioned in another thread..northwood ended regular season at 3-6 n went on to garner a blue ring..think they knocked off some pretty solid teams on their way down to n winning state.

1 minute ago, Offintheyard said:

2005  3-6 Northwood makes a run and wins 3A state title over Chatard 7-0

Same time!!

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Offintheyard said:

6 minutes ago, Justasportsfan said:

It's been mentioned in another thread..northwood ended regular season at 3-6 n went on to garner a blue ring..think they knocked off some pretty solid teams on their way down to n winning state.

Same time!!

9 minutes ago, BendNotBreak said:

That was.... IMPRESSIVE!!

I always thought this was one of the coolest stats that you can surmise in the State Championship program on Thanksgiving weekend.  You get to see all of the other stats like yards, points, etc., but I always thought this was the coolest.  Not sure of the details surrounding that season for Northwood, but it seems to be one of those storylines that should continually get a nod right about this time, start of sectionals, each year.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, foxbat said:

I always thought this was one of the coolest stats that you can surmise in the State Championship program on Thanksgiving weekend.  You get to see all of the other stats like yards, points, etc., but I always thought this was the coolest.  Not sure of the details surrounding that season for Northwood, but it seems to be one of those storylines that should continually get a nod right about this time, start of sectionals, each year.

I totally agree.... and I think we all can agree that building a program capable of winning a State Title is an incredibly hard thing to do!...... and a beautiful thing to c....... is it fri yet?

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Offintheyard said:

Luers went 4-5 in 2009 and then won the 2A. That was start of their 4 year run. Think that was the beginning of the Jaylon Smith era as well. They also had a 4 year title run starting in 1999. Maybe be first team to have (2) 4 year straight runs??

• Like 1

2 hours ago, foxbat said:

RCHS in 2014 rolls the Hoosier Conference and then takes semi-state, by a field goal, in a rematch en route to a decisive LOS blue ring over Mater Dei.  @Coach Nowlin will need to fill in the gaps, but I think there might have been a record or two set in that LOS game for rushes, rushing yards, and first downs ... at least in 2A.

Rushing attempts record and 1st downs for sure for state 2a.   Beating LCC that year not once but twice was quite the chore.   After Week 8 game where we won 9-0, we spent 30-45 minutes a day at practice and hour on Saturdays running the LCC Week 14 script, completely revamped the offense for that next game and just worked on being able to maniupulate where Anthrop and Cronk was going to be at SS and LB and being able to minimize backside LB play of Yeagley.   Jumped out to a 14-0 lead in the 1st quarter before settling in and winning 17-14.  LCC scored very late TD and we had to snag a onside kick with like a minute or so left.